Author Topic: Overlord-Two details?  (Read 2985 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Overlord-Two details?
« on: 08 February 2017, 14:16:17 »
Do we have anything more than 3057's description for it?  A record sheet, maybe?  Mostly, I'm wondering what kind of vehicle bays (heavy or light) replaced the mech bays, and what they did with the rest of the freed up tonnage (since even heavy vehicles would leave an extra 1200 tons to play with).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: Overlord-Two details?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2017, 16:19:51 »
I think it would just be heavy bays, not the heavy and light bays that replace the mech bays in a Lee, The 1200 extra tones left over would be good to keep for supplies, as most vehicles burn through fuel, ammo and armor at prodigious rates. You also have to account for all the extra passengers the vehicles require. Figure 4 or 5 on average per vehicle. I would not count out having a infantry company or even a battalion on board, though that really starts to stretch supplies, waste management and air/water recycling.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2017, 19:29:21 »
Heavy vehicle bays support 8 personnel each, so that shouldn't be a problem by itself.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2017, 11:41:06 »
Heavy vehicle bays support 8 personnel each, so that shouldn't be a problem by itself.

Provide space for bunks and tech stations, yes, provide life support, food and water, no.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2017, 12:38:49 »
...provide life support, food and water, no.

Are you sure about that?  I'm sure I remember that transport bays *do* provide "quarters" for the unit crew (plus an astech, in the case of ASF and 'Mech bays).  The issue is that the accommodations are less luxurious than proper quarters.  (However "luxurious" steerage-class quarters may be)

And from a rate-of-consumption point of view, transport bays make less efficient use of expendables like air, food, & water. 

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2017, 14:30:37 »
Are you sure about that?  I'm sure I remember that transport bays *do* provide "quarters" for the unit crew (plus an astech, in the case of ASF and 'Mech bays).  The issue is that the accommodations are less luxurious than proper quarters.  (However "luxurious" steerage-class quarters may be)

And from a rate-of-consumption point of view, transport bays make less efficient use of expendables like air, food, & water.

I always understood quarters as just Bunkspace for crew and a Room for the commander, as in stacked bunks on the wall for crew and a small box, with a fold out soda/bed and desk for the commander, if even that. No shower, no mess hall, no air, water, or food.

The 3 tons for steerage passengers, includes the wall bunk, communal shower, communal mess hall/kitchenete, and HVAC connections. Food and Water was and AFAIK is separate.

Though I haven't committed the most recent rule books to memory.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2017, 18:44:47 »
StratOps page 44 has the correct values for the various consumption rates:
"Infantry bays (and the quarters included in other combat unit bays) are hardly a better choice, requiring 1 ton of consumables per day per 20 people..."

This compares with 1 ton of consumables (i.e., food, air and water) per day per 5 people in cargo bays, and 1 ton of consumables per day per 200 people in quarters (the latter is from StratOps page 155; the other figure for personnel in cargo bays on page 155 is incorrect per this ruling).

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2017, 18:56:10 »
StratOps page 44 has the correct values for the various consumption rates:
"Infantry bays (and the quarters included in other combat unit bays) are hardly a better choice, requiring 1 ton of consumables per day per 20 people..."

This compares with 1 ton of consumables (i.e., food, air and water) per day per 5 people in cargo bays, and 1 ton of consumables per day per 200 people in quarters (the latter is from StratOps page 155; the other figure for personnel in cargo bays on page 155 is incorrect per this ruling).

Wow I've done a lot of arguing in favor of housing mechwarriors in dropships retrofitted with quarters rather than making them live in farted-up mech transport bays, and I never realized there was errata on it making transport bays twice as bad as I already thought they were.

Edit: NM misread the linked post.  Pax as Cargo is worse than I realized; no change to Pax in bays.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2017, 19:01:12 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2017, 19:34:58 »
Yeah, quarters are ten times better than dedicated bays (and 40 times better than cargo bays), but that only matter if your intended mission profile is ten times longer...  I've advocated for quite some time now that Small Craft at least be returned to allowing bay quality quarters for crew (as in the original printing of StratOps, but errata'd away).  Endurance is a mission profile question, and designers should be allowed to take advantage of it.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2017, 11:37:46 »
I designed an Overlord 3057 with the contents of One bay being different and replace the armor with ferro Aluminum to increase the Threshold number to barely adequate levels ( sometimes )  . With the better Aerospace fighters and Pocket Warships during the Jihad and after , the need for a new generation of military drop ships is huge as it is easy to envision that a wing of 3075 + aerospace fighters can prevent any intact landing from any world and any strategically significant world would also have pocket war ships as well .  Even when the armor switch works the cost of armor replacement can become prohibitive and as such reduces profit to the point it was a bad idea to take the contract in the first place . Normally I remove 12 mechs and add 20 - (22 )  light bays and 1 super heavy bay and maybe some squads of battle armor and cargo . I keep  24 mechs and 6 Areospace fighters in place .This gives the raw numbers to have an attacking force AND a LZ perimeter defense in one ship .  Though Some Salvage equipment is included a second drop ship dedicated for the purpose would be fare more ideal for any protracted contracts or engagements . This is as close to ideal that I could get with the Overlord . The later the ERA the less ideal this  poor solution gets . This set up gets me a combined arms unit on  the ground with 1 drop ship only the Conquistidor has that from the get go before modification . Sadly that drop ship is too hard to get your hands on and carries too many assets in one ship to risk getting intercepted  and having everyone one it killed . The best that can be done is the best that can be down ; all you can hope it is good enough .

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2017, 23:00:15 »
Do we have anything more than 3057's description for it?  A record sheet, maybe?  Mostly, I'm wondering what kind of vehicle bays (heavy or light) replaced the mech bays, and what they did with the rest of the freed up tonnage (since even heavy vehicles would leave an extra 1200 600 tons to play with).

Fixed that for you :)

I do not believe there has ever been a RS for either the Overlord-Vehicle or the Overlord-Command.

The original fluff was "A Company of Heavy Tanks" from DS&JS IIRC.

I saw a non-canon RS in HMAero once that had a company each of Light & Heavy Bays just to use up the extra tonnage.  (I much prefer the idea of 600 tons of cargo instead of that Light Company)

Finally we have the Dictator-Command variant that does have a RS IIRC & actually makes it a company & a half of Heavy Vehicles (18) to carry the "Regimental Support Group" or something like that, which could be used as an example of how the Overlord would do its vehicle variant.

In the entire Inner Sphere, I'm sure all 3 of them could be found at some point or another.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register