Author Topic: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing  (Read 165962 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing
« Reply #720 on: 17 November 2017, 19:01:08 »
Wow. I literally could not care less about that. Is this something people are really debating, or is it just something lazy website writers can crib off each other?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #721 on: 17 November 2017, 19:25:35 »
Wow. I literally could not care less about that. Is this something people are really debating, or is it just something lazy website writers can crib off each other?

Well...(and this I have no issues discussing because the Game is out now and people have gotten to this), it is revealed during the Mission that Del and Iden eventually marry and have a daughter, and of course, with Rey's parentage still unknown the more rabid fans will pick up on ANYTHING that points to...Hey a couple of Characters have a daughter, Rey's a girl with unknown parents, they must be related!

And having played stuff that goes beyond the initial release...No, Rey is not their daughter.

And frankly I am amazed that people would even think that! yes, a major plot reveal will be in a video Game, and we will learn who Snopes really is (canonically) in a 1 panel comic strip in a Marvel cross-over comic with the DCU, because that sort of stuff is great for any franchise ;)

But in all seriousness, it was nice to see Ships from the Star Wars Armada game in the Battlefront game, and piloting a  Bespin Cloud Car in Combat....lets just say...funny!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #722 on: 17 November 2017, 19:27:23 »
That's not the dumbest fan-theory I've ever heard, but it's pretty close to it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #723 on: 20 November 2017, 00:07:26 »
So I’ve been playing Skyrim on the Switch even though I have both versions, including the Special Edition on Steam. The game runs like butter with a graphical fidelity of something between the X360 and the X1. The real magic is in taking it portable, doing quests on the go, and especially the ability to put the system to sleep and wake nearly instantaneously with almost no power draw when off. That’s stonking amazing. I pulled it out of my case, pressed power, selected the paused game and began playing inside of three seconds. I *like* that.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #724 on: 25 November 2017, 17:50:42 »
So I’ve been playing Skyrim on the Switch even though I have both versions, including the Special Edition on Steam. The game runs like butter with a graphical fidelity of something between the X360 and the X1. The real magic is in taking it portable, doing quests on the go, and especially the ability to put the system to sleep and wake nearly instantaneously with almost no power draw when off. That’s stonking amazing. I pulled it out of my case, pressed power, selected the paused game and began playing inside of three seconds. I *like* that.
It makes me wish I had liked playing Skyrim; for some reason the game did nothing for me, no matter how much I like Fallout and so forth. The Switch IS great because it's portable and still looks good on the TV. Hopefully the next game we're getting for it is Fire Emblem Warriors.

Me, I've been playing Pokemon Ultra Moon.

I... I think I'm over Pokemon. I'm only going through it because my wife is going through Ultra Sun, and I'm doing what is called in the pogeymon world Nuzlocking - where you HAVE to catch the first pokemon you meet in each route, you can't catch any more in that route, and if a pokemon you're using faints you have to stick it in the PC forever.

It's challenging, to be sure, but not really challenging ENOUGH - because once you get to a certain point, if you've been using a small enough team, your 'mons are 10 levels over the opponent's and if you're careful you won't lose any.

But on the other hand, playing online is TOO challenging for me. It frustrates me, not because they're good, but because I'M bad. I can't predict for beans, and though I spent days of my life (not just, ya know, a couple of hours a day, but literal 24-hours total multiple days) breeding about 50 different competitive pokemon. Which isn't easy, they have a genetics system that governs the stat values and some moves can only be learned by passing down from a different kind of pokemon and more - but I can't claim that it was anything more than a waste of effort.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #725 on: 25 November 2017, 17:58:14 »

I am very seriously considering a Switch. I wouldn't mind doing another run through Skyrim, and what I've seen of the new Mario and Zelda games looks fantastic.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #726 on: 25 November 2017, 18:50:21 »
It makes me wish I had liked playing Skyrim; for some reason the game did nothing for me, no matter how much I like Fallout and so forth.

Skyrim is honestly kind of a dull game.  It doesn't take very long before you're just fighting the same enemies and doing the same basic quests over and over until you get the next armor upgrade or the next spell or whatever.  It's honestly too open ended and like most Bethesda titles doesn't have much of a plot.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #727 on: 26 November 2017, 14:17:19 »
Day off from work and I spent all of it at home! Today I played 3 different games!
Phantasy Star II (part of the Sega Mega Drive collection on Steam) with replica of Genesis controller (Hyperkin GN6)
Battlerite (members of anime club wanted to play it)
Brigador: Up-Armored Edition (FUUN!)
Yesterday I installed & played DoomRL (RL = Rogue Like)

I had a good weekend :)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #728 on: 27 November 2017, 12:39:45 »
messed around with front missions 5 and for pc over the hellday weekend
wish my japaniese was better when it came to fm 5
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #729 on: 27 November 2017, 14:07:34 »
ok another soul and time sucker because one turn is not  enough...ever
original 90s xcom
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #730 on: 27 November 2017, 14:19:18 »
ok another soul and time sucker because one turn is not  enough...ever
original 90s xcom
Term you're looking for is X-COM, because XCOM is from 2012

[edit]
And both series are on sale on Steam. Xenonauts too.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2017, 14:22:41 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #731 on: 28 November 2017, 03:00:22 »
I REALLY hate game breaking glitches.

So in Fallout 3, I never did the Pitt or Point Lookout DLC. They just didn't look interesting - rummaging around as a slave? Wandering around a swamp fighting hillbillies?

Decided to get around to it with the PC version I've got the Fallout Wasteland Explorer (FWE) mod on - if you're wondering where a lot of the improvements for Fallout 4 came from, like dashing and grenade hotkeys, it's from FWE. No joke. Makes the game hard, but fun.

Went through Point Lookout, the only worthwhile bit of which is the mission where you're playing the Chinese spy trying to destroy the captured submarine, and then went on to the Pitt. Walked around, gathered all the ingots, stealth splashed a lot of enemies, then got to the part where you're supposed to hit the arena.

AND THE WOMAN'S DIALOGUE ISN'T THERE.

It defaults to some sort of "What goes on here" questionnaire instead of letting me enter the arena and continue the game. Went back to a point where I hadn't gathered all the ingots, tried it again, same glitch.

So I wasted 2 hours of my life doing this DLC. Just a total waste of time, because it's broken and I don't know how or why. I don't think it's the FWE, because everything else works in the entire game, but man... what a pisser. I'd be more mad if I'd actually cared or been interested in the story.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #732 on: 28 November 2017, 03:26:39 »
The Pitt was IMO the worst DLC for Fallout 3.  And that's saying something.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #733 on: 28 November 2017, 03:34:34 »
I found nothing of any value in FO3's DLC.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #734 on: 28 November 2017, 16:59:43 »
I found nothing of any value in FO3's DLC.
I actually enjoyed Mothership Zeta - it was an interesting change and an exploration of the world. A large part of Fallout's aesthetic belongs to the 1950s, and saucer-flying aliens with big heads is a HUGE part of that. I like that it explored the idea that the Zetans were responsible for the war being triggered, but never SAID that they were - leaving it a mystery. Was humanity responsible for its own destruction, or was there an outside source?

Broken Steel was okay only because it raised the level cap and let you do some cool fighting alongside the BoS. Powered armor infantry performing combined arms actions with a giant robot and VTOLs? What's a Battletech fan NOT to enjoy about that? Plus, it allowed your rad-proof companions to actually DO THEIR JOB and do something that is a light tickle for them, but lethal for you.

Fallout 3 is my favorite of the games, storyline-wise. It has a solid flow to it, and that initial sequence of LIVING in the Vault as a tutorial is one of the flat-out best devices I have EVER seen. New Vegas was the tired trope of amnesia and revenge, FO4 had almost the same thing going on with revenge being the primary motive, but with FO3 you experienced the peaceful life of the Vault with your father, only to have him disappear and be thrust out into the world with him as your only touchstone.

FNV had the hands-down best DLC. FO4 had the best moral choice, with all of them equally good or bad. But FO3 had the best overall story IMHO.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #735 on: 28 November 2017, 18:23:54 »
I thought New Vegas's story was less about revenge than it was about figuring out what the hell you'd gotten mixed up in while the amnesia part was really glossed over enough that you could safely ignore it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #736 on: 28 November 2017, 20:46:04 »
I thought New Vegas's story was less about revenge than it was about figuring out what the hell you'd gotten mixed up in while the amnesia part was really glossed over enough that you could safely ignore it.
I have to withdraw it - the Courier CAN remember things, if it's your choice, through dialogue. The Lonesome Drifter can be asked if he's 17 by a male character with Ladykiller, and acts relieved when he says 28, for example. So the Courier must just be very, VERY new to the Vegas area, and thus ignorant. Or else stricken with short term memory loss from the bullet, which is also quite believable.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #737 on: 03 December 2017, 00:43:27 »
Picked up Diablo III for PS4.  My Barbarian has so much life-gain on hit that it takes a seriously strong enemy to actually cause me to drop below max HP for any length of time.  I'm trying to power-level up to the point where I can play with some of my friends on the PS4 network who've had the game for a while.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #738 on: 03 December 2017, 09:27:28 »
Picked up Diablo III for PS4.  My Barbarian has so much life-gain on hit that it takes a seriously strong enemy to actually cause me to drop below max HP for any length of time.  I'm trying to power-level up to the point where I can play with some of my friends on the PS4 network who've had the game for a while.

Just join them anyways...The nice thing is sure they may be way up in level, but the XP you will gain at that level is insane. Plus the loot drops will be higher level (and some will drop just for you), as well as giving you access to gems that would be levels ahead of you.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #739 on: 03 December 2017, 11:21:17 »
Good to know.  I'm burning through levels pretty quickly as it is: nearly hit level 20 in just an afternoon's rather casual play.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #740 on: 04 December 2017, 15:29:50 »
I just started playing RimWorld, and the last couple of things I can remember that sucked up quite such a percentage of my time were/are Project Zomboid and Civ III.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #741 on: 04 December 2017, 17:13:46 »
I just started playing RimWorld, and the last couple of things I can remember that sucked up quite such a percentage of my time were/are Project Zomboid and Civ III.

Likewise. I'm watching one of my best cleanup workers sit in the brig for days waiting for his Alcohol detox to finish. Then there's the poor lady addicted to luciferium. I didn't realize it was basically a death sentence when she joined the settlement. The poor settlers had to put her down after her third or fourth drug rage.

This game is *deep* and I still haven't manufactured one spaceship part.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #742 on: 05 December 2017, 01:10:29 »
Got all three Witcher games on Steam sale and TOAW IV as it came out, so I'm splitting my time between the two.
Shoot first, laugh later.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #743 on: 05 December 2017, 14:35:24 »
Likewise. I'm watching one of my best cleanup workers sit in the brig for days waiting for his Alcohol detox to finish. Then there's the poor lady addicted to luciferium. I didn't realize it was basically a death sentence when she joined the settlement. The poor settlers had to put her down after her third or fourth drug rage.

This game is *deep* and I still haven't manufactured one spaceship part.
I picked a region to start in where I had a year-round growing season, and discovered I get 50 celcius summer heatwaves in which putting aircon units on -60 couldn't bring the temperature down below 20 celcius. So, I built a fridge in the mountain, and now I have to periodically set fire to it because of insectoid infestations, and I have no idea what I'm doing but raiders keep trying to break into my wild boar farm.

But then I recruited someone with the ugly trait, because how bad could that be? It turns out they're a hard worker, and beat a slothful character to death *in my rec room* before I knew what was going on.

Wibble.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #744 on: 05 December 2017, 19:41:35 »
I picked a region to start in where I had a year-round growing season, and discovered I get 50 celcius summer heatwaves in which putting aircon units on -60 couldn't bring the temperature down below 20 celcius. So, I built a fridge in the mountain, and now I have to periodically set fire to it because of insectoid infestations, and I have no idea what I'm doing but raiders keep trying to break into my wild boar farm.

But then I recruited someone with the ugly trait, because how bad could that be? It turns out they're a hard worker, and beat a slothful character to death *in my rec room* before I knew what was going on.

Wibble.

I get similar heatwaves. The key for me is to stack cooling units per room. My fridge zone is a giant walk-in freezer where I keep crops, meat, and dead animals. Completed meals stay in an adjacent fridge. That way the constant walking traffic doesn't keep the doors open to the storage fridge. The size of the fridge forces me to have five cooler units to maintain temps. It's not a huge problem for me as I have great geothermal energy sources, but if your electrical system is stressed, I find that putting two passive coolers in each bedroom works pretty well (no barracks; each settler gets a separate building).

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #745 on: 06 December 2017, 17:07:28 »
I get similar heatwaves. The key for me is to stack cooling units per room. My fridge zone is a giant walk-in freezer where I keep crops, meat, and dead animals. Completed meals stay in an adjacent fridge. That way the constant walking traffic doesn't keep the doors open to the storage fridge. The size of the fridge forces me to have five cooler units to maintain temps. It's not a huge problem for me as I have great geothermal energy sources, but if your electrical system is stressed, I find that putting two passive coolers in each bedroom works pretty well (no barracks; each settler gets a separate building).
I've found that the best large freezer is one dug into a mountain, with a kind of cavity wall around it most of the way round. I basically built a large rectangular room, with an airlock at one end; opposite the airlock, I put a wall-lined channel to the outside, with a pair of cooling vents in it and plain vents at the open end, and then put a two-wide corridor all around the remaining wall. The freezer itself seems to stay at a constant temperature even during the worst heatwaves. I like the passive coolers in the bedrooms, too - I'm practically swimming with wood. I've just started experimenting with deep drilling, which has been something of an experience. Based on what's come out of the three deep drilling sites I started excavating within the boundaries of my colony, I might be sitting on top of a giant uranium-powered reactor like the one in Total Recall...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #746 on: 12 December 2017, 16:15:02 »
So I beat Diablo III, but instead of taking me back to the beginning of the game it's just taking me to the beginning of Act V?

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #747 on: 13 December 2017, 02:35:51 »
Recently I've revisited X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter.  It brings back so much childhood memories

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #748 on: 13 December 2017, 10:40:41 »
Recently I've revisited X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter.  It brings back so much childhood memories
What joystick are you using? I got a USB joystick just for this purpose and it didn't work with Windows 7.

I found the Ghostbusters 360 game - the one that came out a few years ago written by Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis - at a flea market for a buck. HILARIOUS. Absolutely worth more than the money I paid, not that I'm going to go back and give him more.

RAY: Oh no, Slimer's escaped again!

VENKMAN: (deadpan) No, wait, come back.

JANINE Hello, Ghostbusters. Mmm, mm-hmm. No, we do not advise that you attempt to perform a Peruvian
type-5 exorcism on yourself! Mm-hmm. But listen, listen, once you've tied yourself to the chair, it's very difficult to do that to the cat even if you could catch it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #749 on: 13 December 2017, 10:47:04 »
I finally found the elusive SNES Classic and have been playing Secret of Mana. So much better than the iPhone version.

Also: dem controllers. It’s nice to have the real thing in hand again.