Author Topic: Premium Model Miniatures  (Read 3345 times)

abou

• Captain
Premium Model Miniatures
« on: 27 July 2011, 10:15:14 »
Has there been any thought to creating a premium line of model miniatures?  Essentially, the idea would be to make them the same scale as the standard BattleTech line; however, they would have many more parts to increase the ability to pose them.  Because of the skill needed to put them together, they would be for experienced modellers only and would have a low print run, but could cost anywhere from two to three times the cost of their standard counterpart -- maybe even more.

I know some of the reseens have a high part count, but I'm thinking even beyond that where every joint would literally mean a new piece, torso and hips separate, and a head that can be positioned to look in a different direction.  These would essentially be model kits, but instead of plastic would be metal.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: Premium Model Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2011, 11:34:19 »
For that application, plastics like the Loki and Thor would be the better route. The clean up of mold lines on metal minis like that would be brutal. Add in the number of pins they'd need to be stable, and it would be a very hard sale to make with metal. I love the concept. Dynamically posed minis add tons of cool factor to the finished piece. Knowing how well a mini like that needs to be engineered though, I can't see it happening in metal.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2011, 11:46:53 »
For that application, plastics like the Loki and Thor would be the better route. The clean up of mold lines on metal minis like that would be brutal. Add in the number of pins they'd need to be stable, and it would be a very hard sale to make with metal. I love the concept. Dynamically posed minis add tons of cool factor to the finished piece. Knowing how well a mini like that needs to be engineered though, I can't see it happening in metal.

And nailed it on the head
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2011, 12:06:01 »
That's what I was worried about.  If it's plastic, that kind of knocks IWM out of the picture.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2011, 16:44:25 »
...Or, just get a good saw and go to town.

I'd rather play "hack and slash" than pay 3-4 times more for a mini.

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2011, 18:01:15 »
Yeh it really depends on teh mini.  Most of teh clan mechs are multipart anything more would seem unecesarry and raise cost.  They are going to be expanding the plastic miniatures line along with teh Loki and Thor at some point.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2011, 18:06:18 »
Yeh it really depends on teh mini.  Most of teh clan mechs are multipart anything more would seem unecesarry and raise cost.  They are going to be expanding the plastic miniatures line along with teh Loki and Thor at some point.

Being that IWM didn't do those two minis, I doubt they would be expanding that line...
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2011, 18:42:34 »
Being that IWM didn't do those two minis, I doubt they would be expanding that line...

lol I didnt mean IWM would be expanding it.  Catalyst will be.