Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 201782 times)

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #30 on: 09 June 2013, 06:12:00 »
I'm sure the early clans had alot incommon,seeing that they was drawn from the same groups of people,and even shared some of the same rituals.I just cant see the Nova/Spirit cats taking their rituals from native north americans as much as the Coyotes did.  ::)

So,,the Clan Prot' has Shark/foxes,,,Novas/spirits and,,,what ta' hell maybe a few ol'Jags?
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #31 on: 09 June 2013, 07:05:31 »
Why not Clan Burrock?  They survived "whack a Burrock" 3 times.  Ok...  this time they suffered orbital bombardment... but still.   :D

This would certainly explain the Adder invasion O0

To the patient go the spoils

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 09 June 2013, 13:05:46 »
Although the name "Clan Protectorate" may imply that the Protectorate is a state for all Clans to come in, it is really only a haven for Clan Spirit Cat (Nova Cats) and the Sea Foxes.  The Spirit Cats who came to Marik under Star Colonel Rikkard conquered Marik to establish a sanctuary for their people, and the Sea Foxes assisted so that they could establish a warehouse district and and have a base of operations in Marik space to trade from.

There are no signs of any other Clans in Clan Protectorate space.  Any other Clans that wish to come, unless they would be willing to become part of Clan Spirit Cat, would be essentially invaders.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 09 June 2013, 15:26:47 »
Protectorate was chosen for the other worlds in the union, which is the simplest version of the government protection racket.

"We tax your exports, Foxes peddle them in the broad markets they have access to which can increase your volume of sales without have to go selling door to door yourselves.  The export tax money goes to pay for protection in the form of Fox & Cat troops or trained troops.  Anything we need from your world which has internal autonomy we pay market value for when we buy the item from you."

Is basically what we know of the formation.  Some points to ponder . . . how many MSC troops survived the Fox backed Cat final push on Marik?  Were they taken as bondsmen?  How many freebirths were taken into the Spirit Cat touman during the nearly 10 years for training?  Could Kisho have landed in the barrens of Marik and kept out of sight to let sleeping Dragons lie?

As for others . . . some of the former Steel Wolves might have shown up after their dissolution?  And yes, there was a Jaguar trueborn among the Steel Wolves, read of that what you will.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #34 on: 09 June 2013, 15:33:48 »
Inova Wolf is not—and cannot be—a trueborn Smoke Jaguar. Hell, she was born nearly 50 years after the Jags were annihilated! What she is—what she has to be—is a Wolf born from Jaguar bloodlines. Her dossier was just poorly worded.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #35 on: 09 June 2013, 15:52:29 »
Yes, perhaps bad phrasing on my part.

Although . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #36 on: 26 June 2013, 19:23:33 »
Very little Spirit Cat info or even Clan Protectorate info in TRO 3145 that I saw from my first run through.

A little in the Juliano pilot section about it defeating some Cats

A little more in the Seleucus again in the notable units section

Didn't really notice much else which is a shame since I expected more being the Clan Protectorate is a FWL faction unless I missed something.  Maybe more in Clans
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #37 on: 26 June 2013, 20:03:57 »
I think the fact that the Clan Protectorate is a relatively recent development has a lot to do with the lack of information in TRO3145:FLW. After all, it covers a fifty year period of time and the Clan Protectorate has only been around for seven years.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #38 on: 26 June 2013, 21:27:11 »
Curious where the Cave Lion is going to end up.
Didn't show up with the Nova Cat mechs in the DC TRO.
Didn't show up as a Spirit Cat/Protectorate mech in the FWL TRO.
I guess it's going to end up in the Clan TRO but produced by who?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #39 on: 26 June 2013, 21:51:27 »
The Sea Foxes?

Though given its a CAVE Lion, perhaps the Bears.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 26 June 2013, 22:09:07 »
The Sea Foxes?

Though given its a CAVE Lion, perhaps the Bears.

Or the Hell's Horses maybe as a nod towards the Stone Lions in the Homeworlds an acknowledgement of the loss they had at Home but the continuing changes...
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #41 on: 26 June 2013, 23:39:56 »
Do you mean the in-universe reason or the real-world reason? Don't think anyone who frequents the boards can answer the latter but the former is because Rikkard Nova Cat had a vision of a bird riding a tornado across a hot and arid landscape.
What novel was this in?  I vaguely remember Dekkard not being the visionary type, but I think that was his dossier.  You've now got me interested in going back and rereading rereading those novels.

Thanks,
Kamose
« Last Edit: 27 June 2013, 00:14:20 by Kamose »

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 26 June 2013, 23:53:07 »
Inova Wolf is not—and cannot be—a trueborn Smoke Jaguar. Hell, she was born nearly 50 years after the Jags were annihilated! What she is—what she has to be—is a Wolf born from Jaguar bloodlines. Her dossier was just poorly worded.
We're the Jaguar lines ever officially Reaved?  Warriors of Kerensky mentions that their exclusive bloodlines are effectively extinct, but was it ever made official?  If not, I could see the Wolves (especially the Exiles) using them.  Always wondered why the Cats didn't use them themselves, being Abjured and the Star League having control over the Jaguar master repository.
Thanks,
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 27 June 2013, 00:03:19 »
I think the fact that the Clan Protectorate is a relatively recent development has a lot to do with the lack of information in TRO3145:FLW. After all, it covers a fifty year period of time and the Clan Protectorate has only been around for seven years.
True... Also, what kind of manufacturing facilities were already there?  I'm certain the Cats didn't take anything with them.
Kamose

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #44 on: 27 June 2013, 01:29:08 »
Curious where the Cave Lion is going to end up.
Didn't show up with the Nova Cat mechs in the DC TRO.
Didn't show up as a Spirit Cat/Protectorate mech in the FWL TRO.
I guess it's going to end up in the Clan TRO but produced by who?

Maybe they're saving it for the print TRO.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 27 June 2013, 03:34:50 »
We're the Jaguar lines ever officially Reaved?  Warriors of Kerensky mentions that their exclusive bloodlines are effectively extinct, but was it ever made official?  If not, I could see the Wolves (especially the Exiles) using them.  Always wondered why the Cats didn't use them themselves, being Abjured and the Star League having control over the Jaguar master repository.
Thanks,
Kamose
According to the Wars of Reaving, Clan Cloud Cobra and Clan Goliath Scorpion sent joint forces to Huntress to reave a number of the Smoke Jaguar Legacies stored in Mount Szabo in June 3072, the majority of those legacies having gone unused since the Smoke Jaguar Annihilation.

Mount Szabo had become a Society facility at some point, and after the Scoprions and Cobras took the facility in a ground assault, they took enough isorla to replace their losses and then destroyed the facility by orbital bombardment on the 30th of June.

The Cobras and Scorpions then started going over other old Smoke Jaguar enclaves on Huntress to try and find out where the advanced tech they had captured from the Society forces at Mount Szabo had come from, only to be interrupted partway through when Clan Coyote forces turned up, dropped ground troops to seize a number of facilities and either loot or remove them, and then blow through the two Scorpion warships in orbit while leaving the system.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #46 on: 27 June 2013, 06:02:08 »
What novel was this in?  I vaguely remember Dekkard not being the visionary type, but I think that was his dossier.  You've now got me interested in going back and rereading rereading those novels.

Thanks,
Kamose
Pandora's Gambit I believe.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 27 June 2013, 06:48:24 »

Thanks,
Kamose

You are either thinking of Dekkard Nova Cat the Behemoth II Tank Driver, or Declan Devalis, the Marauder II Mechwarrior.  Rikkard Nova Cat was the leader of the Spirit Cats in the Free World's League books, and was a huge believer in visions, especially Kev Rosse's.

Truth be told, I feel like his vision has less to do with Marik and more to do with a certain Jade Falcon causing lots of trouble up in the Lyran Commonwealth.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 27 June 2013, 07:33:22 »
Or the Hell's Horses maybe as a nod towards the Stone Lions in the Homeworlds an acknowledgement of the loss they had at Home but the continuing changes...

Hard to give a nod to the Stone Lions when the Horses don't know they exist.  Unless of course something is afoot after the 'loss' of communication with the homeworlds.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #49 on: 27 June 2013, 07:42:11 »
You are either thinking of Dekkard Nova Cat the Behemoth II Tank Driver, or Declan Devalis, the Marauder II Mechwarrior.  Rikkard Nova Cat was the leader of the Spirit Cats in the Free World's League books, and was a huge believer in visions, especially Kev Rosse's.
Could have been thinking about Kisho too. From what I remember, he wasnt a huge believer in the more mystical aspect of the Cats. (Ironically)

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 28 June 2013, 11:13:23 »
Pandora's Gambit I believe.
Thank you, sir.  Hitting the shelves and reading soon...
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 28 June 2013, 11:16:31 »

Truth be told, I feel like his vision has less to do with Marik and more to do with a certain Jade Falcon causing lots of trouble up in the Lyran Commonwealth.
Thanks for the correction - I always mix those two up.  Now I'll have to check HIS dossier, along with Pandora's Gambit.  Thanks,
Kamose

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 28 June 2013, 15:51:25 »
The more I think about it, the more I think Rikkard's vision may have had to do with the Republic itself.  He saw a "Predatory bird circling a volcano, amid a barren landscape".  If we assume that the Predatory bird = the Spirit Cats, then the Volcano and barren landscape could be the Republic, AKA an inhospitable land for the Spirit Cats to find sanctuary in.  Sort of contributes to why he eventually sought their sanctuary outside of the Republic.

Man, I really want some fiction about the inner workings on the Clan Protectorate.  Not just the warrior stuff, but how the Spirit Cats are trying to set up an entire Clan society in Dormuth.  In To Ride the Chimera, they are rebuilding Dormuth in the architectural style of a Clan city, but we have nothing beyond that.

Dreyf

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 28 June 2013, 16:11:15 »
Hard to give a nod to the Stone Lions when the Horses don't know they exist.  Unless of course something is afoot after the 'loss' of communication with the homeworlds.

Why wouldn't they?  The Lions were 'created' in 3075 and the Inner Sphere clans did not officially break contact until the mid-3080s.  The Stone Lions are mentioned in Wars of Reaving which is a Sea Fox compiled document to the Council of Six.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 28 June 2013, 16:19:44 »
Its made for Exiles and Refugees.

Any chance, 60 years later we may have some blood spirit survivors? Or other fallen clans?

I would think Escorpiones fleeting a Homeworlder invasion of the Imperio would be more likely than Spirits.  If any Spirits survived they're probably holed up in he Deep Periphery hoping they stay isolated forever.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #55 on: 28 June 2013, 16:39:58 »
The more I think about it, the more I think Rikkard's vision may have had to do with the Republic itself.  He saw a "Predatory bird circling a volcano, amid a barren landscape".  If we assume that the Predatory bird = the Spirit Cats, then the Volcano and barren landscape could be the Republic, AKA an inhospitable land for the Spirit Cats to find sanctuary in.  Sort of contributes to why he eventually sought their sanctuary outside of the Republic.

You know most people associate predatory birds with Clan Jade Falcon? And Malvina has form with barren landscapes. Just pointing out that there are lots of ways to read that. And that assumes Nova Cat visions aren't hokum to start with.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #56 on: 28 June 2013, 16:55:32 »
He saw a "Predatory bird circling a volcano, amid a barren landscape".

He saw "a predatory bird astride a tornado moving across an endless, hot and dry landscape".

The predatory bird is the Marik eagle. The tornado and the hot and dry landscape describe the climate of the planet Marik, as described in both house books. I don't have my PDFs available right now or I'd paste some relevant quotes (I recall that the first book contains specific refs to frequent tornados crisscrossing the landscape, or somesuch), but you can look them up for yourself.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 28 June 2013, 20:07:08 »
He saw "a predatory bird astride a tornado moving across an endless, hot and dry landscape".

The predatory bird is the Marik eagle. The tornado and the hot and dry landscape describe the climate of the planet Marik, as described in both house books. I don't have my PDFs available right now or I'd paste some relevant quotes (I recall that the first book contains specific refs to frequent tornados crisscrossing the landscape, or somesuch), but you can look them up for yourself.
No problem, I'll gladly look it up myself.  I just appreciate the confirmation on the references.  Thanks again.
Kamose

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 28 June 2013, 20:38:28 »

Yup Marik was always described as arid and windswept with buildings built low to the ground almost like bunkers to protect them from the weather not really a holiday spot

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 28 June 2013, 21:21:50 »
Well, guess that's what happens when I never read anything that describes the planetary climate of Marik.  Hopefully such an inhospitable planet isn't something the other Free Worlds League states will want again any time soon.