Author Topic: Archer missile painting tips?  (Read 3859 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
Archer missile painting tips?
« on: 06 March 2011, 19:58:05 »
Hey guys,

If you've all seen the archer listed here: http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=5368

What do you think is the best way to paint those missiles?!?? I've been racking my brain (no pun intended) thinking maybe just a toothpick and a single drop of paint on each one? Or a small small precision brush (they are called MicroBrush Superfine) and try and do a dab on each one? Anyone have any suggestions?
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
Re: Archer missile painting tips?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2011, 20:42:14 »
I'd dab each one with a small brush.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2011, 21:17:26 »
It was a biaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch but I used those little Microbrushs I was talking about and then whatever white I got outside the dots I just used a twist tie (stripped all the material but the wire) dipped in black and tapped on the white overspray like a tattoo artist of old LOL
Colonel Mason Grimm

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2011, 22:38:21 »
micron pens.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2011, 22:41:54 »
I don't have any of those yet... Gonna wait till after I order a bunch of stuff from FPG

I must say though that I am VERY pleased with how the Archer turned out. I still am going to add decals from FPG and do the base before I post pictures but overall I'm quite happy with it! Even without the Micron pen ;)
Colonel Mason Grimm

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2011, 03:33:29 »
When i get mech with missile racks that stick out like that,  I paint the whole area white then use a thick wash of what ever color the mech is. turns out pretty good!
"Veni Vidi Vici"

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2011, 08:24:12 »
They don't stick out :(

Just took a precision brush and a lot of patience.
Colonel Mason Grimm

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2011, 08:43:06 »
When painting dots and other small details a common mistake is to go for the smallest brush. The correct brush is one that has a good tip but which has enough bristles to hold enough thinned paint to do the job. Ask any calligrapher whether the size of the brush means more than precision and shape. I use a 7.00 3/0 red sable brush from a solid art supply store for detail. For the other stuff, the 1.29 specials from Michael's will do the job.
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2011, 10:11:43 »
When painting dots and other small details a common mistake is to go for the smallest brush. The correct brush is one that has a good tip but which has enough bristles to hold enough thinned paint to do the job. Ask any calligrapher whether the size of the brush means more than precision and shape. I use a 7.00 3/0 red sable brush from a solid art supply store for detail. For the other stuff, the 1.29 specials from Michael's will do the job.
Seconded. Listen to wackrabbit, this is sound advice. Going for teeny tiny brushes often leads to bad results. You want a fine tip but at the same time a body which is able to hold a decent amount of paint.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2011, 14:19:08 »
for fine details, I use a 10/0 brush wich is seriously long on the bristle end, but has a fine tip. Or of course, pens. I use pens a lot on my minis. Sharpie has a good line of fine tiped permanents called simpley enough "Sharpie Pen." pick up at Walmart for a couple bucks, in a four pack with black, blue, red and green.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2011, 14:22:22 »
I got so frustrated attempting to glue the bays in the open position that I finally gave up...and glued them shut.

Good luck with the painting the missiles project.
Rangerrob

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2011, 14:40:23 »
Hey guys,

They actually turned out very nicely!!! Not as good as say a Long Time CSO guy but I'm damn happy with them!!! The mech is pretty well done paint. A little touch up here an there and it'll be done but I'm not posting any pics until I can get my order at FPG looked at and sent. I'll add the decals and the post it.
Colonel Mason Grimm

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2011, 16:00:56 »
Here's a trick I learned while doing cockpits for scale aircraft....

Take a bamboo skewer and dip it in your color of choice, then dab it on the missile, dial, switch, whatever. Works like a charm!

Here's an example.....

This was all done with a bamboo skewer

Register