Author Topic: Chrome Finish on 'Mechs  (Read 1745 times)

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
Chrome Finish on 'Mechs
« on: 11 September 2016, 13:28:03 »
So I'm really excited to get my hands on one of IWM's new Roadrunners in the near future, and I'd like to find a way to 'chrome' the mini without destroying too much of the details in the sculpt. (I figure a chrome finish - plus a few metallic green racing stripes here and there - will make it go faster!)

I've see a few videos that suggest that Spaz Stix's Ultimate Mirror Chrome rattle can (over a high-gloss black undercoat) might be the best way to achieve what I want, but I wanted to see if any of you kind folk have achieved a true chrome finish (not metallic silver) on a 'mech using a better method.

What do you think?

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Re: Chrome Finish on 'Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2016, 17:19:21 »
There are very nice lacquer paints called "alclad II" available that can achieve a vry realistic finish. You need to have an airbrush for those. I've used alclad paints before, but on larger things. Because mechs are scaled so small it might look a bit strange or unrealistic trying to chrome the entire model. Vallejo also recently put out a series of realistic metal colors, which have the bonus of being non-toxic. Haven't tried those yet though. One last thing - if you do chrome something, you'll have to sand and polish the finish multiple times to get a good, realistic finish. The company that sells alclad also sells some nice micro sanding films.

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2016, 22:05:10 »
Thanks for the tip Alpha1. I figured I'd have to polish the finish once the final coat was applied. Based on the videos I've watched, it appears you can sometimes get away with very, very fine grit sandpaper, or even a clean piece of soft cotton!

Regardless, it would appear that for either Alclad or Spaz Stix you really need to start with a super-smooth basecoat of ultra-glossy black, followed by generous layers of the chroming product itself. It's been suggested that a good-quality enamel would work best. I've sprayed miniatures before, of course, but I'm concerned about just how thick the application here might have to be.

Anywho, I've seen the results some people were able to get on larger plastic models, and it's quite exciting to think something similar might be possible on a 'mech. Even if the effect destroys some of the illusion of 'scale', I think the visually-striking effect of a mirror-shiny mini (with a few ultra-saturated color highlights) would be worth it!

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2016, 22:17:12 »
I swear by Testor's buffing metalizer paints when I paint metal surfaces on a larger model, but I've never tried it on a BT mini. I'm sure it would work well though as it can be polished with a soft towel. It comes in a rattle can and can be applied like spray primer.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2016, 23:30:15 »
For something off the wall, use the polishing brush on a Dremel or equivalent, on the bare mini. Removing the thin oxide layer produces a beautiful metal sheen, with the oxide left in the panel lines for contrast.

Then hit with a gloss or semi-gloss varnish coat to keep it shiny.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2016, 07:07:50 »
Worktroll,

Yeah, I've thought about that. There is a old thread in here somewhere where one of our members did that to a Highlander IIc (and something else) and got great results. Trouble is, I don't know about minis that have few large, flat surfaces.

That, and I don't own a dremel. :(

I have a couple of Mackies that need to be finished kicking around here somewhere - maybe I'll see if I can borrow someone's dremel and try that on them.

Register