Author Topic: Baronies of Foxhaven  (Read 32313 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Baronies of Foxhaven
« Reply #60 on: 08 April 2017, 18:01:19 »
That reminds me, I need to stat up the environmentally sealed IndustrialMechs, support vehicles and infantry for Urania.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #61 on: 08 April 2017, 18:14:19 »
Cool... I'm keen to see what you put together.  If they're less than five tons, Trent will probably have a production line just for you... :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 08 April 2017, 21:36:54 »
Cool... I'm keen to see what you put together.  If they're less than five tons, Trent will probably have a production line just for you... :)

Ever seen the Lunar Rover? ;)

Code: [Select]
Motorized Platoon (XCT Laser)
IS advanced

BV: 137
Cost: 3,883,031.91 C-bills

Movement: 3/3

Men: 28 (7/4)
Armor: 2.0 (Spacesuit)

Primary Weapon: Laser Rifle
Secondary Weapon: SRM Launcher (Std, Two-Shot) (1)
Damage per trooper: 0.403

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Laser Rifle                    MEN     0
Swarm Mek                      MEN     0
Stop Swarm Attack              MEN     0
Leg Attack                     MEN     0

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Environment Suit, Marine       MEN

Also, two versions of the Patron, sealed for use in space mining operations.

First, the straight loader:

Patron LoaderMech (Sealed)
IS TW non-box set
15 tons 
BV: 73
Cost: 612,021 C-bills

Movement: 2/3
Engine: 30 Fuel Cell
BAR Rating: 5
Heat Sinks: 1
Cockpit: Industrial Cockpit
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 26 Industrial
Armor: 24/55 Commercial
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso                5        3
Center Torso (rear)                  2
Right Torso                 4        2
Right Torso (rear)                   2
Left Torso                  4        2
Left Torso (rear)                    2
Right Arm                   2        2
Left Arm                    2        2
Right Leg                   3        2
Left Leg                    3        2

Industrial                     None
Commercial                     None
Environmental Sealing           LL
Mounted Searchlight             LT
Lift Hoist                      RT
Cargo (0.5 tons)                CT

Dropped to commercial armor to make room for environmental sealing.

Second, the miner:

Patron LoaderMech (Sealed Mining)
IS TW non-box set
15 tons 
BV: 77
Cost: 569,276 C-bills

Movement: 2/3
Engine: 30 Fuel Cell
BAR Rating: 5
Heat Sinks: 1
Cockpit: Industrial Cockpit
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 26 Industrial
Armor: 24/55 Commercial
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso                5        3
Center Torso (rear)                  2
Right Torso                 4        2
Right Torso (rear)                   2
Left Torso                  4        2
Left Torso (rear)                    2
Right Arm                   2        2
Left Arm                    2        2
Right Leg                   3        2
Left Leg                    3        2

Industrial                     None
Commercial                     None
Environmental Sealing           LL
Mining Drill                    RA
Mounted Searchlight             LT
Cargo (0.5 tons)                CT
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #63 on: 08 April 2017, 23:09:44 »
Since Trent makes light vehicles (<5 tons), would the Duke let them get away with having more vehicles?  I was thinking of upping the Barony's forces to a company each of jeeps and rocket trucks (i.e., 16 more vehicles total, 8 of each).

I don't imagine it would be a problem.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 09 April 2017, 04:57:12 »
Excellent, thanks!  Also, I'm working up Baron Trent in AToW.  It looks like I'll need to bend the rules a little to afford both the Title (+6) and Property (+6) that goes along with it.  I fortuitously picked six kids early on (-12 for Dependents), exactly balancing out with the minor complication of exceeding the "bought XP" limit (of -5 TP).  Paying for Battalion Commander rank also hurt, but I think is appropriate.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #65 on: 09 April 2017, 11:11:39 »
How extensive would the mech repair facilities of the barons be? I'm considering working up a Forestry Mech refit, that North Point worked up in secret.

Also, are there any programs for making the support vehicles?
And the custom infantry?
« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 11:13:42 by glitterboy2098 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 09 April 2017, 12:37:45 »
I did the support vehicles by hand, but I think there's a spreadsheet somewhere on the boards...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #67 on: 09 April 2017, 14:30:53 »
I see we have roads and airstrips, but I'm noticing the lack of Rails here!

So Daryl, I'm starting a train!

The Von Strong Express runs regularly scheduled stops at every Barony from the northern most to the coast line. No questions asked all subject to the Ducal's terms. While this allows much cargo to be transferred without incident, occasionally the train may suffer a set back due to political debates, like civil strife. Huhtamaki Foodservices are a major supply company located on the Grand Duke's Barony. Supplying foodstuffs, light medical and caffeinated smokes for the fine aficionados. Also located here is Foxhaven Breweries, home to the Brown Liquor in a Can! label, a fine light malted beer made with roasted treenut, 8% alcohol content per can. Also produced is a sweet Merlot produced by the fruits of Greenfan Barony, pars well with the Jewelled Crab.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #68 on: 09 April 2017, 14:59:06 »
Excellent!  I figure it parallels the F1 roadway connecting the Duke's hold to Trent, and on to the north.

The T1 is the primary ring road around Trent, connecting all of the Barony's outlying communities to the F1 in two places (north and south).  The T2 dissects the circle running east-west, and crosses the F1 in Trenton itself.

Road maintenance consumes quite a bit of the Barony's resources, but provides jobs to a not insignificant number of residents.  The Baron maintains a paving capability as the greater part (2/3s) of his Engineering company. It maintains proficiency by working on the roads around the "castle".

1st Trenton Engineers:
4 Engineering Vehicles (one stock (back hoe and lift hoist), one with a pile driver, one with a rock cutter and mining drill, and one with a bulldozer, chainsaw, and light bridging capability)
8 vehicles to support paving operations (miller, bulldozer, earth mover, grader, paver, compactor, and two dump trucks with trailers to move the others)

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 09 April 2017, 15:52:36 »
Barony of New Uttarak

New Uttarak's rugged terrain promotes an independent mindset despite it being in the midst of others' lands.  The economy is based on mining and forestry, but there are pockets of farmland in the valleys.  The region is large, but sparsely populated.  The land is ruled by the Apte family which has cultivated a reputation for fiercely upholding their autonomy while opposing any baron who seeks to increase his power relative to the others.  The Apte's believe that they enjoy greater independence as a matter of legal privilege, and can lecture extensively on the historical precedent of their status.  Of greater practical effect, New Uttarak's geography limits the value of the Grand Dukes combat vehicles.  Nevertheless, the autonomy of the Aptes is fairly limited in practice, not least because their constant declarations have led to resentment among the other barons.

Baron Kiaan Apte
Now in his late 70s, Kiaan was once a fairly good Mechwarrior.  He still sometimes climbs into his Grasshopper "Mountain King."  Subordinates and visitors are encouraged to mistake the name of the mech as Kiaan's own title.  It is his greatest disappointment in life that none of his offspring are worthy to pilot it.  Kiaan has tried to impress on the Grand Baron that his forces are best used as an independent command to exploit terrain and harass or flank any invader.

Mechwarriors:

Lady Maria Apte - GHR-5H "Mountain King"
Maria was recruited from off-world to marry Kiaan's eldest grandson and join house Apte.    Her ability to pilot a Grasshopper and her willingness to disown her first child (the deceased father's family was paid off to take him) were the main considerations.  She is now in her mid 30s with one child in the Apte line.

Horace Bao - WVE-6N "Royal Squire"
Horace is a family retainer who has inherited his duties from his mother who suffered serious injury after landing the mech on a ledge that gave way.  Horace is a solid gunner, but his piloting lacks confidence.  In combat his role is to provide backup to the Mountain King.

James Grace - PXH-1 "Prospector"
The Phoenix Hawk is considered ideal for long patrols in the Baron's extensive lands.  James is an experienced pilot and New Uttarak native who often operates alone and has the mountain man look to match his duties.  As part of a lance, James acts as scout.

Tyrone Pan - STG-A5 (LAM) "Overseer"
Tyrone is a former ASF pilot, brought in to handle house Apte's lone LAM.  Tyrone rarely fights as part of a lance.  Instead he is expected to join forces with the planet's other air assets in the event of an attack.  Kiaan considers this contribution to make up for his reluctance to send any other forces outside his lands.  The LAM is also used as rapid response force where just having a mech in time is all that is needed.  Many escalating disputes within New Uttarak have been squelched by the timely arrival of the Overseer.
Here is my AU story set in the Free Rasalhague Republic.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52953.0

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 09 April 2017, 17:23:33 »
I would like to make another NPC barony that others can have a dispute with, Pirate Barony of Oto Islands.

( Since 40% of this land has water, thinking level 3 depth for the most part if playing tabletop for severe shallow waters and level 2 in more common areas. ) Why not use your Sailing rules you've made Liam? Get some wood on wood action with minor steel boats, say no bigger than Type C as the " super versions" with Type B being more common size in both container and battleship.

Pirates of Oto Barony:
Both East and West hate each other and would love to take over, but they're direct cousins to the Grand Duke himself. And as such, would have their collective butts handed to them by his lordship. So they prey on passing ships of the other Baronies and send a good quarter of it on to the dukes' private coffers as payment to look the other way. As a Galapagos Island chain, their exact bases are well hidden. Only working together to protect their homelands and such, they rather not see eye to eye as both claim ownership of the islands.

East Oto:
2x Atlas-7RS
1x Stinger-3G

West Oto:
Awesome-8T
Awesome-8T
3x Stinger-3G

They have a large wooden fleet of Skiffs, Single and Double sail sailing ships, and recently they have begun upgrading their ships with heavy armor over wooden hulls, a true Ironclad. Simple ICE engines are also being put to use, ( think early Steampunk-era ) with rumors of a Type C craft being built using captured " Salvage " to increase their presence.

Native foods include tropical fruits, small shellfish, Foxhaven Salmon: a type of largish Tuna-like fish found off the chain in warm water and the Oto-Squidd: another edible type of purple colored seven armed Cephalopod that has a nasty habit of squirting a greenish-red ink when startled. On the few volcanic islands, natural metal deposits can be found. Aquaculture is another way of farming, but underwater producing the same quantity as farms at Greenfan annually. Try as they might the Jewelled Crab doesn't survive well, even in correct atmosphere.

( I really hope you guys would see such as a thing as a nuisance, but a necessary evil... And fun to have! )

TT
« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 17:25:04 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #71 on: 09 April 2017, 19:24:09 »
Assuming anyone can enter how about this one something a little different.  The exact weapons manufactured is intentionally vague (I was thinking small SRM and LRM launchers, the laser family Small, Medium Large as well as conventional guns)

Middleton Manufacturing (Barony of Middleton)

The Middleton family are one of the oldest in the system they’ve been at the heart of trading on the planet thanks to their arms factory which provides various weapons to the planetary Duke and all of the Barons for a fair price.  Unfortunately over the years the factory has failed to attract MechWarriors to its defence leading to the family being forced to contract out to the Barons for their defence this has led to some debts and in some cases “free” weapons being handed out to customers.

Things have changed since the return of Lucas Middleton to the system after leaving eight years ago intent on seeking adventure and fame in the Inner Sphere.  By all accounts Lucas found much adventure fighting either for or against House Davion (exact details are hazy on what he actually did – more below) gaining not only a BattleMech for himself but the loyalty of three other MechWarriors.  With Lucas returning Middleton Manufacturing now has its own defence force of BattleMechs which has put several noses out as Barons who were looking at easy money and cheap weapons are now finding their services not needed and weapons now being charged at full price.

While technically not a Baron Harold Middleton, Lucas’ father, owns the Manufacturing plant and the ground under it as his father did and his father before him.  The factory is built to be defensible, although it is not as well fortified as a purpose built castle, Lucas styles himself as a MechWarrior Knight ready to duel any who challenge him but his father and younger sister instead continue to preach on about the neutrality of the factory and their wiliness to serve any of the planetary forces on the planet.

Harold Middleton, 72, CEO Middleton Manufacturing
Has worked at the factory since he was old enough to pick up the tools needed for the job and has the scars to prove it, on his right hand Harold only has two fingers and a thumb having lost the others in accidents on the factory floor.  He is uncomfortable with his new position as a Baron and has gone to great lengths to continue to promote his factory’s neutrality.  While proud of his son and his accomplishments in the Inner Sphere Harold actually sees Lucas’ younger sister Elle as the heir to his factory.

Elle Middleton, 27, CFO Middleton Manufacturing
Lucas’ younger sister and the Chief Financial officer of the company, across the system she is known to be a shrewd negotiator and someone very dedicated to her father and his legacy.  With Lucas return she is finding it hard to cope with her brother’s immediate fame, her father’s new position as a Baron and her brother’s intention on succeeding their father.

Lucas Middleton, 33, Enforcer ENF-4R (50 tons)
Lucas is by all accounts an accomplished MechWarrior he fights extremely well as part of a lance and his lance mates are personally loyal to him. Where Lucas got his BattleMech, and his Lance’s loyalty, his been wildly speculated with some claiming that Lucas was actually enrolled with House Davion’s military and has gone AWOL with his BattleMechs.  The truth is more benign however as John Petrie, one of Lucas MechWarriors, was in a bar and appears to have let the cat out of the bag.  It appears that Lucas unit was part of a larger mercenary unit that was crushed during one of the Succession Lords petty battles.  Lucas was in command of an ammunition dump and had gathered up nearly 1,000 tons worth of salvage during the fighting for control of the planet.  Instead of fighting Lucas traded the ammunition dump and the salvage for transport off the planet saving the lance.  They then formed their own unit and fought in at least two further battles together before returning to Lucas home on hearing that his mother had died.

John Petrie, 42, Phoenix Hawk PHX-1D (45 tons)
Lucas’ second in command a veteran of several battles but one that is ready to hang up his MechWarrior boots and walk away.  His wife and two young children have come with him to the system looking to start a new life for themselves away from war.  He has already had an argument with Lucas over the younger pilot’s wiliness to pick fights while Harold Middleton wishes for neutrality.

Camilla Daum, 32, Witworth WTH-1 (40 tons)
Shell-shocked, or a more modern term PTSD, sufferer is the best way to describe Camilla.  While an accomplished MechWarrior the battles their lance has been through has taken its toll on Camilla.  While willing to join her lance mates on manoeuvres she is rarely seen in the Mechbay alone.

Megan Perry, 22, Wasp WSP-1D (20 tons)
Daughter of one of Lucas former lance mates who chose to retire the minute he stepped on the planet.  The Wasp she pilots has been in her family for several generations and Megan plans on making sure she lives up to its history.  She is Lucas’ strongest supporter and many believe she has a personal interest in her commander.

Luciano McDonald, 28, Wasp WSP-1A (20 tons)
A native of the Lyran Commonwealth how Luciano joined Lucas team in the Federated Suns is unknown.  He like Megan is a strong supporter of Lucas and has already been involved in two bar brawls following comments that the Lance were AWOL from the AFFS.

Chris Rellah, 53, Stinger STG-3R (20 tons)
Oldest warrior of the extended lance Chris is reportedly ready to retire and looking for someone to take over as pilot of his old Stinger.  A veteran of many battles Chris saw Lucas trip home like the others from their unit, a way to disappear quietly with some of his life intact.  He like John Petrie is happy to remain neutral but unlike Camilla he is seen in the Mechbay daily.

Sarah Lyons, 19, Commando COM-3A (25 tons)
The unit's newest recruit straight from Middleton Manufacturing's Security Forces Sarah Lyons is the daughter of one of Harold Middleton's closest supporters.  When one of Lucas' MechWarriors chose to retire Harold supported her admission to Lucas' unit.  Despite Harold's support Sarah is a larger supporter of Lucas' ideas rather than Harold's stance of neutrality.

Note – unlike other Barons the Middletons do not have a large amount of converted military vehicles instead they have several saloon cars, panel vans, transport trucks and off road transports to support their business.  Many of these could be modified into combat vehicles but that is a path that Harold and Elle Middleton have so far avoided.  A large security force armed with anti-Mech weapons are employed to defend the factory as are two unarmed LoaderMechs while like the vehicles are unlikely to be armed as long as Harold and Elle remain in charge of the company.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 14:29:54 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 09 April 2017, 21:36:43 »
I see we have roads and airstrips, but I'm noticing the lack of Rails here!

So Daryl, I'm starting a train!

The Von Strong Express runs regularly scheduled stops at every Barony from the northern most to the coast line. No questions asked all subject to the Ducal's terms. While this allows much cargo to be transferred without incident, occasionally the train may suffer a set back due to political debates, like civil strife. Huhtamaki Foodservices are a major supply company located on the Grand Duke's Barony. Supplying foodstuffs, light medical and caffeinated smokes for the fine aficionados. Also located here is Foxhaven Breweries, home to the Brown Liquor in a Can! label, a fine light malted beer made with roasted treenut, 8% alcohol content per can. Also produced is a sweet Merlot produced by the fruits of Greenfan Barony, pars well with the Jewelled Crab.

TT
Wait, there's a brewery on the train? ;D

Also, I mentioned Ouachita having some limited railways.  Feel free to pass through, probably toward the eastern coast, where the terrain is better for railways.  Probably passing through/near the major seaport of Graceland and the Ouachita river delta where it's situated.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 22:24:56 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 09 April 2017, 22:33:06 »
Dragon Cat, aren't you missing about 25 tons?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 09 April 2017, 23:02:39 »
i figured that major transportation links would be something better suited for the person organizing the campaign.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 10 April 2017, 05:12:37 »
Dragon Cat, aren't you missing about 25 tons?

Yeah I know I was tempted to replace the Witworth with a Catapult or add another stinger to make up the bug lance
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 10 April 2017, 11:39:01 »
Could throw in a Commando or Intro tech Mongoose.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 10 April 2017, 14:31:20 »
One Commando has been recruited

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 10 April 2017, 17:04:11 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 10 April 2017, 17:18:17 »
Lootbag Commando FTW! :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 12 April 2017, 20:24:26 »
What's the Currency called here?

Just wondering...

Ducal Bucks? Foxhaven Pound? I can see the Jewelled Crab being on the second most expensive one, after the Duke of Foxhaven emblem.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 14 April 2017, 19:14:44 »
A couple more neighbors.

Serenity

The most distant independent system our trading ships have regularly traveled to, Serenity is a former Taurian world abandoned by the Concordat during the early Succession Wars. Though the locals were able to trade gold for manufactured goods, the primary value of the world to us was as a meeting place with merchants from the Taurian Concordat, which regularly visited the planet bringing medical and technical aid. Rumors of a lostech cache on the planet in the 3020s led to a military clash between forces of the Taurian Concordat, Capellan Confederation, and Federated Suns, in the process wiping out the local monarchy and causing significant damage to the world's only major settlement. The political chaos and attempts to rebuild gutted the local economy, though the killing blow only landed in the late 3030s when the gold mines ran dry. Citing a humanitarian crisis, the Taurian Concordat relocated the majority of the population to the nearby new colony of Orkney. Our last visit to the planet found nothing but a few hundred struggling settlers, three hundred of which were allowed to resettle on Foxhaven in exchange for long term labor contracts in the Grand Duke's Landhold.

Tybalt's Farm

Not habitable in any traditional sense, the planet of Tybalt's Farm is covered with a thick, highly toxic atmosphere that has prevented the development of anything but the most basic of invertebrate life. Human habitation is limited to a single domed settlement, originally a long term Star League observation station set up to monitor star formation in the Perseus Cloud and distant California Nebula. The settlement is small, numbering only a few thousand, and is dependent entirely on the technology of the heavily automated, advanced facility they call home. By necessity, this means the settlement is home to a wide cross section of highly skilled engineers, trained using the base's extensive computer databases to keep the place running.

We export primarily raw materials and natural grown food to Tybalt's Farm (the locals otherwise subside on artificial protein supplements synthesized locally). In exchange, the locals are able to produce a wide variety of medications and recreational chemicals at relatively low cost. On occasion, we have also coaxed some of the highly trained engineers onworld to resettle on Foxhaven.

What's the Currency called here?

I'm currently leaning towards the Pound, Shilling, Pence and half Pence. With the shilling being roughly comparable to a C-Bill. Individual baronies might pay their subjects in "work scrip" though.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 16 April 2017, 17:20:00 »
Since we've had a few additions, I've updated the table:

Barony          Author           # of 'mechs    Resources
Greenfan        Tegyrius             4          Agriculture (Fruit, Grain)
Trent           Daryk                4          Agriculture (Cattle), Light Vehicle Manufacturing
Ouachita        Arkansas Warrior     5          Agriculture, Timber, Mining
Okro            Vegam Ranger         5          Mining (Silver, Copper), Insurgents
Port Royale     Colt Ward            5          2 Large Ports, Shipping
Torrealba       Sharpnel             4          Agriculture (Sheep, Cattle), Mining (Bauxite, Copper, Gold), Small Electronics, Household Appliances
Urania          Giovanni Blasini     5          Rare Elements
North Point     glitterboy2098       5          Timber, Ethanol Fuel
Von Strong      truetanker           5          Agriculture (Sheep), Timber
New Uttarak     Siegfried Marcus     4          Mining, Timber, Agriculture
Middleton       Dragon Cat           7          Weapons Manufacturing
Oto (East/West) truetanker          3/5         Aquaculture, Pirates (pending approval from Liam)

If truetanker's two pirate Baronies are approved, that takes us to 13, leaving only the Duke's hold and the "14th" Barony Liam said he'd provide.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 16 April 2017, 17:47:16 »
The''re a single Barony but have a much larger size due to having more island mass. Also they hate each other with a passion, only joining up in defense. Both claim the lordship!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #84 on: 16 April 2017, 17:53:45 »
I thought they would count as two since they each have 220 tons of 'mechs...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 16 April 2017, 18:17:56 »
I'm inclined to either count them as two baronies or mandate a reduction of mechs for each. Can't have Barons grasping above their station and all that...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 18 April 2017, 02:32:47 »
given they are pirates, you could run them as not part of the official baronies. give their mechs unrepaired damage and various negative quirks to reflect poor maintenance. and have them use a mishmash of other vehicles and infantry in raids on occasional the baronies proper. would give the players in the campaign something to fight other than each other at times, and give an interesting outside force that could be recruited (for a time) in whatever schemes the barons cook up.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 18 April 2017, 04:16:56 »
The first part of the writeup concerning the Grand Duke. There's more to come.

House Isaren

Yiris Isaren was not the sort of person one expects to become the ruler of a planet, at least not outside of a low budget holodrama. When he began seeking out the adventurous, unlucky, and desperate to join him in founding a new state in the depths of the Periphery, he was nothing more than a man with an assumed name, no past, a pile of gold from unspecified sources, and a silver tongue to make people forget all that other stuff. He was a talented orator, practically a demagogue who painted a picture of a life of peace, comfort, and prosperity beyond the reach of the Great Houses.

And people bought it. Some out of a naive faith, others playing an angle to enrich themselves, but most out of a hope they could find somewhere where humanity wasn't trying to destroy itself. More than a few figured that, with the Early Succession Wars raging, even if they ended up as subsistence farmers in the middle of nowhere, they'd be ahead of the game.

Instead, Yiris Isaren led his followers to Foxhaven, a planet on nobody's charts over two hundred light years from the borders of regular civilization. And, well, nobody really knew how to react when it turned out to be everything he promised. Foxhaven was rich in life and ripe for colonization, a little arid overall, but with a comfortable climate and plentiful space to settle. Isaren's prescience continued when he claimed a site for his personal landhold, and almost immediately uncovered vast warehouses leftover from Stephan Amaris' hidden army. Though little military equipment was found, the abandoned maintenance works, power generators, and civilian support equipment allowed Isaren to build an impressive hold very quickly, as well as buy enough loyal supporters to protect it. Within a couple of years, Yiris Isaren had proclaimed himself Grand Duke of the Free Duchy of Foxhaven and parceled out substantial landholds to his closest supporters, forming the basis for the system that governs the planet to this day. Those who opposed him, as well as those who claimed there was an obvious, sinister reason Isaren just happened to know how to find a lost base of the Rim Worlds Republic, gradually fell silent as the colony prospered under the rule of the new Grand Duke and his Barons.

House Isaren has ruled Foxhaven to this day, though their rule is far from absolute. Successive Grand Dukes have had to play an at times delicate balancing act to maintain the loyalty of their Barons, the happiness of their subjects, and the fortunes of their own House. Insurrections, internal squabbling, even outright revolts have been a regular fixture of Foxhaven politics since the beginning, and if things have changed, it may only be in intensity, as the relatively weak hand of Grand Duke Alexander Isaren has allowed his adversaries to gather unprecedented amounts of strength.

Lands:

Strictly speaking, all of the land of Foxhaven not already granted to another landholder is the property of the Grand Duke. That being said, only a small fraction of that is actually inhabited, productive territory. The bulk of the Grand Duke's population inhabit cities and towns dotting the Ramsay River Valley, the most densely populated region on the planet. Small farms dot the countryside further inland, thinning out to isolated mining communities as the land shifts from rolling plains to rugged badlands. The Frobisher Hills region shows an abrupt increase in population, though not so much livability as the preponderance of coal mines, Hydrocarbon Reprocessing Plants, and their associated waste storage centers creates a filthy, foul smelling environment even as they serve as home to some of the richest Common families on the planet. Beyond that, there is little official population. The occasional Prospector or Homesteader might be found among the badlands or other untamed territories, but for the most part, the only humans that call these lands home are outlaws, bandits, and others who have every reason to want to disappear. Though the government insists such claims are highly exaggerated, it is often claimed that entire functioning outlaw communities can be found beyond the boundaries of "civilized" Foxhaven.

The core of House Isaren's economic power comes from heavy manufacturing, with production of all manner of goods underway in industrial complexes set up along the Ramsay River. This included production of critical military technologies such as advanced combat vehicles and aircraft, as well as critical components for battlemech and industrialmech construction. These industries are primarily fed by raw materials drawn from the various Baronies, though these sources are suplemented from mining concerns strung along the edges of the arid badlands. Fuel is another major industry for House Isaren, with the Reproccessing Plants of Frobisher Hills able to process coal, oil, waste plastic, and many other forms of organic waste into usable fuel. Though inefficient and painfully dirty relative to the ethanol fuel produced by the Barony of Northpoint, shear volume allows Frobisher Hills to hold control over the bulk of the industry, even though Northpoint fuel is generally preferred by consumers.

House Isaren has surprisingly little direct control over transportation, even when it pertains to the entire planet. None of the Grand Duke's settled territories allow for sea access, and Cyrus Isaren chose to privatize the rail network in the late 30th century as a concession to the Baronies after his unbelievable corruption nearly led to a general revolt. Large scale air travel is still an industry in which House Isaren remains a firm grip, but the relatively sparse population of the planet and rather small populated area makes this something of a niche industry.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 19 April 2017, 04:47:41 »
The writeup continues

SIDEBAR: Who was Yiris Isaren?

Even his most naive follower knew that Yiris Isaren was running from an unknown past when he launched the colonization of Foxhaven. His name couldn't be found in any records available for casual research, and he was studiously ambiguous about just where he got the substantial sums of gold he used to bankroll the expedition. He claimed Persian ancestry and arguably looked the part, but appearance is easy to change, and those looks never really carried forward in his descendants. He spoke English, Farsi, Russian, and Amharic fluently, which doesn't really narrow it down. And even if one could nail down his biological ancestry, it would hardly tell you anything given how heavily mankind has intermingled since they left Terra.

The closest thing to a clue to his origins comes from the colonization of Foxhaven itself. According to captains and navigators from the original expedition, Isaren knew exactly where he was going, and he clearly knew where to establish his personal landhold, right on top of a hidden Rim Worlds base left over from the Periphery Uprising. His reaction might tell us more as well. Far from being overjoyed at the windfall of industrial equipment, his closest supporters report that he seemed almost disappointed that there wasn't more in the cache, with offhand comments suggesting he was expecting a significant military stockpile.

Yiris Isaren's foreknowledge of the Cache clearly narrows his origins down, but there are still many options to choose from. Could he have been a former Rim Worlds official? A periphery revolutionary involved heavily in the Secret Armies? Possibly an SLDF deserter who got the location from a prisoner of war? Petabytes could be wasted speculating, and with Yiris Isaren long dead, no definitive answer is likely to be ever found.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #89 on: 24 June 2017, 14:53:03 »
House Fuchida

Relative new arrivals on Foxhaven House Fuchida were disenfranchised members of the DCMS who came to the deep periphery looking for easy prey where they could establish themselves as a new power far from the horrors of the Succession Wars.  Foxhaven however proved to be more of an opponent than they had planned on and their Dropship was shot down and their Jumpship chased off never to be seen again.

With little choice the survivors established themselves around the remains of their dropship.  This though has probably given them the greatest asset to maintain a level of independence from the Grand Duke.  Through great effort one of the mech cubicles was returned to operation giving House Fuchida a very limited ability to sustain themselves.

As a joke one of the survivors declared the crashed dropship to be Fujiyama because it was now the highest peak in the valley that the survivors now found themselves in.  The name stuck for the settlement that grew up around the site.

This small boon was enough though to draw the attention of several of the other houses and despite having an initial formidable military the single repair bay meant that despite their efforts they are now little better off than their neighbors and having to now rely on small numbers of well trained infantry and a lance of mechs.  This has forced the leadership to adjust their ambitions about conquest over the generations.

While their conflicts have left them at something of a disadvantage against the other Baronies the better working condition of their mechs and stockpile of salvaged parts from mechs they cannot return to service has allowed them some edge in combat.  However their shortage of mechs does mean they have trouble training new mechwarriors if something should befall their existing warriors.

Economically House Fuchida has never had much of a chance to establish themselves as anything more than farmers and as an alternate source of electrical power thanks to the fusion engines salvaged from the mechs they could not return to service.

Unlike most other dynasties House Fuchida is a matralinear house.  Power is passed to the eldest daughter.  Though on a societal level perhaps the biggest problem facing them is as typical of those from the Combine is they are largely xenophobic.  Marriage and interbreeding with outsiders is extremely rare but there were enough survivors from the Dropship and progressively minded individuals that inbreeding is only becoming an issue for the most staunch families of this small house.

Daimyo Fuchida Yurika as the current leader of the house is probably the most formidable leader the House of Fuchida has had in generations.  Quiet and reserved she prefers to allow those around her to exhaust themselves on their own agendas while she works behind the scenes.  This has allowed her to spring some nasty surprises on those that under estimate her due to her small and frail looking frame.  Though her physical condition does make it extremely ill advised for her to actually go into the field with her forces she does have a keen military mind that she does utilize to command from the family stronghold.

Chu-i Fuchida "Aoikami" Nanako QKD-4G Quickdraw(modified) Gunnery 3 Piloting 3 Dodge SPA and Jumping Jack SPA
Nanako is the eldest daughter and heir to the house.  A capable mechwarrior she is an expert at hit and fade tactics and thanks to the three tone blue paint scheme on her Quickdraw she is known as the Blue Spirit.  While she is not as much of an administrator as her mother she is more pragmatic so few worry about the future of the house when she takes over.  A small modification was made to Nanako's Quickdraw to face the rear facing lasers forward instead.

Gunsho Kondo Tamadake SHD-2K Sahdow Hawk Gunnery 3 Piloting 4
It is no secret that Tamadake and Nanako are likely to be married soon as the two have been involved romantically for some time now.  This has never interfered with their combat performance though as both are extremely professional in combat.  Perhaps his greatest strength is in his ability to train and motivate the warriors around him.

Go-cho Heather Neiman PNT-9R Panther Gunnery 4(specialized Energy) Piloting 4
Heather's family is from the Rassalhague district originally but were never all that invested in achieving independence.  Instead they jumped at the chance to get away from the Succession Wars.  The Neiman family is held in high regard by House Fuchida as they have been one of the most faithful families and they have always contributed mechwarriors that would achieve great renown.  Heather herself is still rather young and thus coming into her own trying to live up to her family's legacy but has already shown signs of the family talent for being great warriors.  Perhaps her greatest weakness though is her great beauty and how easily she does get distracted by matters of the heart.  Many worry that she may be wooed away from her post by some noble looking for a wife and with the shortage of trained warriors to take her place House Fuchida could be in a very dangerous position indeed.

Hojuhei Kazayua Rei JR7-D Jenner Gunnery 6 Piloting 6 Natural Aptitude Gunnery
Rei is still very much in training to become a mechwarrior but her marksmanship is already impressive.