Author Topic: Warlord XL... Backstabbers need not apply.  (Read 2300 times)

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
Warlord XL... Backstabbers need not apply.
« on: 30 January 2018, 07:13:38 »
A "just because" design I came up with a while ago. It's just an enlarged Warlord with a little bit more armor. And because of that armor and the resulting low speed, I also decided to give it a "DISAPPEAR!" button for any cheeky backstabbers.  }:)

Warlord XL Surprise

Mass: 95 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Era Specific
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F-A
Production Year: 3132
Cost: 28.494.765 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2.896

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Composite
Power Plant: Unknown 285 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 32,4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54,0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Hardened
Armament:
    2  Heavy PPCs
    6  ER Medium Lasers
    6  Rocket Launcher 10s
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Composite               145 points                7,50
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 1 LA, 1 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             285                       8,50
    Walking MP: 3
    Running MP: 5
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             16(32)                    6,00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA
Gyro:               Compact                                                4,50
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3,00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Hardened                     AV - 284                 35,50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     30           45       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  12       
                                           L/R Torso     20           30       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  10       
                                             L/R Arm     16           30       
                                             L/R Leg     20           39       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supercharger                                 CT        -         1         1,00
3 (R) Rocket Launcher 10s                    RT        9         3         1,50
3 ER Medium Lasers                           RT        15        3         3,00
3 (R) Rocket Launcher 10s                    LT        9         3         1,50
3 ER Medium Lasers                           LT        15        3         3,00
Heavy PPC                                    RA        15        4        10,00
Heavy PPC                                    LA        15        4        10,00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

Also, I know that the supercharger is a suboptimal choice on a 3/5 - 3/4 Mech, but I wasn't going for optimized. ^^
« Last Edit: 30 January 2018, 07:16:06 by SD501st »

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
Re: Warlord XL... Backstabbers need not apply.
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2018, 11:45:24 »
That is a very cool idea for rear-mounted weapons. The heat generated is a bit much, and 2x RL-20 might be better on that front, but for damage per unit weight committed, I like it.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2018, 14:37:05 »
That is a very cool idea for rear-mounted weapons. The heat generated is a bit much, and 2x RL-20 might be better on that front, but for damage per unit weight committed, I like it.
The advantage of the RL10 vs. the RL20 is range. So this Warlord will be able to hit a speedy backstabber from farther away.

Plus more critical slots are used, so crit padding is improved.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2018, 16:24:18 »
The advantage of the RL10 vs. the RL20 is range. So this Warlord will be able to hit a speedy backstabber from farther away.

Plus more critical slots are used, so crit padding is improved.

It's the same number of crits, and who can get 10 hexes away to backstab unless you've totally turned around?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2018, 16:35:35 »
Not enough rockets!

I built a 40-ton quad way back that mount 7 RL/10s aft (with IIRC a MPL battery forward). Anyone who tries to backstab it is going to feel the pain!

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2018, 20:18:11 »
best use of rocket launchers I have ever seen!
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2018, 00:26:58 »
Aside from the loss of the ability to punch something, have you considered taking out the actuators to allow the mech to flip arms and thus be able to fire the RLs into any arc?

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2018, 12:55:42 »
Aside from the loss of the ability to punch something, have you considered taking out the actuators to allow the mech to flip arms and thus be able to fire the RLs into any arc?

Quite honestly, it wouldn't be worth the loss of punching...being a one shot weapon.  If it were missiles, maybe....rockets...no.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2018, 15:06:07 »
Hmmm...
Interesting idea, but what about the SECOND backstabber?  :D
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2018, 15:13:18 »
Hmmm...

Ya know....all those rocket launchers weight 3 tons combined....how about a LPPC?  It has serious reach...albeit light damage potential....but WOW...imagine the look on someone's face! 

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2018, 15:56:47 »
The main purpose of rear weapons (usually) isn't to get the best use, but not to be needed at all. A massive RL battery does provide a pretty good reason for no backstabber to want to be number one... ;)

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2018, 06:33:24 »
The main purpose of rear weapons (usually) isn't to get the best use, but not to be needed at all. A massive RL battery does provide a pretty good reason for no backstabber to want to be number one... ;)
It is perfectly heat neutral firing both HPPC's on a run or the ERML array... that's 30 points of damage thrown out at minimum. Another 5 point hit at long range was frankly not worth the heat trouble it would bring in my mind. ^^

Or wait, are you suggesting a LPPC as rear mounted weapon? While that may be funny, the minimum range(in which the backstabbers will mostly likely be) would give it a targeting modifier comparable to the bad one that the RL's get(+1 for secondary target, +1 for being RL's) and would take the damage output down to a measly 5 dmg. Not much of a deterrent. :-/

Hmmm...

As Sabelkatten said, the array is there as an "OH SHIT" factor to deter anyone from getting into the rear arc... and if someone is stupid enough to do it anyway, that's where the "DISSAPPEAR" button and the "tiny bit more armor" comes in.

Mhm, maybe I should have pointed that out more clearly to begin with, because the Mech carries HARDENED armor, with 12/10 points on the rear CT/ST's... that ougth to frustrate a backstabber enough that no one will try it a second time after seeing the former backstabber being blown to pieces while not even punching through the armor.  #P

I can't get this picture out of my head. For some reason I envision the RL's being mounted in the lower part of the Mechs rear, having protective covers that slide down once they fire... like the Mech is pulling down it's pants to show them some really deadly fartgas!  [blank]

In case that's not enough of a deterrent... a backhand from a 95 ton Mech is! And that's why the supercharger is in there. Backstabbers tend to overheat when they think they can take you out or cripple you, and if they don't have JJ's to get the hell out then they will get an assault fist to the face. ^-^#

Or you get the array of the Mech's friendlies to the face.  :3

By the way... I'm thinking about quirks. Multi-Track would obviously benefit the Mech, having 2 distinct bracket armaments. Firing one HPPC at a distant target and 3 ERML's at a close target along with a swing of the unengaged arm. My question now is... would Multi-Track also influence the modificator for the rear arc target? If so, it would be perfect.

Now, assuming I go with Multi-Track... which negative quirk do I take to balance it out? Non-Standard parts are an obvious choice because of the hardened armor, but somehow that one lacks... flavour. So, any suggestions that fit the fluff of an enlarged Warlord? And while we're at it, any other quirk suggestions, positive and negative that both help the Mech and fit the fluff?
« Last Edit: 06 February 2018, 07:06:25 by SD501st »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2018, 08:28:10 »
It's the same number of crits, and who can get 10 hexes away to backstab unless you've totally turned around?

In my games if a weapon took a hit, it would be totally gone. So a RL-20 that has been damaged by hitting one of it's critical spaces was useless against other critical hits to the other two slots. (Probably playing the game wrong, but oh well.)

And the second part of your question? Easy. Look up any number of Spider variants. The Wraith could probably do it as well.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2018, 15:53:20 »
Not enough rockets!

I built a 40-ton quad way back that mount 7 RL/10s aft (with IIRC a MPL battery forward). Anyone who tries to backstab it is going to feel the pain!

Anyone who backstabs a quad rather than sidestabbing it *deserves* to feel the pain.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2018, 18:21:49 »
Anyone who backstabs a quad rather than sidestabbing it *deserves* to feel the pain.
Well... Against a quad without rear guns backstabbing is still arguably superior.

But in this case it was a rather ridiculous close-combat quad, so the likelyhood of some enemy being in the rear arc as pretty high! :D

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2018, 15:03:37 »
Well... Against a quad without rear guns backstabbing is still arguably superior.

But in this case it was a rather ridiculous close-combat quad, so the likelyhood of some enemy being in the rear arc as pretty high! :D

Every time I read "close-combat quad", I get the desire to put TSM and talons on it.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2018, 20:33:42 »
Well, 3060 design so no Talons. TC'd MPLs back when you could still make aimed shots with them. ;)