Author Topic: Base extensions for the plastic mech lance packs  (Read 3360 times)

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Base extensions for the plastic mech lance packs
« on: 05 February 2018, 16:15:08 »
This is a real shot in the dark, but has anyone made base extensions for the old Starter/Alpha Strike plastic mech sets, to turn them into full hexes? I'm a bit fussy about it & like all my stuff to be uniform. I could do something myself, but would rather see if someone has already done this (such as on Shapeways, etc)!

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Base extensions for the plastic mech lance packs
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2018, 16:48:39 »
If you have access to a 3D printer, I saw a version or two on thingiverse.

Carlson793

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2018, 17:01:30 »
You could just trim the bases enough to fit the standard hex bases from IWM. Think if you cut off any beveling and sand the bottom a touch, they'd fit in the recess of a standard hex base.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2018, 17:15:15 »
I use Litko's 30mm Plywood bases, and just glue the minis to that.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2018, 13:59:29 »
You could just trim the bases enough to fit the standard hex bases from IWM. Think if you cut off any beveling and sand the bottom a touch, they'd fit in the recess of a standard hex base.

+1, and you know to fill in the gaps.

Otherwise, being plastic, they're also easy to cut off and fit to flat surfaces.  As an example, look at my Generic Teams Red and Yellow.  Those are Litko Games transparent plastic hex bases. Some of the smaller, lighter mechs you have to be careful about. I had a difficult time with the Whitworth because its feet are so narrow.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2018, 14:50:50 »
I may use the metal base idea, since that would give them a little more bottom heft & keep them from tipping over. The only downside is I bough 2 of ALL of the Alpha Strike boxes, so that'll be a fair number of metal bases!

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2018, 15:10:04 »
4 per pack. So, it's not that bad. But, if you're tight on funds, it can be a challenge. I had to do that for all my metal Mechs, too, anyway.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Carlson793

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2018, 15:47:19 »
I may use the metal base idea, since that would give them a little more bottom heft & keep them from tipping over. The only downside is I bough 2 of ALL of the Alpha Strike boxes, so that'll be a fair number of metal bases!
Option 1.1: One pack IWM hex bases, one tube of good silicone caulk, a small pack of hydrostone (or other casting material). Basically use the caulk to make a mold of the hex bases, and cast your own from hydrostone.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2018, 15:56:04 »
I would not worry about the plastic mech's tipping over...and if they do...they're plastic :D

If you really want to save cash, your absolute best bang for your buck is these folks:

http://www.proxiemodels.com/store2/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_59&product_id=59

Under $5 for 30 hex bases. I use these for all my minis. They are ... slightly smaller than the metal bases, and by slightly I'm talking .5 of a mm flat-flat.

They are also fairly flat, so not much 'shaving' will need to be done to your plastic to get them to fit the hex.

And they have been talked about A LOT on the forums:

example:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=21022.0

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2018, 15:57:37 »
I cut the IWM bases on used gift cards, glue them down after filling in, put some of the sprue metal on it to build it up a bit along with providing some weight, and then decorate.

I also use it for my metal minis, keeping the few metal ones I have bought to go on those mechs that have balance problems.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2018, 04:18:25 »
I cut a balsa wood base and filled the void with a milliput or
instead of balsa wood you can also use plastic, like old cards like I did for the cyclop:

IMG_20171223_123707 by agen2, su Flickr

IMG_20180209_101224 by agen2, su Flickr

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2018, 09:07:46 »
I trim off the sides and the number from the bottom and mount them on plastic hex bases from Proxiemodels or Reaper.

draigthedm

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2018, 19:22:59 »
What is the best way to trim the sides of the bases.  I bought some 30mm hex bases with a lip.  i need to trim the sides of the alpha strike bases to make them fit

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2018, 20:05:13 »
simplest... get a sprue cutter, also called a flush cutter (orange handle in the pic). it's a diagonal cutter that cuts flush on one side. it's great with soft materials, not recommended for hard (like antenna wire). when cutting, keep the flush side towards the plastic you want to keep, deformation will be minimal.

draigthedm

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2018, 21:11:02 »
Thanks.  I was actually thinking going after it with a dremel but this will probably work better

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2018, 21:28:22 »
If you don't want to spend more on new tools just drop the base in hot water then slice off the section you don't need with a hobby knife. Once the plastic gets warmed up its very easy to cut. Then place on metal or plastic hex bases.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2018, 21:45:00 »
I generally don't recommend using a hobby knife to cut anything except paper or thin materials on a cutting mat, simply because it's so easy to stab yourself. Less than $10 on Amazon or the like will get you the flush cutters, and freedom from knife wounds. Snip snip snip snip and you're done vs. time to heat water, soak the mini, and carefully carve off the edges (assuming you don't need to spend time dressing a wound or getting stitches).  ;)

Register