Author Topic: Can the Magistracy really be seen as a "Periphery" power by 3145?  (Read 9920 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
They have one. "Female..or Male." O0

Mostly abolished during the Star League occupation.  ;D
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Even then, it was more informal than the stratified system of the Capellans.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
Mostly abolished during the Star League occupation.  ;D
Dont you mean The Great Seduction of the Star League general?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Actually, it was the Humpreys who eased the institutionalized sexism in the Magistracy during the Star League occupation.  The Humphreys are themselves known for their strong matriarchal traditions.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
Re: Can the Magistracy really be seen as a "Periphery" power by 3145?
« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2016, 05:24:45 »
I've been wondering if the Majestry is playing some sort of Long Game where they are looking to take over a lot of Capellan systems and bring them out of the caste system by "conquest through marriage".  Marry into the Confederation, slowly introduce Canopian good and ideals, and then perform massive reforms once Daoshen dies.

Then form the marital bond with Andurien and you've got a new, much more powerful and secure Inner Sphere state that looks more away from Terra and more towards the rest of space. 

I would also be led to believe that the MoC is a little more interested in taking a bite out of those powers that don't share the "do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else" philosophy they expouse.  And that means I'm looking straight at YOU Marian Hegemony and your "slave" caste.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 18 September 2016, 07:08:20 »
That's my hope. ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 18 September 2016, 13:58:50 »
Double Blind pointed out it might be a bit hard for them to conquer around the edge of the Sphere, but at that time it was going the other direction.  And the Dark Age has made the logistical planning worse- the Rim Collection claimed Astrokraszy after the Jihad which means they have to push out further.  Would Niops let such a armed force pass?  Or allow parties at war to transit their system?

Right now the MoC/Andurien is growing into the unclaimed FWL systems, probably trying to create a larger buffer between the falled Regulan systems re-integrating with the neoLeague.  When you can take such jewels why travel off the beaten path?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #37 on: 18 September 2016, 20:17:52 »
No. The clans took all their cookies. Every last one of them. And they ate them. In front of the Wolverines.

there, now you know the root of this eternal conflict.

Except for the raisin cookies...nobody likes raison cookies...not even the Wolverines. :(
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #38 on: 19 September 2016, 23:58:57 »
...I figure they'll always be considered a 'Periphery' realm, given they're outside that magic 500-ly line that defines the 'Inner Sphere' and 'Periphery'.

I don't think they'll ever formally join into a single nation, after what happened after the F-C debacle, either.  Allied Realms, sure.  But besides the distance from Terra, technology was the real divider.

I haven't read much about the DA, but I get the feeling that even after seeing Primitive mechs could defend Hesian (?) from the Wobblies and bulk up the armies of the IS, the example was lost on the canon Periphery realms.  Too bad, it could have been interesting, seeing the highest tech around Terra with fewer and fewer high tech weapons the further away from Terra you got.  That way the whole of the rulebook might have been used in the canon setting.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 20 September 2016, 02:41:49 »
The periphery nations did use Primitive 'Mechs during the Jihad to bulk out forces and replace losses. The problem was that the Periphery nations had smaller militaries and a less advanced technological base to begin with, so they weren't able to gain as much from the deal. In their cases, it was more filling holes then anything else.

Besides, what happened on Heisen wasn't just Primitive 'Mechs. It was their use in conjunction with other existing units on what was allready a relatively advanced and high-tech world.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 20 September 2016, 13:17:06 »
Oddly, Objectives Periphery states that the Magistracy was "never forced to institute programs to manufacture primitive BattleMechs. They maintained production of modern BattleMechs throughout the Jihad."

And yet they're cranking out quite a bit of primitives. Must have been selling them left and right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #41 on: 20 September 2016, 14:42:29 »
Or part of sweetening merc contracts.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."