Author Topic: The Field of Mars, aka The Lot - Mk II  (Read 5431 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The Field of Mars, aka The Lot - Mk II
« on: 24 July 2017, 19:53:16 »
So about four years ago, I was constructing some shelving for my minis, and moved the whole collection to the billiard table. I took some pics at the time, but the images went when SolVII went.

So I'm reorganising, and dusting/vacuuming the shelves, so I figured it's time to do it again. For the last time on this table, which belongs to an adult son who wants it at his house ...

So, here it is - all my BT and BT-ish minis!

In closer-up:

Left to right, front:
* Magistracy Cavaliers battalion, Magistracy of Canopus, 4th SW
* Roman's Bar Hounds battalion, from the Fighting Uruk Hai, Mercs, 4th SW
* 12th Galedon Rangers recon battalion, Draconis Combine, 4th SW
* Devon's Armoured Infantry battalion, Capellan Confederation, 4th SW

Left to right, second row:
* Schwarz' Foresters reinforced company, Mercs, Clan Invasion
* 4th Arkab Legion battalion, Draconis Combine, Clan Invasion
* Ryuken-Ni battalion, Draconis Combine, Clan Invasion
* Epsilon Regiment assault battalion, Wolf's Dragoons, Mercs, Clan Invasion

Left to right, front row:
* 14th Lyran Guards battalion, Lyran Commonwealth, 4th SW
* Capellan Dragoons battalion, Federated Suns, 4th SW
* 3rd Hussars battalion, Free Raslehague Republic, Clan Invasion

Left to right, second row:

* Alpha Galaxy mixed trinary, Clan Smoke Jaguar, ahead of Psi Galaxy mixed trinary, Clan Smoke Jaguar, Clan Invasion
* 15th Deneb Light Cavalry battalion, Federated Suns, Clan Invasion
* Orloff Grenadiers battalion, Free Worlds League, FedCom Civil War

And to finish off the front 2 rows,

Right edge, front:
* Warrior House Dai Da Chi battalion, Capellan Confederation, Clan Invasion
* 13th Marik Militia battalion, Free Worlds League, Clan Invasion

Right edge, back:
* 12th Atrean Dragoons battalion, Free Worlds League, Jihad
* II Cohort, IV Legio, Marian Hegemony, Jihad.

More to come!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: The Field of Mars, aka The Lot - Mk II
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2017, 20:08:29 »
(sound of jaw hitting floor) That's a lot of Battletech in one spot...and it's freaking awesome!  I can only aspire to have that kind of collection someday  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2017, 20:10:54 »
Wow. Impressive!

That's like some 2000 miniatures there, at least that would be my ballpark guess.

I wonder how long a game with all those would take. Probably months... You could re-enact some of biggest battles in BTU.

How much you think you've spent on those?
And how many years that has taken?

And here i was thinking i've went overboard with what i've got (180 minis, or thereabouts), since i don't find time to work on them  :P

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2017, 20:20:44 »
That is impressive  [drool]
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2017, 20:26:46 »
Some minis date back to 1985 or so, as soon as Heritage got the licence to make Ral Partha minis in Australia. I've got a bunch of those originals, towards the back.

I'm proudest to say I only knocked one over which needed repairs in the process. Now to move them all back!

Not pictured - the 200-odd unpainted 'Mech minis, the couple of dozen unpainted CAVs, or the half-cubic-yard or so of MWDA 'Mechs, vehicles, and infantry - the latter two categories contributing to making my combined-arms battalions possible!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2017, 21:23:19 »
I could only hope to have a collection like that far off in the future, I salute you sir!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2017, 01:12:37 »
very nice sir  8)

nice to see some one also with a metal crack problem  ;)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2017, 01:16:24 »
were the MWDA minis in metal or plastic?

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2017, 05:09:06 »
 :o
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2017, 08:29:24 »
were the MWDA minis in metal or plastic?
Plastic. Slightly larger scale than usual BT minis too.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2017, 12:38:59 »
 [drool] Wow!  That's an impressive collection!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2017, 15:28:43 »
  :o

That's.... a *lot* of Battletech.

[notworthy]

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2017, 17:28:20 »
And more lot! Starting from the right-hand edge for the middle.

Front row from the left:

* Light of Mankind Level III "Sorera", WoB, Jihad
* 2nd Sword of Light reinforced battalion, Draconis Combine, Jihad (the brown vehicles are from the supporting armor regiment)
* My "Steel Warrior" collection. The front 16 are from my "Tetsu-Senshi" set of omnis, 13th Galedon Regulars (must repost sometime), and the others behind are related builds

Back row, left to right:
* 2nd Crucis Lancers battalion plus engineering detatchment, Federated Suns, Jihad
* Kell Hounds semi-battalion, Mercs, Early Republic
* Omega Galaxy trinary, Clan Jade Falcon, Jihad
* Battle Armor Trinary, The Raging Horde, Mercs, Dark Age, and behind them a Alpha Galaxy second-line star, Clan Wolf, Jihad

Left-hand side:

Front row, from the left:
* Cluster, Delta Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Invasion-FCCW
* Field-Expedient Level III, WoB Militia, WoB, Jihad
* 4th Tau Ceti Rangers Augumented Battalion, Capellan Confederation, Jihad

Back row, from the left:
* 14th Lyran Regulars, Lyran Commonwealth, Clan Invasion
* Battle Corps assorted companies, Mercs, Jihad
* 2nd Donegal Guards reinforced battalion, Lyran Alliance, Jihad

Cheers,

W.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2017, 21:26:01 »
Plastic. Slightly larger scale than usual BT minis too.

Yeah I remember the size difference but didn't know if material was ever mentioned. Thanks for the info!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2017, 21:30:18 »
Yup, plastic. Scale is as variable as it is with IWM; on the whole larger (nominal 1:200 vs IWM's nominal 1:285), but many pieces are eminently usable. The infantry is more 9mm than 6mm, but look great next to metal 'Mech minis.  IMHO, of course.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2017, 21:39:39 »
wasn't the old Ral Partha infantry that size? I know the infantry packs IWM offers look A LOT smaller than what I bought from RP in the mid 90s

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2017, 21:55:23 »
Very impressive WT!

But you want to know what would be more awesome? Having an Alpha Strike battle of ALL of those battalions starting right where they are on the table. Last battalion standing wins!

Yeah, now that would be awesome...

The question is, are you up it WT?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2017, 22:19:17 »
Well, the quick resolution would be to leave the garage door open a crack, and use the Neighbor's Mutant Cat to provide the resolution.

I'd put my money on my vanity regiment, the Jerichos (photos tomorrow), set in the Empire in Flames universe, with Jihad-equivalent tech levels and many CAV-derived customs ;) But I wouldn't be averse to putting a side bet on 4th Tau Ceti Rangers.

W.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2017, 07:11:00 »
Nice job!! Thats a lot of miniatures.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2017, 22:17:39 »
Good to see the Glen Valley Brian Cache in all its glory.

Surely it is easier to jump on Gumtree and buy the son another second-hand table-tennis table in good condition for his place and keep that old banged up table? Just incase he wants to come over with the kids and play the odd game over at your place  ^-^
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2017, 23:42:23 »
And so, the last offerings.

* The front and rear rows, left side, are the Jerichos - as mentioned above, my vanity merc unit, in an AU tacked off Empire in Flames. Jihad-level tech in a Terran Supremacy universe. A wide selection of MW:DA fixups, CAV units, and the odd Ral Partha/IWM. Vehicle & Infantry battalions in front, mech units in back, in variations of 1st Batallion (brown w/green stripe), 2nd Battalion (half green half brown), and 3rd Provisional Battalion (brown w/green patches) colours.
* NExt to them, my Skye Standing Guard battalion, Republic of the Sphere, Early Republic era.

* In front of the purple monsters, Hansen's Roughriders battalion, Jihad era
* Behind them, a collection of older Clan minis in stars: Jade Falcon star, Ice Hellion Gauss Squad star, Star Adder assault Nova, another Ice Hellion star, and collected non-IWM Ghost Bears.

Front left,
* the Sword of Whap company - aka Davion Medium Guards, FCCW era. Behind them, a selection of superheavies, mainly based off CAV mini bases.
* Next to the Whaps, my collection of MiningMechs, behind them a selection of Marauder family designs, Nagarajuna medium omnis, OmniCarriers, and at the back the Arrow X system vehicles.
* The front lot on the right edge are Unseen-a-likes made from balsa, and sometimes Steel Warrior bases. Behind then some ZOD minis, Celestials, and assorted canon lances.

Back row, from the left:
* Assorted BA, infantry, & field weapons
* In front, some 25th Anniverary minis in assorted camo; behind them, my Jade Falcon star in DA minis painted by Schwerpunkt Prinzep
* Next to them, my remaining 1980s minis, led by a lance of LAMs, with assorted DA-scale minis behind
* And remaining assorted canon minis.

Last photo!

* The desert minis are CAV Bones 'Mechs with DA vehicles, and more CAV minis behind them
* Some assorted vehicles, then my Dark Phoenix Unseen-a-likes made from DA parts
* Plus more DA repurposed minis to conclude with.
* And the rightmost block are non-canon, frankenmechs, and other abnormalities.

As always, a pleasure to share these, and wish me luck for getting them all back on the now-clean shelves!

W.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 27 July 2017, 00:11:36 »
A feast for the eyes!  ;D
Hayden

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #22 on: 27 July 2017, 00:22:09 »
Ok, I have to ask.  With that off the charts collection, do you actually own at least one mini of every Mech from every printed TRO?  That would be quite a feat  8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 27 July 2017, 00:43:29 »
No. Off the top of my head, I probably hit the 75% mark - not great Clan component, and not most of the Dark Age era stuff.

Something to aim for ;)

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 27 July 2017, 08:24:57 »
Where your aero support?

Dam that's impressive.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 29 July 2017, 05:49:16 »
WOW!! Just wow!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #26 on: 29 July 2017, 08:51:33 »
 [drool]

'nuff said
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 29 July 2017, 10:37:00 »
Sure, the amount is impressive! But what really impresses me is that it's all painted! Awesome!

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #28 on: 29 July 2017, 13:34:19 »

CDT Special Agent #343

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 29 July 2017, 14:14:50 »
But what really impresses me is that it's all painted!

There's plenty of unpainted stuff ... plenty to keep me busy, once I reshelve this lot :)

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 04 August 2017, 16:57:11 »
I just stumbled on this today. I won't let my girlfriend see me looking, or I'll be banned from. BTech!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 04 August 2017, 18:02:29 »
When you have more than 3 decades of BT under your belt, you'll be allowed a collection like this!

(Wives usually love BT as a hobby. Hubby is unlikely to be going out to bars, likely to be hanging around with nerdy men, and money is spent on small metal & plastic bits. It's safe.)