Author Topic: (Answered) Critical Hits and You...  (Read 1838 times)

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
(Answered) Critical Hits and You...
« on: 05 May 2017, 18:58:43 »
Okay, so after a million years of playing Battletech, and now looking at the BMM I've run into a question that I am unsure of.

Critical Hits and Destroyed Locations:
Historically, we have only rolled for critical hits on a location that has been destroyed if there is explosive components in that location. The way the Battlemech Manual flowchart reads is, if a location has nothing in it that can be critically hit, you still roll for critical hits and transfer those and then the next step is to check to see if the location is destroyed. The text, however, implies that you only check for critical hits if there is an explosive compnent (i.e. you otherwise don't check for critical hits.) Am I misreading the text, because it is not entirely clear how things work.

tl;dr - Nothing to critically hit in location, location is destroyed - do you still roll for critical hits and transfer them?

A crazy extreme example:
A mech takes an AC20 round to a leg that has had all components destroyed already. The damage is enough to destroy the leg, transfer to the torso which has no components left in it that can be critically hit, destroy that and deal at least one point of damage to the center torso internal structure. Is that: a roll on the leg for crits that transfer to the torso, which would then transfer to the center torso; followed by a roll for crits on the torso that would then transfer to the center torso; followed by a critical hit check on the center torso? Potentially being eight critical hits if the dice are hot. (Or loaded.)
« Last Edit: 05 May 2017, 23:21:02 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Critical Hits and You...
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2017, 23:20:47 »
Per BMM p. 46,
"If all possible slots in the damaged location had already taken critical hits in phases previous to this one, or are otherwise inapplicable slots (see above), the critical hit transfers to the next location per the Damage Transfer Diagram."

This matches TW p. 125.

However, if you destroy a location completely, you treat things differently.  At that point you're looking at Destroyed Location (TW p. 124) or Destroyed Location with Explosive Slots (BMM p. 45).  You check for criticals, but criticals that occur in this fashion don't transfer; they pretty much only exist to see if you set off the ammo in that location.  Of course, any exploding ammo then carries through as normal, unless you have CASE.

So, following your example:

The AC/20 hits the leg.  Leg is destroyed.  Check for explosive components.  There are none, so the leg is just destroyed with no critical hits caused.  Damage transfers to the armour of the side torso.  Armour of side torso is destroyed.  Internal structure of side torso is destroyed.  If the side torso has explosive components, check to see if they are critically hit.  Damage transfers to the CT armour, then keeps going to the CT internal.  Roll for criticals as normal.

The flow chart is indeed broken in terms of this procedure, in both the Manual and TW (which use the same chart).  A corrected version of the damage procedure is below; I'd appreciate it if you could take a look and tell me if it fixes your problem without breaking other things:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/enrkehtkjap39sp/BM_05%20Damage_Updated%20Flow%20Chart.docx?dl=0
« Last Edit: 06 May 2017, 21:49:18 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
Re: (Answered) Critical Hits and You...
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2017, 15:47:21 »
That flow is much more accurate I think then. It removes the confusion of the Battlemech Manual Beta.

Register