Author Topic: Solaris Skunk Werks and Me -- Volume the Second  (Read 96472 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks and Me -- Volume the Second
« Reply #360 on: 12 April 2017, 12:30:31 »
It would be nice if CGL did put a bit more effort into their call for a program.  At the very least they need to put out their own list of desired end goals with more detail than just "complete".

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #361 on: 12 April 2017, 12:35:31 »

Indeed, the call lacked the needed details for companies to work with.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #362 on: 12 April 2017, 14:03:08 »
It would be nice if CGL did put a bit more effort into their call for a program.  At the very least they need to put out their own list of desired end goals with more detail than just "complete".

CGL doesn't know how to make software and CGL isn't going to hire a software analyst.  Replace "CGL should.." with "CGL needs someone to do.." and continue until you get to where CGL just offers approval (and presumably not enough money).  Whatever you think CGL should do re: software, then add it to what they need somebody to do.  They don't know how to do it.  The work of figuring out that information is as much a part of the job as the actual coding.

Not that you, or anybody else, has to do what CGL needs.  You are perfectly reasonable to say you want X.  But for most requests, CGL isn't capable of doing it.  Thus why it hasn't been done.  IMO, they are (or possible were and aren't now) looking for somebody that wanted to do it anyway (similar to MM and SSW), and they could just offer official approval and/or compensation.  That's all CGL is really capable of offering.

All of the above is just my 2 cents, of course.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #363 on: 12 April 2017, 14:19:10 »
CGL doesn't know how to make software and CGL isn't going to hire a software analyst.  Replace "CGL should.." with "CGL needs someone to do.." and continue until you get to where CGL just offers approval (and presumably not enough money).  Whatever you think CGL should do re: software, then add it to what they need somebody to do.  They don't know how to do it.  The work of figuring out that information is as much a part of the job as the actual coding.

Not that you, or anybody else, has to do what CGL needs.  You are perfectly reasonable to say you want X.  But for most requests, CGL isn't capable of doing it.  Thus why it hasn't been done.  IMO, they are (or possible were and aren't now) looking for somebody that wanted to do it anyway (similar to MM and SSW), and they could just offer official approval and/or compensation.  That's all CGL is really capable of offering.

All of the above is just my 2 cents, of course.
I think that there is a bit of miscommunication here. I think the issue was that the request for proposal was just very lacking.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #364 on: 12 April 2017, 14:26:20 »
I think that there is a bit of miscommunication here. I think the issue was that the request for proposal was just very lacking.

IE. They need somebody that knows how to write a request for proposal, and don't have such a person.  Add that to the list of things CGL needs for this to happen, and is currently incapable of doing/providing.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #365 on: 12 April 2017, 15:47:40 »
I am interested in modern, up-to-date and complete design programs. I would support this and I am baffled by the new books still have paper design rules in them. PDF-only and publish a design program! It is THE unique aspect of the game and it's never been fully capitalized.

Then talk to Microsoft. They own the digital portion of the IP. (Everything to from video games to play aide computer programs.)

And for all we know, the guy behind the Heavy Metal programs may still have the license for unit creation software.

Bottom line, we will NEVER get another official unit designer program without Microsoft's approval.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #366 on: 12 April 2017, 15:53:51 »
Bottom line, we will NEVER get another official unit designer program without Microsoft's approval.

Considering that they asked for completed software I don't think this is an issue. The real issue is no one probably wants to do the work for less than peanuts considering how much would have to go into said software.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #367 on: 12 April 2017, 16:27:16 »
Considering that they asked for completed software I don't think this is an issue. The real issue is no one probably wants to do the work for less than peanuts considering how much would have to go into said software.

It's my understanding that when they asked for such software it was for in-house use by Catalyst. That may fall under a different license from Microsoft than a commercially available program for fans to use.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #368 on: 12 April 2017, 18:44:45 »
IE. They need somebody that knows how to write a request for proposal, and don't have such a person.  Add that to the list of things CGL needs for this to happen, and is currently incapable of doing/providing.

Well it is a more complex problem than that it seems.  It is easy to write a RFP paper, I know I've actually had to write a few, and CGL has plenty of good writers that should have no trouble doing one, if not I'm more than happy to offer my services for free, baring free the absolute minimum to keep everything above board and cause as few problems as possible.

Where the hang up seems to really be is that no one has even really decided what the end goals need to be beyond "complete".  The fans have put forward far more criteria than CGL has and that is not good since really it should only take a few minutes,barring arguments and other bickering, to put together something that will get real attention/effort.

The final terms would have to be worked out between CGL and whoever does decide to even submit a program.  Though I suspect that there are a fair number of companies/coders who do look at CGL and Battletech in particular as no where near big enough to offer a sufficient payout, especially with how slipshod the entire process has been.  As such you are probably fairly close to the truth.

It's my understanding that when they asked for such software it was for in-house use by Catalyst. That may fall under a different license from Microsoft than a commercially available program for fans to use.

It would not hurt for CGL to clarify such matters.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #369 on: 12 April 2017, 19:46:53 »
It would also not particularly help them to tell the four people reading this thread.  Would it be nice?  Yeah.  Is it going to happen?  Probably not.  Is that going to hurt CGL?  Not even a little bit.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #370 on: 12 April 2017, 21:30:02 »
Oh I'll agree there is a more appropriate thread for them to give more details/clarifications in than this one but that doesn't change the fact that if they want serious submissions there are some fairly simple things they really should do that they haven't and it is really getting to the point where it is hard for me to believe CGL is actually serious about wanting new design software.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #371 on: 12 April 2017, 22:46:34 »
It would also not particularly help them to tell the four people reading this thread.  Would it be nice?  Yeah.  Is it going to happen?  Probably not.  Is that going to hurt CGL?  Not even a little bit.

Depends on how you look at it. It's awfully belittling to assume "only four people" are reading this thread.

The few fans this game has left are typically told little in the way of what to expect. I've known more than a few who've walked away entirely as they either cannot find a game or find the materials. Or they're very expensive, outdated, or poor quality. See the link below. That's a core rule book that can't stay in print continuously. Yes, I know they're between editions. But have you ever seen that of (A)D&D? Warhammer? Their material is front-and-center at every FLGS. BattleTech? Most game stores think it's a dead game.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/193687685X/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

So what are new players to think? Can't find products being sold, are seeing super high prices for core rules, and the only software for generating sheets is outdated by over a decade. And no public answers to be found. So if you think it "won't hurt CGL even a little bit," you may be right. But mostly because there's no damage left to be done. I can find a game of 1978 Holmes edition OD&D easier than I can BT, and that's been out of print for 25 years.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 23:38:28 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #372 on: 12 April 2017, 23:25:22 »
I do find myself in a certain amount of agreement with Tigershark.

I choose to believe there was no intentional insult meant but no matter which way you look at it the statement does illustrate some worrying trends that I've noticed.

Threads(or those that de-rail into the following) where fans express their concern over the status/future of CGL and Battletech in particular are becoming more common and frequent.  I understand why, from what can be assessed from the fan side it is very easy to interpret the available information in such a way to cause concern and there is a certain amount of scorn being shown for even those who are being reasonable and respectful in expressing such concerns.

Still that we haven't gotten anything more than "complete" from CGL in over a year despite indications we would get more information on this matter is just another reason for those of us on the outside to feel concerned.

In this particular case I do not think it is unreasonable to expect CGL to be a bit more publicly pro-active in making decisions and clarifications.  At least if they really are serious about wanting real submissions for new official software.

That said I do not think said information should be just for this thread or even this forum.

[edit]Don't mind me too much.  Too many graveyard shifts lately that I'm still adjusting to causing grammar errors.[/edit]
« Last Edit: 13 April 2017, 16:18:43 by monbvol »

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #373 on: 13 April 2017, 08:33:55 »
.....MML really isnt that bad.  My $0.02.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #374 on: 13 April 2017, 11:34:15 »
It really isn't.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #375 on: 13 April 2017, 12:25:18 »
At least its still in development and getting features added and bugs fixed.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #376 on: 11 June 2017, 13:33:59 »
Anyone here know the trick to get SSW to print with the picture of the mech you select?

Does it like a certain kind of image format?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #377 on: 11 June 2017, 20:15:04 »
Anyone here know the trick to get SSW to print with the picture of the mech you select?

Does it like a certain kind of image format?
most my files are .jpg.  I happened to used the ones i got from my old Heavy Metal Pro program. 

For newer images, I just add new ones by copy/pasting pictures into paint and saving them as .jpgs.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #378 on: 12 June 2017, 17:06:21 »
But that works for you?

That's what I did and it wouldn't print. Did you shrink them to a certain size?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #379 on: 08 December 2017, 20:00:19 »
It has always worked for Me.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #380 on: 08 December 2017, 20:52:14 »
First of all, I completely forgot about the thread.

Seems like that most of the files i have in HMP are 100 and below of kilobytes.
If the files are large it's possible that could have been the reason.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #381 on: 10 December 2017, 18:05:31 »
First of all, I completely forgot about the thread.

Seems like that most of the files i have in HMP are 100 and below of kilobytes.
If the files are large it's possible that could have been the reason.

That could have been. I think I deleted all those smaller files for hi-res versions over time.

A.E. Housman

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #382 on: 29 August 2018, 18:01:54 »
That could have been. I think I deleted all those smaller files for hi-res versions over time.

Try adding your Mech to the Force List and printing from there?   When I just tried that it asked me where the /image files were on the disk and then loaded them in automatically.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #383 on: 29 August 2018, 18:10:51 »
Anyone have issues running SSW on Windows 10?

I can download files and unzip folder but application doesn't seem to want to run really stuck at moment frustrating
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #384 on: 29 August 2018, 18:11:59 »
Anyone have issues running SSW on Windows 10?

I can download files and unzip folder but application doesn't seem to want to run really stuck at moment frustrating

I am on Windows 10 and was just running it.  Do you already have Java installed?  Check out http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/running-ssw

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #385 on: 30 August 2018, 20:10:40 »
It blows my mind that so many years after this program stopped being updated; there are still people using it, such as myself.

SSW set such a high bar for design, functionality and ease of use. I wish like hell that it was still being worked on.

A.E. Housman

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #386 on: 31 August 2018, 19:32:45 »
I am on Windows 10 and was just running it.  Do you already have Java installed?  Check out http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/running-ssw

I'll try downloading the lot again
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #387 on: 19 July 2020, 09:58:43 »
It blows my mind that so many years after this program stopped being updated; there are still people using it, such as myself.

SSW set such a high bar for design, functionality and ease of use. I wish like hell that it was still being worked on.

Apparently, it is still being worked on..It got updated in January of this very year! I am wondering when the next updates are going to be out..
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #388 on: 19 July 2020, 14:28:52 »

I prefer it over MML. SSW is more intuitive even if it lacks some of the most recent options (most of which I would never use)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #389 on: 19 July 2020, 16:43:34 »
I'd love a web based version instead of java based.