Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ Battletech in 2016  (Read 38386 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Phoenix, AZ Battletech in 2016
« Reply #150 on: 24 September 2016, 17:38:56 »
Is it sad that I want access to a clan omni... not for the clan part, but for the variety of omnis?

Seriously, I'm searching for an IS Omni for the last couple days & nothing is fitting what I'm looking for.

Did the IS make any Omni's after the Celestials?  Something from the Jihad era or later?

Because the 1st wave of IS stuff just isn't covering what I'm looking for ATM.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #151 on: 24 September 2016, 20:08:09 »
There are several in 3145.  There is a Centurion omni and the Gauntlet which I really like except it needs more space but nothings perfect.  I think there are a few others in there but they mixed Clan and IS units so I'm not sure if the others are IS omnis.  I'd have to check.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 24 September 2016, 22:57:25 »
The Centurion and potentially the Gun are decent, but the IS still doesn't have a full roster of decent mechs aside from the Celestials.
I keep wishing there'd be a release where the ROtS made a new version of the Celestials much like they did with the Bolla, but chances are very slim.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 24 September 2016, 23:57:59 »
Thanks, I knew about the Centurion-O but it seemed too small.
I looked up that Gauntlet & it is the closest thing that I have found to what I'm looking for.
Basically I'm looking for something kind of Warwulf-ish for the IS, but not finding anything like that.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #154 on: 25 September 2016, 18:25:09 »
I see what you mean:
- Men Shen, but due to its speed it probably doesn't have enough pod space.
- Perseus is probably closest, except it's not 5/8
- Templar III ditto
- Vandal I thought was perfect, but then I realized that despite being marked Standard tech, the Prime still carries an Angel ECM

That said, if I were playing instead of running I'd definitely take a Men Shen.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #155 on: 25 September 2016, 20:18:03 »
- Vandal I thought was perfect, but then I realized that despite being marked Standard tech, the Prime still carries an Angel ECM

I found this but its more than just the ECM.
CASE-II, VSP-Lasers, SuperCharger, Boosted C3......... All that stuff was not allowed, or so I thought.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: 25 September 2016, 21:43:46 »
Correct - I just stopped reading when I saw the Angel.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #157 on: 25 September 2016, 22:34:18 »
The post-Jihad tech level changes for various equipment has really muddied the waters.  The MUL has the Vandal Prime listed as standard but the Large VSP is still advanced as far as I know.  Everything else would be considered standard tech in its native era.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #158 on: 25 September 2016, 22:44:52 »
I really do like both the Centurion-O and the Gauntlet.  I do wish with the Gauntlet that they had foregone the LFF armor and made up the difference with a half ton of pod space.  It would have allowed a lot more flexibility IMO.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #159 on: 26 September 2016, 12:27:28 »
Its a shame about the tech level on the Vandal because that thing is as close to what I am looking for of anything out there.

I could skip almost all the advanced tech on it with a custom pod load.

I think the Supercharger is the only thing that is "fixed" on it.

Though it apparently has a Torso-Cockpit which I don't really like.

Still, the size, speed, & pod space is nice.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #160 on: 27 September 2016, 09:19:39 »
Evidently there is a THIRD tech change list in IntOps.  I find that highly annoying.   >:(

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 27 September 2016, 23:28:28 »
I don't, Well, I do, but if that 3rd change essentially is to get rid of experimental/advanced so that come 3150 everything is legal, then I don't.

Either keep things simple (3067) or let it all in, but I'm not of 3090 where some stuff has moved up but only some & some moved 1 rank but others 2, etc etc.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #162 on: 28 September 2016, 00:44:43 »
My problem isn't with what they move.  They can move whatever they want to whatever level for all I care.  What I do care about is that I already bought 2 TRO's already primarily to get the list of tech changes now I find out there is a freaking third book I have to buy if I want the complete list.  That torques me off more than a little bit. 

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 29 September 2016, 20:01:27 »
I'm still waiting for the next super-tech jump where all existing tech is obsolete & everything has been combined into super items.

I want my Demolisher with Twin Rotary-Ultra-Light-Caseless-HighVelocity-Clan-LubalinExperimental-Class 20 AC's
That will conveniently be the same weight as the original AC20 & yet do all those extra fun things.  >:D

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #164 on: 30 September 2016, 02:02:52 »
Joel,

I just sent my force selection and starting TOE to you via the email option from the forums since I seem to have misplaced your email address and didn't find it in the campaign rules document.  Hope it gets to you in time for the cut-off.
"If brute force isn't working, you obviously aren't using enough of it."

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #165 on: 30 September 2016, 02:07:25 »
EDIT: Apparently, I fail at reading comprehension.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2016, 02:10:35 by Wrayth »

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #166 on: 02 October 2016, 00:30:46 »
That was a very fun game.  With almost the entire combat consisting of point-blank fire and physical attacks (at least for the table I was at), it felt very 3025-ish.

Also, that Legionnaire's survival was epic.  It reminded me of the intro to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9hxU864Fg
(Those who haven't seen it, make sure to watch until the end.)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 02 October 2016, 13:06:53 »
Agreed it was a fun game.  The 2nd table wasn't quite as point blank but the shots that mattered all came inside 6 hexes.

A quick after action of the West-Table.

GM Forces (South)  (A very "DMM" feel as all 8 mechs were FS/DC based)
Victor-11D
GrassHopper-6K
Bombardier-14K
Grand Dragon-5K
Dervish-9D
Enforcer-III-6Ma
Centurion-D4D
Hollander-F3
Regulator-Standard
Beagle-Standard

Player Forces   (North)    (Set up inside 1st 12 Hexes)
Archangel-Eminus  (Arriving Turn 5)
Goliath-4S  (Arriving Turn-3)
Barghest-3T
Gurkha-8G
Griffin-5L
Wolfhound-5
Sprint-C3i
Purifier-Laser  (Arriving Turn-5)

The Players all set up right at the 12 Hex range band, slightly east, in some woods & moved forward quickly on turn 1.  Fire was exchanged but most of it missed. 
I think I managed to land something like 11 points of scattered LRM damage on the Barghest on turn 1.

Turn 2 got a bit more interesting as the players started to split their forces & headed towards the middle of the map.  The GM Forces didn't boast tons of long range firepower & my roles were pretty crappy.

By turn 3 things started to get interesting as fire was beginning to really get thrown around & some of it landed.
However the Barghest hiding behind a hill managed to avoid a lot of it thanks to the hill.
The 2 lights continued to be hard to shoot at at +3/+4 every turn.
**Note, it took about 4-5 turns before we realized the Gurkha pilot was running around at 9/14 not using TSM correctly & should only have been 8/12.  That might have changed a few moves & could have kept the Regulator alive as it took a TSM kick into the side & was immobilized that might not have happened w/o the extra 2MP every turn.
Goliath comes on from the back of the board.

Regulator spend Turn-4 being stunned & immobile.
Also in Turn-4 the Hollander was de-legged by a kick from the Gurkha.  (Also might not have happened?)
The Barghest takes the brunt of damage as several mechs unleash on it.  But its still standing
The Victor, GrassHopper, GrandDragon, & Dervish make an abrupt turn Right & suddenly the Goliath looks about to be run over.  Victor takes HGR to the RtLeg (the first of many)

Turn-5
The assault on the Goliath takes a bad turn.
The Victor is stopped cold as it ends up between the 2 quads at 6 hexes each & both land HGR shots that hit the same RL from last turn.  Combined with other fire this shears off the leg, rips open the torso, & hits the RAC ammo.  Suddenly my pristine assault mech is on the ground crippled w/ an unconscious pilot after Head Hit, Feedback, & Fall leaves him failing the Nappytime check of 10.  He never wakes up before end of game.
Gurkha hammers into the Grasshopper from behind & does TSM kick.
The Barghest is finally a smoking ruin from repeated MML/SRM strikes from the Bombardier while the Enforcer is trying to make the Wolfhound pay for picking on the downed Hollander in the backfield.
Beagle zooms off the board this turn going right past the Archangel with a 'wave'.
Centurion tosses some long ranged fire at the Archangel & connects with the LRM for the first time all game.
 (It spent the entire game firing 2 of 3 weapons each turn thanks to the 10 SHS & never hitting w/ more than 1)
Goliath has a stripped RA-RFL from massive stacked damage but is still going.
Regulator Crew bails out w/o firing.

Turn-6
The Grasshopper gets to the flank of the Goliath & removes that RFL, but again has the Gurkha in its back arc w/ TSM kick & actually manages to knock it over.
Both GrandDragon & Dervish head out wide on opposite flanks to avoid having to go through the Archangel that is camped in the middle of the goal line.  They each trade some long ranged sniping fire wile lining up to leave the board.

Turn-7
Dervish & GrandDragon both head off the board.
Grasshopper gets Delegged by HGR from Goliath.
Gurkha survives being sandwiched by the Bombardier & Enforcer.

Game Ends

GM Forces Status
Escaped = Beagle, Centurion, Dervish, GrandDragon
Fully Functional = Bombardier, Enforcer
De-Legged = Victor (Sleeping), Grasshopper, Hollander
Abandoned = Regulator

Player Forces Status
Barghest = Mission Destroyed  (3 Engine Hits)
Goliath = Missing Leg
Wolfhound = Hip Crit (4/6MP)
Gurkha = Heavy Armor Damage?
Archangel, Griffin, Purifiers = Minor Armor Damage?
Sprint = Un-hit 

Salvage:  (Less "quality" salvage on this table but it was in better condition for more SP earned)
Regulator-Abandoned-Crippled
Victor-Asleep-Crippled
342 SP in Salvage Earned for each Player  (V/S 242 Each for a Mission-Destroyed Flashman & Thunder)

JR is declined to salvage either unit.
JD has declined the Regulator but is bidding on the Victor.
JB was not around to bid so we'll have to ask him if we wants to bid on either by email.

If JB bids on Victor we will need to have a dice off.
If JB declines the Regulator then it will be up for bid by the "Eastern" table players that were facing Joel

Thoughts on mission balance:
When first planning on this game as a Player I felt it was going to be nigh unwinnable.
The delay for 3/5 units meant fast movers were gone before they arrived.
I expected to see 30-40% 5-6 walking mp & 60-70% be 7+ which would have been hard to stop.

Then I saw the units chosen for GM's & now I'm not sure that the players could have NOT gotten at least the 1st goal.
Having your 3rd fastest unit be 6/9 on a breakthrough mission was iffy.
Having there be no clear paths across the board w/o terrain in the way, also iffy
Having a pair of 4 MP mechs was Really iffy.  (That 1 of them was armed w/ mostly Range-6 guns = Bad)
Honestly, Each of the above is a small issue, combined they became a larger one.

To balance this one out wouldn't take much work.
1.  Loose the 4MP mechs or at least make them things that put out some firepower at range.
  (Maybe Marauder-5D & Penetrator would have been a better combo to handle the mission)
  (Having Falconer + Thanatos would have been even better as 5/8 mechs)
2.  Not had hills blocking movement on both sides all the way to the side of the map but left at least 1-hex path to allow people to make breaks for the edges w/o being Very slow or being channeled into the gauntlet of fire in the middle. 
3.  Include 1 fast mover of 7+ MP in each player force.

Its not much but I think it would have made for a solid give/take from what I feared I'd see v/s what ended up seeing. 

It also occurs to me that movement might be sped up a bit if there weren't so many different large vision blocking options to choose from, I saw a lot of move delay searching for the best position or way to deal w/ terrain.

Having now sat on the GM side here is what I learned for the campaign:
I fully agree w/ previous GM comments about the use of edge.
The amount of edge is excessive.
Using Edge to avoid a lucky round 2 gauss headcap is one thing, and I'm in favor of it.
But there was so much edge on my table that players were able to burn it to just avoid getting kicked when they lost initiative & got someone next to them or because shots are coming in from the rear (/gasp).
I also don't think you should get to edge the same roll twice if it gets made the 2nd time, seriously, that was just BS IMO & the game would have been Very different had they been limited to 1 point each.
If we are going to continue with free edge for players, I think the GM should be able to have say 1 point per player force to use as well.
That or go back to the old mini's rule where you had to own the mini. (Point was to trigger sales after all)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #168 on: 02 October 2016, 20:25:08 »
Results sent to players via email.

I agree with Dennis' thoughts on Edge. Here are my planned rules changes, unless anyone has a compelling argument against:

1. Combined forces. Since we didn't get a good test on the combined forces rules I'm letting it stand for next game; however, I suspect I'll get rid of it due to the havoc an absence can cause, as well as the fact that we already have people who really want to play together, further complicating the dividing into teams.
2. Edge. I'm getting really tired of offensive edge usage due to it being the last round. Additionally, defensive use means that the GM isn't going to waste fire on hard-to-hit targets, since success means just burning their edge; this unfairly shifts fire towards lower-defense units. I think now that repairs are just time, I'm going to change it to one edge per force, plus the usual one for a painted, correct miniature. (Note that the miniature's edge is only for that model.) Additionally, there will be no offensive use of edge after 5pm. If you disagree, email me, but be prepared to make a good case.
3. Reduction in pilot improvement costs. I may change the formula to use a cubic instead of squared increase. That will allow 3/4 pilots to be cheaper while still keeping the (IMNSHO game-breaking) uber-skills expensive.

As for the force composition, I was trying not to be that jerk who just sprints everything off the board in three turns. However I didn't do a good job of splitting fast/slow (some forces were flat-out slower than others), and I really did need more faster units. Not that that would have changed much on my table. (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, INITIATIVE DICE!)

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #169 on: 02 October 2016, 22:52:05 »
Question on claiming salvage and repairs.  If a mech has to be out for multiple games anyway can they be refitted at the same time?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #170 on: 03 October 2016, 09:17:15 »
So long as the refit is in the allowed level, yes. If your force is moving, limiting you to A & B refits only, that's all you can do while rebuilding.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #171 on: 03 October 2016, 09:44:41 »
I figured if it is going out for multiple games for repairs it is going to be at least sitting in a maintenance bay somewhere and eligible for a higher level refit.  Though the repair rules are annoyingly a lot less specific on facilities than customization is.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #172 on: 03 October 2016, 09:48:44 »
Quit trying to bring realism into my giant robot game.  :D

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #173 on: 03 October 2016, 19:18:40 »
If your out a game or 2 you might as well wait to see what those games bring.

The only way it can back fire is if you skip a CD month hoping for EF the next & then it goes back to AB.

For example.

October-AB
November-ABCD
December-AB
You don't get to wait till December & then say you want to do a CD because you were "hoping" for EF to show up & it didn't.

I forget Joe's specific wording in an email to me, but I think he said CD would be available every 2 or 3 games & then EF would be every 6 games or so.

Given the cost of EF being as much as buying a brand new Mech/Vechicle, I'm not planning on doing many of them since its just going to be a boatload of SP when you do.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #174 on: 16 October 2016, 17:24:07 »
Campaign Scenario for November 5:

Airfield Raid

BV limit: 2500
Unit max: 2 + Carried Infantry
Victory Condition 1 (200 SP per player): Destroy Control Tower.
Victory Condition 2 (200 SP per player): Destroy Repair Hangar.
Secondary Objective: Destroy a hangar (25 SP per player per hangar).
Salvage: 0 (The presence of nearby enemy reinforcements prevents holding the field.)

Intel:
The enemy has maintained partial air superiority for too long. Command has risked several dropships in a feint to draw enemy fighters away from their base; you are to hit it hard and destroy everything you can.  Expect to face infantry and emplaced guns, as well as a quick reaction force of ‘mechs and tanks.

Salvage: While we expect enemy reinforcements to prevent salvaging fallen enemies, any disabled unit (friendly or enemy) that can be dragged clear of the fighting should be recoverable. (See p99, TacOps.)

Building destruction: In addition to direct fire, unopposed infantry inside a structure can place demolition charges (assumed to be carried for this mission). This takes at least one full round inside the building; once emplaced, the charges can be triggered at any time. Demolition charges deal 1 point per 2 troopers per round spent setting the charges. Damage from charges set by battlearmor is 2 points per trooper per round due to the heavier charges they can carry.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 20 October 2016, 19:38:36 »
Secondary Objective: Destroy a hangar (25 SP per player per hangar).
The way this is worded is making me wonder.
Is that for everyone on the team?  Or just the player that did the killing?
IF, it is for a single player, then, how do you determine if something is group fired on?
Finally, are they "Light" structures so for 15 damage we shouldn't be "group" firing on them anyway?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #176 on: 20 October 2016, 19:39:27 »
25 SP to all players for each hangar destroyed.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #177 on: 20 October 2016, 19:45:41 »
Salvage: While we expect enemy reinforcements to prevent salvaging fallen enemies, any disabled unit (friendly or enemy) that can be dragged clear of the fighting should be recoverable. (See p99, TacOps.)

I mentioned this in an email.
But is this supposed to be we actually drag the mech off the field?
Or are you just saying units that "could" fit the qualifiers to be dragged, can be saved, if we have draggers.

So, Bringing mechs w/ Hands is good, but, do we have to stop combat early & get them off the field?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #178 on: 20 October 2016, 21:02:10 »
So long as you have the capability of dragging them, you're good. If you run out of hands, you have to leave them.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #179 on: 05 November 2016, 23:24:21 »
Eastern Table Rundown

Player Forces  (5 Mechs, 1 Tank, 3 BA Squads)
Ontos (Fusion)-Command  (4/5)
BattleMaster-M3  (4/5)
Hammerhands-6D  (3/4)
Shadow Hawk-9D  (3/4)
Wolverine-9W2  (3/4)
Firestarter-O-P  (4/5)
Taranis BA  (4/5)
Marauder BA  (4/5)
Marauder BA  (4/5)

GM Forces  (7 Mechs, 3 Gun Emplacements, 3 Infantry Platoons)
Thug-12K
Zeus-9T
Jagermech-7F
Blitzkrieg-3F  (3/5)
PhoenixHawk-4W
Wolfhound-4WA
Javelin-11F
3* Jihad Turrets
3* Infantry Platoons

Game lasted 6 turns & should have been easy but turned out to be quite difficult given the range of the player units and the shear # of ECM suites in the GM force,  officially topping out at SEVEN, a new record I think for any game in 30 years of playing.

The only GM unit on the board that was destroyed was the Jagermech via massed fire leading to ammo explosion.  Side torso destruction, a record setting 8 pilot hits means it was down for the count but was able to be dragged off by 2 of our 3-4 mechs with hand actuators.  Also dead was some infantry inside the destroyed Control Tower &/or Repair Bay Hanger.

The Battlemaster was massively hurting & the Hammerhands had taken quite a bit too,  Firestarter had lost the right arm with most the firepower.

None of the support hangers were destroyed as we only managed to take out the repair bay hanger in the final seconds of the game.

Earned SP = 517 Each

Register