Author Topic: Better 1 ton anti infantry option 3025  (Read 4516 times)

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
Better 1 ton anti infantry option 3025
« on: 17 February 2018, 18:21:48 »
So I am curious what is the best option for an anti infantry weapon for a mech with a decent heat load in 3025 for only 1 total ton?  The two options I can think of is either the machine gun or the flamer.

So either 1 machine gun with a half ton of ammo with the benefit of no heat so it can always be fired so long as a target is in range or the flamer with no ammo to explode or run out, flame/smoke utility, and the ability raise heat but will be unable to be used outside of anti infantry use in most situations due to the additional heat load.

So which is usually better or did I forget a 3025 era battlemech weapon that would do a better job?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Better 1 ton anti infantry option 3025
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2018, 18:24:42 »
A SRM-2 becomes an infantry killer when loaded with Infernos.

"Oh that infantry found a great place to dig in... it'd be a shame if someone burned it down...."
« Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 18:26:38 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2018, 18:35:20 »
A SRM-2 becomes an infantry killer when loaded with Infernos.

"Oh that infantry found a great place to dig in... it'd be a shame if someone burned it down...."

True but that takes two tons sadly.  Also how bad is it if they hit the ammo n that?  Books always made it sound so scary to load those but on here people make it sound like it is nothing to worry about.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2018, 18:38:27 »
Well in the absence of CASE, any ammo hit is probably the end of the mech's involvement. Infernos or not.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2018, 18:41:00 »
Well in the absence of CASE, any ammo hit is probably the end of the mech's involvement. Infernos or not.

Probably but I was wondering how does inferno missile explosions damage a mech?  I may be misremembering what exactly happens but I thought that ammo explosion damage was something like each shot of ammo left deals its damage all at once in to the mech but infernos raise heat not normal damage so how does it work with infernos?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2018, 18:44:43 »
Flamer kills more infantry, uses 1 crit, and has no ammo concern
MG uses up 2 crits (gun+ammo), can be very destructive if the ammo is hit, but doesn't have to worry about heat.

i'd say it is a situational thing (space available, whether you want the option of a 'less-than-lethal' options like rubber bullets ,etc) but for anti-infantry, the Flamer is generally the superior choice.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2018, 18:49:11 »
+1 on the flamer - it does more than kill infantry.

Sure, the range isn't everything, but the flexibility is great.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2018, 19:07:05 »
My original thought was to go with the flamer since I tend to value having no ammo concerns but in this case I was wondering if I was making too much of that since machine guns get 100 shots on a half ton and that is way more than enough I believe in a standard game even if you use it every round you can against any target you can.  So then I began to wonder if the extra potential to add an extra 2 damage against close up mechs would outweigh the benefits of the flamer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2018, 20:01:04 »
+1 more for the Flamer.  Weapons without ammo are the way to go even if you have access to CASE.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2018, 20:59:43 »
My first experience with ammo explosions was an MG bin on a custom Baneshee....
More than 15 years ago.   I'm still nervous about machine guns.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2018, 21:59:57 »
Flamers also have the ability to ignite hexes for some smoke cover.  That can be hugely useful when you're not barbecuing folks.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2018, 22:15:24 »
One more for Flamer, doen't need ammo or explode when hit.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

brother elf

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2018, 02:35:12 »
Probably but I was wondering how does inferno missile explosions damage a mech?  I may be misremembering what exactly happens but I thought that ammo explosion damage was something like each shot of ammo left deals its damage all at once in to the mech but infernos raise heat not normal damage so how does it work with infernos?

You get normal SRM ammo explosion damage on top of raised heat (2/missile, up to 30 max), and on top of that, inferno missiles have their own scale of explosion checks, which starts at 10 heat.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2018, 03:14:00 »
I'd agree with what was said about flamers.  But if damage potential against mechs is an important secondary consideration then the Rapid Fire optional rule for machine guns will give you a reason to think about using them.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2018, 04:13:48 »
It's not exactly what you're after, but later on I'd say the go-to anti-infantry choice would have to be a mPL, only half a ton and one heat with no chance of boom!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2018, 06:03:32 »
It's not exactly what you're after, but later on I'd say the go-to anti-infantry choice would have to be a mPL, only half a ton and one heat with no chance of boom!

It´s also Clan exclusive, *AND* was invented long after 3025.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2018, 08:10:39 »
If there is only a ton available, I would tend to go with the flamer...if there was 1.5 tons (and 3 crits) available, I would go with 2 MG's and a half ton of ammo...

So, to me, the choice would be the flamer...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2018, 12:58:27 »
But would you want to whip out the flamers within your own cities?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2018, 13:10:30 »
People are a renewable resource. >:D

More seriously though the Flamer and it's 4d6 against infantry is just really hard to beat in 3025.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2018, 15:10:46 »
But would you want to whip out the flamers within your own cities?

Eh, in 3025 city fighting is usually in those decaying sprawls that used to be cities. The SW chivalric code encourages fighting there rather than in still-occupied cities.  Remember: 3rd SW is a post apocalyptic setting.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2018, 16:09:01 »
Aren't infantry platoons 1 ton as well?  No heat to your unit and pretty much a deposit and forget weapon.  Comes in many different loadouts as well.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2018, 16:21:04 »
Infantry squads are generally around 1 ton.  Platoons are 3 tons (for foot, at least).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 18 February 2018, 16:47:04 »

Thanks.  It's been a while since I looked them up.

Infantry squads are generally around 1 ton.  Platoons are 3 tons (for foot, at least).

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 18 February 2018, 16:51:26 »
I would say that one flamer is better than one (or two for that matter) MG.

However, three or four MGs can be surprisingly effective and are better than two flamers, which generate quite a lot of heat by succession wars standards.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2018, 19:43:24 »
You get normal SRM ammo explosion damage on top of raised heat (2/missile, up to 30 max), and on top of that, inferno missiles have their own scale of explosion checks, which starts at 10 heat.

Wow thanks so the fluff does match the crunch this time that is nasty.

Flamers also have the ability to ignite hexes for some smoke cover.  That can be hugely useful when you're not barbecuing folks.

Yes that was another thing I like about flamers.  I am glad that it sounds like it is as useful as it sounds.

I'd agree with what was said about flamers.  But if damage potential against mechs is an important secondary consideration then the Rapid Fire optional rule for machine guns will give you a reason to think about using them.

What does that do exactly?  I thought the rapid fire meant that it was effective against infantry.

Aren't infantry platoons 1 ton as well?  No heat to your unit and pretty much a deposit and forget weapon.  Comes in many different loadouts as well.

I loled with this one.  This would be fun though I do like being able to use a weapon at all times it is needed rather than use once and then have to pick it up again.  Still I believe this works better for me than the A pods that came later (since I dislike ammo I really dislike 1 time use only weapons even more).

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 18 February 2018, 22:18:53 »

I have a mental image of a mech shooting infantry guys out of a tube like the hot dog launcher at a ball game...

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2018, 23:15:13 »
What does that do exactly?  I thought the rapid fire meant that it was effective against infantry.

It allows a machine gun to do a variable amount of damage  (iirc 1d6 rather than a static 2) at a cost of increased ammo expenditure and some heat gain (again iirc based on the result of your 1d6 roll).

It does have the potential to do respectable damage to a mech or tank if you're close enough, and MG ammo bins are deep enough to not care about random rates of ammo consumption.  The kicker is the unpredictable heat gain, but many 3025 mechs (like the bug mechs) probably still won't care.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2018, 00:21:04 »
Looking only at game rules, flamer all the way. Even without special rules, not having an explosive crit is pretty hard to beat, plus it does crazy damage on infantry squads.

From a fluff perspective...for some reason shooting people is a far more acceptable practice than roasting them to death. Regularly flambéing people that shoot at you tends to get one labeled a butcher or war criminal...as does lighting random brush and forest fires. Machine guns tend to cause much less controversy. So the more you are role playing, the less useful flamers are. Unless you role play a very unpleasant person!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 19 February 2018, 00:46:15 »
Looking only at game rules, flamer all the way. Even without special rules, not having an explosive crit is pretty hard to beat, plus it does crazy damage on infantry squads.

From a fluff perspective...for some reason shooting people is a far more acceptable practice than roasting them to death. Regularly flambéing people that shoot at you tends to get one labeled a butcher or war criminal...as does lighting random brush and forest fires. Machine guns tend to cause much less controversy. So the more you are role playing, the less useful flamers are. Unless you role play a very unpleasant person!

Who says that's a role?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2018, 03:06:04 »
Who says that's a role?

Oh, some want to play the villain or anti-hero while some characters take just on a life of their own.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2018, 07:46:23 »
A bit further down the timeline (2609 - 2950, 3037+), the small pulse laser becomes a third anti-infantry option at 1-ton.  It generates the same heat as a flamer, has the same range, isn't as effective against infantry but is a stronger anti-armor/anti-'Mech weapon. 

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2018, 08:11:54 »
Does the SPL still get its -2 THM against infantry?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2018, 11:39:40 »
Flamers are always the way to go. Burn the poor little jerks wherever they are, burn down the buildings they are in, or the really mean part, ignite every hex around them and let nature take it's course.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2018, 11:52:24 »
My two choices would be either:

Flamer - as said, 4D6 damage against infantry, useful for setting fires or heating up an already overheated adversary, and no ammo explosion worries.

Medium Laser - only problem is that just 1 squishy bites it each time you hit (2 if they're in the open).  Park at 5 hexes, and no matter whether they move forward or back, they're still in medium range, with no return fire.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2018, 14:28:59 »

Medium Laser - only problem is that just 1 squishy bites it each time you hit (2 if they're in the open).  Park at 5 hexes, and no matter whether they move forward or back, they're still in medium range, with no return fire.

Only against rifle infantry. If they are mechanised or have crew served weapons... that sucks. and a 28 man platoon takes a long time to kill.

Flamers unless you are a heat monster.  But machine guns work better in groups (eg: .5t ammo to 4 machine guns)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2018, 22:49:45 »
A bit further down the timeline (2609 - 2950, 3037+), the small pulse laser becomes a third anti-infantry option at 1-ton.  It generates the same heat as a flamer, has the same range, isn't as effective against infantry but is a stronger anti-armor/anti-'Mech weapon.

True I often think about that for later campaigns but sadly not an option here.

One thing that always bothered after I learned that the SPL deals extra damage to infantry is why do not the other pulse lasers?  I understand why they may be no more effective since I assume once you have a SPL that can people essentially near instantly having a bigger laser would not kill somebody any faster however since at least in my mind each of these lasers would fire in the same way just with different amounts of power and range I do not see why the medium or large pulse lasers could not also damage infantry the same as a SPL other than to give the SPL a special ability.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 21 February 2018, 00:47:24 »
True I often think about that for later campaigns but sadly not an option here.

One thing that always bothered after I learned that the SPL deals extra damage to infantry is why do not the other pulse lasers?  I understand why they may be no more effective since I assume once you have a SPL that can people essentially near instantly having a bigger laser would not kill somebody any faster however since at least in my mind each of these lasers would fire in the same way just with different amounts of power and range I do not see why the medium or large pulse lasers could not also damage infantry the same as a SPL other than to give the SPL a special ability.

Unless I missed something, Small Pulse Lasers only get the same Pulse bonus of other Pulse lasers, not the Anti-Infantry bonus that the Flamer and Machine Gun.
*edit: I did miss it, see post below*

Why do Flamers and Machine Guns get a AI bonus? 1.) in games, they are purpose built weapons to engage infantry. Real world, many players considered the weapons a wast of tonnage until the Anti-infantry angle   
« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 01:29:31 by SteelRaven »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #37 on: 21 February 2018, 00:49:29 »
No, small pulse lasers get 2d6 versus infantry as well.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 21 February 2018, 00:56:25 »
No, small pulse lasers get 2d6 versus infantry as well.
*edit* missed it, thanks. Didn't have the AI indicator on my record sheets but it's in the books

The I guess for the same reasons as a MGs and flamers considering the short range of the SPL vs the standard Medium Laser
« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 01:28:15 by SteelRaven »

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #39 on: 21 February 2018, 02:07:06 »
I'd always go with flamers if I only had one ton to spare.  And if you have more tons, more flamers are always good.  There's a custom loadout in a roster of mine called the "Napalm sticks to kids" }:)  Modified Centurion, plasma rifle +4 flamers +4MG, LRM + ammo swapped for heat sinks.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 21 February 2018, 02:46:14 »
I always found it strange they gave that bonus to SPL's but not to small lasers on their own..
BUT since you are before SPL's existed, flamers all the way.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #41 on: 21 February 2018, 02:50:52 »

I'm not real familiar with the expanded heat scale rules but does anyone know if they change how an inferno ammo explosion is handled?  Or at least change the max heat from 30 to something more reasonable for that scale?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 21 February 2018, 04:21:19 »
Does the SPL still get its -2 THM against infantry?
Yes they do, it's infantry pulse laser weapons that don't get that bonus.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 21 February 2018, 13:32:10 »
I always found it strange they gave that bonus to SPL's but not to small lasers on their own..
BUT since you are before SPL's existed, flamers all the way.

Yea especially when the tech manuals keep saying they added a small laser to deal with infantry.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 22 February 2018, 00:49:17 »
Only against rifle infantry. If they are mechanised or have crew served weapons... that sucks. and a 28 man platoon takes a long time to kill.

Flamers unless you are a heat monster.  But machine guns work better in groups (eg: .5t ammo to 4 machine guns)

How about if you had two tons would you go with flamer and one ton of choice or 3 machine guns with 1/2 ton of ammo?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 22 February 2018, 03:39:27 »
How about if you had two tons would you go with flamer and one ton of choice or 3 machine guns with 1/2 ton of ammo?

For ME, i'd go the 3 MG and 1/2 a ton of ammo..  BUT then i like having multiple MG's with half a ton.  5 being my favorite..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 22 February 2018, 04:28:16 »
With two tons, the 3 MG route is superior.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 22 February 2018, 08:09:27 »

One ton of choice can be a Medium Laser, so I'd obviously go with that - but if I were offered a flamer and a heat sink versus three MGs with half a ton of ammo, that would be a difficult choice.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 22 February 2018, 11:13:54 »
I like flamers; effective, versatile, safe.

Hardly ever play with infantry, though (or even vehicles), so it's not really in issue in my games.

Register