Author Topic: By the power of STEAM!  (Read 2369 times)

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
By the power of STEAM!
« on: 01 March 2011, 04:34:37 »
Okay so this one goes out to all you guys who fiddle with warped and misshapen DA and Gashapons. I've messed with heating these guys up with everything from boiling water (effective but usually requires immersion of more than the little part you want and can cause some problems when you soften the whole thing) to a heat gun (disastrous and killed a Shadowhawk's barrel).

I got a steam cleaner gun  as a housewarming gift from some friends when I moved to my current abode. I hadn't used it much. When my folks decided to come visit I figured I should zap the furniture and steam clean my good suit for a wedding I need to attend fairly soon.

So after using it pretty much all day Sunday I got to thinking about what else it could be used for. And then it hit me. The thing was specifically built not to scorch or harm cloth or even polyester so it should be perfect for plastic! Now I can literally zap classic problem areas like antennas and barrels and they fix themselves in a matter of seconds (DA stuff takes a few more as it's tougher stuff). Run the figure under your cold water tap to hold everything in place and it's fixed super easily! I went through my entire collection tonight and fixed things that have been giving me headaches for years.

This is the guy I have. Cheap and effective.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=conair+hand+steamer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15409567248647744257&sa=X&ei=WbRsTcDKMI-p8Abb_5zPBQ&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAg#

So if you have something similar stashed around, it could be very helpful. I don't know about buying it specifically for this task but I've come to love how great it is.

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
Re: By the power of STEAM!
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2011, 14:14:10 »
I was going to suggest boiling water and then a cold water bath.  That's how I do it.  But a steam gun works too. Thanks for the tip.  :)

Register