Author Topic: Gosh Darn the Koreans are Kicking Booty on the Giant Robot Front!  (Read 1524 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=BLKZzMdWKjo

Look at that Bad Boy walk forward and Back, and the chains on the shoulders are NOT supporting it (just a safety strap in case it tips!)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: Gosh Darn the Koreans are Kicking Booty on the Giant Robot Front!
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2017, 11:07:56 »
Swing those hips, botty!

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2017, 12:25:24 »
I wonder, would that thing survive a kick and following PSR check? :))
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2017, 12:31:08 »

Yeah, the technology looks great, but it also looks top-heavy as hell. I have to imagine in an actual duel it'd end up on its back pretty quickly.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2017, 22:30:47 »
The Method still work in progress.  I think it needs to be bit beefer.   I don't think the creators have taken for the account of protecting the pilot should the machine fall down.  That front window doesnt seem to be caged or reinforced from what i seen.   

Another thing it's way too wobbly.  I can see it being used to help with construction if this thing can be made to bit faster, but not as military vehicle.  not until they figure out how to armor it better.  The thing seems to be able to piloted remotely, so it that's thing too but not with all the noise it generates.  At first i thought the noise was from the overhead crane it's using as back up to keep it from falling over, but i think alot of it is from the legs.  US Army squashed Boston Dynamic's Big Dog robot project they were considering to use as essentially as pack mule for squads because it was so noisy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2017, 22:57:59 »
Yeah, the technology looks great, but it also looks top-heavy as hell. I have to imagine in an actual duel it'd end up on its back pretty quickly.
the top is literally just a lightweight frame to house the pilot. looks like the power and computer stuff is external at the moment. i suspect once they have the bugs worked out on the balance and walking, they'll design a version that fits those into the torso area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4LYGil7kOo
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 23:02:45 by glitterboy2098 »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2017, 23:05:23 »
Not really new as there are older videos of that thing wobbling about. While the tech might be impressive that bot... isn't. Not to me anyway.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2017, 23:34:51 »

Would the pilot be able to avoid taking falling damage?

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2017, 23:41:43 »
A lot of that wobbling could be fixed with hips that moved like a human's does. Sure, it's working its center of balance to be over a foot at any given time. But, you could do that more efficiently with a waist-ball set-up almost reminiscent of the 3.5" GI Joe figures.

The human hip bone isn't rigidly horizontal. It can rotate each side along the vertical and forward-backward lateral on each extreme, as well. That's the case in a lot of endoskeletal structures.

I've dabbled in hand-rendered animation, and I've had to pay attention to this for things to look 'natural'.

Give it time. They'll eventually get it right.

Register