Author Topic: Megabots vs Suidobashi Heavy Industry - 17th October  (Read 5495 times)

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
Megabots vs Suidobashi Heavy Industry - 17th October
« on: 11 October 2017, 21:54:05 »
So apparently according to the Facebook announcement, the looming piloted-giant-robot duel between the Megabots' Megabot Mk III and Suidobashi's Kuratas is scheduled for the 17th of October at 7pm PST and will be twitch streamed.

Solaris, anyone?

« Last Edit: 11 October 2017, 22:00:35 by Dies Irae »

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Megabots vs Suidobashi Heavy Industry - 17th October
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2017, 22:31:56 »
Holly **** about time! Finally we get to see some hot mech on mech action  >:D

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2017, 08:41:31 »
USA! USA! USA!
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2017, 08:54:48 »

I hope it’s entertaining, I know they had to really armor up the Megabot to shocks of being hit.  The earlier tests they did was potentially deadly with something hitting the cockpit, but mech shaking could have caused it to fall over.

I think the Japanese counterpart maybe need to be even more modified than Megabot. It was pretty slow fragile from what I seen it originally.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2017, 18:30:19 »
OH YEAH!!! Let's start debating on who will win!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2017, 19:12:58 »
It's going to be pretty awesome!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2017, 19:38:31 »
I hope it's actual fight.  Not to sound like a downer, but i never thought Japanese machine was ever intended do the real thing.  Megabot mk1 was a paintball type shooting machine, but it was all metal.

I've not heard much of anything how Japanese machine rebuilding was going along to make it into actual fighting machine. Anyone know anything?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2017, 20:43:43 »
Team Suidobashi had, to my knowledge, been nowhere near as public as Team Megabots about any changes they may have made.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2017, 10:27:27 »
10 hours 33 minutes remain

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2017, 12:02:48 »
There another team, though i don't think it's going to be in with the Japan vs US fight.

Team China, their 4 legger.   It's name translates as "Monkey King", you know whom it's likely named for.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2017, 13:24:36 »
give south korea a few years to works a few kinks out, and i suspect they'll have the champion..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_lvEWFwjg

though to be fair, they are designing theirs for real world applications, not gimmicky bot-fighting.

Concept art of what they're hoping the final design will look like:

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2017, 13:36:03 »
give south korea a few years to works a few kinks out, and i suspect they'll have the champion..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_lvEWFwjg

though to be fair, they are designing theirs for real world applications, not gimmicky bot-fighting.

Concept art of what they're hoping the final design will look like:

Six months in production and I'm betting someone will try arming one of those.......

Anyone watch the Patlabor Anime? That's what we're going to end up with....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2017, 14:13:23 »
Six months in production and I'm betting someone will try arming one of those.......

Craig

Or early Prototype Zeon Mobile Suits...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 17 October 2017, 15:04:18 »

Craig

given the design looks heavily influenced by the AMP suits from Cameron's Avatar?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2017, 15:10:00 »
I don't believe the South Korean one until i see one walking around without any cgi enhancement.  I've seen the pictures of under construction and it certainly looks promising, but there nothing much on the METHOD bot since 2016.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2017, 17:52:42 »
watch the video then. it shows it walking IRL. still a bit slow, but that is mostly a software situation.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2017, 17:56:24 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2017, 21:55:44 »
Better update the introduction date of Claws to 2017

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2017, 22:09:32 »
That was pretty doggone awesome.

How long until someone writes up the stat sheets for these three 'Mechs as ultralights?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2017, 22:11:15 »
Nice fight, all things considered! Shame Japanese regulations prevented better projectiles. Suidobashi's iron fist delivered some solid hits, but it just didn't have enough power elsewhere to break out once it was grappled. Kuratas is clearly the more sophisticated machine, but it just was no match for all that weight and power on the Mk.3.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2017, 22:12:44 »
It felt like Kuratas gave up too much initiative in the 2nd bout.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2017, 22:21:35 »
It felt like Kuratas gave up too much initiative in the 2nd bout.

I think it was pretty clear the Eagle Prime had them grossly outclassed in weight and horsepower. The goal seemed to be to try and blind them and then hit them from where they couldn't be grappled. As soon as Eagle Prime got the claw on Kuratas it was over.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2017, 22:47:55 »
I think it was pretty clear the Eagle Prime had them grossly outclassed in weight and horsepower. The goal seemed to be to try and blind them and then hit them from where they couldn't be grappled. As soon as Eagle Prime got the claw on Kuratas it was over.

It was even worse in the second "round", when they refit Eagle Prime with the chainsaw instead of the cannon. That pretty much guaranteed it was going to be over once they got in close.

In the post-match live stream interview, they admitted they even had an even more damaging drill weapon that they simply felt was unsporting to ever fit, not to mention potentially dangerous to the other pilot.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2017, 23:08:08 »
The first battle felt bit scripted to me.  They could have dodged little even if the mk2 was slow, but was just standing there.

The second one at least felt like it was some kind of fight. I think perhaps the insurance / liability about personal injury was properly why the fight didn't seem to as lively.   Eagle Prime could have moved alot more quickly given how they showed how well it moved in the videos leading up to the fight.

Kuratas seem to be beefier than than the original model.  I didn't think it would be much good against Mk3 given how much heavier it was and much more armored (maybe it wasn't) it was.  Maybe being in the factory kept them from taking advantage of mobility, that would been better for sake trying shoot each other.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2017, 23:22:01 »
Better video of the Method 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldJswGpkjY&feature=youtu.be

Unlike the original video linked, this one doesn't look fake.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2017, 23:27:03 »
The first battle felt bit scripted to me.  They could have dodged little even if the mk2 was slow, but was just standing there.

Hoping for a point blank shot maybe? In a bigger space the tactical move would have been to go in reverse but I don't think there was space for that, and it was clear the paint cannons were quite unreliable. I think they already figured they were going down in that fight.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2017, 23:38:22 »
And is that the future I want to live in..? Yes.

Alltogether, I thought it was a good fight. A bit gimmicky, scripted and a bit awkward, but first times are always awkward when it comes to this sort of thing, but that just leaves room for growth!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2017, 23:45:49 »
A lot of people seem to have been expecting something other than Robot Wars with bots big enough for drivers, and I'm really not sure why. Real life safety regulations, technical limitations, and weapon control laws were all going to prevent this from being anything other than that. Enjoy it for what it is! It'll only get better if it grows, rules and safety equipment are standardized, and the technology is developed further.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2017, 00:17:36 »
I was quite happy with what we saw, and while the MegaBot Mk 3 outclassed the Kurotas in terms of mass and sheer power, it wasn't a hopeless mismatch like against the Mk 2.  With a bit more room to maneuver, Kurotas could have done even better, and the lack of effective ranged weapons on both sides turned it into a slugging match.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register