Author Topic: SLS Vostanie Dekabristov  (Read 1867 times)

aidan_kell

• Private
SLS Vostanie Dekabristov
« on: 05 June 2017, 17:56:10 »
Not being sure where to post this as it's part unit spec/part short story, I'll post here for thoughts, suggestions or thrown pottery.

This fluff story is based in part on the background for the Sovremenyy class Attack Cruiser as written/posted by Liam's Ghost.

Here goes:

SLS Oktyabrskava Revolutsiva, having been the “ace-in-the-hole” that Stefan Amaris never had the chance to use has been the subject of much conjecture over the centuries following the collapse of the first Star League. Having fled the Terran system approximately one month before the arrival of General Kerensky’s forces, the vessel was spared from the carnage that ensued. Assumed to have vanished into the periphery, nothing was heard of her again until 3055 when a battered and scarred vessel matching the overall configuration of the missing Sovremenyy was seen aiding in the relocation of Clan Ghost Bear to the Inner Sphere.

The Oktyabrskava Revolutsiva had been recovered barely operational by a combined team of private Lostech prospectors and Interstellar Expeditions in the REDACTED system between the Sphere and Clan space. While her KF drive and engines were intact, what weapon systems were still in place were non-operational and her main computer systems badly degraded from the centuries of being left adrift. Transferring fuel and supplies from both salvager jumpships, and with several weeks worth of work, the ancient warship was brought back to some semblance of life. During the preparations to leave the system with all three vessels, the IE vessel suffered a catastrophic explosion later determined to have been from improper fuel handling procedures. Now left with only two ships, it was decided to contact the nearest system for aid, a choice which brought the expedition in contact with a Ghost Bear fleet in the process of transferring civilians to their new home within the Inner Sphere.

A trial of possession was fought over the Oktyabrskava Revolutsiva, the result of which was an agreement. The ship would be completely stripped of her remaining armaments and used by her now permanent crew to aid in the Ghost Bear relocation efforts, and in return, the Ghost Bears would refit the vessel as best they could when finished.

Having completed several runs in service to their employers, the ship went into drydock on December of 3057. When she emerged again 3 years later, she resembled very much the Clan refit of the Sovremenyy’s twin the Sovetskii Soyuz. The original main drive had been replaced with a more modern and fuel efficient twin engine system and structural changes to the hull necessitated the removal of one of her four dropship docking collars. Rather than be left with an asymmetrical layout, one collar was located along the dorsal spine of the ship, while the other two were located to either side. The removal of one of the docking collars freed up enough space that the Clan engineers were able to finally fit the lithium fusion battery system missing from the original vessel. Within the ship, due in no small part to the smaller size of her crew, the levels of automation were increased by means of retrofitting the primary computer systems of the now abandoned IE jumpship as well as via OS upgrades to the ship’s original systems, with the net result being a 38% decrease in the amount of crew needed.

After refitting and rearming was completed, the vessel was rechristened the SLS Vostanie Dekabristov, both in reference to the Decemberist Revolution and to the date upon which the refit began, leaving drydock for shakedown in July of 3060. Once the few bugs were worked out of the ship’s systems, she left Dominion space headed for the Lyran Alliance with the promise that the ship would never see action against the Dominion or its holdings as an act of respect for their hand in returning the ship to active duty.

Post refit, the December, as it was known to her crew, saw limited action during the FedCom Civil War and was known to have survived the Jihad more or less intact. The SLS Vostanie Dekabristov was last seen patrolling former Republic space is support of RAF personnel stranded outside Fortress Republic.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: SLS Vostanie Dekabristov
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2017, 06:19:59 »
I like it :) Nice notable history of a very rare beasty.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2017, 10:33:15 »
That's quite a cool ship history i half expected her to join merc service
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2017, 13:10:02 »
Pretty cool history...thou i'm confused what happened between FedCom Civil War are to the fall or the Republic.  it kinda jumped so to speak between the two eras without filling us in.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

aidan_kell

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2017, 19:20:08 »
I imagine that during the period between the end of the Jihad and the fall of the Republic, her life was fairly uneventful. The crew could have ostensibly seen action against the Capellan Confederation though.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."