Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 197123 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #30 on: 22 October 2014, 23:51:06 »
*eyes squint* I make of it you don't know the real name of the battlemech! Its a timberwolf!  ;)

Actually it's two words, Timber Wolf - Pedantic mode

The truth is that I habitually use the Inner Sphere codenames for Clan 'Mechs (with one or two exceptions) in discussion or the like. There's a number of reasons for this, not the least of which is that the writers follow the same pattern and use the Inner Sphere codenames as a primary designation. Plus if you look from an in-world perspective, the teeming untold billions of the Inner Sphere will call it a Mad Cat; it's only a teeeny tiny infentessimal minority who call it a Timber Wolf. Hell, the Sharks named the Mk II and III Mad Cat as the name had a higher degree of recongition.

Now if I was writing In Character as a Clan character, then I'd call a 'Mech by its Clan name. Hell, there's even a moment in a stillborn BC story concept where this is an issue.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2014, 00:20:47 »
Hell, the Sharks named the Mk II and III Mad Cat as the name had a higher degree of recongition.

The fact that the name markets better to ignorant spheroid barbarians does not exactly endorse its use amongst the honorable and enlightened.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2014, 00:22:43 »
I was honestly just playing. but since you feel so passionately i was curious  >:D Would you be willing to play a megamek game, If i lose I'll call the Mad dog and Timber Wolf by their inner sphere names for the rest of the year, if I win you have to refer to them for the rest of the year by their clan names  >:D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2014, 00:34:51 »
The fact that the name markets better to ignorant spheroid barbarians does not exactly endorse its use amongst the honorable and enlightened.

And yet they buy and use them anyway. Funny that

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2014, 12:32:14 »
And yet they buy and use them anyway. Funny that

seems to me i have seen far more of the clan characters referring to the Mark IV as the "Savage Wolf" than mad cat. got me cornered on the makr II and III I guess, but I always thought that was really dumb.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #35 on: 23 October 2014, 17:27:40 »
seems to me i have seen far more of the clan characters referring to the Mark IV as the "Savage Wolf" than mad cat. got me cornered on the makr II and III I guess, but I always thought that was really dumb.

And I suspect that if the Foxes hadn't given it the Savage Wolf name and just called it a Mad Cat Mk IV full stop, the Clans would have bought it anyway.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #36 on: 23 October 2014, 19:52:10 »
I tend to use the Clan names because I am on these forums a lot.  My brother tends to use the Inner Sphere Names because those are the ones he remembers.  It makes conversations a little jumpy at times.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 23 October 2014, 20:07:30 »
Actually it's two words, Timber Wolf - Pedantic mode

The truth is that I habitually use the Inner Sphere codenames for Clan 'Mechs (with one or two exceptions) in discussion or the like. There's a number of reasons for this, not the least of which is that the writers follow the same pattern and use the Inner Sphere codenames as a primary designation. Plus if you look from an in-world perspective, the teeming untold billions of the Inner Sphere will call it a Mad Cat; it's only a teeeny tiny infentessimal minority who call it a Timber Wolf. Hell, the Sharks named the Mk II and III Mad Cat as the name had a higher degree of recongition.

Now if I was writing In Character as a Clan character, then I'd call a 'Mech by its Clan name. Hell, there's even a moment in a stillborn BC story concept where this is an issue.

This may be true elsewhere, but this right here is Clan space so you will call it by its proper name. ;)

And I suspect that if the Foxes hadn't given it the Savage Wolf name and just called it a Mad Cat Mk IV full stop, the Clans would have bought it anyway.

Given how much IS junk most of the IS Clans are using at this point, I think they could have called it "Clan Wolverine will rise again" and still sold it to most of the other Clans for the simple reason that it is Clan tech. ;D

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #38 on: 23 October 2014, 20:22:17 »
The clans will rise again!!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 23 October 2014, 21:23:17 »
This may be true elsewhere, but this right here is Clan space so you will call it by its proper name. ;)

No, right here is a message board in an OOC discussion thread. There's no board rule saying that I have to refer to any 'Mech by its Clan name.

Now if that were to change and the mods made it a hard rule (and in doing such took leave of all sense), then yes, I would use the Clan names. But since they haven't and I don't need to, then I won't.

Don't get me wrong. If you want to call Clan 'Mechs by their real names, then that's cool with me. But don't expect everyone to do the same.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2014, 23:01:01 by Deadborder »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #40 on: 24 October 2014, 06:36:17 »
Considering how many people insist on calling a certain mech the Ebon Jaguar because it's the 'proper name', even though the fluff says that almost everyone but the Jag's called it the Cauldron Born...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 24 October 2014, 09:49:17 »
The Cauldron Born is one of the few Clan mechs I call be the Inner Sphere name. One because it sounds much better than the Ebon Jaguar and two because then I don't have to be reminded about Clan Smoked Jaguar every time I see the mech :)

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #42 on: 25 October 2014, 12:54:51 »
Afternoon fellow bears!  I have been tinkering with a map making program I have by adding in the info concerning the planet Bearclaw, our former capital.

This is what I got so far...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 25 October 2014, 13:23:39 »
No, right here is a message board in an OOC discussion thread. There's no board rule saying that I have to refer to any 'Mech by its Clan name.

Now if that were to change and the mods made it a hard rule (and in doing such took leave of all sense), then yes, I would use the Clan names. But since they haven't and I don't need to, then I won't.

Don't get me wrong. If you want to call Clan 'Mechs by their real names, then that's cool with me. But don't expect everyone to do the same.

And as long as you hang out in the Clan threads, you should really expect to be harassed for it on a semi-regular basis. ;D

Afternoon fellow bears!  I have been tinkering with a map making program I have by adding in the info concerning the planet Bearclaw, our former capital.

This is what I got so far...

Very nice, although the cloud cover makes it kind of hard to see some parts of the map.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #44 on: 25 October 2014, 18:01:26 »
And as long as you hang out in the Clan threads, you should really expect to be harassed for it on a semi-regular basis. ;D

Why? Again, I'm not breaking any forums rules. I can call the 'Mechs what I like in these threads, and certainly I don't need to call them by their Clan names if I don't want to.

So no, harassing people about it, even if it's supposedly funny or joking, is not cool either.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 25 October 2014, 21:23:52 »
Why?

Because this is where the most fanatic Clan players spend most of their time and this board is dedicated to the Clans which makes more vocal Clan enthusiasm expected.  That includes Clan speech quirks like not using contractions (bad Tyler Jorgensson ;)), Clan terminology, and Clan names in addition to making Clan-centric jokes and other partially in-character behavior.  No it is not a fully in-character board and there are no rules to that effect in place, but part of enthusiasm is presenting yourself more like a citizen of the Clans than you normally would elsewhere (although there are a few nutcases around here that will use Clan speech patterns in totally inappropriate places like at work ;D).

Again, I'm not breaking any forums rules. I can call the 'Mechs what I like in these threads, and certainly I don't need to call them by their Clan names if I don't want to.

So no, harassing people about it, even if it's supposedly funny or joking, is not cool either.

Dude, chill.  There is absolutely no reason to get worked up over this.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #46 on: 25 October 2014, 22:34:07 »
Dude, chill.  There is absolutely no reason to get worked up over this.

Then stop jumping down my throat about using the Clan names, and stop "joking" about harassing people who don't. It's not funny.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 25 October 2014, 23:01:31 »
Woot shout out!

Yeah I guess their is a reason I Made a terrible Khan way back in the day... But seriously guys sit down grab a beer or too and talk about how we are the best Clan ever....

Nice map: agree about the clouds.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #48 on: 28 October 2014, 21:03:44 »
That map is awesome!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #49 on: 06 November 2014, 00:40:03 »
Had a lot of fun with the Executioner tonight! seems like this beast can do no wrong and barely takes a scratch. Every time i whomp something with one i feel a pang of regret for ignoring it for a decade, the NTNU variants are sick.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #50 on: 06 November 2014, 00:49:06 »
I tried using the NTNU Gladiator once. I managed to blow both the MASC and the Supercharger very early.

Awesome.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #51 on: 06 November 2014, 02:13:14 »
I tried using the NTNU Gladiator once. I managed to blow both the MASC and the Supercharger very early.

Awesome.

I must have better luck with the Executioner then. I use it on the reg to beat up on Dire wolfs.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 06 November 2014, 02:15:18 »
Maybe it'd treat you better if you referred to it as an Executioner  ;)

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #53 on: 06 November 2014, 02:24:14 »
guys, come on. This is supposed to be a happy thread. Let us not bicker and argue over who killed who named what.

So what is your Dire Wolf killing secret? Always run behind them?
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #54 on: 06 November 2014, 02:29:28 »
TRO3050U p142
Due more to the exceptional bond these warriors developed than any stellar weapons loadout,

Possibly the truest thing I have read in any TRO. It is a 'Mech you either learn to love and never drive a 3/5 assault again, or its an incomprehensible aberration.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #55 on: 06 November 2014, 02:48:02 »
guys, come on. This is supposed to be a happy thread. Let us not bicker and argue over who killed who named what.

So what is your Dire Wolf killing secret? Always run behind them?

With the I my strategy is to basically keep the range while generating a high to hit number with the Masc and super charger, whittling them down. If i see i can move behind them i go for it! with the twin Streak 6/HLL variant, i try my best to get behind them and ruin their day. Against another assault this is easier done than said it turns out.

And luck, loooots of luck  >:D

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #56 on: 06 November 2014, 02:50:49 »
TRO3050U p142
Possibly the truest thing I have read in any TRO. It is a 'Mech you either learn to love and never drive a 3/5 assault again, or its an incomprehensible aberration.

This was me for a decade, now i have a hard time piloting any other assault mech!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #57 on: 06 November 2014, 09:26:05 »
Has any Trothkin here tried out the Super-Grizzly aka the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bruin yet?  Seeing as its one of the newest machines to walk out of Alshain i'm wondering about peoples thoughts on it.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 06 November 2014, 16:18:11 »
Has any Trothkin here tried out the Super-Grizzly aka the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bruin yet?  Seeing as its one of the newest machines to walk out of Alshain i'm wondering about peoples thoughts on it.

Nope I haven't. I was always confused by the Sarna article anyways. The first is clearly stated yet under the variants I'm not sure about the load out (and I don't have the TRO's to check either!). Does it have 5 LRG Pulse lasers, 1 Ultra AC-5, Two MG's. 1 SRM 2, 2 Streak SRM 4's, and an LRM 10?

And I've asked this question before and every time I forget the answer!!!

However in that regard: I like the mech, both variants, as an upgrade to the Grizzly. It's bigger, just as mobile, and fits sorta the same role in second-line forces, all built in the new home of the Inner Sphere.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #59 on: 07 November 2014, 18:47:12 »

The bruin runs pretty much like a big grizzly, which for me means its fun. Plus i think its one of the most striking assaults out there!

The variant has 2 LPL,2 Ultra AC5s,6 machineguns (put those on burst baby!) and a srm2.

Register