Author Topic: Heir to the Jedi... or a slight rant on the state of Star Wars novels  (Read 7275 times)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: Heir to the Jedi... or a slight rant on the state of Star Wars novels
« Reply #60 on: 14 September 2015, 19:54:46 »
Finished Aftermath ...overall, not bad...sets up several storylines (including that post-Endor game set in the Anoat system), but a bit too Hollywood of an ending...and we've gone from having few same sex relationships in the Star Wars universe to them being all over the place now...

All the callouts in the book were interesting though...

Ruger

I read it this weekend and I had the opposite reaction --- I found it...not okay.

Spoilers to follow:

*It’s all written in PRESENT TENSE — “She sees”, not “She saw”. I have never read a novel that was all in present tense. It annoyed me.

* A mess of side stories — instead of focusing on the main stories, they’re these glimpses of things happening elsewhere, things that have NO DIRECT BEARING on the story! I think several of them were set-ups for other novels, but they didn’t belong in this novel.

*Lack of major characters — With the exception of a cameo from Han and Chewie, a holo of Leia, the only know character in this novel is Wedge and he’s a non-factor. All the action is placed in the hands of new characters.

* It didn’t feel like Star Wars — It didn’t have the sweep of a Star Wars novel. There was no feeling like you got with the Heir to the Empire trilogy — you could see them as movies. This novel? Maybe a Sy-fy movie of the week…..

Really, the fact one of the characters is gay is a non-factor — I found a lot more to dislike then one character sexual preference……

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #61 on: 14 September 2015, 21:03:06 »
Frankly, the Star Wars universe needs new characters. For a universe that's supposed to encompass millions of worlds home to trillions of sapient lifeforms, it has a huge problem with focusing on the same small group of people and places.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #62 on: 14 September 2015, 23:51:11 »
the EU actually did branch out quite a bit before the Ep7 continuity split. the Skywalker/solo character storylines just tended to be the more popular ones.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #63 on: 15 September 2015, 03:50:19 »
Has anyone read Dark Disciple? I have stopped reading (or rather, listening) to Aftermath and simply regret the purchase now. But I hear really good things about Dark Disciple. It's Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress in some kinda undercover sting operation.

It's good. Especially if you like the storytelling style of the Clone Wars episodes. (According to the introduction, it's based on several canceled episodes from the final season.)
Eh.

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 15 September 2015, 06:21:12 »
next on my list was either Aftermath or Highlander's Gambit... glad I decided to get back to BattleTech. I'm not even sure I'll dive into Aftermath. I'll probably go with either Dark Disciple or Dark Lords of the Sith.

Maybe one major flaw was that Star Wars really always was about the Skywalkers, father and son. Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston tried to start up new characters but I believe pressure from the fans (wanting to have more of the original trio) and a bad habit of TPTB to try and stuff us with anything Skywalker/Solo didn't give a chance to other characters.

Clone Wars and Rebels was/is doing a good job at branching.
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
« Reply #65 on: 16 September 2015, 01:20:47 »
    Then I strongly suggest you read Tarkin and Lords of the Sith. (And if you liked the Clone Wars series, hit Dark Disciple.)

Star Wars has always had a weird conundrum, where the villains were so much more interesting than the heroes. I suspect because the villains always involved using shades of gray in fleshing out their characters, particularly when they are the protagonist in a novel. That trend seems to be continuing.
    With respect, Lord of the Sith was an AWFUL novel.  I picked it up from the library figuring I'd give the new EU timeline a try.  I won't pick up another.

All the new book does is give you a bunch of characters that you don't care about (on the rebel side), has a Palpatine who seemingly knows EVERYTHING, and and is willing to waste the crew of a Star Destroyer to "test" Vader, and retcon whiny Anakin into whiny Vader - "GRRRRR!  THe Jedi, Padme, and Obi-wan betrayed me!  I'm mad!"

Sure, Vader did some cool stuff, and the throw-ins about how he's a legend with the storm trooper core were cool, but as a book to sell me on the new EU?  Nope.  Not even close.[/list]
    « Last Edit: 16 September 2015, 05:47:13 by Maniac Actual »
    AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Looking for new Adder skin boots
    « Reply #66 on: 16 September 2015, 02:52:33 »
    I have not red any of the Star Wars novels yet. I am liking Rebels, and I have been buying the new comics
    as they come out. I have found the comics to be great. They depict Vader as having been disgraced after
    the first Death Star's destruction, and have him tracking down the "Rebel Pilot" who destroyed it. They
    deal with Luke trying to learn about the Jedi. The side story comics(Leia and Lando) are interesting, and
    Shattered Empire is off to an interesting start.
    "Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
    • Captain
    • And....out.
      • One world at a time...
    « Reply #67 on: 16 September 2015, 07:13:21 »
      With respect, Lord of the Sith was an AWFUL novel.  I picked it up from the library figuring I'd give the new EU timeline a try.  I won't pick up another.

All the new book does is give you a bunch of characters that you don't care about (on the rebel side), has a Palpatine who seemingly knows EVERYTHING, and
    and is willing to waste the crew of a Star Destroyer to "test" Vader, and retcon whiny Anakin into whiny Vader - "GRRRRR!  THe Jedi, Padme, and Obi-wan betrayed me!  I'm mad!"

Sure, Vader did some cool stuff, and the throw-ins about how he's a legend with the storm trooper core were cool, but as a book to sell me on the new EU?  Nope.  Not even close.[/list]

Well, as always, it comes down to personal preference.

I liked LotS because it does set up Hera's motivations later (in Rebels) because of how that incident on Ryloth affected her father.

Palpy DOES know everything - it's been stated in canon and in the EU that he very much uses the Dark Side to 'see' the future, and manipulates accordingly. He's built as a character who is masterful at doing that, because how else does one man hold total control and sway over thousands of worlds, and billions of billions of billions of beings?

And the book does a better take on 'fixing' Vader to be the more badass villain we all knew he was, but Lucas was afraid to show.

I felt it was a really good look at Vader and Palpatine's dynamic, and showed very well how they worked together using fear, paranoia, and manipulation. That's a relationship that isn't easy to define, and the book did a good job with it.

But again - everyone has their particular taste. At least you tried, and you know what you like! Life's too short to read stuff you hate.
    Eh.

Marwynn

• Major
    « Reply #68 on: 16 September 2015, 15:38:13 »
    It's good. Especially if you like the storytelling style of the Clone Wars episodes. (According to the introduction, it's based on several canceled episodes from the final season.)

It definitely feels like that. I'm re-watching the Clone Wars and this seems to pick up right where Ventress' arc ended.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
    • Catalyst Demo Team
    • Colonel
    « Reply #69 on: 16 September 2015, 15:42:32 »
    I've heard that Aftermath is much better, to the point of being good, as an audiobook.  The present tense format lends itself very well to screenplay style writing, and the audiobook reads much more naturally than it does in text.
    Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
      • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
    « Reply #70 on: 17 September 2015, 17:51:27 »
    for those interested, we're trying to start up a freeform star wars RP in the mechwarrior hall. right now we're discussing starting locations and such.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48830.0

Register