Author Topic: Random Trait Questions  (Read 1628 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Random Trait Questions
« on: 26 March 2017, 04:19:00 »
So I know how I've been handling it, which is basically counting it as part of the Phenotype cost, but how do people handle the traits that are granted to you as part of the Phenotype?

Such as the Aerospace Phenotype that nets you Glass Jaw, a -3 TP Trait. Do you just add it and let it go, counting the points taken as part of the Phenotype cost, or do you count it like any other trait given and effectively gain 300 XP?

The second question is kind of an odd one.

When does a negative trait no longer function? ATOW states that "The effects of a given Trait (or a given level of multi-level Trait) do not apply unless the full XP cost (or value) for that Trait has been reached."

So if you've got 250 points of XP in Toughness, you don't have that Trait until you reach 300 XP. That makes sense.

But what about negative traits? Lets say I've got Slow Learner at -300 XP, the full Trait. I drop a single XP into it to buy it off (or drop a point into Fast Learner).

Does that drop Slow Learner to -299, and now that its full XP is no longer reached?

Obviously this can only be done during chargen since you can't purchase Fast Learner post-Chargen, but is it possible to game the system such, or am I missing something.

Other than the GM probably smacking you around for it of course :)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Random Trait Questions
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2017, 14:28:58 »
remember there is the "optimization" stage during chargen that's when you are supposed to adjust all the traits to full value. or wipe them out.  IE you have a -125 enemy, during optimization you should either bump it to -200, getting the extra 75 points, or pay the 25 points to bring it to -100, or pay it off completely.

at least that's how I interpreted it.  I would also say that bringing it to the -200 doesn't technically count as part of your "allowed" 500 or 10% "optional" disadvantages as it is bringing it to full value.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 14:48:19 »
Right, but I think he's asking about after character generation.  Personally, as a GM, I wouldn't allow a negative trait to be "deactivated" until it was bought down to a legal level (zero for many, but some others can be had at lesser negative values, representing, e.g., progress made in therapy to overcome compulsions).

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 16:12:51 »
Rules As Written do seem to coincide with Daryk's interpretation.

As for the phenotype part of the question as far as Rules As Written are concerned you do just get those traits without paying/getting any more XP.  But that is a part of what has inspired a few of my house rules, you want the trait you pay for it or you get the XP for it.  I feel that approach actually gives the player a bit more agency over their character and opens up a few more interesting back story possibilities.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 17:01:57 »
Right, but I think he's asking about after character generation.  Personally, as a GM, I wouldn't allow a negative trait to be "deactivated" until it was bought down to a legal level (zero for many, but some others can be had at lesser negative values, representing, e.g., progress made in therapy to overcome compulsions).

Well, during Chargen as well. Basically lets say at the end of Chargen I have -300 XP in Glass Jaw. I also have 150 XP in Toughness. Under the Opposed traits rules, you combine them to cancel each other out. In this case, you wind up with -150 XP in Glass Jaw. During the next phase, Optimization, you reduce Glass Jaw back down to -300 XP.

Now what's to stop you from spending your XP to put some points into Glass Jaw? You can spend XP to completely erase the trait if you wanted, so why can't you spend 150 XP to partially negate it, or just 1? The full value hasn't been reached, so under the rules it shouldn't activate.

Just wondering if I was missing something.

As for phenotype traits, I might just ask the writers at some point.

And another one popped up today. I'm pretty sure I know how it works out, I just can't find the explanation for it.

Clans and Rank/Officer ranks. I swear there's something out there that says Clanners don't have to bother with OCS to take officer ranks, and you just sort of ignore that, but damned if I can find it.

So. How does clanner rank work?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 17:22:16 »
The prohibition on partial negative traits on AToW page 88 should cover character generation.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 17:30:42 »
And page 121-122 for Phenotype.