Author Topic: The Hidden 5 and other lost worlds.  (Read 7549 times)

abou

• Captain
The Hidden 5 and other lost worlds.
« on: 23 February 2018, 08:43:04 »
I was thinking of this last night as I was flipping through my copy of 2nd Succession War. We have these maps that highlight dead/dying worlds in both Succession War books -- books written from an in-universe perspective by a Paladin for the RotS. Therefore, I would assume that those reading those books in-universe would have that knowledge. And while they wouldn't know that Obeedah is Sharpe and Taussen is Versailles, they would have a place to start.

So... yeah...

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: The Hidden 5 and other lost worlds.
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2018, 09:59:38 »

From the in-universe perspective of someone trying to find the last of the Hidden Five, the problem is several-fold:

1) The early Succession Wars created hundreds of supposedly dead worlds.  Without some way to narrow down the candidates to a much smaller number, you'd need a large fleet of jumpships and dropships to visit each of them in a reasonable amount of time.  Or many lifetimes to get the job done with a small fleet.

2) A planet itself is a large place, especially if the inhabitants are small in number and are actively hiding.  If they're restricting their radio emissions, living underground, dispersing the heat signatures from their industry, etc., you might spend years combing a planet and still miss their settlement.

3) Some dead worlds remain dangerous from radiological or biological weapons.  Sure, some ComStar warning satellites are false, but do you want to be guy who figures out which ones are real the hard way?  You'll needs lots of expensive XCT teams to search these worlds with any measure of safety.

4) Blakie/MD/Blood boogeymen are probably defending the remaining Hidden Five and their other sites.  Yes, you'll know you've found Taussen or Obeedah when a Blakie warship blasts you out of your jump point or you're attacked by a hoard of raving mad cyberized troopers.  But it won't do you any good after you're dead.  Even if you add in the costs of significant security forces to your search, they would still be no match for the warships and divisions that the Blakies/MD disappeared with.

If there's still any traffic into/out of these worlds, maybe automated satellites/probes could watch for years at a time, detect it, and get a message out to "look here".  But deploying such satellites/probes (especially if they require HPG or Black Box transmitters) at hundreds of candidate worlds would probably be cost-prohibitive, too.  Not to mention following up on the false leads created by misjumping ships or other traffic that have nothing to do with the Blakies .  And it might not take much for the Blakies to subvert such a satellite/probe after you left, anyway.

Finally, the last of the Hidden may not be on dead worlds, anyway.  The Ruins of Gabriel were hidden on/in a moon in a "living" system.  Without information to narrow down the candidates, this expands the search to all of known space, a totally unrealistic proposition. 

It's a tough nut to crack.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2018, 10:12:35 »
They are the boggiemen to keep your kids awake at night... and military leaders driven to drink, if they start 'thinking about Blakists around every corner'. Here's a thought: The people living in 3085 have plenty to fear for a return of the WoB. The people living in 3150? They fear the Jade Falcons, the Wolves, House Kurita and House Liao more than any Blakists... which would make a great time for Clan Star Adder to show up and just make a fine mess of everything (let alone a Warship filled with MD's).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2018, 23:38:58 »
Its also why you have borderline legit people out in jumpships surveying- like the group that found the Aquarius primitive jumpship that had been lost for hundreds of years.  Like how IE had a team stumble onto one of the Blakists secret worlds or the New Dallas core was found.

Treasure hunting (or call it scavenging/grave robbing) is a job that has existed for centuries IRL, it did not stop when we went to the stars.  It did not stop by 3020s (hello Helm memory core), the 3060s (Epsilon Eridani's merc fight), or later . . . heck, think of the c-bills finding a world that a dropship or three of Blakists had fled to yet died out by 3120-40s when your team found them.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2018, 23:56:40 »
It's also very possible that some of those hidden worlds have names like... Tharkad.

Which is to say, a network fo shell companies could easily exist on a high population world and be very, very hard to find, especially if theyh're not involved anything dramatic.  A big company supplying fusion components can be 99% legit and still provide a vast amount of support to the blakists, especially if they adopt a strict: no deadly cyberware dress code for any employees.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2018, 00:34:08 »
Its very likely the corruption of the 3140s ComStar was by those who were deep cover agents during the Jihad . . . seriously, after the Jihad was over how long did the 'company' spy on themselves?  Where were the likely agents in place of ComStar?  Gets back to the old 'Who watches the watchers?'
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2018, 13:05:12 »
Its very likely the corruption of the 3140s ComStar was by those who were deep cover agents during the Jihad . . . seriously, after the Jihad was over how long did the 'company' spy on themselves?  Where were the likely agents in place of ComStar?  Gets back to the old 'Who watches the watchers?'

Strike down one Blakist plot, two more take its place?

Perhaps there were Blakists still in Comstar all through the jihad, but with orders to remain in deep cover until everything was over and they would be liberated (or they would lead the Comstar resistance to the Blakists, feeding their people to Blakist traps).  As the Jihad turned bad for WoB, they decided to stay hidden and help Comstar defeat that incarnation of WoB, so they could make another.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2018, 17:20:50 »
That has a very HYDRA feel to it... I like the cut of your jib...  >:D

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2018, 20:24:46 »
The picture of the Blessed Order painted in Turning Points Epsilon Eridani was less Wobbies agent subversion and more "That's not fair, screw you Republic" bitterness and dissatisfaction with ComStar's crippled post-Jihad status.

The Alpha and Omega page also discusses the Blessed Order bases, aside from Omega/Luyten they were all were on populated worlds (though Sheratan was an research station in an asteroid belt, and Terra's Blessed Order base was worryingly Mars...) and frequently hidden in plain sight behind civilian fronts.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2018, 22:10:12 »
Yes, but the question is how they went from 3085 to 3140 or whenever they were revealed.
Colt Ward

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2018, 23:38:40 »
C* was more or less the banking system of the IS, and I doubt that changed too much, even after the Jihad.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2018, 23:07:01 »
C* was more or less the banking system of the IS, and I doubt that changed too much, even after the Jihad.

Comstar Bank and Trust?  (playing off CB&T, aka the Connecticut Bank & Trust)

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2018, 15:43:31 »
And about the Manei Domini:

Didnt those implants make you crazy and shorten your lifespan?

So you have to continually induce new MD and considering how crazy they were (Third Transfer and the real Thomas Marik disregarding all data that ran contrary to the models he alone had computed.), I shudder what they turned into...

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2018, 18:29:57 »
And about the Manei Domini:

Didnt those implants make you crazy and shorten your lifespan?

They did shorten the user's lifespan. There's no evidence that they made the users crazy; but then, most MDs weren't exactly shining becons of mental health to begin with
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2018, 03:04:25 »
VDNI implants did make the users go insane over time, while others like subdermal armor might reduce the lifespan.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2018, 12:13:41 »
Even allowing for the shortened lifespan of the MD, there's still the other
WoB stragglers who escaped.  They had to go somewhere, there's even
mention of a call to come home in one of the books. 

So some ran, with enough numbers and equipment to be a threat in the
DA era.  But would they though? If one exodus happened at the fall of
the Star League, why not one at the end of the Jihad?  They could have
kept going, far enough out to start over just as the SLDF did.  Of course
to my mind, that'd be a touch hackneyed.  It's more fun to think of them
stirring the pot, meddling slowly in the affairs of the IS.

Of course you could feed the fact that there were WoB survivors into
all manner of theories, who actually made Gray Monday happen for example.

With all manner of previous mysteries, we might never know.  Which whilst
frustrating, is not exactly new in this universe.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2018, 00:55:33 »
One factor to consider, is every group out there has to think of the Clans.  They ran away with a large military force (i.e. not a colonization force), spent 500 years outside the Inner Sphere, and came back with a powerful enough force to threaten the Inner Sphere.

What if other groups have learned the same lesson?  What if other groups began setting plans to create deep-space colonies that are properly set up for population stability and technological research & development, and they manage to come back.

Could this have been what the super-jump drive was really for?  They just have to gather enough escapees at their location, and then deep jump to their destination.  The first jump is from Terra (or another source location somewhere in the Inner Sphere) to a hidden shipyard in the Oort cloud of some system.  The Dropships detach and go to a second super-jump ship, while the first (using CASPAR tech) pilots itself into a CASPARized shipyard to have its core be repaired for the next wave of refugees.  By using a super-jump ship, you don't need a chain of jumpships to act like breadcrumbs to lead your eemies to your new home, and searching will be harder because the potential destination is somewhere in 900 light year radius.  Even then a sufficiently paranoid group might have a Command circuit in that system, but watching the destination coordinates carefully to inspect passively anyone who shows up.  Do they make the proper code maneuvers?  Do they make the proper running light flash pattern?  Ths are ways that true followers can be separated from enemies.

The drone shipyard would be similar to the M-9 Pavise, but with only a single shipyard for repairing super-jump vessels (maybe one or more for Dropship repairs), and a lot of spare parts to keep the space station running.  Its purpose is to be hidden, not defend itself, so it will self-destruct rather than fight.  Some MD might even stay behind and form a shipping company, where they drop off supplies to that station on the quiet, along with intel updates so whoever stops there and has the proper access codes will be able to get relatively current information.

Use the similar 3-key MD security that was mentioned in the Jihad books so you need three willing MD to decrypt the computers to access its memories, destination coordinates, and reset the self-destruct charge.

During the lead-up to the Jihad you might have had WoB to try setting up a command circuit of Jumpships to ferry cargo to the survey central system, and that system alone would have the final destination coordinates.  They would simply send a message back to Terra that a viable location for 'Exodus Protocols' has been found.  Colonization materials would have been sent the entire time, so a new colony could be set up ASAP, instead of a sudden surge of material.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2018, 07:50:24 »
The picture of the Blessed Order painted in Turning Points Epsilon Eridani was less Wobbies agent subversion and more "That's not fair, screw you Republic" bitterness and dissatisfaction with ComStar's crippled post-Jihad status.

The Alpha and Omega page also discusses the Blessed Order bases, aside from Omega/Luyten they were all were on populated worlds (though Sheratan was an research station in an asteroid belt, and Terra's Blessed Order base was worryingly Mars...) and frequently hidden in plain sight behind civilian fronts.

This is correct. No Blakists; Only Neo-ComStar

If you can't tell the difference, I can't help you.  ;)
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2018, 09:21:10 »
What if other groups have learned the same lesson?  What if other groups began setting plans to create deep-space colonies that are properly set up for population stability and technological research & development, and they manage to come back.

Could this have been what the super-jump drive was really for?  They just have to gather enough escapees at their location, and then deep jump to their destination.

The MD were created to wipe out the Clan Homeworlds in a suicidal, sacrificial campaign.  The cheap super-jump technique that the Blakies developed was well suited to this.  IIRC, it could only be used once because it destroyed the drive core and LF battery.  So I think the super-jump drive was about buying the MD a fast, one-way ticket to their genocidal goals in the Clan Homeworlds.

If the Blakies wanted to relocate somewhere far from the prying eyes of the Inner Sphere, build up a secret army, and return, they'd need a reusable super-jump drive that could jump more than once -- something that the Blakie super-jump drive could not do.

Interconnectedness Unlimited also/later created a reusable super-jump drive with a more limited range.  But IIRC, it was prohibitively expensive and never got beyond a single prototype.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2018, 19:14:56 »
If the Blakies wanted to relocate somewhere far from the prying eyes of the Inner Sphere, build up a secret army, and return, they'd need a reusable super-jump drive that could jump more than once -- something that the Blakie super-jump drive could not do.

Interconnectedness Unlimited also/later created a reusable super-jump drive with a more limited range.  But IIRC, it was prohibitively expensive and never got beyond a single prototype.

That is what the shipyards were for.  The super-jump drive jumps to a location that has a shipyard, and the Dropships plus crew transfer to the next vessel that has been repaired.  The first vessel gets put into the shipyard, and the escapees travel on, attached and inside the second vessel.

The advantage is that anyone trying to follow them has to figure out which location within ~900 light years they went, instead of just 30 light-years.  Of course if the following group finds the shipyard, they have a much better idea of which direction to look (and can park a force at the shipyard to capture any future escapees, or just dismantle the shipyard).

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2018, 20:56:59 »
Interconnectedness Unlimited also/later earlier on created a reusable super-jump drive with a more limited range.  But IIRC, it was prohibitively expensive and never got beyond a single prototype.
FTFY, Interconnectedness Unlimited and their Super-Jump Drive date back to the original House Davion sourcebook from '88 and 3025

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2018, 20:24:35 »
This is correct. No Blakists; Only Neo-ComStar

If you can't tell the difference, I can't help you.  ;)

After Knightmare closes the door to his private office, a shadowy figure moves out of the shadows, nods and says: 'Well done.  Keep it up.'
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2018, 16:41:58 »
You know too much...
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #23 on: 19 April 2018, 22:55:12 »
* The fly on the wall starts to transmit using ultrasonics... *

I know nothing and that's ma schtik!

I wonder if the WoB does come back, what would they do first?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #24 on: 20 April 2018, 02:33:00 »
Well I believe a good few people, believe they are the ones responsible
for Gray Monday. 

Of course this is a universe, that gives up some secrets very
reluctantly.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2018, 20:30:52 »
I wonder if the WoB does come back, what would they do first?
TT
  Make a left turn at Albuquerque, and go to Disneyland.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2018, 10:30:57 »
"Hi guys, so, ah... we had a weird time back in the 3060s, '70s... we were in a weird place, and we're sorry. We didn't handle this well, and we're really sorr- no seriously, stop looking at us like that, it was all just kind of... we should have eaten a Snickers or something. Anyway, ah... did you all find our house keys? We had keys to the vaults on Obideh around here somewhere and no one's entirely sure where we left them... anyone? Silver keychain, says "PROPERTY OF THOMAS MARIK" on it? Really...? Well, ah, if you see them, give us a call, ok? I mean we don't have an HPG number right now, but if you just talk into the mic we'll hear. Just sayin'... ok, well thanks guys, we'll leave you to your Dark Age..."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #27 on: 04 May 2018, 14:40:28 »
 Now THAT is a voicemail!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2018, 18:13:01 »
"Hi guys, so, ah... we had a weird time back in the 3060s, '70s... we were in a weird place, and we're sorry. We didn't handle this well, and we're really sorr- no seriously, stop looking at us like that, it was all just kind of... we should have eaten a Snickers or something. Anyway, ah... did you all find our house keys? We had keys to the vaults on Obideh around here somewhere and no one's entirely sure where we left them... anyone? Silver keychain, says "PROPERTY OF THOMAS MARIK" on it? Really...? Well, ah, if you see them, give us a call, ok? I mean we don't have an HPG number right now, but if you just talk into the mic we'll hear. Just sayin'... ok, well thanks guys, we'll leave you to your Dark Age..."

Ahahahahhahah. Love it.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2018, 00:30:38 »
"Word of Blake" was an established, recognized and serious religion that had originated from ComStar's mystical trappings.
It became synonymous - somewhat inaccurately - with the reactionary ComStar splinter organisation that harkened back heavily on that faith. But I think the faith and the organisation should be considered two separate things. The inability to tell them apart was probably a strong reason for the elimination with prejudice of the ComStar remnant on Epsilon Eridany. Personally, I miss the sixth House, but I think I had a non-mainstream view of ComStar anyways.

What I'm trying to argue here is that if you look hard enough, then you'll find WoB under every stone (pun), everywhere. Which serves to obfuscate the matter.
We know that The Five were fallback worlds. We also have reason to believe 99.99% of the WoB organisation were relatively normal people. They might have settled on one of the hidden worlds and switched to a farmer lifestyle. You might find a hidden world and not even recongize it for what it really is.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Register