Author Topic: Paint shopping tomorrow... Need assistance  (Read 3469 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
Paint shopping tomorrow... Need assistance
« on: 16 February 2011, 18:33:40 »
Ok guys,

So I'd love to get the GW Badab Black that Ogre talks about in his HOW TO on CSO but I'd rather not wait a couple of weeks for it to come up to Canada.

So here is the deal; I would like Black (for a wash? or for the primary color I haven't decided yet), and I would like a Blood Red.  I'd like the black to be similar to GW Badab Black since that tutorial by Ogre looked really well done.

Anyone have suggestions for brands of paint? There are a couple of hobby stores I am going to hit tomorrow and while I have painted models galore I have never done pewter minis so someone edumacate me :)

Cheers,
Michael
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
Re: Paint shopping tomorrow... Need assistance
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2011, 20:05:37 »
It might be a good idea to see what acrylic hobby paints you can get locally. Check out craft stores and also any gaming stores that would have paints for minis. Post the names here, and I'll tell you if I know anything about the particuar brand.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2011, 20:59:23 »
Thanks! I'm going to both a gaming store that had paint for warhammer 40k and TL a very large hobby store that has I don't know what yet. That'll be tomorrow morning sometime. I'll post.
Colonel Mason Grimm

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2011, 22:05:30 »
well, if you are going to a store with GW paints. I suggest you pick up a pot of Boltgun Metal. In my oppinion it is the perfect colour for exposed metal bits like joints and actuators.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2011, 23:19:26 »
Thanks! Suggestions that are made here I will compare against the store inventory when I am there. Thank god for iPhone I can log in here and check whats what
Colonel Mason Grimm

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2011, 05:56:12 »
A store carrying GW (Games Workshop) paints should have Badab Black readily available ... even in Canada ;) You are talking about a store having Warhammer material, so I assume they carry GW paints too.

As for brand I would recommend GW in general. But honestly, ask ten people here and you will get ten different answers. If you can get any of the (acrylic paint) lines made for miniature painting you can't go wrong (for starters ... ;)): GW, Valejo, P3, Reaper, Coat d'Arms, ...

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2011, 15:48:02 »
The paint I got was called Citadel. They had Badab Black wash too!!!
Colonel Mason Grimm

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2011, 16:23:52 »
Citadel = Games Workshop ;)

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2011, 16:52:46 »
Yeah, Citadel is Games Workshops paint and equipment line. Good stuff, quality paints, generally overpriced.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2011, 14:23:10 »
I'm using a spray on enamel primer and I'm not really sure if I'm digging it.

Anyone know of any paint on stuff that goes on nice and thin?
Colonel Mason Grimm

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2011, 02:06:11 »
If you want something that is guaranteed to be compatible with Citadel paints then use thier primer.  Or, you could head to Walmart and get a can of Krylon primer.  However, I would suggest a bottle of Testor's Model Masters Acrylic primer.  It is thin and you can brush it on.  The best I can suggest regardless of application and primer brand is apply in light coats and build up to full coverage.  A good primer coat will set the stage for your finished work.  And by all means let the stuff dry and cure before moving to the next step.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2011, 05:27:38 »
Yeah I noticed that the primer I was using is really a dark grey and even when holding the can away for 1.5 feet I find it still applies pretty thick!

I'll see if I can find some paint on primer before I start work on the Madcat which is my next build. The Warhammer and the Centurion came out "OKAY" but I wouldn't write home about them.
Colonel Mason Grimm

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2011, 07:34:49 »
Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't worked with minis that much, but I used to build models all the time.  Airbrushes rock; even if you get yourself a bargain-bin single action airbrush and hook it up to a can of propellant, they are great for applying primers and basecoats, it's faster than a brush and you have more control than a spraycan.  Once you get better you can do detail work with them too.

I'm actually a bit disappointed I can't find all the parts to mine now that I have decided to start a collection of miniatures (who raided my toolbox?)

Register