Author Topic: Deadborder's Dubious MegaMek Awards  (Read 37618 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Deadborder's Dubious MegaMek Awards
« Reply #150 on: 23 September 2017, 04:30:44 »
Testing of the “Wastes” faction continues with another clash with good old Generic Pirates. The resultant match was interesting, to say the least, with a number of very unexpected results. Much of this came from both teams being apparently unable to hit a thing, even when they were presented with stupidly easy to-hit rolls. This lead to the actual standout moments not just being when somebody hit, but what unexpected results those hits yielded.

Of course, this lead to all manner of Dubious Awards.

The Man of the Match with an Absurdist Twist award went to the Wastes Flea. Not because it did much damage, but because it managed to tie up three enemy ‘Mechs who became obsessed with chasing it down rather then doing anything actually useful. Added to this, it put a triple MG Array shot into a Locust’s head, leaving the pilot unconscious for most of the battle.

The Wifflebat award went to the Wastes Cronus for missing almost every shot it took, even when they were easy ones. It managed to come back with a full load of Streak Ammunition simply because it never fired a shot.

The One Shot Wonder award went to the Pirate Commando for lipping off all its rockets at once, only to miss with all of them. It then lost its only other weapon, leaving it completely disarmed.

The Your Puny Lazer is no match for my Mighty Foot award went to the Wastes Thunderbolt who did more damage through physical attacks then it did with its considerable arsenal of ranged weapons. This included killing the Pirate leader’s ‘Mech with a kick.

The …and the Small Laser award to the Wastes Hunchback for hitting a Lineholder in the Centre Torso with its AC/20, all but coring it but yet not doing any critical damage. The follow-up small laser then critted both engine and gyro, crippling the Lineholder. To add to it, the Hunchback lost its AC/20 that turn.

The Leeroy Jenkins award went to the Wastes Brigand for jumping into the middle of the enemy formation and being shot at by a half dozen ‘Mechs at once. It did not last long.

The All The Fire award went to the Pirate Buster HaulerMech MOD for, in a single turn being hit by infernos and flamers and then suffering an explosive fuel tank hit.

Finally, the Stephen Bacon Memorial Award for Camp Attendance went to the pirate Locust. It fired off its Rockets early on in the match to no effect. Having failed to achieve anything, it then sort of kind of ran away before wifffling around for a bit. It was then knocked unconscious by the Flea and stayed that way for most of the match.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #151 on: 26 September 2017, 17:58:10 »
I think I've posted here before, but this whole thread is just awesome, please keep posting them!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #152 on: 27 September 2017, 07:53:19 »
I think I've posted here before, but this whole thread is just awesome, please keep posting them!

I'm glad you enjoy them. And I'll keep posting for as long as I keep playing and have awards to hand out.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #153 on: 27 September 2017, 12:22:35 »
No icons since June 23rd.  I'm having withdrawal, lol.

That was around the time the horrible forum issues were at their worst.

I always wondered if that had anything to do with it or if you just needed an extended break.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #154 on: 27 September 2017, 18:25:29 »
No icons since June 23rd.  I'm having withdrawal, lol.

That was around the time the horrible forum issues were at their worst.

I always wondered if that had anything to do with it or if you just needed an extended break.

I've been producing them; however, the process of posting them on-site simply was becoming labirious, especially after Photobucket's changes. Rest assured, I've been drawing new ones non-stop and there's been a couple of hundred (!) since the last I posted. Furthermore, they're all still being added to MegaMek as I go.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 27 September 2017, 19:38:37 »
Then take a break, we want more dubious awards!! :P

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #156 on: 28 September 2017, 10:46:59 »
I've been producing them; however, the process of posting them on-site simply was becoming labirious, especially after Photobucket's changes. Rest assured, I've been drawing new ones non-stop and there's been a couple of hundred (!) since the last I posted. Furthermore, they're all still being added to MegaMek as I go.

Woohoo!
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #157 on: 29 September 2017, 20:41:15 »
A third test of the so-called Wastes faction (It’s almost like I’m building for a campaign or something) resulted in another victory for them and, most importantly, my being reasonably happy with the way things are shaping up for both them and their likely OpFors. That’s right, it’s the dreaded Generic Pirates again. What was the most surprising however was that a relatively small-scale battle yielded a lot of dubious awards.

The Man of the Match award went to the Black Knight piloted by the Wastes leader. It won this based on three things; the first was the staggering amount of damage that it did. The second was that much of said damage was done through nailing low-chance long-range shots that often did more damage then they should have, such as immobilising enemy tanks. The third was that it managed to come back largely intact, despite being in the middle of the fighting and slowed by constant overheating.

Speaking of, the Black Knight also won the My Only Weak Spot award for the damage that it did take. Almost all of it was concentrated in the Right Torso, despite being shot at by multiple opponents from different angles at different times. Not only did it nearly lose the torso, but just about every other part took little to no damage; it’s armour wasn’t even breached anywhere else.

Related to the above, the Career Limiting Move award went to a Pirate Commando who decided to go toe-to-toe with the Black Knight with predictable results.

The Parking Lot award went to a Wastes JES I Missile Carrier. Early in the battle it suffered severe motive damage, leaving it low on MP in the middle of an enemy force. Unable to escape it instead drove inside a building and, in doing such, managed to immobilise itself. However, that also allowed it to survive the battle as the building kept shielding it from damage.

The JES I also won the Golden BB award for hitting a pirate JagerMech with a TAC that scored three engine hits, and thus killed it.

Finally, the JES I also won the Angry Retribution award for killing the JagerMech and two tanks all while immobilised. Really, it would have won Man of the Match had it not had to be crippled in order to do it.

The Okay, Now It’s Worse award went to the Wastes Firestarter, or, more specifically, it’s pilot. First he missed a kick and ended up prone next to a Crusader. Then the Crusader stomped him and destroyed one of his legs. He ejected, only to be picked up by the Crusader. It was then subsequently destroyed, crushing him in the process.

The World Championship Headkicker award went to the Wastes Jenner for booting the head off an otherwise lightly damaged Marauder. The Marauder also won the Poor Life Choices award for being in that situation in the first place.

The Catastrophic Existence Failure award went to the Pirate Marshall, which took an AC/20 hit to the LRM ammo. Boom.

The Opportunistic Jerkarse award went to the Wastes Phoenix Hawk. Finding itself surrounded, badly damaged and overheating (All normal states for a Pixie) it chose to jump away behind cover. Only there it found itself in front of a pirate Infantry platoon. Since Machine Guns don’t build up heat, it took the chance to mow them down.

Finally, the Harpo Award for Participation goes to the Pirate Storm Raider. It fired its AC/10 all of once and missed, but otherwise never really engaged anyone. Instead it spent the battle just aimlessly milling about the rear of the Pirate formation without doing anything useful. At least it managed to get away completely undamaged. So yay for it, I guess.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #158 on: 30 September 2017, 19:20:40 »
That poor Marauder pilot... If he was alive today he would never live down the shame of being punted by a light mech, much less one shaped like an upside down toilet bowl.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #159 on: 09 August 2018, 00:48:26 »
Been a while, hasn’t it? Shifting schedules and availability issues have meant that I have not had nearly as much time to MegaMek as I used to. Which is actually pretty ironic, given how much time I spend drawing MegaMek icons. But a recent change in circumstance meant that I managed to get in a battle, complete with some Dubious awards.

The battle was between a DCMS attack force and a group of AFFS survivors on Palmyra. Despite their losses, the AFFS forces refused to give up, and were fully intending to give the Dracs a fight. And whole the DCMS forces did eventually win the day, it was by no means an easy battle.

The Man of the Match award went to the DCMS Tenshi. While it didn’t actually score any kills, was laying down a consistent wall of incredibly accurate long-ranged fire that did severe damage to a number of the Davion ‘Mechs. And while it took considerable damage (including being back-shot several times), it did not suffer a single critical hit throughout.

The Tenshi also won the Gunslinger award for crippling a Davion Blackjack-O that had gotten behind it with a flipped arms attack. While the Blackjack wasn’t destroyed, that attack cost it one arm and most of its right torso. Conversely, the Blackjack didn’t even get through the Tenshi’s rear armour.

The Kevin Sembedia’s Revenge award went to the DCMS Sphinx for constantly missing easy attacks. It would vomit out ten ER Medium Lasers at 5+ or 4+ to hit and yet manage to hit with less then half of them. However, that didn’t stop it from somehow killing two enemy ‘Mechs.

The Sphinx also won the Caitlin Fairchild Award for Bulletproof Nudity after losing nearly all of its frontal armour early on in the battle. However, it took almost no internal structure damage, and suffered only a single critical hit, and that was to a hand actuator.

The Advanced Aquaplaning award went to the AFFS Commander who jumped his Sagittaire into depth one water to flank and break up the DCMS advance. It got a lot more out of the partial cover, as more then half the shots that hit it went to its legs, and were thus wasted. However, one of those that did hit was a single LRM that struck it in the head. The pilot was knocked out and the Sagittaire fell over, breaching and flooding its Centre Torso in the process. Thus the Sagittiare also won the Literal BV Sink award.

The Why Did We Even Bring You award went to the DCMS Phoenix Hawk L, which managed to never once hit with its TSEMP cannon, even against stupidly easy to-hit rolls. In fact, about best it could manage was to lightly annoy people with LRM fire. On the other hand, it did manage to survive the battle nearly intact.

On the topic of questionable competence, the How Exactly did you Manage That award went to the DCMS Dragon II. It missed a direct-fire Arrow IV attack so badly that the shot scattered back and hit the Dragon II itself.

The One Shot Wonder award went to the AFFS Hollander III, who got off a single shot with its Ultra AC/10, which missed. That same turn, it’s Ultra (Its only weapon) was destroyed.

Related to above, the Hollander III also won the Cleft in Twain award after it was hit by a hatchet attack from a DCMS Hostone Kozo. That had its Triple Strength Myomers running. And the Hollander III had reflective armour. Ouchu.

The Career Limiting Move award was shared by two DCMS ‘Mechs, a Wolverine and a Phoenix Hawk. Both of them managed to cripple themselves while failing piloting skill rolls to stand up from falls. And in both cases, these failures lead to their destruction.

The No Nudging award went to the DCMS Spider for kicking the leg off an otherwise lightly damaged Legionnaire at what was a low probability hit to begin with.

The We’ve Got to Get Out of This Place award went to the DCMS Raiden squad who lost two of their members (and had a third knocked down to a single point of armour) to falling buildings. They were never once directly shot at.

The Less Impressive Then You Think award went to the AFFS Hammerhands for its opening up on a DCMS Shiro with full bursts form both of its Rotary Autocannons. However, since the Shiro was covered in Ballistic Reinforced armour the attack had far less of an effect then expected.

Finally, the Harpo Award for Participation went to the DCMS Oni squad. Having messed up their own deployment, the squad remained stuck at the back of the battlefield and never managed to contribute anything to the battle at all.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #160 on: 09 August 2018, 01:20:10 »
And now, as a bonus, have a battle that I found I’d drafted the Dubious Awards for, but never actually gotten around to posting for some insane reason. This clash was a Golden Century era trial between the Jade Falcons and the Wolves, fought under proper Zellbregien. Why it was fought has likely been lost to history, but the Falcons did win. However, this was less due to any clever strategy as it was due to circumstance.

The Woody Woodtool award went to the Wolf commander who picked a fight with his Falcon opposite. In the first turn of fire, the Falcon Marauder IIC opened up with two of its ER PPCs, both at very unlikely shots. The first missed. The second went straight into the head of the Wolf commander’s Woodsman, killing him outright.

The It was a Pointless Battle award was shared by the Falcon Crossbow and one of the Wolf Lupus, who engaged in a pure LRM on LRM duel. Both of them were really good at scattering damage, but neither of them could concentrate their damage enough to seriously damage the other.

The Jumping Jackass award went to the Falcon Thor which spent all its time jumping from woods hex to woods hex, all the while blasting a second Wolf Lupus with its lasers. The Thor managed to deal substantial damage to its opponent, who could barely land a shot in reply.

Finally, the Go Back to the Sibko award went to a Falcon Hellhound who kept missing easy shots on his opponent, a Wolf Coyotl... or at least, up until a point. This lead to the Really?! award when a lone SRM managed a TAC on the Coyotl and destroyed its gyro.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2018, 16:59:28 by Deadborder »

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #161 on: 14 August 2018, 15:53:58 »
These are great. I really missed these.