Author Topic: Testors' Enamels  (Read 2362 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Testors' Enamels
« on: 01 February 2017, 22:01:45 »
So was in the local hobby store today while picking up another hobby knife I stopped to look at the paints they had.

Has anyone tried using enamels on their minis? How does it turn out? Worth it? Or something to stay away from?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Re: Testors' Enamels
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2017, 09:08:10 »
Advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to your painting skills and comfort trying new things. Enamels are great for blending and for washes - nothing flows like enamels. However, the cleanup and brush maintenance is much more difficult in my experience. I generally use them for a very limited number of things. If you do want to experiment, I'd say Humbrol paints are probably one of the best out there. It's been a long time since I've used Testors. They're also great in an airbrush, but again, cleanup will be much messier.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2017, 13:37:43 »
Water based paints are the way to go. Quicker brush cleanup with water, more color selections and they don't smell like enamels either.

I started out with Testors paints way back in 1987. My friend lent me some of his water based paints to use in 1991 and I never looked back.

One caveat, Testors Dullcoat is the exception. It is a good dull coat sealer that I have used many times and always with good results. Just shake the can aggressively for 10 minutes before using.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2017, 17:38:10 »
We have a guy here in town who does amazing work (as in, wins national contests for his fantasy minis) using enamels. We admire his work... but think he's crazy.  >:D
Aside from the fact that using any solvent-based paint requires extra precautions (fresh air!), I use an airbrush, which makes those precautions both far more important and far more involved. I recognize enamels' usefulness in doing fine detail work (the blending that can be done... <sigh>), but unless that's your goal, stick with acrylic.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2017, 17:45:42 »
I started out with Testors paints way back in 1987. My friend lent me some of his water based paints to use in 1991 and I never looked back.

Started with enamels back in the 1970s - think 1:32-scale F-4. Started on BT minis with enamels. About 2005 or so, converted to acrylics. Would never go back. Admittedly, I lack the skill levels where enamels may offer some specific advantages.

Simply the quick drying time. You can't continuous-assembly-line enamels.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2017, 14:25:51 »
I use Testors acrylics...  they're easier to use.  I never had luck using enamels, but there are people who swear by them.

I actually want to get into airbrushing.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2017, 13:29:25 »
I can't see any upside to enamels these days. With the boom in quality acrylics, why would you need to keep mineral spirits and other nasty solvents around when all you really need is a couple of cups of water?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2017, 09:36:38 »
I used enamels to great effect for a long while, but water clean up just makes acrylics so much better.

I felt like I betrayed my long time enamel collection when I bought those acrylics, but they are just so much easier.

Though I will still go for Testors for metallics.  They are beautiful.