Author Topic: CSO Tutorial: Painting Yellow Made Simple  (Read 2547 times)

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
CSO Tutorial: Painting Yellow Made Simple
« on: 14 September 2016, 09:05:45 »
My first video tutorial is up. The live stream wasn't very successful, but thankfully a good recording posted on youtube still works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV6IwOVALD0

Konrath

• Corporal
Re: CSO Tutorial: Painting Yellow Made Simple
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2016, 09:40:08 »
This is great, thanks for doing these! I tried to watch FB, but as you mentioned it was super laggy. It would stutter every 1-2 seconds. I hope you try youtube live over twitch as I don't think it uses flash, and most people have less issues!

What kind of schedule do you think you'll have for these videos? Would they be every couple of weeks?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2016, 09:40:59 »
Thanks for trying. Looking forward to the next one :-)
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2016, 11:11:58 »
What kind of schedule do you think you'll have for these videos? Would they be every couple of weeks?

I'm hoping for something new at least once every two to four weeks for the longer painting tutorials.  I'd like to make a quick tip video once every one or two weeks but we'll see. Additionally, if some of the other artists are able to start doing videos, that will be great too.

KhanPhelanWard

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2016, 05:29:35 »
I have got to watch it with more time, it's so different the way I paint.

But one question, the quality of the paintjob is for gaming, isn' it?

Thanks.
Don't miss out on my Camospecs miniatures on ebay:

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2016, 08:31:05 »
Yes these are a solid tabletop quality paintjob. I won't be putting any of them up on CSO as they're essentially just a nicely drybrushed miniature with a few details added.

That being said, I will eventually make a video where I'll show how to do panel detailing and highlighting after the wash over the basecoat has dried in lieu of drybrushing.

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2016, 18:45:48 »
So I started my first ever mini paint session, and I was getting a lot of microbubbles constantly off my brush. I watered my Model Colour 1:1 and used a #2 brush. Does anyone know why I'm getting the bubbles? I shook the pot for quite a while. Should i let the pot sit for a bit after shaking?

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2016, 00:37:06 »
So I started my first ever mini paint session, and I was getting a lot of microbubbles constantly off my brush. I watered my Model Colour 1:1 and used a #2 brush. Does anyone know why I'm getting the bubbles? I shook the pot for quite a while. Should i let the pot sit for a bit after shaking?

I've on occasion experienced microbubbles with paints that haven't given me the problem in another sessions. For that reason I don't think it is the paint itself. When it started happening I did two things that seemed to help settle it down.
1. Added a more paint into the mixture so it was a bit thicker.
2. Slowed down the speed of my brush strokes.

I was hoping someone with a definitive answer might jump in before I did because I would like to know a surefire cure too.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2016, 00:54:17 by SC_Dave »

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2016, 00:53:10 »
That being said, I will eventually make a video where I'll show how to do panel detailing and highlighting after the wash over the basecoat has dried in lieu of drybrushing.

I think your video is a great resource for beginners wanting to get a bunch of decent looking miniatures on the tabletop fast. It would have been awesome to have had such a video 25-30 years ago when I first started painting mechs. I eventually cracked a similar technique after reading the advice in the Battletech Compendium.

I look forward to seeing your video on panel detailing and highlighting. I've tried doing what was described in publications such as Combat Manual: Mercenaries but haven't had much luck. I've had better results working backwards, i.e. starting with the lighter colour and going darker toward the centre of the panel. So far I've also only been trying it on select panels and haven't tried panel detailing a whole mech.

If you're open to requests for videos, I'd like to see some suggestions on how to handle camouflage schemes.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2016, 12:54:56 »

You probably had your paint too thin. Good shaking can do that to paint that is too thin. I put a small metal clipping from model sprue into each of my paint bottles so it agitates better and I don't have to shake as much.

Brush technique can also come into play as mentioned before. If you try to go too fast with a fairly stiff brush, you'll see bubbles as the bristles "flick" back onto the model.

Additionally, some colors/brands of paint are more prone to bubbles so there are a number of factors. Just take your time, thin gradually and maybe shake a bit less.   O0

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2016, 14:01:08 »
I think your video is a great resource for beginners wanting to get a bunch of decent looking miniatures on the tabletop fast. It would have been awesome to have had such a video 25-30 years ago when I first started painting mechs. I eventually cracked a similar technique after reading the advice in the Battletech Compendium.

I look forward to seeing your video on panel detailing and highlighting. I've tried doing what was described in publications such as Combat Manual: Mercenaries but haven't had much luck. I've had better results working backwards, i.e. starting with the lighter colour and going darker toward the centre of the panel. So far I've also only been trying it on select panels and haven't tried panel detailing a whole mech.

If you're open to requests for videos, I'd like to see some suggestions on how to handle camouflage schemes.

Thanks for the feedback and the reason I'm doing these videos is to provide assistance in a way that both you and I didn't have twenty years ago learning to paint.  I would like to do some camouflage tutorials as well, once I get more established in my video creation and get the videos for beginners finished up.

Just posted a new one about tools that will be a series on miniature prep.

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2016, 20:07:28 »
You probably had your paint too thin. Good shaking can do that to paint that is too thin. I put a small metal clipping from model sprue into each of my paint bottles so it agitates better and I don't have to shake as much.

Brush technique can also come into play as mentioned before. If you try to go too fast with a fairly stiff brush, you'll see bubbles as the bristles "flick" back onto the model.

Additionally, some colors/brands of paint are more prone to bubbles so there are a number of factors. Just take your time, thin gradually and maybe shake a bit less.   O0

Thanks! I'll try 2 drops paint to 1 drop water and try slowing down my painting.