Author Topic: Star trek, R rated??!  (Read 8007 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Star trek, R rated??!
« Reply #30 on: 10 December 2017, 07:29:32 »
In all seriousness... Logan and Deadpool pulled off successes thought to be impossible. It's worth a shot, innit?

A not R-rated Tarntino movie would be very intresting. I don't know if the guy could do it. It was such a big deal when Disco dropped a F-bomb. I wonder what would happen when it drops a couple of dozen from that movie.
I actually think Tarantino might do a better job than Discovery did. The man knows the use of dialogue, whereas that scene in Discovery was a rather pointless attempt at "look at me I'm so with it".

Trek has been flirting with it for quite some time anyway. "Double dumbass on you" anyone?

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #31 on: 10 December 2017, 10:46:54 »
I would consider going to see it if Christoph Waltz is in it.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 10 December 2017, 11:24:18 »
In all seriousness... Logan and Deadpool pulled off successes thought to be impossible. It's worth a shot, innit?

Adult oriented comic books with gratuitous swearing and violence have been a thing for decades, though, and both Deadpool and Wolverine have been part of it.  Star Trek, not so much.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #33 on: 10 December 2017, 11:42:59 »
But, Star Trek hasn't been averse to various gory demises. Or, demises in general. Remember the pile of gel that was the Science officer in the Motion Picture? The frozen corpses early on in season one of The Next Generation aboard a derelict Oberth class? And, with the JJ verse, we see more bodies in vacuum. People half-in-half-out of bulkheads in Voyager?

In fact, if anything, Star Trek has gone out of its way to point out how deadly space can be, and how even advanced tech might not be enough to keep one safe.

With the new visual possibilities, it's possible to really explore the gory, lethal side of space exploration. It would be kinda funny, as well, for someone to drop a swearword and have another higher-rank go Captain America and call 'Language!'. And, using Firefly as an example, they can get away with creatively masking it. Plenty of Klingon or Vulcan to work with, let alone all the dying Earth languages.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #34 on: 10 December 2017, 12:21:19 »
In fact, if anything, Star Trek has gone out of its way to point out how deadly space can be, and how even advanced tech might not be enough to keep one safe.
I remember this one scene in TNG: there is a fire, couple crew members put it out by exposing the room to the vacuum, then rush across the airless room towards a control console to raise the shields (maybe?) and restore the atmosphere.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #35 on: 10 December 2017, 12:25:47 »

Apparently Quinten Tarentino is looking to direct the next Star trek, and reports of him being singing on to it, came ONLY after the owners agreed to allow him to turn it into yet another of his cuss word laden R rated film festivals. 

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

IF he gets it off the ground, would YOU be interested in watching such a show?

I highly, highly HIGHLY doubt that anyone sane at Paramount would have signed off on an ultra-violent, profanity-laced Star Trek. First, it's a venerable franchise that still has pretensions of being a family franchise. They sell toys, for cryin' out loud! Second, fans would riot in the streets, as it would be a perversion of everything the franchise had stood for -- if Gene Roddenberry weren't dead and his ashes in space, this would have killed him. Third, the news is from a gossip site. Wake me when this is reported by the LA Times or someone, and actually uses named, on-the-record sources.

Trek has been flirting with it for quite some time anyway. "Double dumbass on you" anyone?

Except that that movie was still PG, it was the LEAST violent in the series, and the line was not gratuitous, but to establish that Kirk and crew hadn't a clue how to blend in with 1980's America. And let's face it -- "dumbass" is squeaky-clean compared to the language that drivers use in the real world  :))

But, Star Trek hasn't been averse to various gory demises. Or, demises in general. Remember the pile of gel that was the Science officer in the Motion Picture? The frozen corpses early on in season one of The Next Generation aboard a derelict Oberth class? And, with the JJ verse, we see more bodies in vacuum. People half-in-half-out of bulkheads in Voyager?

But there's the difference between establishing a threat and being "Rated 'M' for Money". And all of those have been still fairly restrained. The Motion Picture was originally rated G, for instance. (That's still when G meant something, but still...)

And, using Firefly as an example, they can get away with creatively masking it. Plenty of Klingon or Vulcan to work with, let alone all the dying Earth languages.

But that wouldn't be Tarantino-esque R-rating material. Star Wars Rebels freely drops the "K-bomb" (the in universe curse "Karabast") in a Disney show rated TV-Y7.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 12:27:42 by Pat Payne »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 10 December 2017, 13:04:58 »
I highly, highly HIGHLY doubt that anyone sane at Paramount would have signed off on an ultra-violent, profanity-laced Star Trek. First, it's a venerable franchise that still has pretensions of being a family franchise. They sell toys, for cryin' out loud!

Having a toyline isn't really an indication that a franchise is for kids or family friendly.

Robocop, Predator, Aliens, and Hellraiser all had action figure lines.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 10 December 2017, 13:09:26 »
Hellraiser had toys?? Now there is a movie should never have a toy line lol

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 10 December 2017, 13:37:02 »
They weren't marketed to kids.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 10 December 2017, 13:50:38 »
Except that that movie was still PG, it was the LEAST violent in the series, and the line was not gratuitous, but to establish that Kirk and crew hadn't a clue how to blend in with 1980's America. And let's face it -- "dumbass" is squeaky-clean compared to the language that drivers use in the real world  :))
True. That was THE most feel-good Trek movie ever ::) if there was a Trek Christmas special, that would be it.

"Gratuitous" is the only way to describe the Discovery F-bombs though. And that is a shame.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #40 on: 10 December 2017, 13:56:04 »

With the new visual possibilities, it's possible to really explore the gory, lethal side of space exploration. It would be kinda funny, as well, for someone to drop a swearword and have another higher-rank go Captain America and call 'Language!'. And, using Firefly as an example, they can get away with creatively masking it. Plenty of Klingon or Vulcan to work with, let alone all the dying Earth languages.

There was also that first season TNG episode where Picard and Riker phasered a guy...he ended up going explody and a creature pulled an "Alien" out of the wreckage...that'd still be pretty shocking on network TV even today...

Hellraiser had toys?? Now there is a movie should never have a toy line lol

Well...there's toys and then there's toys...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 10 December 2017, 14:01:25 »
There was also that first season TNG episode where Picard and Riker phasered a guy...he ended up going explody and a creature pulled an "Alien" out of the wreckage...that'd still be pretty shocking on network TV even today.

Which stood out as especially odd because every episode before or after hap people either fall over or disappear upon getting phasered.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 10 December 2017, 16:38:12 »
I remember this one scene in TNG: there is a fire, couple crew members put it out by exposing the room to the vacuum, then rush across the airless room towards a control console to raise the shields (maybe?) and restore the atmosphere.

That was Geordi and Dr. Crusher...this was the same episode where Picard got trapped on a turbolift with three kids that were the winners of the science fair, and they had to climb up the shaft because the safety systems failed, and the lift fell...Riker and Data had to crawl through Jeffries tubes to get to engineering to save the ship from a warp core explosion or some-such because apparently everyone down there was killed (otherwise, why did they have to go down several decks to get there when others would have been closer?)...where Worf had to deliver Keiko's baby in 10 Forward...and where Troi was in command when they hit the cosmic filament that wrecked the ship, with basically only Ro and Chief O'Brien on the bridge with her, and Ro was pressing her to detach the saucer to save most of the crew because of the explosion that was to happen...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 10 December 2017, 17:36:37 »
You know, speaking of Picard, Patrick Stewart's on record as "if there's any way I can get in on this film I want it, I love Tarantino's work" - so just keep that in your mind.

Idly, a Klingon heist movie would be amazing fun.  Or play up a remake of Magnificent Seven, where Picard looks up Worf to hire some under-the-table muscle to deal with a pirate problem on his retirement planet that Starfleet is too busy to handle.  Maybe they have to steal a Defiant from a starfleet boneyard as part of the fun, then go at it in space and on the ground with the pirates.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 17:39:42 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 10 December 2017, 17:45:34 »
You know, speaking of Picard, Patrick Stewart's on record as "if there's any way I can get in on this film I want it, I love Tarantino's work" - so just keep that in your mind.

Idly, a Klingon heist movie would be amazing fun.  Or play up a remake of Magnificent Seven, where Picard looks up Worf to hire some under-the-table muscle to deal with a pirate problem on his retirement planet that Starfleet is too busy to handle.  Maybe they have to steal a Defiant from a starfleet boneyard as part of the fun, then go at it in space and on the ground with the pirates.

Starring the Duras Sisters? :D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 10 December 2017, 17:48:29 »

Aren't they a bit dead for that?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 10 December 2017, 17:48:41 »
No, they're paste since Generations.  Get a new villain!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 10 December 2017, 17:51:26 »
I meant for the Klingon heist story...

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #48 on: 10 December 2017, 23:50:24 »

Yup. It wasn't a normal fire, either. It was glowing green.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 11 December 2017, 02:24:39 »
And one of the numerous examples of the silly construction of Starfleet vessels.  Why in the world would you put the emergency close button for an airlock on a wall on the other side of the room from the button that opens it?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 11 December 2017, 02:51:54 »
I actually think Tarantino might do a better job than Discovery did. The man knows the use of dialogue, whereas that scene in Discovery was a rather pointless attempt at "look at me I'm so with it".

True, Deadpool/Logan pulled it off, but both were KNOWN for their crassness..  I've not remembered much in the way of cussing in ALL my watching of trek (or reading it)..

I wouldn't call that gory..  The 'gel' was just there..  The vaccum of people, had no blood or body parts..  And the people in walls, was just 'there (like they were in a hole)//

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #51 on: 11 December 2017, 03:13:16 »
And one of the numerous examples of the silly construction of Starfleet vessels.  Why in the world would you put the emergency close button for an airlock on a wall on the other side of the room from the button that opens it?

Actually the close button was right there next to the open switch.  What they had to get to was the controls to repressurize the room.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #52 on: 11 December 2017, 09:18:34 »
A not R-rated Tarntino movie would be very intresting. I don't know if the guy could do it.

He managed to direct an episode of ER that met broadcast standards....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register