Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 124834 times)

Demongirl

• Inventor of Orbital Whack-A-Mole
  • Corporal
  • Succubus
    • Gaming Archive
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #60 on: 02 June 2017, 12:07:07 »
Yes.

JAIM KNOWS WHAT IS UP.

*NODNODS*
Walk softly and carry dual LB-10X
If that doesn't work, opt for dual Gauss

BattleCorps: SRV-019D

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 02 June 2017, 16:34:45 »
Trothkin; you mean, you do not!?
The budget has been tight! [soapbox]  That and we're having trouble finding someone who can integrate it with the old SLDF computer systems. :-[

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #62 on: 02 June 2017, 17:18:10 »
The budget has been tight! [soapbox]  That and we're having trouble finding someone who can integrate it with the old SLDF computer systems. :-[
If the budget has been really tight, you should just grab one from the toilet, all our toilets have one.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #63 on: 02 June 2017, 20:21:25 »
If the budget has been really tight, you should just grab one from the toilet, all our toilets have one.

Orbital Bombardment has numerous definitions among the Snow Ravens. 
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 03 June 2017, 00:49:51 »
My button is fancy. It's orange and glows with the bezel around the mounting plate is studded with diamonds and emeralds. I took it as isorla from a pirate on Antallos.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #65 on: 03 June 2017, 04:36:33 »
One of the in universe questions that has vexed me for a while:

So we spent all this effort putting boots on the ground invading Antallos and lost a cluster or two there along the way (per HTP: Antallos) but Antallos isn't part of the RA later on. And it isn't a ghost world (still appears on maps). What gives? Any ideas?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 03 June 2017, 05:08:20 »
At a guess, after eliminating all the pirates, the Raven Khans deemed the world unfit for occupation and left it to its own devices. It willlikely become a haven for pirates once more and then squashed flat ... again
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #67 on: 03 June 2017, 05:23:54 »
At a guess, after eliminating all the pirates, the Raven Khans deemed the world unfit for occupation and left it to its own devices. It willlikely become a haven for pirates once more and then squashed flat ... again
So a pirate farm?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 03 June 2017, 06:47:30 »
One of the in universe questions that has vexed me for a while:

So we spent all this effort putting boots on the ground invading Antallos and lost a cluster or two there along the way (per HTP: Antallos) but Antallos isn't part of the RA later on. And it isn't a ghost world (still appears on maps). What gives? Any ideas?
The Ravens were looking for something specific, not trying to annex Antallos.  We don't know what it was or if they found it, but the rest of the world is pretty useless.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #69 on: 03 June 2017, 09:20:59 »
More useless than Rezak's Hole?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 03 June 2017, 09:34:49 »
Just to point it out, but the Ravens also cleared much of the wastes of pirates and they still did not annex any of those planets.

Antallos is really only an important world to pirates and less-than-savory mercs, and after the Raven attack probably not either of them anymore.  It is not a particularly industrial or populated planet.  In the end, it is a bit too far away from other Raven holdings and the Ravens are too small of a clan to maintain forces there for long.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 05 June 2017, 12:14:34 »
Orbital Bombardment has numerous definitions among the Snow Ravens.

I laughed way, way harder at this than I probably should have. The mental images it conjured were priceless!

Anyway, I've always been a little surprised that the Ravens didn't officially expand back out into the abandoned worlds of the Periphery more than they have. I know colonization isn't sexy to the clans, but all some of those worlds were lacking was steady access to advanced technology. I would have expected at least SOME worlds to still have valuable resources, and the Ravens to have access to the SL-era tech needed to keep them habitable. It's not like the Clans are all that shy about living on marginal worlds, so I always expected a few more scattered colonies to pop up further out in the previously abandoned areas...but they never really have.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #72 on: 05 June 2017, 12:46:14 »
*tinfoil hat on* That you know of. *tinfoil hat off*
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 05 June 2017, 12:51:34 »
The Ravens really are not hurting for living space.  Remember, they went from living on the equivalent of about 4 worlds to about 40.  In addition their overall population probably was cut to maybe 10% of their 3067 population (my estimation for this is that they went from about 97 million to around 10 million, though I feel this number may be a bit high).  And while they could certainly provide the limited required technology to the waste worlds, I doubt they felt it was much of a priority. 

Lastly, the clans in general - and the Ravens are no different - focus much too heavily into the very near future, they might have a 1-year plan, and a general idea of the way they are headed in 5 years, but by no means an actual plan.  This feature of the clans severely diminishes the effectiveness of their top-down-based industrial output, particularly as it relates to anything not military.

This means to me that while the waste worlds may like that the Ravens got rid of the pirates, their subsequent lack of interactions probably decreased whatever goodwill they engendered.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 05 June 2017, 13:38:52 »
The Ravens really are not hurting for living space.  Remember, they went from living on the equivalent of about 4 worlds to about 40.  In addition their overall population probably was cut to maybe 10% of their 3067 population (my estimation for this is that they went from about 97 million to around 10 million, though I feel this number may be a bit high).  And while they could certainly provide the limited required technology to the waste worlds, I doubt they felt it was much of a priority. 

Lastly, the clans in general - and the Ravens are no different - focus much too heavily into the very near future, they might have a 1-year plan, and a general idea of the way they are headed in 5 years, but by no means an actual plan.  This feature of the clans severely diminishes the effectiveness of their top-down-based industrial output, particularly as it relates to anything not military.

This means to me that while the waste worlds may like that the Ravens got rid of the pirates, their subsequent lack of interactions probably decreased whatever goodwill they engendered.

One year plan is all you can do when your first bad decision brings a host of Trials of Grievance or Refusal, which can be fatal and which tend to add a lot of turnover in the mix.

I think the Bears got it closest to getting it right in the IS, keep the military Clan, for everyone else they become Civilians. The need for civilian castes is nill, when you have a realm with a population in the Billions, you even get enough diamonds in the rough to inject new blood into your genetic program with Free Births were a clan so inclined.

The Ravens Picked/Conquered the wrong realm, not that they had a better choice. The hippie peaceniks of the OA, were never going to integrate into anything militarily driven like the clans, after all most of them live in the OA to escape that.

Though it could be interesting if they simply took over the Tortuga Cluster, and set up shop there, though whether or not they could keep their tech would be debatable, and whether they'd have enough people would be debatable too.

Demongirl

• Inventor of Orbital Whack-A-Mole
  • Corporal
  • Succubus
    • Gaming Archive
« Reply #75 on: 16 June 2017, 15:15:06 »
OK, I could not let such a travesty stand; the Turkey thread was actually getting some use, and was at the top of the list. Ewww.
Walk softly and carry dual LB-10X
If that doesn't work, opt for dual Gauss

BattleCorps: SRV-019D

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 17 June 2017, 09:50:33 »
OK, I could not let such a travesty stand; the Turkey thread was actually getting some use, and was at the top of the list. Ewww.
As of right now, the Jade Turkeys have read your post and put themselves back.  Hopefully this post will restore balance to the Force.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #77 on: 17 June 2017, 11:31:19 »
* Goes turkey hunting, err ToP... yeah, ToP for the most Post! *

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 19 June 2017, 14:30:42 »
What annoys me most about the Jade Turkeys is not that they dropped their most effective warship on a plant.  On the contrary, it was one less ship to challenge our supremacy.  No, what annoyed me was that it was a Nightlord.  We built it!  If they didn't want it, then they should have given it back to us. >:(

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #79 on: 19 June 2017, 15:14:07 »
Seeing what the used WS market is,,,I agree cause it's a classic
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #80 on: 19 June 2017, 19:02:39 »
I can't remember who came up with this nickname, but I still think the best name for a Nightlord is the Eminent Domain.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #81 on: 20 June 2017, 00:07:52 »
I can't remember who came up with this nickname, but I still think the best name for a Nightlord is the Eminent Domain.

Would pair well with the Leviathan 'Manifest Destiny'.

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #82 on: 21 June 2017, 19:04:16 »
Would pair well with the Leviathan 'Manifest Destiny'.

It's in a naval star with the Lola III-class Freedom of Navigation.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 21 June 2017, 23:19:23 »
And hey definitely could have given it to us Bears as well: ' Ursa Major II' and the DCA would have panicked and started flipping tables: sending every Warship, Dropship, and Aerospace Fighter to the Dominion Border to stop it.

What annoys me most about the Jade Turkeys is not that they dropped their most effective warship on a plant.  On the contrary, it was one less ship to challenge our supremacy.  No, what annoyed me was that it was a Nightlord.  We built it!  If they didn't want it, then they should have given it back to us. >:(

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #84 on: 17 July 2017, 13:43:02 »
Does not feel right talking with clanners, but if have work to do, you have work to do...

Does any know of reference on what factories the Raven managed to evacuate from the Homeworlds? My experience with the WoR books is little, so i come here for your knowledge in the matter at hand.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 17 July 2017, 14:01:40 »
As far as I can tell virtually none of the true manufacturing facilities.  Most of the potemkins-class warships which survived had some bare-bones factories built in their cavernous cargo bays - which may or may not be built around the core components of homeworld factories.  Most of the support the Ravens have been able to give to upgrade the Alliance factories seems to primarily be in expertise and smaller but more effective pieces of equipment - and this support has only been giving to certain factories (as seen in the Cadaver in TRO 3145, the Raven Alliance still produces BattleMechs with Inner Sphere levels of technology).

Some specifics (paraphrased, for the most part, from Objectives - The Clans):
Snow Raven Insdustrial Complex Alpha - started as a bunch of mobile factories which were morphed into a true factory complex.  Builds Battlemechs and battle armor
United Outworlders Corporation on Mitchella - new complex, unknown origin.  Builds battlemechs and combat vehicles, perhaps a bit more was intended but this is all we know for sure.
Crest Foundries, Quatre Belle - Started as a mobile factory
CSR Battle Armor Facility Alpha, Ramora - unknown origin
UOC, Ramor - adopted clan manufacturing techniques

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 17 July 2017, 16:25:32 »
Does not feel right talking with clanners, but if have work to do, you have work to do...

Does any know of reference on what factories the Raven managed to evacuate from the Homeworlds? My experience with the WoR books is little, so i come here for your knowledge in the matter at hand.
Honestly, we really don't know.  WoR seemed to be deliberately vague to give the writers maneuvering room in this matter.  However, they did state that the largest and most important convoy was captured or destroyed by the Adders.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 17 July 2017, 16:44:39 »
The 3145/3150 TRO series gives you an idea of the sorts of things that are still being built.

And of course if you don't need to distinguish between what's still being built and what's just still around in large number, you can look at the availability filters for units on the MUL.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #88 on: 20 July 2017, 05:28:54 »
A lot of stuff on the RA RAT is utter trash (Rokurokubi, Dasher II, Jaguar, I'm looking at you) but at least we have the Goshawk II, which is nice.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #89 on: 20 July 2017, 20:22:12 »
A lot of stuff on the RA RAT is utter trash (Rokurokubi, Dasher II, Jaguar, I'm looking at you) but at least we have the Goshawk II, which is nice.

It's a quad, and it would be nice to unify the SRMs with the ATM launcher (although infernos can prove useful).  But the Jaguar is a pretty solid design, IMO.  I might trade Dark Crow production for Jaguar production, for example.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."