Author Topic: What stops . . .  (Read 5862 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What stops . . .
« on: 08 March 2017, 17:19:48 »
 . . . someone with enough c-bills from conquering a unaffiliated periphery planet, declaring themselves Duke of Beyond the Border and trying to get that planet admitted to a House under their 'noble' rule?

Would timeframe matter?

Honestly, seems like any of them except maybe the League would accept it.  Capellans especially might see it as enough of a service to the state to become a Citizen.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

idea weenie

• Major
Re: What stops . . .
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2017, 19:49:17 »
The money needed to hire the merc force to conquer the planet and maintain control long enough for the population to be loyal would likely be better used hiring those same mercs and raiding a neighboring Successor State to get loot.  Shorter time frame, richer target, and you don't have to convince the locals to like you, just stay out of your way.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2017, 20:52:29 »
It cannot be too far fetched, its happened in history (hello William & other Normans), and during the MWDA it cropped up on several planets- someone sent in the guns to crush the current government or if more sneaky they engaged in low-intensity warfare to sway the populace.  Once they had knocked out the opposing mechs/armor/BA/infantry, they settled in to take over . . . until the plucky band of heroes stopped them!
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2017, 22:37:06 »
I would think the big issue would be "Why would the House want a new Periphery planet?" Its a former Periphery planet that was unaffiliated, so its technology is going to be very limited. Its population is going to be limited as well.

Limited tech, limited population, and most likely its going to be a drain on whatever House you're going to join. Sure, they may so okay, but I would think the response is going to be "Meh," unless you have something big to offer.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2017, 06:52:28 »
I would think the big issue would be "Why would the House want a new Periphery planet?" Its a former Periphery planet that was unaffiliated, so its technology is going to be very limited. Its population is going to be limited as well.

Limited tech, limited population, and most likely its going to be a drain on whatever House you're going to join. Sure, they may so okay, but I would think the response is going to be "Meh," unless you have something big to offer.

Pretty much this.  A Great House would accept your oath of loyalty but they aren't likely to invest a lot of money into a Periphery planet unless a hidden source of Germanium is found, a 'Mech factory that could be brought back into operation (like Son Hoa), the world is one they wanted to keep but previously lost to another power (another House or Periphery power) and couldn't redeploy their own forces from more important theaters to retake it or something like that.  Basically it has to be a world they value for them to take more than a passing interest in it.  In most cases at best they would send a couple of government bureaucrats and some intelligence agents (to look for potential spies/saboteurs). 
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2017, 08:46:09 »
You mean a planet that the House has ignored conquering for centuries? You might as well conquer Greenland and see if anyone is willing to lend you legitimacy.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2017, 11:30:26 »
Alright, so is it a matter then of population and location?  A periphery world is that much different than Hall- which invited the FWL in during the 3060s and had a BN dispatched?
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2017, 11:43:11 »
Something like that. All the good near-Periphery worlds belong to a potent Periphery nation or were absorbed into a House during the Successor Wars. When a new one pops up, like Detroit after all that money was poured into it, it got gobbled up.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2017, 12:09:46 »
Also, pirates.  As a house member, the place is no longer "off the radar" and is likely to get hit by more and bigger pirates, some of whom might not have noticed/known of the world when it was independent.  Sure, you can probably use your conquering mercenary forces to defend it in the short term, but the House may see it as a long-term drain on their military resources, not to mention any economic aid they have to pump into it to bring it up to a technology level where the locals aren't limitleslly impressed by a Model T.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2017, 12:15:50 »
The periphery would would have to have something very important, Harjel, Germanium, A WOB or 1st SL Weapons Supply Cache/Factory/Depot, A Castle Brian, or Castle Port. The IS has people, the IS has common resources in vast numbers, without the cherry on top there would be no reason for a house or even a clan to annex a periphery world. The MOC, Taurians, OA, they my bring more planets into the fold, but it would either need to be a formerly abandoned world or have a cherry on top.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2017, 12:19:14 »
It also depends on when and where.  Pre-4th War, Hanse was actively encouraging colonization in the Outback.  In that era, and on that border, you could probably get membership, a title, a visit from a Vagabond School, and a jumpship loaded to the brim with colonists just by sending a politely worded letter to New Avalon.  OTHO, any time between 3050 and 3085, everyone who was anyone was too busy to care about your stupid, worthless little world full of hicks.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2017, 12:20:51 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2017, 12:40:54 »
You'd probably be more likely to get recognition from an opposing House just to make the House you are bordering more nervous about having an enemy staging base in their back yard.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2017, 12:44:23 »
You mean a planet that the House has ignored conquering for centuries? You might as well conquer Greenland and see if anyone is willing to lend you legitimacy.

Adding this to my to-do list...
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2017, 12:53:42 »
Better to go with Antartica.  Greenland is already run by the Danes.
Sunrise is Coming.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2017, 13:43:05 »
Just take the northern half, no one will mind.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2017, 02:39:23 »
Or notice.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2017, 13:40:14 »
. . . someone with enough c-bills from conquering a unaffiliated periphery planet, declaring themselves Duke of Beyond the Border and trying to get that planet admitted to a House under their 'noble' rule?

The Gray Death Legion?

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2017, 02:59:53 »
The Gray Death Legion?
For the win!!!!! O0
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2017, 04:20:33 »
The periphery would would have to have something very important, Harjel, Germanium, A WOB or 1st SL Weapons Supply Cache/Factory/Depot, A Castle Brian, or Castle Port. The IS has people, the IS has common resources in vast numbers, without the cherry on top there would be no reason for a house or even a clan to annex a periphery world. The MOC, Taurians, OA, they my bring more planets into the fold, but it would either need to be a formerly abandoned world or have a cherry on top.

So... Tortuga by the 3060s thanks to that Mech assembly facility the pirates with WoB help put together?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2017, 08:38:50 »
The cost of taking (or should I say trying to take) and hold the world would be far too high.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Karimancer

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2017, 13:57:18 »
Don't you think calling Vengeance Incorporated a "Mech assembly facility" is a little generous? "Facility" implies planning, organization and at least a smidge of refinement. If building Mechs was like making alcohol then everything I've read about VI makes them the equivalent of an inmate brewing up some pruno in their cell toilet.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2017, 14:02:20 by Karimancer »

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2017, 14:27:10 »
Don't you think calling Vengeance Incorporated a "Mech assembly facility" is a little generous? "Facility" implies planning, organization and at least a smidge of refinement. If building Mechs was like making alcohol then everything I've read about VI makes them the equivalent of an inmate brewing up some pruno in their cell toilet.

Plus, I think the only thing that makes it work is the fact that they steal most of their components, rather than buying them.  Does tend to keep costs down, but not really a good long term strategy if you're looking to go main stream.

But, for a would be conqueror it would be a cost benefit thing.  Tortuga would be a decent prize, but it's too tough to take with a cheap and cheerful company or even battalion, since someone already did exactly what is proposed: took over a bunch of worlds and declared themselves king.  Sure, if you had a crack regiment with your own transport and the willingness to soak up losses, you could probably pull it off and be King of Tortuga.  Pay your crack regiment off with their own fiefdoms. But I don't know that there's enough wealth to be extracted to make it worth your crack regiments time.  May as well just go mercenary, make some money and try for a fiefdom of your own in the Inner Sphere.

I think it would likely go all the way down.  Sure, you could take over one of those lost OA worlds with a company of infantry, but you'd also then be half the world's population, and it would never be worth your while.  There's just not enough wealth on these to provide a return.  I suppose if you just want the title, to be able to say you rule in Hell rather than serving in Heaven, it might be worth your cash, but I think having a mid sized city of your own on an industrialized world would be a better prize. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Register