Author Topic: planetary population chart  (Read 1748 times)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
planetary population chart
« on: 04 December 2017, 21:27:21 »
quite a while back another member gave a link to get a planetary population chart for the most populus to least populus , along with the different tech levels associated with each . if anyone remembers this post please direct me to it .
thank you

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
Re: planetary population chart
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2017, 18:50:55 »
come now , i know at least a dozen of you know the chart i'm talking about , because of your posted questions . it came out of one of the sourcebooks or rulebooks , i just don't know which or i would buy the sucker . after over 40 views , someone should know what i'm talking about .

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2017, 19:07:08 »
How old are we talking? I don’t recall ever seeing such a thing referenced around here

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2017, 21:21:31 »
The handbooks has some of the Populations of some of the planets. A complete list I don't think exists.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2017, 21:25:40 »
Maybe Oystein might know?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2017, 22:10:35 »
thanks guys , it was about 6 months back . the post was talking about lost or abandoned planets and that some still had populations  even thou the robes deleted their star/planet from all maps . so like the robes to do something like that . the member who started the post then put either a link or attachment to click on to get this population/tech level chart . i really need this page/chart for what size of units can be posted there for a certain population level . ie new colony , abandoned world with 10's of thousands to 10's of millions .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2017, 04:12:31 »
This thread maybe?  Big Duke linked to Sarna, which would also have been my first guess as to where such a list might be.  Frabby is all over stuff like that...

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2017, 05:27:21 »
I'm not aware of such a list, unfortunately. Sorry. To the best of my knowledge, most worlds never actually had a population census spelled out anywhere.

I'll also mention that such a list would be of dubious veracity, as the info needs to relate to a specific timeframe. Populations are relatively constant around the tail end of the Succession Wars era, the rise/improve up until the Civil War, and then the Jihad culled populations by the billions.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2017, 11:15:08 »
frabby  , the chart in the post came out of one of the battletech books . the chart was broken down into two parts :
top part - industrial/tech worlds w/population & the 4 or 5 letter alphabetic tech level code .
bottom part- abandoned/lost worlds w/population & same alphabetic tech level code .
i know i haven't lost my mind yet , the post is still her if i can just find it .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2017, 11:26:02 »
If you can remember just one of the world names in that list, you could try searching for that...

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2017, 12:18:21 »
You're not thinking of this, are you? It almost sounds like you're talking about the random militias from Hotspots, except for the alphabetic URI codes... Do you remember anything about the discussion it was in? It sounds vaguely familiar.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2017, 20:22:06 »
skiltao , i checked those links out , and no they weren't the chart i'm talking about , nor is Daryk's link the one . like i said in an earlier post it's a page out of one of the sourcebooks or rulebooks for bt . all i remember about the post is population numbers , tech levels , industrial level and food supply . the chart was broken down into two seperate parts , each with about 7 to 10 lines of info in each ; top part started with most populated , tech level , industrial level , ag level , then the alphabetic string of letters . this was for known worlds .
the second part was much the same , but for failed colonies , abandoned worlds and lost worlds of both the IS & periphery . of course population levels for the second part were much smaller to non existant .
i think it might have had something to do with comstar or their explorer corps . i've torn through my copies of both sourcebooks ,but could not find the chart there , so it must be from a sourcebook i haven't purchased yet . the reason i say it is from one of the bt book is i recoginize the type font and page layout style from so many of my bt collection .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2017, 20:53:02 »
I just checked the system generation section of Campaign Ops, but I don't see a summary table like you're mentioning...

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2017, 14:32:40 »
Campaign Operations does have a chart of random populations, with 7-10 entries ranging from Terra at its height down to lost and abandoned colonies; and it also has a big compilation chart of USILR stuff. Somebody could've stacked those two together and then, in the forum post, given individual worlds as an example and described the forces you might find there.

Hairbear, are you sure it was on this forum, and not Harebrained's BattleTech forum or the Facebook groups or somewhere else?

In any case, I don't see what the native population and tech level have to do with the on-world military force. Anything that can stand up to 'Mechs is going to come from a major power, and that major power will garrison the world according to its value (useful industries, interstellar trade or administrative centers, or strategic positioning), not according to its population.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2017, 19:59:02 »
thanks , skiltao you say its' in campaign ops . don't have that yet . as far as harebrained forums , don't even have their webdress . let go over to scribed to see if i can snag a copy there . if not then drivethrurpg here i come . you may have been correct about two charts being combined . i'll check that out also . thanks again.

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2017, 22:06:28 »
skiltao , as far as military forces go i'm building an AU for the tc during the time the colonial marshals were established . a lone marshal in a bm and maybe a maniple grunt infantry as deputy marshals . it was soon realzed that this type of force most likely wouldn't be enough to even slow down a determined pirate force . the ministry of colonization and trade petitioned the protector to organize a new colonial protection force called the taurian rangers . a highly militarized police force for frontier protection .
the new force would be based off of the taurian maniple , as used by their armored forces . now you may ask just where such a force idea came from , well its' been around for quite some while thanks to Mstr A and his rebuilding of the taurian armed forces . i'm just taking it one logical step forward .
 6 bm and  auxillary forces (min 6 tks , 30 inf & 2 asf )
18 bm and auxillary forces (min 18 tks , 90 inf & 4 asf )                                                                                                                 54 bm and auxillary forces ( min 54 tks , 270 inf & 8 asf )
so the colonial marshals would be assigned to fresh startup colonies with as yet very low populations , the taurian rangers would be assigned to older colonies that are still considered colonies , but are beginning to have populations greater than just a few hundred at most . these larger colonies are also beginning to produce food stuffs , raw ores and other goods that need protecting from pirates and other interstellar riffraff for transshipment back to major industrial centers .
questions , comments will all be read , followed...maybe if they fit my AU .

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2017, 09:50:31 »
skiltao , thanks for the pm , not exactly the same chart , but you know something , i can work with it .
thanks a million

Register