Author Topic: No swearing!  (Read 93436 times)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
No swearing!
« on: 24 January 2011, 13:10:34 »
Lately, there has been a rash of swearing on these forums, mostly failed attempts to cover the word. Stuff like F@#$$ or B@#%@, if even that covered.

DON'T DO IT! DON'T ****** DO IT! (If you absolutely have to, that's how you swear.)  Do not use foul language on the boards. This includes the posting of items with or linking to items containing foul language in them (pictures, movies, etc.) on other websites UNLESS you warn that the link has foul language.

If you feel that you must curse, follow these guidelines; failure to do so will result in a warning for inappropriate conduct. We have installed a language filter that filters out some of the more common curses, but if you happen to use one that the filter does not recognize, you will be warned. The filter replaces curses with a series of ******. Though we have provided a filter to save you time, if you wish to self-censor your post it must meet these guidelines:
Do not leave any letters of the word visible. If you want to censor it, censor all of it. (*****ing and F@#$ are violations of this rule.)
You may use any number of special characters (i.e. !@#$%^), a string of *****, or any variation of {censored}. No other methods are acceptable.

I even had a user respond to their warning "How am I supposed to keep track of the rules!?"

Yes, we have over a dozen rules, but they can all really be drummed down to 3.

1. Be nice to each other.

2. Don't sell or trade anything.

3. Don't swear.

THAT'S IT!

Please stop swearing. I will leave this topic open if anyone wants to discuss the issue.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2016, 16:09:39 by God and Davion »
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Re: No swearing!
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 20:39:34 »
Personally, I think it's still crap. If the language is found in our print, it should be ok to use on our forums.

You don't like the words? Don't use them.

Somebody feels threatened by them? They can report the post as a personal attack.

You're offended by them? I'm going to guess you have a thin skin, judging by how prevelent they are in today's society.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 20:44:19 »
Personally I think mild swearing to make an (intelligent) point ought to be allowed. Trash-talking like you've just walked out of a Welsh titty bar at 2am definitely shouldn't be. My 2¢.
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 20:49:22 »
But we want to keep this place looking like it's PG-13, so as to not scare off the 'rents trying to dicide if this is the right hobby for their youngens.

I say keep the real Profanity elsewhere (at least till the new Boards smell fades).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2011, 20:52:17 »
That first post looks like a verbatim copy from the old board.  Do the mods still have access to the old data?

Winterborn

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2011, 21:12:24 »
Sorry Wombat's post got a chuckle out of me and then I tried to visualize said place.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2011, 22:58:59 »
I'm frightened to ask how she'd know about that sort of establishment.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2011, 23:07:35 »
She has a Hubby, good chance she's had more than one call from an Irate Bouncer or House Mom at 01:30 hours demanding that someone from the address on his ID come and pick him up as the continence of his wallet went on Tips for the Staff and his Credit Cards are being declined because their over drawn covering his bar tab so no Cab will take him since he dosen't have the Fair let alone the $75 Clean up levy.

Either that or Wombat really enjoys going to Hens Nights and Devoice parties.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2011, 23:45:20 »
Personally I think mild swearing to make an (intelligent) point ought to be allowed. Trash-talking like you've just walked out of a Welsh titty bar at 2am definitely shouldn't be. My 2¢.

I need to go to Wales now. And ask if they know you Wombat. As for the swearing, sometimes I believe a few well used explitives are the way to get a point across, I really do. But the rules say no swearing so as hard as it is we should comply as best we can.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 02:10:49 »
Eh, I use mainly d-list expelitives in my text anyway.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 02:14:59 »
I'm undecided on the subject. On the one hand, to arbitrarily declare certain words "bad" smacks of newspeak, and I'm already aggravated enough by certain trends in modern culture. On the other hand, this is a support site for a game company, and many of our customers are younger. Their parents might not want their children exposed to such language (and hopefully they don't read our fiction too closely...) and thus allowing swearing could result in lost sales.

On the gripping hand, it's not really important enough to get upset over. ;)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 03:22:04 »
I like how we have it over at Hard-Light.  The ability to swear your brains out, with the profanity filter if you don't feel like hearing it.  (oh hey, looks like almost exactly what we have here.  Imagine that.)

If you're using insults and/or language that is derogatory in nature and gets past they profanity filter, you probably shouldn't be using it in the first place.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 08:29:28 »
For the most part I don't have a problem with the swearing rules, though penalties for those who let one slip accidentally (it does happen) should perhaps not be quite as severe as those who sailorize posts. Perhaps relax the forgiveness scale... Like if someone swears twice in a couple of years instead of repeatedly.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 11:39:51 »
Ahhh the beauty of being British, one can swear mildly if one is so inclined.  With seldom much risk of giving offence.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 13:56:05 »
I've used them from time to time in my fanfic on the board, though certainly not very prolifically.  I'd like to see them allowed in fanfic, but I suppose the rule has to be applied to the whole forum.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 14:04:16 »
That's my take, that words (any words) are all about how you use them.  If I were to call another poster a [censored] head, that would be inappropreate, no matter what the word was.  If it was dumb head, it would not be ok, because its impolite to say to another person, even though the words are mild.  But in a piece of fiction, if a cherictor would want to say what ever they wanted to say, then that would be just dandy, because the offended party (if any) would be a fictional creation of my own design, and their sense of being offended or not would be in my own hands.

But, I understand that some words hold more sensability than others, and there are people who don't want to hear that in any context, and I can respect that desire, even if I don't share it. 

And I expect the mods will take all these considerations to heart, and look more kindly on a word in a fictional bit that slips out, and less kindly at a rant at another player.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 14:14:29 »
I like how we have it over at Hard-Light.  The ability to swear your brains out, with the profanity filter if you don't feel like hearing it.  (oh hey, looks like almost exactly what we have here.  Imagine that.)

I liked that in WoW, too. There was a de-activateable profanity filter. If you could handle naughty words, you turned off the filter. If not, by default the profane messages were filtered or garbled (I forget which).
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2011, 18:14:50 »
As usual wombat, I've got nothin after reading that.   :-[ :P #P
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2011, 13:07:08 »
Just wondering if accidentally quoting someone else using profanity that was improperly censored (or not censored at all) is still a warnable offense.
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 29 January 2011, 09:57:04 »
Maybe we should have a filter that will replace 21st century swearing with 31st century swearing. Stravag, freebirth and unity will fill the void.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

theplasticone

• Private
  • RasDom? Hardly knew 'em!
« Reply #20 on: 29 January 2011, 10:19:18 »
Maybe we should have a filter that will replace 21st century swearing with 31st century swearing. Stravag, freebirth and unity will fill the void.

Or we can go all Firefly (Capellan?) and start cussing in other languages :D

Hey, it's a diverse universe.

(Sidebar: The captcha for this post is "RCTDEM." Hardly knew 'em!)

Hogarth, base, HOGARTH!

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2011, 22:49:39 »
I know a board that used it's swear filter to replace swears with 16th century English cursing. I kid you not. "Dude, that mini is beslubbering awesome!"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2011, 23:10:19 »
OK, I like idea of 16th century cursing for some reason.

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2011, 00:15:52 »
What if you use something like Zodon is stuck with in PS238? Replace curse words with randomly chosen words, with a different font, and tirades with Rogers and Hammerstein show tunes?
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

Mystic

• Sergeant
  • AKA that RJ Thomas dude
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2011, 03:53:13 »
OOPS....Ok, in one post I put something close to swearing, but not really. I'll make sure to use something else. However, eh, if one or two swears slip in, like already mentioned to make a legit point, I personally will not be offended. But then, not MY call to make.  ;)
"Close air support covers a multitude of sins" - Schlock Mercenary

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2011, 04:05:22 »
Don't much care either way. I have no issue with it, not sure I quite understand why folks do, but that's just a difference in personal taste. Plus, like ColBosch mentioned, I do forget that sometimes we have under age fans on here as well. I was raised with a family who had the mouths of sailors (there's a joke in there somewhere), so it slips through easily for me. I had actually forgotten about it from the old boards, so thanks for the reminder.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2011, 03:25:26 »
Don't much care either way. I have no issue with it, not sure I quite understand why folks do, but that's just a difference in personal taste. Plus, like ColBosch mentioned, I do forget that sometimes we have under age fans on here as well. I was raised with a family who had the mouths of sailors (there's a joke in there somewhere), so it slips through easily for me. I had actually forgotten about it from the old boards, so thanks for the reminder.

You just have to put it through to American Culture. Ever seen the Untouchables? You know, I never heard someone complain
about the Capone killing the guy with the baseball bat scene...but I heard people complain about all the profanity being
"un-necessary"...We Americans are a strange people...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 31 January 2011, 11:28:08 »
Americans like to curse, like sailors. Its part of our charm.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 31 January 2011, 11:45:41 »
What if you use something like Zodon is stuck with in PS238? Replace curse words with randomly chosen words, with a different font, and tirades with Rogers and Hammerstein show tunes?

this would be fun, knowing this group we would end up with a 75 page thread of folks throwing curses at the system just to see what randomly popped out

and BTW someone needs to pull Zodon out of the chair and spank him till he cant sit in the thing
http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ps238/comics/index.php
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Klingon

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2011, 11:01:44 »
Completely fictional swearing, by the thousand sons of Idaho!

Register