Author Topic: Largest MekHQ Force / TO&E Size  (Read 4317 times)

Kristan Dagley

• Private
Largest MekHQ Force / TO&E Size
« on: 20 November 2017, 09:59:57 »
Just wondering with all you arm chair generals out there what is the largest size force you have built up in a TO&E for MekHQ? 500 units? 1,000 units? 2,500? A brigade? a division? surely no one has flushed out a full corps, and if you have does the program suffer at all with large amounts of data (units, parts, personnel) to track?

scJazz

• Captain
Re: Largest MekHQ Force / TO&E Size
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2017, 12:43:09 »
Someone tried making a Division once.

The Campaign file was like 125mb and MHQ was using more than 4GB RAM.

Don't try it.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2017, 12:52:03 »
There is Clan Wolf full Touman circa 3050.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2017, 13:02:50 »
Clan Wolf in 3050 had around 5 Galaxies quaiff?  Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Epsilon? That's quite the project! I wouldn't mind taking a look at that file if it was available.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2017, 13:25:41 »
Think this is it. Will need to PM the author as the link no longer works.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=28367.msg649273#msg649273
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2017, 13:51:43 »
HQ properly exploded from all that heavy metal on it.  :))

As much i'm not a fan of it, i think the MegaForce (Abstract Combat System) version properly would do better for HQ option.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2017, 14:24:08 »
about 3 years back tried this  with both mekhq and megamech
144 stingers against atalas....
did not crash but it took long time to resolve about 3  or 4 hours i think...
had o guts to try it again...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2017, 17:52:51 »
 My current unit is 171 Mechs, 24 Aero, roughly 100 vehicles, 4 infantry battalions, Marine Battalion. 12-14 dropships, 3-4 jumpships. About 4000 personnel all total.

I have run full on Regiment versus Regiment before, but it takes over a week for me to run that size battle. Especially if you give Princess fast or jumpy mechs, she takes her sweet time with those.

I am starting another one with the newest version but am doing dice rolls to see if any troops from disbanded SLDF units join up, what size, composition etc. All units had to disband in 2784 to be eligible. Like 23 units disbanded in 2784. Only did 2 units so far but rolled up a full Battalion from the 259 Battle Regiment, Mech company, armor company, Infantry Battalion from the 251 Battlemech Div. Got a long ways to go yet. Work in progress, but I get troops from every unit, she will be a big unit.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2017, 15:44:15 »
neoancient worked up a nifty program that would create forces of various sizes. I think there was a Davion RCT and a SLDF Division amost the campaign files as well as some clan stuff.

There have been a lot of tweak to parts of HQ that have really increased its speed. Most of the slowdown was in the personnel log and the daily log. Not sure if the personnel log still crawls if it has too much data or not though.

Cambo

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2017, 12:28:21 »
Think this is it. Will need to PM the author as the link no longer works.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=28367.msg649273#msg649273

hmm... weird... i haven't changed any dropbox settings... zipped it's only 1.6megs.
I made this in 2013, MekHQ has changed how they do battle armour and such since then... so this file no longer works, but if someone wants to try messing with it you're welcome to, and if they get it working again they should share it.  Here's the direct link instead of the bitly one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e0zl5i7bpppgto/Clan%20Wolf%20TOE30520602.cpnx.zip?dl=0

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2017, 12:50:55 »
I often build RCTs as opfors...
Agent # 703

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2018, 19:52:23 »
Well in one form or another I have been using MegaMek since the first years of its stable release. (It's very hard to find local players in rural areas so online is my only option.)

I have been, and still am, very impressed and pleased with all the hard work done by the developers and community surrounding the whole suite of assets they have given us. Yet perhaps I have a rather unique situation that does not come from anything the developers have done but simply my own use of the program.

I was super excited when MekHQ came on the scene and quickly began gathering all my eggs in one basket pulling together and solidifying all the various little TO&E's I had made over many years (.mul files saved at the company level) into one big grand army.

After years of establishing different companys, battalions, regiments, etc I finally could have them all in one file to much more easily transfer resources, individual units, and personnel around not to mention better record personnel records, kills/losses, battle reports and easily mark the passage of time.

Needless to say fleshing out random names and organizing details on every single soldier and unit has been a labor of love that has taken years to complete in bits of spare time and still remains a task to catch up on from my 1000's of .mul company level files of old. I am roughly about 3/4's through.

With MekHQ, perhaps unlike most people, I am not running a real RPG campaign of sorts but just recording my battles with other human players, deploying forces, salvaging off my victories and replacing losses any time I am defeated. My daily or weekly matches with others is my campaign with the clock set 10000 years in the future so that Saturday April 7th, 2018 is basically Saturday April 7th, 12018 and I can record the passage of time accurately.

Needless to say given the title of my thread I have hit a wall with just how many units one can fit in a single campaign file. I can only set the given RAM resources so high after all and trust me this computer is pretty top notch quality. It only seems to struggle with loading the file when opening the program (and lately it just can't before running out of resources otherwise running the program is fine and not really that slow at all.)

I am sure my save would be in the top 1% for largest size taking over an hour to load some days if and when my computer restarts. The .cpnx file alone is just under 1 GB at 994MB.

My "active" force consists of currently 17,655 units out of a planned 22,965 (not including captured units) in 122 different regimental commands (or equivalents). Cambo's Clan Wolf TO&E clocks in around 1,440 "active" units.

No one else has come forth anywhere else with a TO&E anywhere near as large but have reported similar RAM issues and gave me suggestions that let me continue adding, editing and fighting for awhile longer.

Sadly I have come to the conclusion I can no longer move forward with just one all encompassing file and will once again have to split up my military into smaller less hardware demanding chunks. Given the freedom I had with having one ease of editing campaign file till now it is a bitter pill to swallow for convenience sake but there is nothing that can be done about it.

Usually I simply organize things at the regimental level and haven't focused to much on dedicated divisional levels or higher as I very rarely have to call upon that many units for one battle. Therefore I am wondering what might be the best option? Having separate regimental, divisional or corps sized files? I remember back before MekHQ having more than one file dangerous as I have often saved over the wrong one in the past wiping out entire companies of units with a miss-click of the mouse. (I learned quickly to implement backups but even then the odd accident occurred.)

I also have fully fleshed out support assets as well, recon, engineers, artillery regiments, transport and logistics regiments, field ambulance units, even military police and POW transport detachments, should those be attached with various commands or in their own "support" file. I dread having to "transfer" bulk units back and forth from file to file for R&R times or finding and transferring long lists of supplies carried by various logistics commands to units who just saw action. About the only thing I don't track is the kitchen sink (ie: human needs like food, water, field kitchens, replacement personnel transport, and mortuary affairs logistics.)

Suffice to say RAM's a royal pain and I may be an idiot but at least I was having fun.  ;)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2018, 19:45:29 »
I often build RCTs as opfors...
Wat....you trying explode MegaHQ?

Then again, i've not heard trying build and run entire SLDF Division...or Brigade
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2018, 21:09:54 »
Wat....you trying explode MegaHQ?

Then again, i've not heard trying build and run entire SLDF Division...or Brigade

RCTs are easy.. oddly, the worst part is not actually repair, but setting up all the medical after a big battle.  Takes forever!
Agent # 703

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2018, 22:23:01 »
ok biggest force i had made was 144 stingers against 4 atlas lance...took about 4 rounds and 25 minutes....
i swore i would never do it again...
i did that on a bet forgot why  but the bet was that lance of atlas with elite pilots would survive the head on battle with 144 light mechs...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!