Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: AS*-* Atlas  (Read 56124 times)

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Re: ’Mech of the Week: AS*-* Atlas
« Reply #90 on: 27 March 2014, 21:35:23 »
"The 'wet Atlas' is creepy enough, did they need the loudspeakers playing 'Cherry Pie' to go with it though?"

Not 'Slippery When Wet'?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #91 on: 27 March 2014, 22:16:48 »
 ???...well, you just found a way to make the Coolant Trunk kinda dirty in a very weird way but its nice to see people thinking of using support units for a change ;D

C3 is awesome though, what's not to like? Well, sides the BV, but that's not really a justification if you look purely at the powerlevel.
I have nothing against C3 but I never bother to go through the trouble of building a lance around the C3 network to take full advantage of it.

If your already a fan of the C3, you probably already have a good idea of what mechs you would team up with the AS7-Dr.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #92 on: 27 March 2014, 22:33:38 »
If your already a fan of the C3, you probably already have a good idea of what mechs you would team up with the AS7-Dr.

...More Atlases?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 27 March 2014, 22:43:22 »
Areses.  The Atlas is the scout.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 28 March 2014, 00:57:41 »
"The 'wet Atlas' is creepy enough, did they need the loudspeakers playing 'Cherry Pie' to go with it though?"

OUCH..  The mental image i had when i read that made me almost cover my screen in Mtn Dew..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #95 on: 28 March 2014, 01:16:09 »
Martian hit on my thinking- if we already had an Atlas in the DCMS packing twin PPCs, why not make that your go-to configuration for an upgrade? (With DHS, natch)

Granted, no idea if it would work, but it would be a hell of an improvement over the 7K.

I tried building that a few years ago: DHS, standard engine.  Got a little difficult fitting everything in and I couldn't build an exact duplicate of the 7K, but it was a pretty nasty machine with better heat dissipation and survivability.

Oh, and one thing that seems to have been missed in the OP: The AS-7S2 and S3 variants have LRM 15s with Artemis IV, not LRM 20s.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 28 March 2014, 16:18:07 »
Is Atlas III going to gets its own article or is it considered part of the original Atlas family?

Since I can't find an article for the Atlas II, I was considering placing both it and the III on my to-do list.

That said, anyone else who wants to write them up first...

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 28 March 2014, 16:22:36 »
Oh, and one thing that seems to have been missed in the OP: The AS-7S2 and S3 variants have LRM 15s with Artemis IV, not LRM 20s.

Good catch. Updated.

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
« Reply #98 on: 28 March 2014, 17:00:42 »
I´ve never used the Atlas on a regular base, mostly because it screams !Lyran! at me at high volumes and that is something that usually makes me shoot in that direction, but I got to say its reputation is not unfounded.
I never liked the weapon placement, though, and I have never grown fond (or rather not scared) of any upgraded variants with especially the 3050 variants giving me fits. The AS7-K2 and -K3 continue the terrible tradition of carrying huge honking explody weapons in ther side torsos and use XL engines. Yes, it is not as bad as many say, because you got to eat through that armour first before the explody bits are even a factor and I use Mechs with this flaw myself, but for me it goes completely against the character of the Atlas. It is meant to be the biggest, meanest kid on the block that just keeps coming at you regardless of what you throw at it. (and they look goofy, too.)

So far I have had no experience with or against it, but when it comes to gut feeling the AS8-D is what I am looking for when I want an Atlas. Finally TSM, so you can really throw other Mechs around like toys! That is what I expect from an Atlas! Hostile Wasps and Stingers are not a problem or even a nuisance, but useful close combat weapons! I also like the fact that your arm weapons won´t get used in spitting range anyways, so you are free to hug anyone that comes your way. Yes, your long range armament is lacking, but as others have said if your assault Mechs aren´t assaulting a location or defending it against an enemy assault, you are doing it wrong. And the AS8-D is built to be in the thick of it and still walk away.

Honorary mention goes to the AS7-Dr. Of course it is not on par with other modern assault Mechs, but if you consider that it is merely a refit (below depot level if I am not mistaken) which forbids many design changes considered essential nowadays (like DHS and CASE) it is quite sensible.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 28 March 2014, 17:08:17 »
I never liked the weapon placement, though, and I have never grown fond (or rather not scared) of any upgraded variants with especially the 3050 variants giving me fits. The AS7-K2 and -K3 continue the terrible tradition of carrying huge honking explody weapons in ther side torsos and use XL engines. Yes, it is not as bad as many say, because you got to eat through that armour first before the explody bits are even a factor and I use Mechs with this flaw myself, but for me it goes completely against the character of the Atlas. It is meant to be the biggest, meanest kid on the block that just keeps coming at you regardless of what you throw at it. (and they look goofy, too.)

Thy Lyran AS7-S3 has advantage here, as it comes with Light Engine and CASE, so it can survive internal GR explosion and following side torso loss.

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #100 on: 04 April 2015, 03:14:57 »
I played against the Atlas a few times in my college days...in those ancient days
of 3025 tech 8-) The guy who got to pilot the Atlas was excited...at least for the
first turn or two....

Two things soon became clear. The Atlas is sloooooow and in any mobile
scenario of any distance the rest of the force soon pulled away leaving
our Atlas driver to use his LRM's or just spectate. Secondly....the fluff
(and the very real guns) left few willing to tangle.

The Atlas has always seemed to me a machine you either attack
things slower then you or things that don't move at all....

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 04 April 2015, 05:43:54 »
I found the secret of using an Atlas (or other short ranged slow designs) is to force the opponent to deal with it.

Be it as the spearhead of an assault on an objective or defendind a objective from opponents, blocking a bottleneck or clearing some, ect.

Just do not try to chase anything, just kill what tries to chase you.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #102 on: 04 April 2015, 05:59:16 »
I found Atlas in it's Succession Wars era Atlas were tanks, but more useful in cities, where enemy fire does not concentrate on it as much.  It maybe me, but i noticed in much old game play that focus fire isn't always the way.  Now a days, it's everything. The Atlas can take degree of that, but it always comes and you can't bring your assault autocannon in range fast enough before a crit happens.

Later versions, like the AS7-K2 and K3 are particular nasty all-range machines. CM version is nice command vehicle, which what Atlas was always intended to be with Master C3 Computer.   I like also the retro/refit of the original, the AS7-Dr. 
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 20:09:54 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #103 on: 04 April 2015, 23:12:22 »
I would certainly agree that, certainly in its 3025 flavor, the Atlas needs to be close to its objective
to be of use...whether defending or attacking. The Atlas also really did have a reputation among
the new folks I played with for a while back in the day...folks kept their distance.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2015, 23:14:30 by Valtech »

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #104 on: 04 April 2015, 23:21:33 »
Personally, I always hated having my stronger weapons in the arms; One of the reasons why I love the Atlas design so much. No pesky, easy-to-lose primary weaponry in the arms. Sure, you have a big honking explodomite gun in the right torso, but totally worth it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #105 on: 05 April 2015, 00:19:52 »
My favorite arrangement has always been to place the close range weaponry in the torso with long range guns in the arms.  That way I can let fly with a full barrage at close range and still get the thing off their face.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 05 April 2015, 02:07:42 »
My favorite arrangement has always been to place the close range weaponry in the torso with long range guns in the arms.  That way I can let fly with a full barrage at close range and still get the thing off their face.
And then punch if they get TOO close.
Thinking on that, i can't remember did they ever make a TSM version?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #107 on: 05 April 2015, 03:08:00 »
And then punch if they get TOO close.
Thinking on that, i can't remember did they ever make a TSM version?
The prototype AS8-D from JTP: New Avalon.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #108 on: 05 April 2015, 09:20:31 »
And the non - prototype version in TROY 3085.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 05 April 2015, 17:57:33 »
Hmm.  I might have to make an earlier tech (say 3062 and earlier time) version which does have TSM.

Pooman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 08 April 2015, 05:10:24 »
Personally, I've always had a soft spot for the Atlas and I've had several memorable moments with it.

I like the AS7-S at the moment. I take it with three tons of precision ammo (only six shots) and use it to swat enemy lights that stray too close. It really starred for me in a tournament two weeks ago. Over the course of three games it destroyed five mechs - three in the one game. I guess I gambled with it. I figured running out of ammo would not be a problem due to time constraints for each round. Didn't lose the Atlas in any games - won all my games. Finished second overall but won the painting prize.

I think, you've got to use the Atlas as part of a team for it to be effective. As has been stated, it has its limitations but boy can it take a pounding and still walk away!
PM me if you live in Perth Western Australia and are after a game. Please!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 05 November 2017, 21:07:28 »
The Atlas II AS7-D-H2;
ER PPC
Gauss Rifle
LRM 20
SRM 6
2X Medium Pulse Lasers

That at least matches the Highlander.

How do you like this vs the other clan tech version?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #112 on: 05 November 2017, 22:39:38 »
The forgotten 7S to me seems like more of an upgrade of existing chassis, not a complete rebuild.
That happens to be exactly how I use it.
Take my old L1 models & field refit them into the 7S (or later 7Dr) version.

The first round of post-3050 Atlases, the AS7-K, AS7-C and AS7-CM and simply switch to using DHS and solve that problem
If your fielding the CM then you don't really need DHS.  That thing has a nearly heat perfect curve for long ranged fire.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #113 on: 05 November 2017, 22:42:19 »
I have nothing against C3 but I never bother to go through the trouble of building a lance around the C3 network to take full advantage of it.

...More Atlases?

There's a reason why the CM & Dr are 2 of my favorite versions  >:D

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 09 November 2017, 10:42:39 »
I think, you've got to use the Atlas as part of a team for it to be effective. As has been stated, it has its limitations but boy can it take a pounding and still walk away!

The joke is that an Orion is a poor man's Atlas or "half an Atlas," but that's sort of backward.  My experience with Orions rarely has them front and center, racking up huge kills being epic.  But they do set records for assists.  Atlases, at least those that follow the 7-D's pattern are similarly well suited to being the "wingman" of the lance.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #115 on: 17 April 2018, 00:52:04 »
The Atlas in 3025 is Iconic...not the greatest but...not to be ignored. Its on the "crate" (gamebox 8-] ).
Good to see its not forgot, still have a few Plastech versions rattling around in my game box just in
case...!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 17 April 2018, 13:39:34 »
True, in the early days of the game, the Atlas was often one of the FIRST and most easily recongized mechs..

Darkwing

• Corporal
« Reply #117 on: 17 April 2018, 16:51:42 »
I think it is fair to say until the Mad Cat came along the Atlas was the most recognizable mech that was not a part of the unseen issues. It was an icon that served FASA.
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 18 April 2018, 15:18:02 »
IMHO it's more iconic than the Mad Cat - there's at least half a dozen mechs similar to the MC, but there's not much you can mistake for an Atlas!

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 09 May 2020, 01:48:32 »
The AC/5 is never an efficient weapon, but there are mechs that use it reasonably well. Zeus, Trebuchet -7K, maybe even the super-bug known as the Clint.

A new mech variant from Record Sheets Succession Wars, the Atlas AS7-A is not one of those mechs.

MUL states it was introduced in 2954, around the middle of SW3. The naming is a bit weird, neither incrementing the number (Although only one Atlas ever does that) or switching the letter to a house designation. It does share the letter with a Zeus variant introduced in the same book, so there might be a connection. A Defiance Industries special series that focused on a specific weapon? We may or may not ever find out.

Regardless, it really changes the Atlas formula of one big gun with a number of support weapons. The monster AC/20 is changed to a plinking AC/5, and the LRM 20 is dropped to a ten rack with half the ammo. Overall long range firepower doesn’t really drop, and twenty shots of autocannon ammo does give you somewhat more longevity to at least one of your long range tokens.

The weight saved by downgrading the two big guns on a classic Atlas are plowed into SRM tubes. Lots of them, giving it something in common with the Zeus -6A. Thirty SRM is a lot of firepower, no matter how you look at it. With four tons of ammo, you even have a couple turns more fire than the old AC/20 did. However...

Heat management is less than perfect. It has the old Atlas heat sinks (And thick hide, to it’s benefit) While those let the classic Atlas run almost iced over, the new boy in town runs hot at short range but doesn’t use more than a fraction of that capacity at long.

It’s about a hundred points cheaper than the classic Atlas, and certainly a viable combatant even without a hole-puncher. However, it took me at most fifteen seconds to come up with the obvious upgrade. I’m sure somebody will mention it within five posts.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2020, 02:10:07 by Greatclub »