Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner II: Operation Eisenfaust  (Read 181037 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Kampfgruppe Steiner II: Operation Eisenfaust
« Reply #60 on: 24 December 2012, 13:32:09 »
On a side issue, does anyone else think this song has been updated and used by teh LCAF in the BT Universe ("Panzerlied")?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlE9eNWYj4

No reason is wouldn't be. There are a large number of Armored Regiments in the LCAF!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 25 December 2012, 10:54:43 »
German as a people, not German as by being a citizen of a German state (even though they even at that time betrayed the Empire). ;) They all shared the same origin as Germanic tribes after all.
Remember that even during the existence of the Holy Roman Empire there was not only the Emperor (Kaiser), but also a German King (both titles usually applied to the same person).

Other nations that have their origans as germanic tribes are Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Russia(Via Scandanavian Germanic Tribes).  Viking was an occupation not a peope, the society was a Germanic one. 

Like all successor states, the LC is a combination of several cultures.  In the case of the LC, various germanic cultures are the basis for its own culture.  Sweedish is one of the heavier influences on lyran culture as it was Tamars most dominent ethnicities.   

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 25 December 2012, 12:00:40 »
Other nations that have their origans as germanic tribes are Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Russia(Via Scandanavian Germanic Tribes).  Viking was an occupation not a peope, the society was a Germanic one.   

True, but even if one was to take that as premise you could still make the point for the land being called "Deutschland" or "Deutsches Land" (meaning "Germany"/"German land") as a whole if one were to talk about the several splinter realms within the central part pf the Holy Roman Empire (of German nation). As I said, the Kaiser/Emperor was at the same time the "Roman-German King", which referred to all the splinter realms as one country/people.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #63 on: 25 December 2012, 12:20:48 »
There is also a heavy Irish influence... Donagal
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #64 on: 25 December 2012, 16:04:59 »
And Scottish (Isle of Skye!)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 25 December 2012, 18:47:58 »
And Scottish (Isle of Skye!)

The folks from Isle of Skye are Danes, and Scotts  ;)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #66 on: 25 December 2012, 18:54:23 »
Even better!

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 25 December 2012, 19:06:28 »
So Irish and Scots, Germans and Northerners. Good bunch, I say.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 25 December 2012, 21:20:49 »
So Irish and Scots, Germans and Northerners. Good bunch, I say.

It's no wonder we are the best lol.All we CAN do is loose. Once you're the best there's only one way to go...down

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #69 on: 25 December 2012, 21:45:36 »
Make sure we pick up some Finns along the way.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 26 December 2012, 01:26:24 »
Make sure we pick up some Finns along the way.
Well, someone's got to drive the tanks.  Who better than Colonel Raikkonen?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 26 December 2012, 14:09:40 »
Ok, so now I'm thinking of making a 3rd Lyran army. This time it'll be a jager unit. I haven't decided which one yet but I'm really excited( and a bit intimidated) with painting checkerboard.

My 6th Donegal is my wall of steel, my 6th lyran guard is my fast unit. Just trying to figure out what i want to do with the new one... any suggestions?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #72 on: 26 December 2012, 14:19:32 »
Heavy cav?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #73 on: 26 December 2012, 14:34:31 »
Jaegers ....... Hhmmmm ........hunters - head hunters - sharpshooters - plenty of headcappers

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 26 December 2012, 14:40:58 »
Well, I showed my proposed Lyran Jaeger unit on the first page.  I like them as a fast, relatively heavy unit, then use BA and vehicles to fill the other needs.  I chose the Skye Jaegers because of obvious reasons, but they've also seen a lot of combat since their creation. 

I doubt I'll do the checks, because I'm not that good a painter.  Camo works just fine.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 26 December 2012, 15:20:46 »
Ok, so now I'm thinking of making a 3rd Lyran army. This time it'll be a jager unit. I haven't decided which one yet but I'm really excited( and a bit intimidated) with painting checkerboard.

My 6th Donegal is my wall of steel, my 6th lyran guard is my fast unit. Just trying to figure out what i want to do with the new one... any suggestions?

Practicality first. (you know me ;))

If you are gonna do a Jäger regiment, you should choose a regiment that has survived the chaos of the Jihad. Unless you have other intentions, that is. Well, not a single regiment survived, but some have been reconstitued:
  • Coventry Jägers - destroyed in 3063
  • Skye Jägers - destroyed in 3068; recovered enough to return to fight in 3074
  • Alarion Jägers - destroyed in 3069; WoB nukes
  • Donegal Jägers - destroyed in 3070; orbital bombardment?; reformed around 3080
  • Bolan Jägers - destroyed in 3074 (or sooner?), Shadow Division; reformed around 3080
  • Buena Jägers - new regiment, formed after 3080

So Coventry Jägers are out since they existed only for few years, and Alarion Jägers died at the beginning of the Jihad. Donegal and Bolan Jägers have been restored just near the end of the Jihad and those "new" Jägers haven't seen much of anti-WoB fighting. The same is true for Buena Jägers.

Personally I would go with the Skye Jägers. Although they were crushed in 3068, their recreation was relatively swift in 3074 or sooner. Maybe not even "recreation", but "recovery" may be better word for it because it may be possible that those were still the same soldiers that retreated from the League space. At least part of them.
During the latter half of the Jihad they fought on Hesperus II and on Galatea.

And what's more important - they have remained loyal to the Lyran Alliance and turned down Devlin Stone's offer.

So, do you have enough of blue paint?

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: 26 December 2012, 15:23:01 »
Ugh, a Jäger unit... do you have a lot of old mechs that you want to find some use for?
The Jägers are not exactly high on the priority list when it comes to the distribution of shiny new toys. ;)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 26 December 2012, 15:25:57 »
Heavy cav?

Not a bad idea, maybe a heavy cav. with omni's and BA.

Yea, youre post gave me the idea actually.i like the idea of heavy cav with head cappers. Probably some blackhawk-ku' for BA transport then use some non omni cav units. Nothing too heavy tho. It'll be hard not to throw in a few Zeus and Banshee tho.

Well, I showed my proposed Lyran Jaeger unit on the first page.  I like them as a fast, relatively heavy unit, then use BA and vehicles to fill the other needs.  I chose the Skye Jaegers because of obvious reasons, but they've also seen a lot of combat since their creation. 

I doubt I'll do the checks, because I'm not that good a painter.  Camo works just fine.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 26 December 2012, 15:35:01 »
@Martian Yes, skye does sound good. I do happen to have a bunch of blue paint...and i know where to get more  O0 .

@Abaddon yea, i actually have a bunch of old unseens that are stripped and waiting for me to do something with them. I have about a company worth of old leads, some SLera stuff and other non unseen 3025 stuff to throw into it. Plus some more advanced stuff. I have a bunch of tanks needing paint plus some GDL suits, fenrirs,rotts and is standards lying around.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 26 December 2012, 15:46:34 »
Not a bad idea, maybe a heavy cav. with omni's and BA.

Yea, youre post gave me the idea actually.i like the idea of heavy cav with head cappers. Probably some blackhawk-ku' for BA transport then use some non omni cav units. Nothing too heavy tho. It'll be hard not to throw in a few Zeus and Banshee tho.

Zeus and Banshee work just fine as supporting units.  I wouldn't stick a bunch of 3/5s in, but the 4/6 Banshees work fine, and some 3/5s for assault/defence don't hurt.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 26 December 2012, 15:55:54 »
Zeus and Banshee work just fine as supporting units.  I wouldn't stick a bunch of 3/5s in, but the 4/6 Banshees work fine, and some 3/5s for assault/defence don't hurt.

I'm just trying to keep away from the same old, same old.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 26 December 2012, 16:03:03 »
Just avoid 3/5ers and throw in as many Jumpers as possible. I'd call such unit pretty unconventional for a Steiner force.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 26 December 2012, 16:21:59 »
Just avoid 3/5ers and throw in as many Jumpers as possible. I'd call such unit pretty unconventional for a Steiner force.

I already have that unit already in my 6th LG. Slowest is 4/6 and is a battlemaster.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 26 December 2012, 16:49:00 »
I'm just trying to keep away from the same old, same old.

The Jaegers make an interesting chance to do something different.  Its why I stick the quad BA in with the mech companies to form a battalion.  The equipment makes it even more fun.  I stick very loosely to the MUL, but don't care about the RATs at all.  The combination of older mechs with new stuff like the Barghest and Hauptmann(as mentioned in the fluff) makes it fun.  Plus, the older, unupgraded lights and mediums like the Commando and Griffin and Wolfhound are still useful on the Jihad battlefield, if primitives are being put back into emergency production. 

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 26 December 2012, 17:11:48 »
Ugh, a Jäger unit... do you have a lot of old mechs that you want to find some use for?
The Jägers are not exactly high on the priority list when it comes to the distribution of shiny new toys. ;)
That's not entirely correct. In 3060s Jägers used to be equipped with some good 'Mechs. Of course, Jägers were no Royal Guards, but no Lyran Regulars either. Just something average.

And during the Jihad? Every single Lyran unit was glad if they got "any" replacement 'Mechs, be it some cutting edge unit, an Unseen that used to belong to some backwater militia or even a RetroMech.

1st Skye Jägers (3060s)
Command Lance:
HA1-OB Hauptmann
BNC-3S Banshee
BGS-3T Barghest
TNS-4T Thanatos

Fire-support Lance:
LGB-7Q Longbow
STK-3H Stalker
ARC-2S Archer
HBK-4G Hunchback

Flanker lance:
LNX-8Q Lynx
DRT-4S Dart
FS9-S1 Firestarter
WLF-1 Wolfhound

- some of those 'Mechs are fluffed as being assigned to Skye Jägers; we have no extra details about their Jihad equipment, only that the Skye Jägers salvaged some examples of GLH-3D Galahad on Hesperus II. It's the WoB Militia model with twin Light Gauss Rifles fed from four ammo bins and ECM suite. Pretty good 'Mech.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 26 December 2012, 17:15:01 »
I thought we were talking post-Jihad, because your previous posting seemed to indicate that we were.
I could be wrong, but I think it was mentioned in FM 3085 that the Jägers were not exactly favoured when it came down to equipment distribution.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 26 December 2012, 17:24:36 »
I thought we were talking post-Jihad, because your previous posting seemed to indicate that we were.
I could be wrong, but I think it was mentioned in FM 3085 that the Jägers were not exactly favoured when it came down to equipment distribution.

It's a bit confusing since Col.Hengist hasn't told us if he wishes to create "old" Skye Jägers from 3060s, or "new" Skye Jägers from 3074+.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 26 December 2012, 17:37:19 »
Probably Jaegers from right before the Jihad. So a good smattering of old and new.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 26 December 2012, 17:50:09 »
Probably Jaegers from right before the Jihad. So a good smattering of old and new.

Then keep in mind that their upgrade status (in 3067) is 25% of Star League technology. So one of four 'Mechs is equipped with at least one item better than Introductory tech; in other words one of four 'Mech may have ER Small laser or Streak SRM-2. So the company I described above may be actually too advanced.

Their Qartermaster rating is "C" which means average equipment.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #89 on: 26 December 2012, 19:25:46 »
...Their Qartermaster rating is "C" which means average equipment.

Still ... average of what timeline? And what does average mean anyway?

And sorry i think it is absurd, that line regiments - even if they are shunned and despised at a later point of time - still run mechs older then their grandfathers. There is something between 15 and 30 years since Star League tech has been rediscovered and they are still piloting something like e.g. a ZEU-6S without modernisation?
I think the real old tech should be part of militias, not line regiments.

Register