Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire : Plus Ultra  (Read 197386 times)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
Re: Bienvenidos al Imperio del Escorpión II : Necrosia Boogaloo
« Reply #60 on: 17 November 2014, 08:12:12 »
The JumpShip relays. I forgot about that. Though ground-based generators will be hard to fit into the Imperio's busy construction schedule.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #61 on: 17 November 2014, 08:19:13 »
The JumpShip relays. I forgot about that. Though ground-based generators will be hard to fit into the Imperio's busy construction schedule.

Or maybe they have Black Box technology.  It was a Star League research project originally, was it not?  Seekers may have found or preserved it.  We have no evidence whatsoever regarding it, but it could happen perhaps.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 17 November 2014, 08:42:10 »
Fluff was pretty clear on Black Box. They canned it thoroughly and the only reason the technology came back was due to the unaccounted units from the NBC attack at Taran's World during the Reunification War. Kerensky's latter SLDF would, at best, only have research data and schematics.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #63 on: 17 November 2014, 08:58:06 »
What Drew said.

Actually, I wonder how long—if at all—it would take to get a proper HPG setup? Not like it really matters. The Imperio is small enough that mobile HPGs are probably the best way to go about communicating.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 17 November 2014, 16:45:07 »
Assuming they had enough for all the Imperio planets, while mobile HPGs might be sufficient for the defense of the Imperio, they would likely be hard pressed to meet the more mundane tasks of coordinating the administration of the Imperio.  After all they weren't designed to permanently replace planetside HPGs.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #65 on: 17 November 2014, 17:17:48 »
Thanks, my knowledge banks were unclear about the Black Boxes.

But as for the HPG network, it was the pride of the SL.  It would be a dreadfully bitter irony if the Scorps could not replicate the technology.

Upside is this lack of reliable communication networks between planetary systems does a lot for the Imperio's Mad Max factor.  And if something is going on with the Home Clans, it will be a surprise to anyone who has not physically sent their agents to ascertain the situation, provided the Scorps also cannot get word out by ship.

In the Imperio, only the feral Goliath Scorpions can hear you scream - and then it's not "hearing" per se, as sounds such as a scream or sobbing are transmitted through vibrations to their lateral nerves that trigger the hunting/feeding response.    So whatever you do, don't scream.  ;D
« Last Edit: 17 November 2014, 17:19:21 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #66 on: 17 November 2014, 19:07:29 »
After all they weren't designed to permanently replace planetside HPGs.

I don't think that's true at all.

A mobile HPG is just a mobile HPG. Meaning, it's still an HPG. So what you're really talking about is the HPG's use and where it's placed. Planetary HPGs were placed in static positions because it simplified aligning the arrays and scheduling incoming and outgoing HPG bursts (as well as protecting civilian infrastructure from those pesky EMPs).

We can do the same thing thing with a mobile HPG. Just stop moving the HPG around and slap a building around it (making sure it deals with those funny little EMPs), and your mobile HPG becomes a static HPG at a significantly reduced weight.   

Since the Imperio didn't use HPGs before the Scorpions arrived, it's a safe bet their use is still limited to the Scorpions and therefore unlikely to swamp the available units—assuming the Scorps have one for each planet and they weren't made available to the general populace—which you mentioned. However, a mobile HPG is just as capable of coordinating the communication of an entire planet as the traditional static HPG. In this scenario we're just talking about a reverse usage of a technology that was designed to compliment the original HPG type. 

BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 17 November 2014, 23:01:42 »
A mobile HPG is just a mobile HPG. Meaning, it's still an HPG. So what you're really talking about is the HPG's use and where it's placed. Planetary HPGs were placed in static positions because it simplified aligning the arrays and scheduling incoming and outgoing HPG bursts (as well as protecting civilian infrastructure from those pesky EMPs).

We can do the same thing thing with a mobile HPG. Just stop moving the HPG around and slap a building around it (making sure it deals with those funny little EMPs), and your mobile HPG becomes a static HPG at a significantly reduced weight.   

Since the Imperio didn't use HPGs before the Scorpions arrived, it's a safe bet their use is still limited to the Scorpions and therefore unlikely to swamp the available units—assuming the Scorps have one for each planet and they weren't made available to the general populace—which you mentioned. However, a mobile HPG is just as capable of coordinating the communication of an entire planet as the traditional static HPG. In this scenario we're just talking about a reverse usage of a technology that was designed to compliment the original HPG type.

No what I am talking about is what it is capable of handling (in terms of volume).  While on the military side, the Clans had things more or less streamlined, there was still a huge bureaucratic nightmare going on behind the scenes that was needed to not only keep their respective toumans running smoothly but to ensure that the lower castes ran smoothly as well.  Much of this was delegated to the lower castes which required access to the HPG network to coordinate all the minutiae.

As you state, mobile HPGs were designed to "complement" the existing HPG network by providing access to the HPG network in locations that normally would not have any access, they were not designed to replace it.  Laptops can be used to remotely access company servers and can perform most of the same functions as a server, but can it be used to replace the company server?  Not likely.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #68 on: 18 November 2014, 03:30:09 »
I would say you are both right. Military traffic is going to be much less that what an entire planet needs for commercial and personal correspondence. That being said, the portables could do the job, though one would expect delays.

I would imagine they set up a portable network as soon as they have established control, and then start building permanent stations. Perhaps, if they are still in existence by the dark age, they have a complete network all set up.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 18 November 2014, 04:45:25 »
I would imagine they set up a portable network as soon as they have established control, and then start building permanent stations. Perhaps, if they are still in existence by the dark age, they have a complete network all set up.

The only issue there is whether they even have the resources and technical skills to build the infrastructure needed to build and maintain an HPG network especially given all their other industrial needs.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 18 November 2014, 07:18:14 »
Thanks, my knowledge banks were unclear about the Black Boxes.

But as for the HPG network, it was the pride of the SL.  It would be a dreadfully bitter irony if the Scorps could not replicate the technology.

Upside is this lack of reliable communication networks between planetary systems does a lot for the Imperio's Mad Max factor.  And if something is going on with the Home Clans, it will be a surprise to anyone who has not physically sent their agents to ascertain the situation, provided the Scorps also cannot get word out by ship.

In the Imperio, only the feral Goliath Scorpions can hear you scream - and then it's not "hearing" per se, as sounds such as a scream or sobbing are transmitted through vibrations to their lateral nerves that trigger the hunting/feeding response.    So whatever you do, don't scream.  ;D

It's not that the Scorps can't build the HPGs. It's more like how are they going to cram the construction of HPGs into an already overloaded construction schedule that is sure to prioritize the building of factories and shipyards. HPGs would not be high priority because the Imperio's small size means the Scorps can make do with pony expresses in the initial decade.

HPGs should only be built once the Scorps have fully integrated the local populace. Otherwise the dissidents and rebel cells will use the open generosity of HPGs to coordinate terror attacks across the Imperio, setting back the entire expansion and consolidation to square one.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 18 November 2014, 07:58:10 »
It's not that the Scorps can't build the HPGs. It's more like how are they going to cram the construction of HPGs into an already overloaded construction schedule that is sure to prioritize the building of factories and shipyards. HPGs would not be high priority because the Imperio's small size means the Scorps can make do with pony expresses in the initial decade.

Exactly.

HPGs should only be built once the Scorps have fully integrated the local populace. Otherwise the dissidents and rebel cells will use the open generosity of HPGs to coordinate terror attacks across the Imperio, setting back the entire expansion and consolidation to square one.

That is assuming that the Imperio doesn't restrict access/usage to their HPG network to the warrior caste and official messages. Unlike many Inner Sphere worlds, the Imperio isn't likely to have a planetwide network that can link into the HPG network.  Not to mention the trouble of first finding out who you could trust to coordinate with in the first place and the Watch likely monitoring all communications for signs of insurgents, HW Watch agents and even Society cells (the Blakists are not likely to have provided them with courses on Communications 501: How to safely pass encoded communications between resistance cells).

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 18 November 2014, 08:07:44 »
I still think the Scorps don't have that much bad blood with the Society to care about their remnants now.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #73 on: 18 November 2014, 08:48:04 »

:)  Don't get that far ahead.  That would be why they can't replicate the network.  Because technology requires many iterations for them to be able to produce HPG components in the first place.  And they lack the industrial base to produce many things that are of even higher priority, such as OmniMechs and other military equipment.

So it would be an ironic shame if they could not build an HPG network in the Imperio.  Their conflicts with their own populations are one problem that gets in the way, and the Home Clans are another, stirring up the population with their Watch operations, and the raids that are sure to come. 

I still think the Scorps don't have that much bad blood with the Society to care about their remnants now.

Agreed, I suspect it might be the opposite.  Any society scientists might be protected.  The knowledge they possess is of far greater importance and value to the Scorps than empty Clan ideology.

If the Imperio has any hope of taking off successfully, a major part of it will be because they take care of their scientists well, and their scientists in turn take care of them.  The Society may have got the Scorps into tro0uble, but I don't think the Scorps like being told how to run their sociopolitical body anymore.  They aren't Clan anymore, not in the old sense anyway. 

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 18 November 2014, 08:57:45 »
:)  Don't get that far ahead.  That would be why they can't replicate the network.  Because technology requires many iterations for them to be able to produce HPG components in the first place.  And they lack the industrial base to produce many things that are of even higher priority, such as OmniMechs and other military equipment.

So it would be an ironic shame if they could not build an HPG network in the Imperio.  Their conflicts with their own populations are one problem that gets in the way, and the Home Clans are another, stirring up the population with their Watch operations, and the raids that are sure to come. 

Luckily, they still know how to build all these. Their situation is the opposite of the Inner Sphere.

Agreed, I suspect it might be the opposite.  Any society scientists might be protected.  The knowledge they possess is of far greater importance and value to the Scorps than empty Clan ideology.

If the Imperio has any hope of taking off successfully, a major part of it will be because they take care of their scientists well, and their scientists in turn take care of them.  The Society may have got the Scorps into tro0uble, but I don't think the Scorps like being told how to run their sociopolitical body anymore.  They aren't Clan anymore, not in the old sense anyway. 

I didn't want to be accused of wishful thinking, but I agree with you hehe. If you read between the lines of certain Scorp-Society incidents in the book, they seem to be the only Clan that didn't support the Society but "somehow" came off better than others. I even hope that Society Mechs & protos would someday get produced in Imperial factories(like in 50 years)   O0

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 18 November 2014, 09:19:49 »

There is more than enough bad blood to ensure that the Scorpions don't want they regaining a foothold in their new.  The Scorpions suffered a great deal from Society-aligned Coyote and Dark Caste forces as well as the Society itself not to mention the betrayal of some of their own Society-aligned scientists.  More than enough to consider them mortal enemies.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 18 November 2014, 09:53:28 »
Yeah do not even get me started on the Society. Of all the things that changed in the Jihad/ WoR era, that actually pisses me off.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 18 November 2014, 10:06:50 »
Why? We've had hints of them since before the Jihad.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 18 November 2014, 11:11:44 »
Hold up a second, have to get my soap box. Ok, here we go.

ahem... Even without the societies attempts to taint the gene pool of certain lineages, clan blood name lines were suffering genetic fatigue. The Scorpions attempted use of the ELH bloodlines could be seen as using a resource to combat a serious problem. Still, it is understandable they would be abjured.

The Coyote leadership worked with the society, a group who actively attempted to over through clan social structure and attack the genes of various bloodnames is not only not annihilated, not absorbed and not abjured, but is actually a growing power.

I am sorry writers, but I have to call BS on that one.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #79 on: 18 November 2014, 11:23:07 »
Hold up a second, have to get my soap box. Ok, here we go.

ahem... Even without the societies attempts to taint the gene pool of certain lineages, clan blood name lines were suffering genetic fatigue. The Scorpions attempted use of the ELH bloodlines could be seen as using a resource to combat a serious problem. Still, it is understandable they would be abjured.

The Coyote leadership worked with the society, a group who actively attempted to over through clan social structure and attack the genes of various bloodnames is not only not annihilated, not absorbed and not abjured, but is actually a growing power.

I am sorry writers, but I have to call BS on that one.

Which is why I made sure an explanation of the aftermath was given. And if you read between the lines, you'll note that the Star Adders were setting things up politically for their future power schemes.

The Coyotes are a paper tiger in 3095.
Eh.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #80 on: 18 November 2014, 18:53:40 »
Sorry to cap this as a third one in, but between the lines I read that the Scorpions got caught with their figurative scientist caste pants down regarding willful tainting of their own gene pool.  A couple of times.  That part is actually in the lines.  ;D

They also seem to never be interested in cleansing their Clan of any taint, and I even noted in the words of Khan Suvorov shreds of disappointment at failed experiments more than any kind of remorse for disregarding the Clan Way.  And they don't seem to recognize their own actions as tainted, at the least they just want to do their thing and be left alone.  At the most, they may have been treating with the Scoiety perhaps willingly - and maybe even on a level comparable to the Coyotes Society involvement.   

By the time the Scorpions were Abjured, it was rather expected.  What I really enjoyed was their willingness to go with it, and depart the Home Worlds.  It made sense, yes, but it also showed to me many possibilities regarding their future with this powerful gesture of striking off on their own. 

(Not to be a smartass or anything with the "between the lines" thing above, OK guys?  I had to chime in that way because it's relevant; there are all kinds of 'between the lines' type of things to be discerned and discussed built in to WoR.  But it is good perspective to be reminded that the Coyotes are being used, that is the reason they were not Annihilated.  Used first by the Vipers (Viper-centric thinking is the phrase that comes to mind), who initially saved them in the Grand Council, and later by the Adders - provided the Adders are still running the show in the Home Worlds.)

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #81 on: 18 November 2014, 19:05:44 »
(Not to be a smartass or anything with the "between the lines" thing above, OK guys?  I had to chime in that way because it's relevant; there are all kinds of 'between the lines' type of things to be discerned and discussed built in to WoR. 

Oh, no worries. Believe me, it took a lot of wordsmithing in spots to do effective 'between the lines' communication about many of the events in WOR. It's especially worth noting that the Clan who compiled the document is a master at it.

And three-and-a-half years later, there's still things I hint at in that book (and the supplement) that I've yet to see mentioned on the forum or in fan discussions.   >:D ;D O:-)

Everything in there has a purpose and a point.
Eh.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #82 on: 18 November 2014, 19:39:17 »
Oh, no worries. Believe me, it took a lot of wordsmithing in spots to do effective 'between the lines' communication about many of the events in WOR. It's especially worth noting that the Clan who compiled the document is a master at it.

And three-and-a-half years later, there's still things I hint at in that book (and the supplement) that I've yet to see mentioned on the forum or in fan discussions.   >:D ;D O:-)

Everything in there has a purpose and a point.

And this is why I am convinced Ben Rome feeds on our fear.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #83 on: 18 November 2014, 21:11:16 »
Is it wrong if I pictured the gathering of the Rebel Alliance Fleet at Roche's jumpoint when they were packing their warships and jumpers for their move?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #84 on: 18 November 2014, 23:16:53 »
Is it wrong if I pictured the gathering of the Rebel Alliance Fleet at Roche's jumpoint when they were packing their warships and jumpers for their move?

The gathering at Sullust in RotJ?  If that mental image is wrong, I don't want to be right.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #85 on: 18 November 2014, 23:45:37 »
Seeing the Jade Falcon thread moving along at the exact same pace as the Scorpion thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Maybe one day we'll be blessed with a leader as...uhh..charismatic as Malvina.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #86 on: 18 November 2014, 23:47:38 »
Seeing the Jade Falcon thread moving along at the exact same pace as the Scorpion thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Khan Cid Elam:  Don't even THINK of picking a fight with him.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #87 on: 19 November 2014, 04:57:08 »
The gathering at Sullust in RotJ?  If that mental image is wrong, I don't want to be right.

That's the one.  Fighters darting in and out from between the capital ships, tense background music, pizzas cooking around the clock to feed so many guests. 

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #88 on: 19 November 2014, 08:43:46 »
That's the one.  Fighters darting in and out from between the capital ships, tense background music, pizzas cooking around the clock to feed so many guests.

Does that make Connor Rood Lando?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 19 November 2014, 08:47:26 »
I was thinking more of the Rebel Fleet at the end of ESB. Connor Rood and Colin Yeh peering out a big viewport at Castilian worlds in the distance, like Luke and Leia looking out of the frigate with hope. Not that i'm suggesting any inappropriate relationship between Rood & Yeh...

Connor Rood seems excellent for me. No Malvina needed.

Register