Author Topic: Operation Icestorm- What mistakes did the Hellions make?  (Read 8609 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Operation Icestorm- What mistakes did the Hellions make?
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2016, 11:37:25 »
ICE STORM was a waste.  Good story, but a wasteful action.

Which happens in military history . . . Crassus legion, Custer's actions around the Little Bighorn, you could even link the Hellion's actions with Op Barbarossa or the preface to Xenophon's 10,000.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2016, 18:49:46 »
Which happens in military history . . . Crassus legion, Custer's actions around the Little Bighorn, you could even link the Hellion's actions with Op Barbarossa or the preface to Xenophon's 10,000.

Right.  All of those are interesting points of history, very interesting.  But ultimately shortsighted, poorly planned (despite efforts to plan it in the years leading up to it), and just... a waste.

However, it really was true to the Hellion's "clan character".  There was no more fitting way for them to die.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #32 on: 19 September 2016, 15:57:45 »
1. They would have served better by parking up somewhere where they could absorb basic supplies, my guess would be the Chanilaine isles and then send scouting parties ahead.

2.  When returning with intel they could allocate their own invasion corridor facing someone without much of a jumpfleet, and militarily distracted.  This rules out the Free Worlds League at the time, but it doesnt rule out the Lyrans.

3.  Once they have planned everything out, then play to their strengths, attack with overwhelming speed engaging a narrow corridor and cutting deep.
They will need a capital world to take. My guess is Alarion or Coventry, preferably Coventry.

4.  The FWL would get involved and shore up the Lyran Alliance, but Hellions move faster than Falcons do,  they would reach Coventry before a sufficient defense is mounted, especially if the coordinate their main naval assets.

5.  Once the network with the invading clans and try to make old conflicts bygones.  They will need the help, and the other clans will need the distraction. There is reason for then to have limited common ground with everyone except Wolf In Exile.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.