Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Woodsman  (Read 28923 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Mech of the Week: Woodsman
« Reply #60 on: 02 December 2017, 15:20:00 »
One thing that a Woodsman config could do in Dark Ages that gets interesting . . . the machine could have a SuperCharger to go with the MASC, a sort of copy of the later Executioner configs.  Either to keep the range open or rush in for short range murder where the SFE helps it a lot.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 02 December 2017, 17:09:26 »
I am torn between having a woodsman in my spirit blood guard or my horses Delta glaxy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #62 on: 02 December 2017, 19:27:00 »
I'd would think that if the Spirits would be still using it if they had them.  It meets their needs essentially.  Regular fusion engine.  They went with the standard models because their cost/effectiveness.  Which Omni related maintenance is suppose to be more resource needy than standards. Which i think it's trade off for pod space, reworking pods to be efficient i'd think they would have kept them around.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 02 December 2017, 19:34:05 »
As is my blood guard has a great deal of pre Omni designs like the imp or upgraded SL designs so some Omni designs are needed

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #64 on: 03 December 2017, 06:58:16 »

I can imagine that the Escorpión Imperio might put it back in production.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 03 December 2017, 14:01:03 »
Why not both?   Just picked up another one and might customize it as a missile boat since it only has 2 canon configs

I am torn between having a woodsman in my spirit blood guard or my horses Delta glaxy

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #66 on: 03 December 2017, 14:47:26 »
Why specifically a missile boat?Not to be rude, but I feel as though customizing a build into a missile boat is a small waste of potential. There's no big ballistic+lasers build.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #67 on: 03 December 2017, 14:52:25 »
Why specifically a missile boat?Not to be rude, but I feel as though customizing a build into a missile boat is a small waste of potential. There's no big ballistic+lasers build.

Agreed.

Actually, no, it does need a Missile Boat, but specifically the Arrow variant that inspired the Naga.

Then maybe something with Gauss,  LB10X, or Ultra-20 to inspire other T-Wolf & Gargoyle configurations.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #68 on: 03 December 2017, 15:06:12 »
Agreed.

Actually, no, it does need a Missile Boat, but specifically the Arrow variant that inspired the Naga.

Then maybe something with Gauss,  LB10X, or Ultra-20 to inspire other T-Wolf & Gargoyle configurations.

C'mon Gargoyle B inspired Woodsman.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 03 December 2017, 15:15:58 »
C'mon Gargoyle B inspired Woodsman.

LOL,  I was thinking more along the lines of Gargoyle-C or Timberwolf-B which are at least ok, v/s the Garg-B which is just, uhm, NO.

PS. 
I have a general rule that I follow to avoid problems like the Garg-B.
The only time Ballistic + Missiles + DHS is an acceptable platform for a mech is if it also includes Stealth Armor.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2017, 15:17:55 by Hellraiser »

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 03 December 2017, 15:57:59 »

Boils down to what I have in my bits box currently.  And i have alot of missile pods at the moment.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #71 on: 03 December 2017, 17:39:13 »

The Arrow variant could mount two Arrows, but only 3 tons of ammo. As far as canon Artillery Mechs go, that may be serviceable, but I'd hope any Arrow config that ever gets canonized only mounts one with backup LRMs or laser batteries.

Note; Come to think of it, I have the same thought process regarding a big Ballistic build. Funny.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 03 December 2017, 18:38:17 »
I could see 2 tons of ammo and 2 ER smalls, would mirror the Naga's build, since arty mechs wouldn't be frontline anyways, and it's a testbed.
The Arrow variant could mount two Arrows, but only 3 tons of ammo. As far as canon Artillery Mechs go, that may be serviceable, but I'd hope any Arrow config that ever gets canonized only mounts one with backup LRMs or laser batteries.

Note; Come to think of it, I have the same thought process regarding a big Ballistic build. Funny.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 03 December 2017, 19:42:40 »

I could see 2 tons of ammo and 2 ER smalls, would mirror the Naga's build, since arty mechs wouldn't be frontline anyways, and it's a testbed.

Well it was to test the Dual Arrow Configuration so I'm assuming it will have 2.

And really, 3 tons isn't much, but if your a few clicks behind the lines then you have time to Reload & don't need back up lasers.

Those were frowned upon on the Naga as it is since they didn't want the pilots thinking they should get into close quarters battle.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 22 October 2020, 19:53:09 »
I'd would think that if the Spirits would be still using it if they had them.  It meets their needs essentially.  Regular fusion engine.  They went with the standard models because their cost/effectiveness.  Which Omni related maintenance is suppose to be more resource needy than standards. Which i think it's trade off for pod space, reworking pods to be efficient i'd think they would have kept them around.

After reading TRO golden century I was very pleased to see that the Ravens got a lot of woodsman and they used them in their 2nd line forces. And since they later traded off a lot of 2nd line gear to the Blood SPirits for warships I am going to use that to justify having woodsman in my blood spirit forces 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #75 on: 03 November 2020, 03:14:44 »
It's interesting that both of the modern variants mount Watchdog systems.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #76 on: 03 November 2020, 07:40:05 »
It's interesting that both of the modern variants mount Watchdog systems.

Have to throw a shiny new toy on it somewhere.  ;)
I have spoken.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 03 November 2020, 15:18:30 »
So since this is clan, i feel safe with my home made inner sphere mech known as the woodsman.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 07 November 2020, 12:12:56 »
Thank you for your article! I love the Woodsman. The art is also wonderful (but I love even more the scuplt that Wackrabbit did). I don't have anything against the chasis. MASC turns it into a interesting unit.

I remember that this mech caused a lot of discussion some time ago. It is a good mech with speed and firepower. And it is CHEAP. VERY CHEAP to build. If CW/CWiE wanted a cheap omnimech this one is the first option.

And thanks to TRO golden century it’s much more avaible in canon now! Can any one point me to images of wackrabbits sculpt?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #79 on: 09 November 2020, 11:20:00 »
And thanks to TRO golden century it’s much more avaible in canon now! Can any one point me to images of wackrabbits sculpt?

It's probably on Camospecs somewhere. EDIT: Yup. Here's wackrabbit's sculpt of the Woodsman.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #80 on: 09 November 2020, 11:33:23 »
I hope a one-off configuration with a Ax so it can be said Woodsman was using Ax on the Wolves.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki