Author Topic: Talk to me about SLDF designs that Clanners use: The Pillager etc.  (Read 13949 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
While I know the Exterminator was taken to the Homeworlds its very unclanlike in its design. So assuming it was not scrapped for parts what would a IIC version be like? Who would use it? Hmmmm I imagine the Society would have done nasty things with them

snewsom2997

• Captain
While I know the Exterminator was taken to the Homeworlds its very unclanlike in its design. So assuming it was not scrapped for parts what would a IIC version be like? Who would use it? Hmmmm I imagine the Society would have done nasty things with them

The Society had Omnimechs with Nova CEWS.

The Exterminator is more of a gunslinger mech, the quality of society pilots was to say the least lacking.

However if they did make one, I'd imagine, iATM-9, 4x Improved Heavy Medium Lases, and a LAMS, with DHS.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Have you ever fought against a Society unit with a Cephalus Prime? This thing is hell.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Well, just because a mech was on the first exodus doesn't mean it survived the Pentagon Civil War, the second Exodus, and Klondike.  Aren't we told that as headhunter mechs Exterminators were prime targets?  And even after that there were still a few decades of Clan wars where a mech like an Exterminator might have been used (I can imagine a fair few being used by Clan Mongoose in units that hadn't yet received omnis, meaning they'd have been destroyed by the Jaguars).  Honestly, the Clans just do so much fighting that they turn over mechs in a huge hurry.

The same of course holds true for any other mech.  Sure, we know there were regiments upon regiments stashed away for rainy days, and I suppose its up to any given player what's in them.  But I'd be surprised if any of the really really cool stuff didn't get fished out over the last two centuries.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
hmmm I wonder then what was the main factor for a mech to survive to the 3050ish era

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
The SLDF in Exile took allot of mechs with them: Black Knights, Thugs, Ect. Doesn't mean they should all get the IIC treatment considering the the number new mech being produced.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

snewsom2997

• Captain
hmmm I wonder then what was the main factor for a mech to survive to the 3050ish era

More than likely locked in Cold Storage, because they were unclanlike, or were ineffective.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Has anyone used the Archer C ( or Wolfs Dragoon) clan tech archer? Seems pretty solid

snewsom2997

• Captain
Has anyone used the Archer C ( or Wolfs Dragoon) clan tech archer? Seems pretty solid

The Archer C is meh, solid basic mech, but nothing special, better than an ARC-2R DHS, ER Medium Lasers. However there is a lot of unused space. 10 Tons just from Swapping IS LRMS with Clan LRMS. Personally I would have preferred a Clan Refit of the ARC-2K.

For an indirect Fire mech the ARC-2W it is great in 3025 games, though lacking the 3 tons of armor means you will want to keep it well away from the action.
The ARC-5W is better, as it now has NARC, and XL Engine, DHS and CASE.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
I'll back the above, ARC-5W is a mean son of a bitch. Had a hell of a time killing one in a merc campaign years ago- I ran the OPFOR, and that damned Archer would take a pummeling, shrug it off, and wander home when the fight was over or it had run out of LRMs. Every. Single. Time. It finally took a full alpha-strike from a Stuka to put it down- and it bagged the fighter in the exchange.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
The Archer C is meh, solid basic mech, but nothing special, better than an ARC-2R DHS, ER Medium Lasers. However there is a lot of unused space. 10 Tons just from Swapping IS LRMS with Clan LRMS. Personally I would have preferred a Clan Refit of the ARC-2K. 
I'm pretty sure the Archer-C does NOT have DHS.
Its nothing more than a Field Grade-A refit of clan weaponry, as are "most" of the "C" models from the Twycross book.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
I'll back the above, ARC-5W is a mean son of a bitch. Had a hell of a time killing one in a merc campaign years ago- I ran the OPFOR, and that damned Archer would take a pummeling, shrug it off, and wander home when the fight was over or it had run out of LRMs. Every. Single. Time. It finally took a full alpha-strike from a Stuka to put it down- and it bagged the fighter in the exchange.

Ouch.

I've used the 5S which is similar, but I don't think I've ever seen the 5W on the board in the 25+ years since 3050 came out.  :(

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'm pretty sure the Archer-C does NOT have DHS.
Its nothing more than a Field Grade-A refit of clan weaponry, as are "most" of the "C" models from the Twycross book.
Yup. Straight weapon swap only. 10 tons underweight, generates over three times as much heat as it can dissipate with an alpha strike... With some tweaking, the 'Mech would be monstrous powerhouse from Spheroid perspective.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Apollo's law, lol . . . I think that empty space on all the Cs should have been retcon'd into SHS (Clans salvaged enough) and that would at least make them legit.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
Apollo's law, lol . . . I think that empty space on all the Cs should have been retcon'd into SHS (Clans salvaged enough) and that would at least make them legit. 

Agreed, I always felt if they just added some SHS to make up for the missing weight things would have been MUCH better off.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
It finally took a full alpha-strike from a Stuka to put it down- and it bagged the fighter in the exchange.

I did that with a LB-20X and 3 medium laser armed Thunder once...my 'Mech was still standing and hardly scratched afterwards...his Stuka was a burning lawn dart shredded over half the landscape...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Alas the annilater and shogun mechs are hideous hopefully we get resculpts someday! But what about the Devastor I know only 6 prototypes left with the sldf... What mech would have taken its place?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Alas the annilater and shogun mechs are hideous hopefully we get resculpts someday! But what about the Devastor I know only 6 prototypes left with the sldf... What mech would have taken its place?
SLDF-In-Exile would have had the Imp, the new symbol of the SLDF to be that design.  Thunderhawk would been among those assault mechs too, since it was in the same situation as the Devastator and Pillager.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!

Personal opinion is a rough thing to base plans on though. I'm a fan of the Annihilator's looks, myself.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Personal opinion is a rough thing to base plans on though. I'm a fan of the Annihilator's looks, myself.
Check out Teslacoil's work on the Annie in the Fan Art board; you're in for a treat.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer

I really did not like the look in the tech manuals I read but I really like the artwork I find of it online.  Those versions rock and make me want to play one.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Same. What do you think would be more common in the blood spirits ranks circa 3060ish the emperor or the annihaltor?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
What if any omni design replaced the annihalator?

Maelwys

• Major
So far the Kingfisher is the first Assault Omni that we know about (as far as I know) which shows up lik 30-40 years after the Annihilator, so theoretically that one, but you don't really get a "Slow" assault design until the Dire Wolf in 3010.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
So far the Kingfisher is the first Assault Omni that we know about (as far as I know) which shows up lik 30-40 years after the Annihilator, so theoretically that one, but you don't really get a "Slow" assault design until the Dire Wolf in 3010.
At least not that we know of. There is the possibility of one on TRO: Golden Century, but I haven't seen the unit list so I have no idea if there is one or not.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Is TRO golden century in the pipeline?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Is TRO golden century in the pipeline?
It's on the coming soon page and I haven't heard any news of it being cancelled, just that it's not as far along in production as some of the other stuff mentioned in this thread.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Very cool. I love the IIC and the old school non Omni designs so I am all about this

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Waaay back, it was mentioned that the IICs we'd like new Classic versions aren't in mind for that book unfortunately.  Hopefully that changed, but i remember it being said.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Interesting so are thinking it would be more early omnis or transitional non omnis like the kodiak?