Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: AS*-* Atlas  (Read 56121 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: AS*-* Atlas
« on: 23 March 2014, 01:56:58 »
’Mech of the Week: AS*-* Atlas

Atlas. One of the great Titans of Greek mythos, sentenced upon their fall to hold up the heavens. One whose name influenced that of an ocean (Atlantic) and a mythical continent (Atlantis). The mountain range where he is said to have held the sky up named in his honor. And because of a version where he holds up the world, the name of a book of maps. And whose name graces the monstrous 100-ton BattleMech.

Though, I have heard a rumor that the ’Mech was named after a much closer contemporary general, I can find no place where that inference came from. Besides, it sounds much better to be named for a Titan.

The Atlas was, in part, created as a result of the rearmaments of the House Lords in the waning days of the Star League. General Aleksandr Kerensky ordered “a ’Mech as powerful as possible, as impenetrable as possible, and as ugly and foreboding as conceivable, so that fear itself will be our ally.” The signature Death’s Head scowl itself took a full year to perfect.

Finally arriving in 2755, the AS7-D Atlas is built around a 300-rated Vlar engine, giving the machine the iconic speed that was shared by the later Dire Wolf and Imp. Nineteen tons of armor three points off of maximum protection, in a 9, 47/14, 32/10, 34, 41 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs). The weapons-load starts with the unique 20-shot LRM launcher in the left torso. Unique as it actually has five tubes, and rapid fires four times in succession for the full output. The Class-20 autocannon in the right torso is also special, though in this case it’s for the missing cooling jacket. A 6-pack SRM in the left torso, and four medium lasers (one in each arm and two rear-mounted in the centerline) round out the weapons. One ton of SRM ammunition, two of LRM, and two for the Class-20 are your supply. Twenty heat sinks provide somewhat adequate heat dissipation.

One quirk in the original write-up is that the author states there are designs that are taller and heavier. Depending on the files that man had, the only design heavier I can think of is Amaris’s Folly.

A commander’s version. the AS7-D-DC, showed up in 2776, swapping the two rear-firing lasers and one ton of LRM ammunition to add a dual cockpit/command console. Then the Exodus came. Most of the SLDF’s Atlases were left behind. This is stated to be because two-thirds of the pilots who refused the call were Atlas pilots. There is also the additional detail of the Atlas II, the Royal variant, having arrived back in 2765, so the more loyal members of the SLDF probably got them and went on the Exodus.

As the Succession Wars got into full fervor, parts for the Atlas started to run low in certain areas (even though the production sites include places like Hesperus, which until the Jihad had never fallen to an enemy). In order to deal with this problem, some tried to tinker with the design. First showing up in 2892, the AS7-RS variant downgrades the SRM to a 4-rack, the autocannon to a Class-10, and the LRM to a 15-pack (retaining the same tonnage of ammunition) and removed the rear-firing lasers to upgrade the arm lasers to larges. This design at least has better mid-range firepower.

First arriving on-screen in 3025 at the Battle of Galtor III is the personal Atlas of Warlord Grieg Samsonov. Designated AS7-WGS, this variant drops all weapons save the Class-20 autocannon, adds 6 heat sinks, and puts a Particle Cannon in each arm. This is probably my favorite of the “Introductory” level designs, as I like the PPC.

Warlord Samsonov soon went out and bit off more than he could chew by trying to destroy the Wolf’s Dragoons. I believe that ended with his head and body going separate ways. One of the outcomes of his actions, however was the Dragoons and House Kurita facing off on Misery. There, we catch a glimpse of Captain Danielle Rodema’s modified AS7-D. This variant drops the SRM rack, moves the rear-firing lasers to the arms, and adds two more medium lasers, making it three in each arm. Two heat sinks were also added.

As Star League Tech was rediscovered and spread throughout the Inner Sphere, it was only a matter of time before the Atlas would get its fair share. In 3049, the AS7-K variant marched out to join the armies of the Draconis Combine. The engine was upgraded to an extralight version. The Class-20 autocannon was swapped for a Gauss Rifle. The SRM pack was removed, the arm lasers upgraded to extended-model large models, with the rear-firing ones turned into pulse variants. An anti-missile system was placed in the left arm, with one ton of ammunition stored in the left torso. Each side torso is also CASEd.

A command variant, designated the AS7-K-DC, uses a command console in place of a ton of LRM ammo and one medium pulse laser. Two field-refit variants showed up in 3050. The AS7-C drops a medium pulse for one heat sink and a C3 Slave unit. The AS7-CM, instead drops the left arm large laser for a C3 Master.

Defiance put out their upgraded variant at the same time. The AS7-S takes the original, swaps the heat sinks for fifteen double-strength versions, adds a ton of Class-20 ammo, and adds two rear-firing 2-pack Streak launchers in the left torso. The single ton of ammo for the Streaks is placed in the left leg.

This is also around the time that the Inner Sphere got to see what the Clans did to their few Atlases. First appearing for Twycross, and later Tukayyid, the Atlas C takes an AS7-D and upgrades the Class-20 autocannon to a Clantech Ultra variant, the SRM pack to a Clantech Streak variant, and the LRM rack to a Clan version.

The next variant did not arrive until 3061, the AS7-S2, and is thanks to the Lyran big gun-fetish. What better machine to try out their newly acquired (stolen) light fusion engine? Or more importantly the Heavy Gauss Rifle. This required the removal of the Class-20 autocannon, the SRM packs, and the centerline medium lasers. The arm-mounted lasers were upgraded to extended-model large versions. Finally the LRM rack was downgraded to a 15-shot version, but given Artemis IV fire-control and the side torsos were CASEd. Four tons of ammunition feed the big gun. A Guardian ECM suite gives added protection.

The AS7-S3 model arrived the following year, and instead uses a standard Gauss rifle, using the weight savings to trade the arm lasers for Particle Cannons with underslung small lasers, a head-mounted small laser, and an anti-missile system. Two heat sinks were also removed.

The fires of the Jihad hit and the Atlas was forced to undergo changes. First, all of the production sites for the Atlas were captured by the Word of Blake (Al Na’ir, Quentin, Hesperus II). Second, such wars cause innovation. The first small steps were made in 3070, with the AS7-Dr. A refit of the original, this one swaps the big gun for a Heavy-class Particle Cannon, a Guardian ECM suite and a C3 Slave. The SRM pack is upgraded to a Streak version. Finally, two heat sinks were added.

3074 saw the first combat of the AS8-D model during the Battles of New Avalon. Notably by picking up a Thorn and chucking it into a Grand Crusader… who promptly fell off a cliff. Mounting fourteen double heat sinks and triple-strength myomer, the weapons-load consists of a Class-5 Rotary autocannon with three tons of ammo, two Light-class Particle Cannons, one Snub-Nose Particle Cannon, two 9-pack MMLs, with two tons of ammo, an extended-model small laser, and two standard small lasers.

In 3079, an outfit in the Periphery created the AS7-00 Jurn model. Extremely experimental, the design mounts two Light-class Particle Cannons, a Snub-Nose Particle Cannon, a Class-15 Thunderbolt launcher, a Class-10 Hyper-Velocity autocannon, a Beagle active probe and two remote sensor dispensers. Sixteen double heat sinks deal with the heat output, and the design has an armored command console.

Because of the loss of Hesperus II, Defiance’s engineers decided to rework the Atlas into a new form. Finally entering full production in 3082, the AS7-K2 uses ferro-fibrous armor, changing the look from a walking avatar of Death into… a football player. Additionally, the armor has actually decreased to a 9, 42/14, 31/10, 33, 41 pattern. The engine is now a 400-rated extralight model, giving the design ground speed comparable to the Clan Scylla. Ten double heat sinks struggle with the output. Weapons consist of a Gauss Rifle, two 6-pack Streak launchers, two extended-model large lasers, and a Guardian ECM suite. The ammunition is in the CASEd right torso. A variant, the AS7-K3 showed up in 3083, dropping one Streak launcher, and downgrading the second to a 4-pack to add three jump jets and a ton of armor, bringing protection up to maximum (9, 46/16, 32/10, 34, 42).

Sometime between 3085 and the Blackout, the AS7-K4 variant entered service. This model uses twin ER PPCs, twin 6-pack SRM launchers, and a Class-5 Rotary autocannon. A Guardian ECM is placed in the center torso. Three heat sinks are also added.

The final variant (so far) is the AS7-K2 piloted by Jedra Kean, self-styled Lord of Vega. Built, in part, with help of undercover Kuritan agents, his Atlas uses twin Light Gauss Rifles, five extended-model medium lasers, and twin 4-pack SRM launchers. Twelve double heat sinks deal somewhat with the heat output. His dreams of power were soon shattered by the Ghost Bears.

Using one starts with taking stock of your variant. Some variants are great at sitting back and shelling the crap out of advancing foes. Others, like the iconic AS7-D have an issue with range. As intimidating as that machine is said to be, someone had to realize it has only one weapon with a range beyond 9 hexes, and that’s an LRM rack. In comparison, the slightly lighter BNC-3S Banshee has two PPCs and a Class-10 autocannon. And then there is the aptly named Awesome. And though some later variants do take care of this, the proliferation of other designs does not help the situation.

Wading into the enemy is also a valid tactic (and one I tend to use with many designs). If you can avoid the lucky shots, you probably will last long enough to put the fear of Death in the enemy. That said, you are also likely to get a lot of attention. Keep an eye on your heat dial, as most of these variants have heat issues.

Fighting one starts with getting your heavy hitters ready. Give him as much attention as you think he deserves. Gauss Rifles, Particle Cannons, and other means of removing his head should always be used (considering how often any Atlas loses it in the games I play…) Thing is, any friends he has should also get due consideration. Especially if you know that Atlas has a Slave installed. (Conversely, if you think he’s the -CM, target that arm.) Which reminds me. Lots of explosive ammo to deal with. If you have the will and the skill, targeting the side torsos can prove very useful.

I must say the Atlas has never really impressed me. Might be because every time I see one on the board it dies from losing its head or an ammo explosion or like when I went through Tukayyid by critting Focht’s Gauss Rifle. Might be because my first game that I can remember someone handed me a Berserker, which suited my thought process better.

Two descendants of this design have been seen. The Atlas II, which was the Star League Royal upgrade, and the Atlas III, the newer Davion creation which looks alternatively like the Terminator or Jason with a minigun. As for the original, it should continue to soldier on long into the future. At least, up until some new faction or event comes along that turns the Inner Sphere and the Homeworlds in to dead worlds.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2014, 16:22:07 by Kotetsu »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: ’Mech of the Week: AS*-* Atlas
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2014, 02:03:04 »
Interesting note, regarding the name.  The inventor of Myomer fibers was one Gregory Atlas.  Potentially an inspiration, given that without his handiwork the Atlas would be impossible.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2014, 04:37:00 »
The AS7-K4 sounds like someone mixed up the files for the Thug and the Marauder. And what looks nasty then an Atlas? An Atlas that shoots lasers from it's eyes. Yes, I built an Atlas like that

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2014, 11:40:40 »
Kotetsu, that was spiffy article.  You did leave out a design however, the AS7-D-DC.  It showed up during the Star League era, was printed in Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged.   It has experimental technology, with inclusion of a Command Console and minus two rear firing Medium Lasers.  It truly make the machine a command Mech for its era.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2014, 12:29:12 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2014, 12:20:39 »
I used to hold nothing but contempt for many of the Atlas' out there, but one game my force got absolutely and positively dismantled by an Altas -K2. It just wouldn't. Stop. Coming. All of its shots landed where they would do the most damage, and it was always where it'd be the biggest pain to deal with.

The objective, logical side of me still thinks it's not that great a 'Mech, but nowadays the irrational side of me always wants to gun down that goof-faced monstrosity the moment I see it.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2014, 12:30:28 »
I've used the Atlas and it hasn't been all that.  Granted, primarily 3025 era games, but the slow speed combined with only one weapon with greater than 9 hex range means that it isn't very useful.  Really, I prefer the Hunchback to the Atlas.  Both work as area denial, just the Hunchback is cheaper.

Granted, I like mobile combat rather than just smashing in so that might have something to do with it. 

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2014, 12:47:49 »
Kotetsu, that was spiffy article.  You did leave out a design however, the AS7-D-DC.  It showed up during the Star League era, was printed in Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged.   It has experimental technology, with inclusion of a Command Console and minus two rear firing Medium Lasers.  It truly make the machine a command Mech for its era.

Actually, it's there. Forgot to put the designation in that paragraph... Fixing now.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2014, 13:55:15 »
I think the Atlas has some issues because of the typical 'show up on a random map and fight to the death' combats that permeate BattleTech games. It becomes a lot more powerful when the enemy has to defend their objective or, even worse, come take yours. It's not an Excalibur or Falconer, but those 'Mechs do their job, the Atlas does a different one.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2014, 14:02:08 »
The Atlas's purpose is to say "I want that thing over there" and then go get it, regardless of what the enemy does about it.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2014, 14:22:12 »
I've always seen the Atlas as something you use when you want to yell "You shall not pass!!"

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2014, 14:25:55 »
That too.  If you're not attacking or defending a (relatively) immobile position with the Atlas then "you're doing it wrong"<tm>

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2014, 15:13:47 »
I used to hold nothing but contempt for many of the Atlas' out there, but one game my force got absolutely and positively dismantled by an Altas -K2. It just wouldn't. Stop. Coming. All of its shots landed where they would do the most damage, and it was always where it'd be the biggest pain to deal with.

Hmm..  I have never had that bad luck with Atlas's as some like you seem, so don't hold them in contempt cause of that.  Of the main stays of the Atlas family the Original, the 7-k are my usual go to's..  Though if the DM is allowing 'changes out of gear' i often like stripping the SRM-6 down to a streak 4 pack, knocking the LRM down to a 15 with artemis, switching up to double heats and using the tonnage saved to put on something like a PPC or ER large laser for added ranged weapons.  Rarely have they fallen to a 'quick head or CT crit', and only 2 iirc have been destroyed due to ammo explosions.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2014, 15:30:46 »
Hmm..  I have never had that bad luck with Atlas's as some like you seem, so don't hold them in contempt cause of that.  Of the main stays of the Atlas family the Original, the 7-k are my usual go to's..  Though if the DM is allowing 'changes out of gear' i often like stripping the SRM-6 down to a streak 4 pack, knocking the LRM down to a 15 with artemis, switching up to double heats and using the tonnage saved to put on something like a PPC or ER large laser for added ranged weapons.  Rarely have they fallen to a 'quick head or CT crit', and only 2 iirc have been destroyed due to ammo explosions.
This, the only thing that really hampers the 7-K is the lack of DHS. Once you stopping wasting space on SHS, have have more room to make the Atlas a true monster.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2014, 15:57:59 »
I have two variants that I especially like:
  • AS7-RS Atlas
    - in 3025 games
    - it cures the greatest flaw of standard Atlas - very short range
  • AS7-S3 Atlas
    - in 3050+ games
    - it packs serious firepower
    - it's a variant from PC game and I like those 'Mechs from MechWarrior and MechCommander games
    - it sports pulse laser in its eye socket ...

What's not to like here?   ;)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2014, 16:10:56 »
  • AS7-RS Atlas
    - in 3025 games
    - it cures the greatest flaw of standard Atlas - very short range
My favourite way of fixing that? Drop the LRM-20 for 2 LL and two SHS, then lug around a Handheld Weapon with a LRM-15 in it, no loss of short range firepower, you gain medium range firepower and a minor loss of long range firepower.
  • AS7-S3 Atlas
    - in 3050+ games
    - it's a variant from PC game and I like those 'Mechs from MechWarrior and MechCommander games

Do I need to repeat my mentioning about the design I came up with with twin ER LL's for eyes?[/list]

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2014, 16:53:48 »
That too.  If you're not attacking or defending a (relatively) immobile position with the Atlas then "you're doing it wrong"<tm>

the Atlas is a great addition to the Lyran "wall of steel".. some Atlas's operating as a (semi) mobile fortification, with Zeus's (zeusii?) on the flanks and Commando's and hatchetmen for skirmishers would be a tough nut to crack.

I've used the Atlas and it hasn't been all that.  Granted, primarily 3025 era games, but the slow speed combined with only one weapon with greater than 9 hex range means that it isn't very useful.  Really, I prefer the Hunchback to the Atlas.  Both work as area denial, just the Hunchback is cheaper.
an LRM20 is nothing to sneeze at.. your looking at an average of 12 damage per salvo, in a 5/5/2 grouping, which is pretty good for 3025. plenty to cover itself as it closes.

the Atlas, like most assults, is an anvil. its job is not to run down the enemy, but rather to be the thing your more mobile forces crush enemies against.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2014, 16:58:53 by glitterboy2098 »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2014, 17:04:34 »
Or deploy it as a command mech, so that the Atlas itself is the "(relatively) immobile position".
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2014, 17:51:30 »
So many thoughts... I'll put a few, and hope that I don't get my thoughts picked apart for minor details this time.

+ Oh, the 7K... so close to perfection. Long-range monster, but the heat... oh, so far away. I love the idea to it- if you're going to be slow, be able to take a beating, and deliver one at long distances. An LRM rack, twin ER large, and a Gauss? That'll do. But there's not even range brackets to manage- it's always going to either have to leave out a weapon or two, or start glowing. Lame. As noted before, DHS would help this thing turn into a legend in stats the way that it is in reputation.

+ S2, now this I like. The heat is manageable, so the LRMs and large lasers can flash out and slap someone without any trouble. And as things get closer, that HGR starts opening huge holes. Life is good. Live is real good. I'm not usually a fan of Steiner's HGR conversions like the Stalker and Crusader, but this one was a winner. Hard to kill, difficult at any range to endure... very good Mech.

+ There may not be another 3025-era assault Mech that is quite as brutal to deal with as Samsonov's ride. Well done, sir- you turned the Atlas from a close-combat menace that can't quite get in range to use its weaponry most of the time into a true beast. Well done, sir!

+ The problem with the 7D, as I noted above, is the speed. The firepower is great- heavy cannon, SRM rack, lasers, etc., but... it's so slow that it can have trouble getting into range to use this stuff. If you're assaulting a fixed position, that's great- it's not going anywhere, right? Against something that can try to hold the distance though, even the days' heavy Mechs? An LRM-20 is a great weapon, but I'll gladly brave it to beat that Atlas up before it gets close enough to use the rest. Then again, that can be one of the charms to the Atlas in that era- do I beat up the monster before it gets close- and spend a lot of time and effort having to do so- or fight its friends?

+I want to like the K3, because the idea of a jumping Atlas makes me giggle. But I have a fundamental problem, still, with having two ER large lasers and yet not having the heat sinks to use them. Good idea, bad execution.

+8D, I can get behind this. I miss having something to open holes like a big hammerblow Gauss or something, but this is a good one, especially for anti-vehicle work. I approve.

+Jedra... looks like one I used to run in a long-ago campaign actually. In fact, almost identical. This pleases monkey.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2014, 18:02:36 »
+8D, I can get behind this. I miss having something to open holes like a big hammerblow Gauss or something, but this is a good one, especially for anti-vehicle work. I approve.

Well, it's got a couple of 20 point attacks. Or a 40 pointer.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2014, 22:04:03 »
The forgotten 7S to me seems like more of an upgrade of existing chassis, not a complete rebuild. Of course, IMHO, if you're going to mount rear weapons, it makes sense to be as accurate a possible (i.e. Streaks or Pulse).

Also, with the AC special munitions, it's got the ammo space to be use the half ammo loads on the 20 cannon.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2014, 22:14:21 »
Rear mounted weapons need to be either small enough to not detract from the main armament (small lasers, maybe medium lasers), or very accurate to deter high speed backstabbers (medium pulse).  Anything else is fairly wasted.  Streaks are efficient, yes, but they're not any more accurate than anything else.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 23 March 2014, 22:23:15 »

AS7-S3 Atlas
- in 3050+ games

Y'know, I'd never seen the AS7-S3 before now. Looks like it's a pretty solid direct fire support 'Mech, although the close-ranged firepower is pretty hilarious.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #22 on: 23 March 2014, 22:45:19 »
It always seemed to me that no one wanted to make a 'Super Atlas.' As in, 'Oh crap, that's an Atlas.' The kinda Atlas that would necessitate brown pants everywhere. This makes me sad.  :(

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #23 on: 23 March 2014, 23:02:11 »
It always seemed to me that no one wanted to make a 'Super Atlas.' As in, 'Oh crap, that's an Atlas.' The kinda Atlas that would necessitate brown pants everywhere. This makes me sad.  :(

My 2 cents (after tax and tip) on that is that the Atlas's loadout has tended to come across as a little bit of everything. Not enough missiles to make the enemy fight in the shade like Longbows or Salamanders, not enough gun like a King Crab or Thunder Hawk.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #24 on: 23 March 2014, 23:32:09 »
Jedra Kean was a man.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 24 March 2014, 03:08:27 »
One of the things I like about the Atlas is that an anonymous IP keeps editing the entry on the Wiki to amend the plural of Atlas to "Atlantes" while pointing out - in capitals, no less - that Atlas is a noun of the THIRD DECLENSION. 100 tons of theoretically terrifying 'Mech that attracts the attention of Latin or Greek-proficient pedants - that's a unique niche if ever there was one.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #26 on: 24 March 2014, 03:12:46 »
Anyone ever pitted the Atlas Samsonov against the Banshee-3S?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 24 March 2014, 03:38:17 »
Jedra Kean was a man.

Crap. Caught one of those, missed the other. Thanks.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #28 on: 24 March 2014, 04:25:11 »
One of the things I like about the Atlas is that an anonymous IP keeps editing the entry on the Wiki to amend the plural of Atlas to "Atlantes" while pointing out - in capitals, no less - that Atlas is a noun of the THIRD DECLENSION. 100 tons of theoretically terrifying 'Mech that attracts the attention of Latin or Greek-proficient pedants - that's a unique niche if ever there was one.

Hunh.  I always thought the plural of Atlas was "OH MY GOD THERE'S MORE THAN ONE OF THEM!!!"

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 24 March 2014, 05:01:46 »
I was always under the impression that the powerfully built Atlas, which debuted in ye olde TRO:3025 fom 1986, was named after Charles Atlas (either directly, for for being mentioned in a Rocky Horror Picture Show song), in the same fashion as the fast-running Jenner which debuted in the same book was apparently named after Bruce Jenner. We'll probably never know...

Btw, good article!
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins