Author Topic: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses II  (Read 176215 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses II
« Reply #30 on: 01 October 2012, 19:37:31 »
And of course, Historicals, TROs and Field Manuals are IC, so they're just as likely as everything else to be wrong/changed the next time another product comes out.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 01 October 2012, 19:37:58 »
I dunno, but thats what i keep getting told. Look at the clan invasion. Apparently the IS had SLtech but not in the novels,the DA novels talk about no one has battlemechs but I'm told thats not true... so lately I'm only believing what i read in a fm,tro or hystorical. It stops arguments.

The DA novels have 'mechs being uncommon in the Republic, and everyone else saying that they got rid of theirs as well. That doesn't mean that 'mechs are gone, just that entire regiments of 'mechs no longer sit on every major planet as a garisson while multiple RCTs smash away at each other on the borders.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 03 October 2012, 07:25:48 »
I dunno, but thats what i keep getting told. Look at the clan invasion. Apparently the IS had SLtech but not in the novels
Well, there is the little fact about the novels being produced WAY before TRO 3039 and we can't really go back and alter them....
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #33 on: 03 October 2012, 10:23:06 »
The novels came out about the same time as 3050 and 2750... i understand that the reason the novels were written that way is for dramatic reasons, to keep our attention. It really doesn't change the fact that the novels used to at least seem cannon to every one, until they weren't. The war of 39 novels only shows the DCMS with advanced tech and the fedsuns with none. In tro 39 it shows differently. 3025 says that the DCMS knly has 1-2 catapults but 3039 says rhey have a factory on a planet not listed in the 25. Lots of retcons. I don't care that they regcon, it's just harx to keep up some times.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #34 on: 03 October 2012, 16:50:51 »
3025 says that the DCMS knly has 1-2 catapults but 3039 says rhey have a factory on a planet not listed in the 25

How is a new factory that opened in 3033 a retcon to a book set in 3025?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 03 October 2012, 17:35:42 »
How is a new factory that opened in 3033 a retcon to a book set in 3025?

How are they opening new factories when they can barely keep the ancient ones they have going?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 03 October 2012, 18:14:39 »
How are they opening new factories when they can barely keep the ancient ones they have going?
In 3005 that was the case.  After the Helm core, in 3025, that's not the case anymore.  Hell, even the old Capellan sourcebook had BRAND NEW factories opening up the Raven and Cataphract.  Thank the GDL for ruining it all...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 03 October 2012, 20:15:08 »
In 3005 that was the case.  After the Helm core, in 3025, that's not the case anymore.  Hell, even the old Capellan sourcebook had BRAND NEW factories opening up the Raven and Cataphract.  Thank the GDL for ruining it all...

The Cataphract is a frankenmech. The raven is something that boggles the mind that the Cappiez could do but i applaud their ingenuity.  Tro 3050 talks about the upgradez to the mechs as mostly factory upgrade packages coming out of the FWL. Some were being rushed into production and a few had been upgraded using the knowledge from Helm.There were new mechs, wolftrap, Dobaku, wolfhound etc. But the Hatamoto series was a worked over charger.

If they could go from saying prayers over technology so it could work to understanding stuff from the height of the SL and implementing it in just over 10 years,well, it's a bit unbelievable.

I love this game and all in it so i don't really think too hard on it.

Nightsky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 03 October 2012, 20:50:15 »

Whatever the answer to that is, it's still not a retcon.

Ryyan FireStallion

• Private
  • Might Before Metal!
« Reply #39 on: 03 October 2012, 23:42:53 »
it is.clear.regardless Col.Hengist, that they found a way to open a factory eight years after.3025.

how much tech imprpvement have we made from.2002? We.have tech we.barely.imagined now and easy ways to.make it. i cant.believe im sending this post from.a handheld.phone made.by Samsung or that the Micro SD card it.came w has 16.gb on it!
Star Commander Ryyan

Hell's Horses Fan Design Forum
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,3222.msg74142.html

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
So.... How 'bout them horses?
« Reply #40 on: 11 October 2012, 08:46:17 »
Like the hells horses, no? lets hear about it.
For The Archon!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: So.... How 'bout them horses?
« Reply #41 on: 11 October 2012, 08:49:45 »
There is a dedicated Clan Hell's Horses thread too.Just sayin.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #42 on: 11 October 2012, 09:25:12 »
Yeah...you can come by there anytime and talk to us.  We don't bite. 

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #43 on: 11 October 2012, 09:42:30 »
Really, not even a nip? It is a carnivorous horse after all.  O:-)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #44 on: 11 October 2012, 09:42:47 »
Just hold the apple in your palm with your fingers fully extended.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #45 on: 11 October 2012, 10:35:42 »
Yeah...you can come by there anytime and talk to us.  We don't bite.

The horsies seem to make friends easy both in and out of universe.  I'd friend them on Facebook... if ya know either I or they had Facebook.

To the patient go the spoils

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: 11 October 2012, 10:47:57 »
We're friendly people.  :)

To elaborate a little further, the thing that appeals to me the most about the Horses and what brought me into their camp post WoR, is their combat philosophy.  It makes sense.  The use of combined arms, and weapons that only the Horses could make deadly, I find appealing.  Fluff wise, I like them because they are moderate, not overly Crusader or Warden, but somewhere in between. 

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 11 October 2012, 11:15:16 »
I like turtles horses

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #48 on: 11 October 2012, 17:16:35 »
Do any of your Horsemen know how your Clan came to possess the new protomech types/technologies: ultraheavy, quad, WIGE, and magclamps?  There's only a vague reference to the Coyotes in the Procyon Quad write-up in TRO: Prototypes.  And nothing in the Minotaur XP or Svartfalfa write-ups.  Similarly, in the Hell's Horses summary in the back of Wars of Reaving, there's no explanation.

Does anyone know of a canon reference in Wars of Reavings (or elsewhere) describing (or even just intimating) how the Horses got ahold of these new protomech types/technologies?  Page numbers much appreciated.

Thanks much, folks.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #49 on: 11 October 2012, 17:58:38 »
There's some speculation related to the Hobgoblin on page 211, and some suggestion of influence about the Sprite on page 213, both related to the Svartalfa.  Other than that, I'm not aware of much.  It's possible that some of the transmission of information could have occurred via the Adder unit they picked up.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #50 on: 11 October 2012, 19:21:25 »
That and maybe some Horse Watch raids on Society cells in the former Wolf OZ.  I would think something was found for sure...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 11 October 2012, 22:54:03 »
I find their focus on combined arms and warriors over machines somewhat interesting, but not enough to really care about them as a faction beyond a mild positive feeling.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #52 on: 11 October 2012, 23:33:13 »
That and maybe some Horse Watch raids on Society cells in the former Wolf Falcon OZ.  I would think something was found for sure...

The Hobgoblin was widely used by the Society cells that operated in Clan Jade Falcon space.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 11 October 2012, 23:35:24 »
All the clans had access to proto technology after the Jags went down. Nothing to say the Horses didn't do their own research and expand upon battlefield salvage. I don't know of any actual page references and there isn't any thing in prototypes other than for the Procyon where it says they used some Coyote innovation.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 11 October 2012, 23:46:41 »
There's only a vague reference to the Coyotes in the Procyon Quad write-up in TRO: Prototypes. 

If I recall there was only a vague mention of the Coyotes, because most of the development was done in house. The Horses did trial for Lyran bondsmen from the Falcons, specifically ones with experience working with quad Battle Armor.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #55 on: 11 October 2012, 23:48:12 »
Does anyone know of a canon reference in Wars of Reavings (or elsewhere) describing (or even just intimating) how the Horses got ahold of these new protomech types/technologies?  Page numbers much appreciated.

Thanks much, folks.

There is a mention that, when the Merchant Factor Lorenzo was making his long journey, he captured a Society jumpship
and its cargo, of advanced protmechs, and brought it back, and sold the contents to the Horses...cannot remember what for
off the top of my head..
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 11 October 2012, 23:59:14 »
I love that the Hell's Horses are the only Clan that pushes serious innovations in their vehicles. Sure Chemical Lasers might not be the greatest weapon ever conceived, but they add character in spades.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #57 on: 12 October 2012, 00:03:24 »
They scare people when I play them.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #58 on: 12 October 2012, 03:48:05 »
The hell horses killed my family and raided my piggy bank...glue to them i say! Glue!!!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 12 October 2012, 04:05:21 »

As Mara mentioned, page 134 of Wars of Reaving talks about the Merchant Factor Lorenzo slowly making his way to the Inner Sphere, and being hit by a bandit raid. The crew fought back and captured a few ships with advanced ProtoMech technology, which they traded for "long-term resource contracts" and "choice mercantile agreements." He arrived in Chainlaine Isles in July 3074, then moved on to the IS stopping to meet with the Horses. So the deal happened sometime after July (I'm not quite sure how many jumps it is).

Register