Author Topic: Practical considerations for buildings  (Read 1168 times)

Brym

• Corporal
Practical considerations for buildings
« on: 08 May 2017, 12:32:53 »
The building rules in Alpha Strike are written (as they are in Classic Battletech) so that mechs may move through them, not just around them, and can park inside and shoot out.  How do people deal with this when using 3d terrain instead of hexes?  I obviously don't want to punch a hole in the side of my terrain every time a mech needs to move in.  Do people just stack the mech on top of the building and remember that it's supposed to be inside?  Any other ideas?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Practical considerations for buildings
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2017, 12:37:56 »
I put them on top of the model of the building, with a die indicating which level/floor the mech is standing in.  (I'm an American, where the 1st floor is the one on ground level, so no need to worry about G then 1 for the 2nd story, so on)

Of course we also use dice to show TMMs/who's already gone, so a different color for "what story in which the unit is located" is a good idea.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: Practical considerations for buildings
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2017, 12:43:26 »
I put them on top of the model of the building, with a die indicating which level/floor the mech is standing in.  (I'm an American, where the 1st floor is the one on ground level, so no need to worry about G then 1 for the 2nd story, so on)

Of course we also use dice to show TMMs/who's already gone, so a different color for "what story in which the unit is located" is a good idea.
Most folks I've played with do the same. Generally when we need to mark elevation we use dice of a different shape (d4, d10, etc.) to make it obvious which is which.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!