Author Topic: World of Warships Beta  (Read 157958 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: World of Warships Beta
« Reply #930 on: 30 August 2017, 20:15:08 »
Iron Duke is proving to be a bit painful to get through for the Queen Elizabeth.

It is too short ranged for how slow it is, especially if it winds up bottom tier.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #931 on: 30 August 2017, 20:17:06 »
I'm going to pass for the moment.  Although i did get a Kraken and 145k damage with my Kamikaze today.  Low tier seal clubbing FTW!
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #932 on: 30 August 2017, 21:34:24 »
*nod*

Iron Duke feels like it is in a tough position.  It can do well even stock when top tier(had an 86k damage game that can back that up) but if it is middle or bottom tier it really starts suffering pretty badly even after I upgraded the fire control.

Just got the engine upgraded on my last match before I had to take a break again.  All in all I am damn tempted to free XP my way into Queen Elizabeth but I'd also like to save up for Missouri too.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #933 on: 31 August 2017, 01:39:13 »
Royal Navy BBs not been released in Europe yet 😢

I'd always disliked HMS Nelson from what I'd read and seen but both the appearance in the game and the way she plays are actually really nice and I'm becoming a fan
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #934 on: 31 August 2017, 03:23:57 »
I was faffing around with them last night, managed to have enough free XP saved/bought to get the Monarch.

Initial thoughts

Bellerophon - Awesome name aside, this is a fun lil ship, she's a magnificent HE lobber.

Orion - Very good for her teir, good gun arcs, excellent HE and adequate AP

Iron Duke - Next to identical in terms of performance and armament to the Orion, with a bit more armour and better secondaries, she's good at tier but suffers badly outside of it.  If bottom tier, load HE and spam away.

Queen Elisabeth - Its a Warspite, with slow turrets, longer ranged guns and better AA.  Like the Warspite she's quite tough but also squishy with a lot of superstructure to set on fire.

KGV - I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would.  HE and AP are very good and with 10 fairly fast firing guns you can out shoot a lot of targets.  Cruisers will HATE you. Her tough to hit citadel makes her hard to delete, but she's got a lot of squishy areas that catch shells and she burns easily.

Monarch - Absurdly stealthy with the right build/cammo (10.4 km for mine) and armed with 9 x 15-inch guns, she's nice.  Rubbish secondaries but decent AA and a good heal.  Same as the KGV, she's hard to delete but easy to damage, but you can angle with both her and the KGV to try and avoid the worst of hostile fire as their belt is massively thick.  Like the KGV she burns easily.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #935 on: 31 August 2017, 06:21:31 »
I was faffing around with them last night, managed to have enough free XP saved/bought to get the Monarch.

Initial thoughts

Bellerophon - Awesome name aside, this is a fun lil ship, she's a magnificent HE lobber.

Orion - Very good for her teir, good gun arcs, excellent HE and adequate AP

Iron Duke - Next to identical in terms of performance and armament to the Orion, with a bit more armour and better secondaries, she's good at tier but suffers badly outside of it.  If bottom tier, load HE and spam away.

Queen Elisabeth - Its a Warspite, with slow turrets, longer ranged guns and better AA.  Like the Warspite she's quite tough but also squishy with a lot of superstructure to set on fire.

KGV - I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would.  HE and AP are very good and with 10 fairly fast firing guns you can out shoot a lot of targets.  Cruisers will HATE you. Her tough to hit citadel makes her hard to delete, but she's got a lot of squishy areas that catch shells and she burns easily.

Monarch - Absurdly stealthy with the right build/cammo (10.4 km for mine) and armed with 9 x 15-inch guns, she's nice.  Rubbish secondaries but decent AA and a good heal.  Same as the KGV, she's hard to delete but easy to damage, but you can angle with both her and the KGV to try and avoid the worst of hostile fire as their belt is massively thick.  Like the KGV she burns easily.

Excellent - I look forward to having a go as soon as they are available to me but for fun I may grind my way through the tiers  :)

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #936 on: 01 September 2017, 08:20:24 »
Well, cracked through the Bellerophon and got to the Orion last night and enjoyed playing both immensely (despite the absurdly long queues for games).  Considering my habit of collecting pretty much anything authentically WWI looking all definitely be keeping both.

I'm not looking forward to Iron Duke quite so much, I can see how he'll be painful to play when you're bottom tier and for some stupid reason they've spoiled the historical ships good looks with an ugly trunked funnel.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #937 on: 08 September 2017, 18:41:43 »
So this happened to me tonight. Stock airwing Bogue, with full upgrades, in a co-op with nothing but bots that killed each other. Killed a destroyer, a cruiser, and the enemy carrier.

And captured one of the spots with that slow seed, once all the surface traffic was gone.  8)
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #938 on: 31 October 2017, 22:11:25 »
Finally got a 5 star on the new event.

Took me enough tries.

Let's just say I'm pretty sure Rasputin and Gorgon could press some pretty serious charges against me for how I got the bulk of that damage total.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #939 on: 01 November 2017, 04:02:03 »
Well, cracked through the Bellerophon and got to the Orion last night and enjoyed playing both immensely (despite the absurdly long queues for games).  Considering my habit of collecting pretty much anything authentically WWI looking all definitely be keeping both.

I'm not looking forward to Iron Duke quite so much, I can see how he'll be painful to play when you're bottom tier and for some stupid reason they've spoiled the historical ships good looks with an ugly trunked funnel.

This also made me sad about the Queen Elisabeth, there's no 'as built' look for them, as they were a stunningly handsome ship when originally completed.  And yeah the Iron Duke's trunked funnel is hideous.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #940 on: 02 November 2017, 15:39:24 »
Damn Wargaming.  They are doing something that is actually tempting me into giving them my money again despite me not wanting to with how they keep making the game less and less fun but still the best offering on the market right now.

They have put up a special on their premium USS Texas where 100% of the proceeds will got to help repair the real USS Texas.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #941 on: 04 November 2017, 11:45:50 »
Forgotten how much fun the Fiji is when you are top tier.  Krakens are the best.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #942 on: 04 November 2017, 13:35:01 »
I do kind of feel like the Edin is an overall downgrade of the Fiji, mostly thanks to tier 8s almost constantly getting down tiered.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #943 on: 04 November 2017, 16:13:39 »
I do kind of feel like the Edin is an overall downgrade of the Fiji, mostly thanks to tier 8s almost constantly getting down tiered.
I love the New Orleans.  Unfortunately it sees mostly Tier X games which it does not do well with.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #944 on: 04 November 2017, 16:28:55 »
Yeah the New Orleans does not handle being down tiered well at all.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #945 on: 04 November 2017, 16:32:27 »
Yeah the New Orleans does not handle being down tiered well at all.
If all the Tier 8's had heal that would help a lot.  Otherwise the NO will be a Tier 7 soon enough.  Now the Baltimore downtiered to 8 will be interesting.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #946 on: 08 November 2017, 00:36:27 »
So I just looked into the pending US CV changes.

I have nothing but impolite language for Wargaming if they think those changes will be good ideas.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #947 on: 08 November 2017, 04:29:36 »
In fairness to Wargaming (or at least an attempt) they have a constant tension to try to find a balance that works across a wide range of possible combinations of both ship/captain skill and player skill at different levels. Different people will want different things. Think of all of the different approaches to gaming seen with BattleTech when they tried ClickiTech and the various permutations of D&D/AD&D.

Also, those who complain loudest are not necessarily going to be their biggest customers. I am biased in my purchases as I only really want to sail "Allied" ships and take particular pleasure in sinking the Bismark.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #948 on: 08 November 2017, 08:19:10 »
what are the pending changes to US CV??
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #949 on: 08 November 2017, 09:51:13 »
what are the pending changes to US CV??
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/11/05/wows-info-5th-november-2017/
Bottom Half. Copied here for quick reference.

"All the USN aircraft carriers will switch to a single flight control. This will increase the line’s versatility, while keeping each ship’s unique traits. Moreover, there is now a choice of AP bombs for Lexington (tier VIII), Essex (tier IX) and Midway (tier X), allowing for even more tactical variation." The single flight group will be mostly balanced with at least one squadron of each type.

Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #950 on: 08 November 2017, 10:51:58 »
Which will make life very difficult.

The main way I've found to be effective at all with Independence is to go 2 fighter 1 dive bomber.

I keep Ryujo strike currently but after this change I am absolutely going to go air superiority with it just because I will be able to make life miserable for US CV players while still having a decent strike ability.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #951 on: 14 November 2017, 15:08:46 »
Looks like WoWs is coming out on Steam tomrrow. I think I might finally break down and give it a try. Any suggestions for a newb? What is worth spending a wee bit 'o cash on, and what is a total waste? Any ships particularly broken at the low end at the moment?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #952 on: 14 November 2017, 16:18:27 »
Looks like WoWs is coming out on Steam tomrrow. I think I might finally break down and give it a try. Any suggestions for a newb? What is worth spending a wee bit 'o cash on, and what is a total waste? Any ships particularly broken at the low end at the moment?
If you already have a WoWS account, you can't link it to Steam. Steam WoWS will be its own account.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #953 on: 14 November 2017, 17:40:27 »
If you already have a WoWS account, you can't link it to Steam. Steam WoWS will be its own account.

I don't have a WoWs account, so I'll probably just play under my Steam ID.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #954 on: 14 November 2017, 17:46:10 »
My advice would be to pick one or two lines and stick to them to play and gain experience in - I do the Royal Navy and US Navy.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #955 on: 14 November 2017, 17:52:47 »
Learn the WASD hackz early and you'll eat less torps.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #956 on: 14 November 2017, 18:38:07 »

A lot depends on what you are looking for so I'll give some general thoughts.

A few notes first.

Because of the rarity of CVs but the abundance of smoke screens and torpedoes I prefer using hydro accoustic search over defensive fire.

IJN= Japanese, KM=German, MN=French, RM=Italy rest should be pretty obvious.

I absolutely refuse to play the Russian line.

I am also rather disinclined to recommend people pay the huge amounts of money for premium ships unless it is a ship you really want and on special bundled with some interesting stuff.  Some other things that might be worth picking up are the premium account time, especially if you know you'll be playing a lot.  Maybe getting some gold for some of the permanent camos to keep resupply costs down(only premium ships and tier 6 up so far).  Do not waste gold converting to credits unless you get some from a super container but even then there is probably better stuff to use the gold on.

Now my thoughts on the lines I play.

US DDs
What I have in this line: Farragut and Benson
In general: Pretty reliant on their guns, which kind of becomes more difficult the higher up the tier you go, but the biggest fairly early stand out is the Clemson at tier 4.  But if you can learn how to use islands and your smoke the lack of radar means you can have some really good games just hammering on people.

US CL/CAs
What I have in this line: Cleveland and New Orleans
In general: This line is eventually getting split but that won't be coming for a while and won't really effect anything until tier 6.  St. Louis is a very nice but slow CL at tier 3 that is as Jingles puts it "made out of guns".  Phoenix is the first time you get torpedoes and it has the mobility to use them.

US BBs
What I have in this line: Arkansas Beta, New Mexico, and North Carolina
In general:  Well they are pretty rough at low tier.  Not the worst but the inaccuracy will be maddening all too often but if you can get through it from New York on they actually get pretty strong.  I should warn the change in play style from New Mexico(pretty good brawler) to Colorado(more a long ranged fighter) is a bit rough.

US CVs
What I have in this line: Independence(2 Fighters 1 Dive Bomber is my preferred setup)
In general:  I do not recommend with the pending changes.  Especially with how rough life is at tier 4 and 5 without manual attacks you don't get a lot of training for how to fight against higher tier CVs that do have manual attacks and the more experienced CV players that have been using manual attacks for a long time.  If you really feel inclined I can actually almost recommend Saipan if it is on special.  Probably the most forgiving CV to just jump straight into.

IJN DDs
What I have in this line: Tachibana, Minekaze, Akizuki, Kagero, and Yugumo
In general:  Never get really good guns but getting a sense of when to go ahead and use them does keep them from being completely useless.  Their torpedoes though...  Well people seem to be a lot better at dodging mine these days but they are pretty solid.

IJN CL/CAs
What I have in this line: tier 3 I got from an event that I can't remember the name of, Kuma, Yubari, Aoba, ARP Myoko, ARP, Haguro, ARP Nachi, ARP Ashigara, ARP Takao, and Mogami(203mm configuration but with some of the changes I'm really thinking about changing back to 152mm)
In general:  These however do eventually get some really good guns and get torpedoes as early as tier 3.  They get 203mm guns starting at tier 5 with the Furataka.  While it doesn't get very many of them they do hit fairly hard and if you use HE start fires pretty reliably.

IJN BBs
What I have in this line: ARP Kongo, ARP Haruna, ARP Kirishima, ARP Hiei, Fuso, and Amagi
In general:  Probably have worse accuracy issues than US BBs early one but once you get to Myogi and beyond you out range and out run your competition until tier 8.

IJN CVs
What I have in this line: Ryujo(1 Fighter, 2 torpedo, 2 dive bomer), Hiryu(3 fighter setup)
In general:  With the changes for US CVs coming up these are the only ones really worth considering right now.

KM DDs
What I have in this line: Daede and Z-52
In general:  A bit like US DDS in that they are also more gun oriented and the shorter duration of their smoke can make them a bit tougher to get to grips with but they can be very rewarding.  Torpedoes early on are really slow but the party trick of the V-170 can help a bit with that.

KM CL/CA/CB
What I have in this line: Nurnburg and Graf Spee
In general:   I haven't gone beyond Nurnberg but I do also have the Graf Spee.  Kolberg is actually pretty durable.

KM BBs
What I have in this line:Bismark
In general:  I skipped straight to the Bismark thanks to an event so I can't really say much about them.

UK CLs
What I have in this line: Emerald, Leander, and Edinburough
In general:  These ships are in a bit of a rough state right now because of the smoke nerfs but can be very powerful despite that.  They never get defensive fire so protecting yourself from air strikes can be tricky but their ability to keep speed in a turn and how generally agile they are  does make dodging a lot easier.  Emerald is really hard to come to grips with but if you can it really is good practice for UK CL operation.

UK BBs
What I have in this line: Queen Elizabeth, King George V, Hood, Nelson
In general:  I skipped straight to Iron Duke and it felt a bit squishy to me to be honest.  So does Queen Elizabeth.  But Nelson, Hood, and King George V all have been surprisingly durable and are pretty nice.  Yeah I shelled out for Hood.  I hate myself for it at times but it is a good ship in game that eats enemy dive bombers.

MN CL/CAs
What I have in this line: Emile Bertin, the glassy one as I call it because I can't spell it for a damn, and Algerie
In general:  These ones are hard for me to describe.  A bit thin on armor early on they do become a bit better later on.  Emile Bertin is faster than most DDs.

RM isn't really in yet but I did decide to drop some cash on the Duke and they have a BB available too.  The main thing I like about the Duke is that I don't have to choose between hydro and defensive fire.  It gets them both and a spotter plane.  Makes it actually really well rounded.  Torpedoes are slow and don't hit super hard but have a nice range.  Guns are fairly accurate and have decent rate of fire but it doesn't have too many of them.

And egads do I have a lot of ships.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #957 on: 15 November 2017, 11:26:17 »
egads you DO have a lot of ships!

Well, I actually installed the game last night and farted around in the intro mission and a couple of co-op battles (seems I'm too new/terrible for pvp just yet!) Only accidentally rammed one ship and just barely brushed an island once. My gunnery and positioning were terrible though. I started with the US line, and while I unlocked the tier 2 cruiser, it kinda feels worse than the tier 1! It was fun, but I'd forgotten how steep the learning curve can be on these games. I've played MWO long enough that I can generally drop back in after a few weeks off and be competent. This game? I'm just happy not to land a couple shells!

So far targeting makes the least sense to me. I hit X a couple times, but it wasn't obvious what it was doing, if anything. Maybe it makes more sense when you get a boat with torps? Beyond that the whole process of unlocking ships and the tech tree are...lets just say I feel like I'm missing something. For one, I can't figure out where I can see my current credits or research points (the little star icon.) I see the little gold icon (assume that is premium money), but not where you can check your plebe money. As for the tech tree its self, it seems like I can either spend research on unlocking modules OR on unlocking new ships, but I don't really have to unlock any modules if I don't want to...or maybe I do? Not really sure. I didn't even try to figure out how captains or flags or camo work. I also don't really have any idea how the resupply stuff works, or if it even matters if you aren't using premium stuff, but I assume I can dig that up with Google if necessary.

So far, it seems like a fun game, but I think I need to see how fighting against real people feels while grinding through low-tier ships before I commit any money. Also, I have zero desire to play CV's. I watched a couple videos of folks playing them and it's clearly not what I'm interested in.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #958 on: 15 November 2017, 11:43:38 »
Yeah the Chester is pretty rough but I actually kind of liked it once I got it fully upgraded.

And in the upper right it does go gold(pay real money currency), credits(pleb currency), and free xp(xp you can spend on any ship/module as long as you have enough).  Where your user name is there is a drop down menu that you can click to open that can give you access to your profile which will tell you what you can expect as your captain level goes up.

The XP you've earned on a particular ship will be spent first and can be found right under the ship name.  Sometimes you will have to research certain modules on a ship before you can get the next ship.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #959 on: 15 November 2017, 13:27:46 »
Thanks for the info. It's funny, no matter how many 'intro to' videos or forum posts you look at, there is always some simple thing that just isn't obvious! If I get some free time tonight, I'll have to see if I can grind out enough matches to unlock pvp, where I can truly be a potato!

Register