Author Topic: Making Alpha Strike a point system-Alpha Value, now with Protomech AV!  (Read 20565 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
Okay, this is a minor update (nothing serious) but TAG is officially stricken from the list of Specials that are worth +1 AV.

It's very situational, requires not only Homing rounds in your artillery (and forgoing the AOE that artillery provides) but a to-hit roll from the TAG-using unit. All in all, it's so rarely useful that it simply isn't worth adding to the cost of a unit.

I've ran half-a-dozen games using artillery now, and I've NEVER used a TAG Special once. It just never seemed useful or necessary.

jairb

• Corporal

SITUATIONAL

OMNI and IT only matter if deploying infantry or Battle Armor of the relevant kinds. From what I've seen it's worth +1 for each platoon of infantry or Point/squad of BA that the unit is capable of transporting.

I'm trying to work out Alpha Values for a bunch of different vehicles and I'm confused by this part of your forumla.  If I look at the Heavy Hover APC (Standard) it has IT6.  That allows it to transport 2 Foot Platoons (any type) which are Car3 but only one Jump Platoon (any type) which are all Car4.  Do you intend to add +1 or +2 AV in this case?  I'm almost certain you mean for that to be +2AV.

Just for clarity the formula should probably be restated in increments of IT value.

iamfanboy

• Captain
Either that, or cut it entirely - yes, being able to carry troops is an advantage, but it's a headache to calculate since there are so many potential CAR values of infantry.

Just making it AV1 for each point of CAR is a bad idea, I think; very few units ARE CAR1.

And after this weekend, I am starting to question the speed equation again. A friend deployed a force with 5 Savannah Masters and a set of slow, bulky tanks, and really tore up his opponent. But testing is necessary!

jairb

• Corporal
The highest IT value I've seen for any of the vehicles I've looked at is IT7.  Someone who knows vehicles better than I could perhaps identify some with higher values.

Assuming IT7 as a high water mark, that means that units that can carry troops can carry one or two platoons.  My hunch is AV 1 is sufficient for either case.

Should CT or CK be valued at all?  My intuition tells me no because it doesn't contribute to combat capability.

M4cr0Dutch

• Sergeant
  • Fate sits high in the bidder's chair.
    • Old School Gaming
Thanks for the hard work. This is gold  O:-)
"If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution."

iamfanboy

• Captain
The highest IT value I've seen for any of the vehicles I've looked at is IT7.  Someone who knows vehicles better than I could perhaps identify some with higher values.

Assuming IT7 as a high water mark, that means that units that can carry troops can carry one or two platoons.  My hunch is AV 1 is sufficient for either case.

Should CT or CK be valued at all?  My intuition tells me no because it doesn't contribute to combat capability.
Okay, I've changed it to just a level +1 AV if the unit can transport other units AND a valid second unit is in the OpFor. That covers OMNI, IT, and 'most anything else I can think of short of super-sized vehicles.

jairb

• Corporal
Okay, I've changed it to just a level +1 AV if the unit can transport other units AND a valid second unit is in the OpFor. That covers OMNI, IT, and 'most anything else I can think of short of super-sized vehicles.

Personally, I would opt for simplicity and make it +1 AV whether a valid second unit is in the Force or not.  If you have too many dependencies in the formula it violates your rule of complexity.  :)  It's only 1 point after all.

I would actually suggest the same be applied to RCN, PRB, ECM, etc.  Just add the point whether those rules are in effect or not.  The only thing I think should be calculated after Lance construction is C3 structure since it gets more powerful the more units are involved.

My $.02 anyway.

I really like how this is shaping up.  Thanks again for all the playtesting backin this.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O

http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2129/maxim-mk-ii-transport-standard

IT16

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Ima pretty sure that be a typo, I think it should be only 6, but still....IT 16! :D
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Ima pretty sure that be a typo, I think it should be only 6, but still....IT 16! :D

I'm quite sure the Maxim Mk. II has 16 tons devoted to infantry transport, sir.

iamfanboy

• Captain
okay, so I've officially changed the Special part of the formula to:

Special = (1*# of AECM, AMS, AM, ARM, BH, CNARC, ECM, INARC, MEL, MAS, OMNI, OVL, PRB, RCN, SNARC, TSM, TUR) + IF Value + HT Value + (2* ARTL damage) + (2 if STL) + (1 if IT)

Situational Special

+1 AV for each unit linked into a unit's C3M computer, including itself.

+1 AV to the OpFor total for each unit linked into a C3i network.

+2 AV for each unit linked into a unit's C3MBS computer.

+2 AV to the OpFor total for each unit linked into a C3iBS network.

+1 AV if carrying any alternate munitions.

+1 AV per BOMB point if using BOMB

I mean, I've been doing it that way myself anyway for a long time, and it only makes sense to include the cost for everything but BOMB, special ammo types, and C3.

I also went with simplifying alternate munitions after reviewing and testing a little with them, since they do have a fair amount of internal balance.

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
This is great stuff! Keep up the good work!

iamfanboy

• Captain
Thanks, Pryde! I've never let this drift far from my mind, I've just been trying to figure out two things: Whether to change the formula to Long/2 (since Long range damage rarely affects game outcomes), and how to calculate Protomech AV.

If I do them as individuals, the AV comes out super-high for a single Point. For example, one Siren has an AV of 16, which is reasonable for a light unit of its type and damage potential. However, that makes just one Point come to 78 AV; considering that a Company-sized game rounds off at around 300 AV, and that you are supposed to move the entire Point at once (giving them a disadvantage in initiative) that just seems high. Not TOO high, mind, but high.

Just basing the AV on the card itself still comes out FAR too low, as well. 22 points for five M16" SML 1/1/0 AS 1/1 SRM 1/1 units? Es no bueno.

Well, I'm going with the former option. Even if it's high, the initiative rules about counting units do balance out the disadvantage of moving 'five' units at once.

Register