Author Topic: List of Battletech Fanbooks, Projects, and links  (Read 57769 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: List of Battletech Fanbooks, Projects, and links
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2015, 21:22:35 »
No problem.  Try the same handle on other forums, particularly if they have a member list like this one.

Forums like this one show previous posts too, so you can see who the person talks with, then send PMs to his friends.  Only other thing to do that I can think of.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2015, 21:31:26 »
So added some foreign language (Spanish) books, as well as a new Spanish website, Nadir Point.  Marking time for the 13th, when the updated Shadows of War Spanish TRO comes out!
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2015, 23:58:33 »
The new TRO: Shadows of War 4.0 and RS: SoW 4.0 are out!  And we have what appears to be a English translation of the original TRO: SoW 1.0, with RS!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #33 on: 30 June 2015, 10:15:28 »
What is the best way to download some of these great books.

I really want this one House Amaris Sourcebook  but having a problem finding it.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: 30 June 2015, 11:45:40 »
What is the best way to download some of these great books.

I really want this one House Amaris Sourcebook  but having a problem finding it.

That's exactly what I'm trying to change by getting permissions from the creators of these awesome Fan Fiction items so I can host them on my forums. I'm at work, so I've got no way to send you the link...but maybe someone else can help. If not...let me know later tonight & I'll get that link for you.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #35 on: 30 June 2015, 13:01:04 »
That's exactly what I'm trying to change by getting permissions from the creators of these awesome Fan Fiction items so I can host them on my forums. I'm at work, so I've got no way to send you the link...but maybe someone else can help. If not...let me know later tonight & I'll get that link for you.

Thanks for the update. I love all the Fanbooks and stuff. Almost makes me want to write my own, but not that great at writing, and so many revisions with new tech.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 30 June 2015, 19:00:33 »
Thanks for the update. I love all the Fanbooks and stuff. Almost makes me want to write my own, but not that great at writing, and so many revisions with new tech.

Writing?  Writing is just practice telling a story.  Presentation - desktop publishing, really - is hard.  I have no shortage of simple text files of my own project and those belonging to other people because that was all they felt familiar with.  I just can't find time for (probably because of) love or money to spend time to learn it.

As for the House Amaris book - send me an email address and I'll upload it tonight for you.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #37 on: 30 June 2015, 19:05:56 »
For the record, the Army Reports were done entirely in MS Word, and saved in PDF format.

If you have to do any documentation as part of your job, you can "publish". It takes some time & effort, but isn't too hard really.

Tips (assuming you have basic-intermediate Word familiarity)
- Write all your text first. Don't try formatting it.
- Set the document to 2-column mode. Copy & paste the text in.
- Use line-breaks in the text for the areas you want pictures in. Copy the pictures in, set to Above Text, then move around & resize to suit.
- Use the Headings for your chapter/section headings, to get a "free" table of contents.
- fiddle endlessly until you're happy!

This isn't as efficient as true layout. But I had time & sweat to spare. The Army Reports presentation has been pretty well received.

Remember, only you can prevent a lack of fan products!

W.
W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 30 June 2015, 19:30:48 »

My point exactly.  Practice, practice, practice.  I just don't have it anymore for my hobbies.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 30 June 2015, 21:09:27 »
For the record, the Army Reports were done entirely in MS Word, and saved in PDF format.

If you have to do any documentation as part of your job, you can "publish". It takes some time & effort, but isn't too hard really.

Tips (assuming you have basic-intermediate Word familiarity)
- Write all your text first. Don't try formatting it.
- Set the document to 2-column mode. Copy & paste the text in.
- Use line-breaks in the text for the areas you want pictures in. Copy the pictures in, set to Above Text, then move around & resize to suit.
- Use the Headings for your chapter/section headings, to get a "free" table of contents.

This isn't as efficient as true layout. But I had time & sweat to spare. The Army Reports presentation has been pretty well received.

Remember, only you can prevent a lack of fan products!

W.
W.

WT...thank you, this will come in handy for when we start to finish off the TRO we are working on in my forums!

As for the House Amaris book - send me an email address and I'll upload it tonight for you.

Already taken care of RP!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 30 June 2015, 21:11:15 »
For TRO, all you really need to do is go 3 columns, landscape mode.

If I can ever figure out how to reliably turn pictures of 15-year-old kitbashes into something approaching line art, I have the text of a personal TRO sitting there for all that time ;)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 30 June 2015, 21:17:47 »
For TRO, all you really need to do is go 3 columns, landscape mode.

If I can ever figure out how to reliably turn pictures of 15-year-old kitbashes into something approaching line art, I have the text of a personal TRO sitting there for all that time ;)

Good tip...as far as the art for you, not sure what will do that. Best I could say is try a program like Paint.net or an online version. Maybe they can come close enough? Worse case...I'm sure you know some artists! LOL

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 30 June 2015, 21:22:16 »
Irfanview is what I use, but alas without achieving that holy grail. I believe you'll be using illustrators, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The other trick - when copying your text in, it can be really helpful to select "show hidden symbols". If you don't understand why your columns won't break properly, this helps you find the little section breaks or manual page breaks you didn't know existed.

Also, narrow margins is your friend!

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 30 June 2015, 21:24:54 »
Irfanview is what I use, but alas without achieving that holy grail. I believe you'll be using illustrators, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The other trick - when copying your text in, it can be really helpful to select "show hidden symbols". If you don't understand why your columns won't break properly, this helps you find the little section breaks or manual page breaks you didn't know existed.

Also, narrow margins is your friend!

Narrow margins...yes, they are definitely my friend!!! lol

I don't think I would have thought of the "show hidden symbols" thing...thanks!

I infact did use some artists already. SteelViperSohlama was one of them. His work is amazing!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 30 June 2015, 23:17:53 »
Narrow margins...yes, they are definitely my friend!!! lol

I don't think I would have thought of the "show hidden symbols" thing...thanks!

I infact did use some artists already. SteelViperSohlama was one of them. His work is amazing!

SVS?  Have you seen his Ostrich Extra-light mech?  That's exactly what I want my AU's ELMs to look like.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 01 July 2015, 06:05:45 »
Yes I have, although submissions are closed...I'm really tempted to ask if he would allow me to include it.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 01 July 2015, 15:40:22 »
I'm working on a TRO: 2866 Refits project at the moment ;)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 01 July 2015, 17:45:02 »

Cool...let me know when it's finished, I will gladly host it on my forums!

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 01 July 2015, 22:55:54 »
You can always check out Scribus.  www.scribus.net
Its essentially a freeware version of InDesign.
My wife does layout and graphic design for a living, and willingly tutored me on the stuff I did for my Alt-U because it meant bugging her less.  :-)  I built a template, wrote my stuff in word, copy pasted and then tweaked.

Dav
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 02 July 2015, 06:01:18 »
You can always check out Scribus.  www.scribus.net
Its essentially a freeware version of InDesign.
My wife does layout and graphic design for a living, and willingly tutored me on the stuff I did for my Alt-U because it meant bugging her less.  :-)  I built a template, wrote my stuff in word, copy pasted and then tweaked.

Dav

Thanks Dave...but more interesting than that, would you mind if I hosted a copy of your work if you've got it finished?

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 02 July 2015, 08:01:34 »
That could be hard,  the PDF's I have done shouldn't be a problem,  but there's some short fiction ive posted to the thread I'd need to gather together too.   I'll see what I can do,  holiday weekend here means some extra time.

Dav
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 02 July 2015, 18:21:51 »
That could be hard,  the PDF's I have done shouldn't be a problem,  but there's some short fiction ive posted to the thread I'd need to gather together too.   I'll see what I can do,  holiday weekend here means some extra time.

Dav

No problem, I'm more or less concentrating on Sourcebooks, TRO's, and the like...but I will certainly host the short stories too!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 02 July 2015, 19:10:18 »
No problem, I'm more or less concentrating on Sourcebooks, TRO's, and the like...but I will certainly host the short stories too!

You really should contact Master Arimas - I re-read his stuff on a semi-regular basis.  Try spacebattles.net for his stuff, or solaris7, or heck, even here in the fan fiction thread.

...You tease.  Please send me a link or something when you're done so it can go on the list.

My wife does layout and graphic design for a living, and willingly tutored me on the stuff I did for my Alt-U because it meant bugging her less.

I remember talking to you about that, too.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 02 July 2015, 19:11:48 »
I will have to look in to that...thanks!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 03 July 2015, 01:08:44 »
Thanks to Dragon41673, we have several new additions, including the massive 270-page TRO: Defensor Hominum, covering post-Star League Royal or Clanbuster upgrades for the Battle of Tukayyid and Operation: Scorpion.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #55 on: 04 July 2015, 09:38:26 »
hey red just a fyi, if ya have any o these in your dropbox would ya mind a sharing
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 04 July 2015, 20:31:43 »
Sure. Send me a PM with a email account for an invite - I've been uploading into a single folder, so a lot more is there.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 05 July 2015, 20:25:55 »
I knew TRO: Defensor Hominum was a bit different, but didn't fully understand without sitting down with TM and going through it before re-reading the Engineer's Notes at the end.  Many of the units with this TRO were updated using ComStar's inventory of spare parts - which had massive numbers of certain common engine sizes, but only a couple of the 'oddball' ones found in several different units.  These units were deliberately given a XL engine that was not a perfect match, to allow new weapon, armor, and equipment configurations.  I'm not sure if its legal - I haven't found anything about it, yet, so I'll probably ask here on the forum.

Yes, they are! Oversized engines are possible as a FrankenMech conversion. p. 189, SO.[\i]
« Last Edit: 05 July 2015, 20:38:45 by Red Pins »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 06 July 2015, 10:21:20 »
I've run into a small problem with Dropbox - whether user or Dropbox itself, first the files went missing from their folder, then 9+ hours of downloading ended with only the last three files uploaded into the files.  I've got no clue what happened, but it looks like I'll be uploading individual files until I figure out how Dropbox is screwing up.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 06 July 2015, 11:51:40 »
I use the desktop app...never failed me. Not sure how good the Web interface is for large files.

Could also be an issue on their end that needs to be resolved.

Register