Author Topic: Painting box idea  (Read 3837 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Painting box idea
« on: 08 January 2017, 16:26:45 »
Many many years ago, I thought I was being clever by sticking the house of a vacuum into the box I was using to spray paint minis and having it suck out all the fumes.   I thought it was working until the first time I used a white primer(stronger fumes for whatever reason).   Turned out while it had sucked the fumes out of the box, it also just threw them back out into the basement I was painting in.   Right outside my bedroom.   Yeah, didn't sleep well that night. 

The other day, it occurred to me that they make respirators for painting.  More importantly, those respirators use replaceable filters.  Filters that I should be able to affix to a hole in a box and rig a vacuum up to.  In theory, the vacuum should keep the fumes from escaping the box while the filter should stop the fumes from just passing through the vacuum.

This all sounds too easy for me to have not heard of it before, so what am I missing here?  How bad of an idea is this?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

greasyspoon

• Corporal
Re: Painting box idea
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2017, 12:56:18 »
I have seen these.  They have hose would run to a box with charcoal filters and they air filter out.  Saw one that home made that ran to a box filled with water the an air event with charcoal filters.  Thinking the water would  catch some of the particles and fume and help the filter last longer.    I have no idea how well the work have not seen them in person.  I figure enough filter should work but you will need a strong fan to push the air though the filters. 

As far as fans go it is easier for them to pull air then to push it.  So if you have  booth-->hose/filter-->Fan it will work better than Booth-->Fan-->Filter. 

It is best is run the hose to window and just vent outside.  I do this. when it is cold I put towel in the windows to keep the cold out.  But I know this is not an option sometimes.

This is very similar to my first spaybooth.  I a cardboard box in front of the fan

« Last Edit: 09 January 2017, 12:59:25 by greasyspoon »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2017, 12:35:05 »
I agree -- if you're working with solvent-based spray paints, just vent to the outside. Lungs (and health in general) are not a place to try to save money.

Remember to open a second window for fresh air to enter to replace the air you suck out, unless you live in an old house (those are leaky enough you don't need to open another window).

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2017, 09:07:48 »
This is very similar to my first spaybooth.  I a cardboard box in front of the fan

I have one sort of like this as well. Strangely it seems a used furnace filter works better for capturing the paint particles. I guess it's because the dust and stuff that's built up on the filter helps capture more, but I don't know that for sure.

And you mention you've seen respirators for painting, why not just buy one? I have one from Home Depot that cost me about $30. Combine that with your fans and outdoor venting and you're protected. Like Joel47 says, the respirator is cheaper than new lungs. :)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2017, 10:40:53 »

And you mention you've seen respirators for painting, why not just buy one? I have one from Home Depot that cost me about $30. Combine that with your fans and outdoor venting and you're protected. Like Joel47 says, the respirator is cheaper than new lungs. :)

Trying to find a way to spray paint inside a 1 bedroom apartment during the winter.  I'd pretty much have to wear the mask to bed that night.

Might have to find a way to rig up a box with a fan and filter all together that I can prop up in the window.  Don't want to use a full size box fan though.  Rather not have the window all the way open when it's 10 degrees out(or 90).
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2017, 10:22:11 »
Trying to find a way to spray paint inside a 1 bedroom apartment during the winter.  I'd pretty much have to wear the mask to bed that night.

Might have to find a way to rig up a box with a fan and filter all together that I can prop up in the window.  Don't want to use a full size box fan though.  Rather not have the window all the way open when it's 10 degrees out(or 90).

FWIW, my local hardware store has little desktop fans like this one. It's maybe 6" in diameter at most. So mount a small filter on it, put it in the box, and use some dryer vent to run it out the window. Maybe block off the rest of the open window with cardboard so cold air doesn't pour in and freeze you to death.

The only problem I see is that the smallest furnace filter I can find is 12" on each side.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2017, 18:44:20 »
Do you have a shopvac that has two hose ports? If so, the second one is for exhaust. You can use a second hose to run it out the window.

With that said, why not get a bottle of brush on primer? Use that when it is too cold to prime outside or keep the window open.

I spray primer 90% of what I paint but brush primer is handy for cold weather and touchups.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2017, 22:07:03 »
Do you have a shopvac that has two hose ports? If so, the second one is for exhaust. You can use a second hose to run it out the window.

I didn't know that was a thing!   I have to look into that.

With that said, why not get a bottle of brush on primer? Use that when it is too cold to prime outside or keep the window open.

I spray primer 90% of what I paint but brush primer is handy for cold weather and touchups.

It's not just the primer though, there's also the seal coat.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2017, 07:05:19 »
Seal coat is very much optional which means it can wait for warm weather. I do believe they make brush on sealer too. That doesn't help with flocking but if you use it for intermediate steps, brush sealer will work.