Author Topic: Cruizertech [Rules Tweaking]  (Read 1325 times)

Nester64

• Private
Cruizertech [Rules Tweaking]
« on: 21 April 2017, 15:03:24 »
I like big robots. But I am particular about what kind of big robots I like. I like the big stompy robots, the ugly clumsy ones. The ones more reminiscent of battle tanks rather than suits of armor.

There is a spectrum of big robots. On the one end are the ones indistinguishable from giant metal men, able to move with grace and finesse. Often seen wielding giant laser swords. On the other end are the robots I like, better described as land cruisers than as giant robots at all.

Battletech is great, but it sits closer to the middle than I would like. As such, I would like to propose a project: The minimal change in rules necessary to make Battletech about BattleCruizers rather then BattleMechs. (The change of name is cosmetic only, to distinguish the two rulesets from each other.)

The goals of Cruizertech, from what I can see right now, are as follows:

1: Make hands and other manipulators more costly and less effective. These are warmachines, they shouldn’t be dainty.

2:Make QuadCruizers more worthwhile than QuadMechs. In fact, other mobility types should also be addressed. While wheels, tracks, and massive hovercraft skirts may impinge somewhat on combat vees, Cruizers are more closely related to them than Mechs.

3: Identify and rectify other issues ground those fancy-prancy Battlemechs in gritty stompy glory once and for all!

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I'm not well-versed in the balance of the game, and in a system as complex as this small changes can propagate in a big way. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 21 April 2017, 15:29:35 by Nester64 »

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
Re: Cruizertech [Rules Tweaking]
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2017, 23:27:11 »
... The minimal change in rules necessary...

1: Make hands and other manipulators more costly and less effective. These are warmachines, they shouldn’t be dainty.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I'm not well-versed in the balance of the game, and in a system as complex as this small changes can propagate in a big way. Any suggestions?

Perhaps a change in the artistic aesthetic would go a long way in making Battletech suit your tastes? 
So you're thinking: less of the unnecessarily articulate five fingers of a Shadowhawk's hands, and more of the Awesome's battlefist/claw? 
The thing is, due to abstraction for game purposes, both are considered "hand actuators" and function exactly the same.  Maybe try finding some alternative mecha artwork you like to match the stats?  Or finding artwork you like and building custom mech designs to match?

Within standard rules, having hands really only allows a mech to effectively punch, push and pick up clubs (good fun, though not always the most practical thing to do).  Maybe try playing a few games and you'll see how little having hands (articulate or not) actually makes a difference.  Melee combat doesn't happen too often unless one is playing a game with introtech mechs where the relatively short weapon ranges temp players to get in close for some heat free damage.
If you have an aversion towards melee, you could just simply ignore it. 

Just some thoughts.

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Nester64

• Private
Re: Cruizertech [Rules Tweaking]
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2017, 17:52:05 »
All reasonable suggestions. The problem is, this project is driven entirely by my pettiness. I've always found the '80's future haunting Battletech to be silly. I much prefer more modern takes on walking tanks. MWO is fantastic, aesthetically speaking, but it could go farther.

What I would really like is Chromehounds: the Table-Top game, but that isn't going to happen.

One can dream though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujd9iK689Bg

Register