Author Topic: Any tips on two brush blending?  (Read 1650 times)

abou

• Captain
Any tips on two brush blending?
« on: 27 October 2012, 18:39:47 »
I'm practising some two brush blending and I had some questions on the procedure.  Those of you who do this technique, do you start with a medium tone and then work your way darker in one direction and lighter in the other for your highlight?  Or rather, do you start dark and work light in one direction?

I'm currently working with my medium tone and working to dark and to light, but I'm wondering if starting with my dark tone and then lightening is best.  It seems contrast is very important and so going lighter and darker than you would originally anticipate is key.

I started with my mid tone, washed in my dark tone, cleaned up using my medium tone, and am now working in both directions.  It's a lot of work, but I'm just starting to get the hang of it.  After I finish, in another miniature or two, I hope to have some nice results.  But any advice would be appreciated.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Any tips on two brush blending?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2012, 20:45:35 »
I'm by no means an expert, having just started with the technique myself. But I start with the mid tone and work out from there, and it seems to be doing the trick well enough
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2013, 05:54:14 »
OK..I am unfamiliar with this technique. Could someone please explain it to me?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2013, 07:03:09 »
OK..I am unfamiliar with this technique. Could someone please explain it to me?
In a nutshell - you paint your highlight or shading color and while it is still wet you use a second brush (clean, but damp) to smooth the transition to the previous (dry) layer.

It takes some getting used to, but with a bit of practice (and finding out which paint consistency works for you) the technique can yield good results. A useful technique to have in your bag of tricks. I sometimes use it to paint targeted effects like rust, dirt or just some complementary color shading.

As with most blending techniques it is easier to shade than to highlight, but there is no right or wrong. Find out what you are most comfortable with and practice. You can start dark, light or mid tone. I usually start with a mid tone (not only when using two brush blending) as this works best for me and the way I paint.

Register