Author Topic: Mechs are Kings of the Battlefield - Space is a Battlefield.  (Read 7418 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Do you think it's high past time for there to be dedicated Space Mechs? Think about it. They're supposed to be the kings of the battlefield.  Space is a battlefield, and yet, they don't have any real authority there, making their claim to the title of King dubious. 

Unless something is done to make them more competitive, LAMs, as with their current rules, don't fit the bill.

Should ASFs finally be relegated to tanks of the black oceans? 

Me? All calls against Gundams and other space Mecha aside, I would love to see a line of space Mechs.  (And, as an interesting joke, it could be something based off the old Destroid designs. They had thruster ports on the hips, back and feet for maneuvering in vacuum. ;) )

Thoughts?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Mechs are Kings of the Battlefield - Space is a Battlefield.
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2017, 15:09:55 »
No.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2017, 15:17:42 »
There have been several space dedicated mechs and even a tank. Granted the tank is kinda meh. I think several of them were omnis using a U designation for alternative environment. The Black Hawk U even had a melee weapon to aid in grabbing hold of a hull for boarding actions.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2017, 15:32:43 »
Why would something that can fly need legs?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2017, 15:42:19 »
No.

That

Why would something that can fly need legs?

And that.

EDIT: Just so I don't sound flippant, I just don't think Space Mechs belong in the game until we have rules for regular aerospace and space units hammered out.  I've been waiting for ages for good, workable rules for aerospace fighters that don't require and extra rulebook, nine pages of lookup tables, and an abacus.  The aero rules in Alpha Strike are a great start, but still a little clunky.  We need to have successful, beginner-friendly integration of the stuff we already have in the game before we start adding more stuff. 
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 15:52:56 by ActionButler »
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2017, 15:55:23 »
There's been a few mentions in canon of mechs being used in space battle, like walking on the exterior of a warship or a carrier dropship opening its bay doors to let mechs within add their firepower to a fight... but it's always out of desperation (or stupidity) rather than military practicality.

The Ravens do have a few mech variants made for "space battles", but even then I think they're more meant for specializing in a very low G, airless "ground" environment like a small asteroid or such rather than trying to compete with ASFs for relevance.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2017, 16:08:24 »
  Not something I've considered.  It's an interesting idea, but I just can't think of why you would want legs on a space platform.  We have LAMs and they can fly in space so we already have space mechs in that regard.  I believe Strat Ops already has some good rules for using mechs on the hull of spaceships like they would do in Macross with the destroids. 

We could have space platforms with arms to provide extra fields of fire and perhaps to grapple with starships.  Something like the Zeon Grublo from Gundam.  I can't really think of any reasons for having legs on a starship though.  I'm not sure it fits with Battletech's aesthetic.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2017, 16:14:05 »
There's been a few mentions in canon of mechs being used in space battle, like walking on the exterior of a warship or a carrier dropship opening its bay doors to let mechs within add their firepower to a fight... but it's always out of desperation (or stupidity) rather than military practicality.

The Ravens do have a few mech variants made for "space battles", but even then I think they're more meant for specializing in a very low G, airless "ground" environment like a small asteroid or such rather than trying to compete with ASFs for relevance.

There is a certain utility for 'Mechs capable of operating in zero-G that can accomplish things fighters cannot.  Deep Space salvage operations come to mind, for things like recovering salvageable material from warship hulks.

You know... things that Protomechs are much better at.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2017, 16:20:02 »
Or BA... I think BA would be better at it than protomechs.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2017, 16:37:16 »
I would like to see some equipment that would allow Mechs to function as decent AA turrets on Spaceships (Magnetic feet?).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2017, 17:03:07 »
I would like to see some equipment that would allow Mechs to function as decent AA turrets on Spaceships (Magnetic feet?).

This is arguably something that would be better accomplished with entirely different aerospace rules in the first place.  "Strap a 'Mech to it" really shouldn't be the solution to "my multi-hundred kiloton ship doesn't have enough AA guns on it".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2017, 17:58:29 »
The real question should be how BattleMechs fare on the battlefield of love...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVZOLV9SPo

::)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2017, 18:14:14 »
i recall when i started a similar thread few years back that some mechs do have specialized equipment that can be mounted to make them space worthy.
and some one did mention that there were at least some specific ones designed for space use  but not military ones.

i also recall of some one using industrial mechs to mine asteroids around sol but i doubt it was cannon tho.

standard mechs i just have this nasty vision of them as soon as they would hit the vacuum all of their joints would weld themselves immobile and cockpits would trap their pilots until they could be rescued.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2017, 19:58:20 »
i wouldn't mind some sort of advanced rules equipment that gives a mech the ability to shoot outside its own hex in a space battle. i mean, if a LAM can have the computers and sensors to allow full range during fighter mode, why couldn't mechs have a sort of "space targeting computer"? you could limit it to say, short standard weapon range.

sacrificing weapons and armor space to gain longer range in space would seem a reasonable trade off too..

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2017, 20:03:18 »
If you're going to go to that much trouble, why not just build a LAM?
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 20:36:05 by Daryk »

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2017, 20:18:39 »
I've been waiting for ages for good, workable rules for aerospace fighters that don't require and extra rulebook, nine pages of lookup tables, and an abacus.  The aero rules in Alpha Strike are a great start, but still a little clunky.  We need to have successful, beginner-friendly integration of the stuff we already have in the game before we start adding more stuff.

This, and about time.  Its ridiculous that I can field a Infantryman up to a WS,  but the AS rules are absurd.  That, and the lack of a computer designe program.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2017, 20:25:36 »
We already have something for space combat: Aerospace Fighters.

My head cannon has always been you don't see Aerospace fighters taking part in planet side battle because they are spending most of the fight in space. Defending aerospace fighters would be intercepting invading aerospace fighters running interference for their dropships. 

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nixon Thrax

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2017, 22:23:53 »
Mechs are already used in space. To protect asteroid mining and such.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." "If that boot is on a giant robot you're pretty spot on"

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2017, 14:53:01 »
I think it's beyond high time.

It's ridiculous that having the general shape of a plane, dropship, or warship is required to shoot at Aerospace Ranges, or to move at Aerospace speeds in space. Given that there's no atmosphere in space, I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to outfit a mech to move like an ASF in space without resorting to a LAM. Mount the right kind of engines on a mech and let it fight.

I think the top-down resistance to this is just born out of a desire to keep distance from anything vaguely gundam flavored. Which is a valid reason (not one I agree with, but one I acknowlege as a valid choice to make) and it's clear from many of the other responses in this thread that there is fan resistance to it as well... but being able to use mechs in space would make space combat go from "completely uninteresting to me" to "relevant to my interests"

as far as the realism arguments against Space Mechs, I would argue that if we were consistent about that, there'd be no reason to have Land Mechs either, in favor of Tanks and Infantry.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #20 on: 16 July 2017, 15:05:51 »
I'm going to say "no" as well, for much the same reasons as given earlier. Frankly, so few people play with aerospace units - and don't bother saying "but I do," I said "few" not "none" - that introducing even more is a waste of work count.

...and I was the one who wrote up the space-adapted 'Mechs in TR3075.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2017, 15:07:45 »
There is a disconnect in the rules between ASF, which take hits pretty much like 'Mechs operating in atmosphere, and 'Mechs which suffer extreme risks from hull breaches when in vacuum.

That aside, I've always felt space is the excuse for LAMs to exist.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 16 July 2017, 15:12:24 »
as far as the realism arguments against Space Mechs, I would argue that if we were consistent about that, there'd be no reason to have Land Mechs either, in favor of Tanks and Infantry.
Mostly true, but you can kinda/sorta justify mechs in that they can cross terrain tanks can't.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #23 on: 16 July 2017, 16:38:53 »
I've been hearing that argument for decades, and it makes no more sense now than it did in 1990. Just because I accept one "unrealistic" thing doesn't mean I have to accept them all. If you want effective space mecha, there are other games and universes.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 16 July 2017, 16:42:07 »
If you want effective space mecha, there are other games and universes.

If you can point me at a wargame with even half the detail level of battletech, that has effective space mecha my credit card may melt from being removed from my wallet so fast.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 16 July 2017, 16:50:14 »
Mostly true, but you can kinda/sorta justify mechs in that they can cross terrain tanks can't.

Only because we have established that in the rules, though.  I mean, I love the BT flavor of Battlemechs as much as anyone else here, but they would not be THAT much more maneuverable than a tank. Certainly two legs - only two legs - would be more of a liability than a blessing.  If we were going pure realism, all mechs would be quad/multiped mechs.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #26 on: 16 July 2017, 16:51:04 »
Only because we have established that in the rules, though.  I mean, I love the BT flavor of Battlemechs as much as anyone else here, but they would not be THAT much more maneuverable than a tank. Certainly two legs - only two legs - would be more of a liability than a blessing.  If we were going pure realism, all mechs would be quad/multiped mechs.
CentaurTech?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 16 July 2017, 17:49:33 »
  Not to jump on a soapbox but the pragmatism of walking mech is something I've been thinking about a fair amount lately.  I've come to the tentative conclusion that even with the relatively high ground pressures they would still have outstanding all-terrain capabilities.  Even if we assume mechs are less than 10 meters tall their ground pressure is comparable to an elephant due to their freakishly large clown feet (you never notice when looking at them but measure them and you will see, kind of like Space Marine hands).  Thus they should be able to travel pretty much anywhere a horse or an elephant can.  In fact they would be able to travel in many places that would bog a horse/elephant down due to their height (they could sink much deeper into the ground before bogging becomes an issue).

That being said you get a whole host of problems that still make mechs, especially bipeds, undesirable for most situations as a weapons platform.  Just to name a few they are mechanically inefficient compared to wheels or treads so they will be slower.  Their large silhouette would make them much easier to hit and their relatively large surface area would mean any armor protection would have to be paper thin compared to a tank.  I could see them being made for niche situations, China for example has played around with the idea making 30 ton six legged "spider" tank for navigating the Tibetan highlands, and the AT-ST seems somewhat pragmatic for navigating forests, but they certainly wouldn't be the giant walking dreadnoughts/MBTs of of the future as they are in Battletech.

The pragmatism of making giant walking tanks is pretty much a conceit of the universe.  I think walking machines could actually function as amazing all-terrain vehicles, even at the sized and weights of Battletech mechs, but I just don't see them as a realistic replacement for wheels or treads for most situations.  Therefore, the inclusion of space mecha is more an aesthetics issue than a realism issue.  I'm willing to play around with the idea but I'm leaning towards limiting the number of conceits we add to the universe. 
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 16 July 2017, 21:43:14 »
If you can point me at a wargame with even half the detail level of battletech, that has effective space mecha my credit card may melt from being removed from my wallet so fast.

Most games have learned that BattleTech's level of detail is equal parts Interesting and Lead Anchor as far as new players are concerned.  There's a reason we don't have this, and it has nothing to do with people not liking space mecha.  Your credit card, sadly, will not pay all the bills.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 16 July 2017, 22:10:13 »
Most games have learned that BattleTech's level of detail is equal parts Interesting and Lead Anchor as far as new players are concerned.  There's a reason we don't have this, and it has nothing to do with people not liking space mecha.  Your credit card, sadly, will not pay all the bills.

then we're hardly talking about there being a lot of replacements for battletech out there, now are we?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 16 July 2017, 23:12:54 »
...Your saying 'replace' Battletech as if you are already looking for the door.

You can house rule aerospace fighters if you don't like the current rule set. Otherwise we need to wait for a TRO with a Gundam tech level to drop before Battlemechs start dominating EVERYTHING.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2017, 23:40:24 »
...Your saying 'replace' Battletech as if you are already looking for the door.

You can house rule aerospace fighters if you don't like the current rule set. Otherwise we need to wait for a TRO with a Gundam tech level to drop before Battlemechs start dominating EVERYTHING.

if Battletech had any actual peers I could jump ship to, I certainly wouldn't sit through four years of stagnation for the plot to creep ahead. looking for the door? I'd be through it already if there were anything waiting on the other side besides hard vacuum.

That said, it was ColBosch who brought up "if you don't like it, leave" to begin with. Not me.

It really wouldn't require a whole new TRO, you could get away with a pretty minor rules revision. the Partial Wing and UMUs didn't necessitate a gigantic paradigm shift, did they?

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 17 July 2017, 03:30:55 »
More or less what has been posted. A LAM can easily be designed for Space Combat . Start in Aerospace Fighter mode with a fuel pod and external ordinance use fuel pod fuel to get to combat site shoot ordinance dump fuel pod change into a mech and fight . The general means of a LAM to get half of it's tonnage spent for LAM equipment is using Composite IS . Not sure if LAMs can use a Small Cockpit but if it can you can reduce the lost tonnage in the design to as little as half a ton for a 30 ton unit. Purpose built units just better with the ability to use XL engines where the LAM cannot so it will be either Armed or armored less then there non-LAM counterparts.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2017, 05:09:19 »
I agree, quads are more stable in movement and the make for better weapons plaforms thanks to that added stability.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2017, 05:42:34 »
[copper]  Calm down, everyone.  The topic is about spacemechs, not whether or not anyone's affection for Battletech is genuine.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2017, 10:45:14 »
I'm kind of 'meh' about space mechs. I was going to go into a big thing about how they loose a bunch of their mobility advantage in space, how aerospace fighters already do a good job of taking the same tech and making it work in a space battle, and how as long as capital-class weapons exist mechs won't rule in space.

However I realized a much more fundamental problem, for me at least: I don't actually enjoy the aero rules all that much at the fighter level. I don't care if we have space mechs, because I don't really have a desire to play space dogfights with the rules we have. I don't mind the aero rules as much for dropship/warship scale fights where fighters get rolled up into squadrons, but the smaller scale stuff where an individual fighter or space-mech would matter...I don't really like those fights. It isn't that I don't like the IDEA of a small-scale dogfight, I just don't have much fun playing them with the rules we have in either TW or AS. That's just me though.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2017, 15:23:21 »
From a technical stand point their is noting that should prevent a battlemech from having significantly longer combat ranges in space if they wanted to.

A battlemech with 6 jump jets can accelerate at 1G for 6 minutes with no extra fuel (3.6km/s of Delta V), add in 80 points (a metric ton) of fuel and it got 27.6km/s of Delta V.
AFAIK going to the moon (and landing) from earth orbit only requires 6km/s (to get back is ~4km/s), starting from the surface of the earth adds ~10km/s. As such any mech with a single ton of fuel can in theory pull off a reenactment of real life moon missions (well needs at lest 9 jump jets though and ignoring the fact that they generally do not work exactly that way in atmo).

Another thing a battlemech in space can engage a target in their own hex which IIRC depending on where thy are described to be, could be a good 18ish km away from each other, one of these you don't think much about but indicates B-techs vehicle weapons have longer ranges than typical ground combat seems.  :)

Now I do not think we need this ability but technically their is nothing really preventing it in the first place. Even if they had the capability of engaging from further distances, their not going to be as good as fighters due to the much lower thrust ratings, it's difficult to get a mech with a 2G thrust rating (12 jump jets required), where as slow ASFs already have 4Gs of thrust, many combat units have 4.5Gs and the fastest can reach upwards of around 11Gs.
Though an interesting quirk is that you need four times the trust to get some where in half the time...

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 17 July 2017, 15:57:01 »
Let me point out for those who don't understand that 'Mechs would have trouble traversing dirt and mud due to ground pressure issues and as for snow, don't make me laugh.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 17 July 2017, 16:27:40 »
  Ground pressure is not as much as an issue as you might think.  A Centurion Battlemech, assuming it is 10 meters tall, weighs 110,231lbs and has feet with 11,624 square inches of area. Giving it a standing ground pressure of roughly 10 pounds per square inch or equivalent to human at 8 psi.  For reference Elephants have a standing psi of 35 and horses 25.  Just like you never notice it with warhammer miniatures and their freakishly large heads and hands but mechs have freakishly large snow shoe like feet.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 17 July 2017, 16:33:48 »
Also, ground can only compress so much.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 17 July 2017, 16:41:25 »
Idea for a new topic:

Hey let's talk about how little there actually is to fight over in space?  No, really.  It's not a fluke that few space battles are played casually or that the rules governing space battles languish behind those for ground battles.  Barring the odd fight on the surface of an asteroid or airless moon, what is there that actually will plausibly actually have two hostile forces involved in fighting each other over?  An orbital insertion or extraction?  Have a gander over at the threads about how does one conduct/defend against a raid... intercepts (whether fought by DropShips, ASFs, or Space-flying Mechs) just rarely happen in the BTU.  And deep space battles are, in the words of the book in which they're governed, a joke for completism's sake rather than meant to actually be used.  IMO space-viable mechs would just be a rules curiosity that doesn't get any play outside of specific scenarios.  Basically, like WarShips.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #41 on: 17 July 2017, 17:57:55 »
*nods* That's exactly why I used a rogue nuclear facility in the Oort Cloud for the deployment section of the Wasp Mk I LAM. Not only was it a deliberate parallel to Operation Opera, it also gave a solid reason for why the SLDF used LAMs at all.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 17 July 2017, 18:09:45 »
There's things to fight over in space.

Endo Steel manufacturing facilities. Space Habitats. Asteroid Mining operations. Recharge Stations. Inhabited Moons. combat atop ships. Mirror Arrays. Shipyards.

I mean, you give players the option of mechs that move like ASFs (and why shouldn't they if so equipped? Aerodynamics don't matter in a vacuum) then all the arguments of "what would you even do with them" can be applied to ASFs as well. Players don't play a lot of aero games? Well, color me surprised that people who came to play with giant robots tend to neglect the part of the game that doesn't have giant robots (not everyone DOES, but I sure do.)

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 17 July 2017, 18:18:26 »
  Ground pressure is not as much as an issue as you might think.  A Centurion Battlemech, assuming it is 10 meters tall, weighs 110,231lbs and has feet with 11,624 square inches of area. Giving it a standing ground pressure of roughly 10 pounds per square inch or equivalent to human at 8 psi.  For reference Elephants have a standing psi of 35 and horses 25.  Just like you never notice it with warhammer miniatures and their freakishly large heads and hands but mechs have freakishly large snow shoe like feet.

It's not about ground pressure, it's typically about ground clearance.  A typical mid-size sedan will bog down in marshy terrain because of ground clearance, because its ground pressure is roughly equal to that of an adult horse that's standing still, and they'd be significantly more capable of it.  A horse in motion can generate up to 500 psi ground pressure, which roughly corresponds to one of these things.

There are some 'Mechs that would definitely have trouble (Tarantula, Sha Yu see yourselves out), but most are going to be just fine by sheer virtue of the fact that they won't sink 6 meters in a fraction of a second ground pressure be damned, and they're strong enough to wrench a stuck limb free in the first place.

Pre-edit: this was supposed to be directed at SCC, but I didn't realize that this point had already been made.  I'll post it anyway.

The real reasons tanks would be superior to 'Mechs is that a ball joint like a shoulder is just flat out not possible to armor like an engine block.  It should be significantly easier to disable a 'Mech from combat damage than a tank, but it isn't because ~rules~.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 17 July 2017, 18:30:08 »
The real reasons tanks would be superior to 'Mechs is that a ball joint like a shoulder is just flat out not possible to armor like an engine block.  It should be significantly easier to disable a 'Mech from combat damage than a tank, but it isn't because ~rules~.
So... Realistically 'Mechs should be very flexible combat units,apable in cross country where tanks bog down but ultimately weak? Basically "sneaky" glass cannons that cross mountains, bogs and forests to attack from unlikely angles, with considerable firepower. Poor open field fighters (and as consequence, not good in space either).

Funny enough, this would make 'Mechs ridiculously thin armor (rather low tonnage for the surface area) make more sense as well.

This actually makes for a rather interesting setting and/or rules system...

massey

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 17 July 2017, 22:23:04 »
The real question should be how BattleMechs fare on the battlefield of love...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVZOLV9SPo

::)

Grrr...

I came here to post that.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 17 July 2017, 22:34:47 »
  In the 31st century the Battlemech is the dominate weapon on the battlefield of love.

« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 22:39:27 by Death by Lasers »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 17 July 2017, 22:56:41 »
I'd imagine that armoring knees would also be a problem.

And for Scotty's rebuttal of my ground pressure issue, that would make sense, as long as the 'Mech keeps moving, once it stops there's a problem. Death by Laser's on the other hand means that a good stiff breeze will blow one over.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 17 July 2017, 23:29:01 »
I think it's beyond high time.

Agreed. Personally, I think it is beyond time everything in battletech should be able to be used in space. Humanoid things can move in space as long as they have jumpjets, but jumpjet equipped vehicles can't because they aren't humanoid. That's never made sense to me. If you can mount jumpjets, you should be able to move in space under your own power (until you run out of fuel). Not that anyone would want to as an actual plan, but as a desperation move it should be legal.

It's ridiculous that having the general shape of a plane, dropship, or warship is required to shoot at Aerospace Ranges, or to move at Aerospace speeds in space. Given that there's no atmosphere in space, I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to outfit a mech to move like an ASF in space without resorting to a LAM. Mount the right kind of engines on a mech and let it fight.

The reason I have most often heard is sensors not calibrated for the differences. Personally I think that is BS though. Since LAMs can use sensors at aerospace ranges with no change in tonnage, it sounds like a software issue, mechs should be able to in general, since they can function in that environment... along with anything else that can operate there.

I think the top-down resistance to this is just born out of a desire to keep distance from anything vaguely gundam flavored. Which is a valid reason (not one I agree with, but one I acknowlege as a valid choice to make) and it's clear from many of the other responses in this thread that there is fan resistance to it as well... but being able to use mechs in space would make space combat go from "completely uninteresting to me" to "relevant to my interests"

Maybe. I can also understand any possible desire to keep the game distanced from things like robotech, due to past history. Still, I'd rather the possibilities be in the rules.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Here, here!

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 17 July 2017, 23:35:09 »
  Why would a stiff breeze knock the Centurion over?  A 10 meter tall Centurion weighs 50 tons, a 10 meter tall giant man would weigh 12 tons, even with its bulky frame the extra weight should more than even things out and keep it well grounded.  The Centurion (like most mecha) just has proportionally huge feet. 

Also, a horse at the gallop exerts 500 psi (25 psi standing) of ground pressure and can gallop on a waterlogged beach that would more than likely bog down a 30 psi car.  Elephants, 35 psi standing, frequently travel through swamps that would drown a 15 psi tank.  I'm not saying horses, elephants, and men don't get bogged down but psi on its own is a meaningless statistic without context. 

On a fun side note if you could blow a human up to mech proportions (about 10 meters), and somehow his legs didn't break due to square/cube law, he would exert about 40 psi of ground pressure or only slightly more than an elephant.  Meaning a giant mech sized man would be able negotiate pretty much any terrain a pachyderm can including swamps, marshes, and forest.  It should be remembered that in order to bog down our giant would need to sink 5+ times deeper and that most soils offer proportionally more resistance the deeper you press into them.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 23:59:58 by Death by Lasers »

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 17 July 2017, 23:35:32 »
Idea for a new topic:

Hey let's talk about how little there actually is to fight over in space?  No, really.  It's not a fluke that few space battles are played casually or that the rules governing space battles languish behind those for ground battles.  Barring the odd fight on the surface of an asteroid or airless moon, what is there that actually will plausibly actually have two hostile forces involved in fighting each other over?  An orbital insertion or extraction?  Have a gander over at the threads about how does one conduct/defend against a raid... intercepts (whether fought by DropShips, ASFs, or Space-flying Mechs) just rarely happen in the BTU.  And deep space battles are, in the words of the book in which they're governed, a joke for completism's sake rather than meant to actually be used.  IMO space-viable mechs would just be a rules curiosity that doesn't get any play outside of specific scenarios.  Basically, like WarShips.

The Evil Belters support and endorse this message wholeheartedly.

PS The Evil Belters are only in the Sol System and no where else, we swear!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 18 July 2017, 00:00:49 »
Why would a stiff breeze knock the Centurion over?  A 10 meter tall Centurion weighs 50 tons, a 10 meter tall giant man would weigh 12 tons, even with its bulky frame the extra weight should more than even things out and keep it well grounded.  The Centurion (like most mecha) just has proportionally huge feet.
It's the cube-square law again, weight will go up faster then the surface area of the feet unless the 'Mech is low density in which case it will be extremely lightweight for it's size.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 18 July 2017, 00:12:51 »
  I measured the feet, they are proportionally huge.  They give the Centurion a psi of 10 pounds per square inch.

Edit: Why not just do the math, eh? 

I roughly estimate our 2m tall man to have .75m^2 silhouette and our 10 meter tall Centurion, based on the illustration, to have a silhouetted surface area 23.7m^2.  Our 2m tall man conveniently weighs 100kg.  Our mech weighs 500 times more than the man but has only 31.6 times the surface area exposed to the wind.  All other things being equal it would take almost 16 times more wind force to knock over our mech than our man.

After reviewing the illustration I've revised the feet surface area downward which will up the psi.  Our Centurion has (rounded down) 2.2m long by 1.1m wide and mostly rectangular feet.  This gives our mech a foot surface area of 7,502 square inches of surface area standing.  Over this area it distributes 110231 lbs. giving it just under 15 psi or about the same as an Abrams tank or somewhat less than a horse. 

On a side note, armoring the knee won't be an issue.  A Poleyn, as in a knight's armor can fully incase the knee in overlapping plates and offer full mobility, even kinetic impact of a direct hit won't be distributed to the knee due to the rigid plates transferring the energy to the thigh and shin.  The main issue is that a mech (especially a biped) is going to have so much overall surface area that any armor protection would have to be very thin compared to that of a tank.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2017, 10:00:23 by Death by Lasers »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #53 on: 18 July 2017, 07:26:32 »
To further muddy the waters, what about the jump packs from Tactical Operations p. 292-293? Wouldn't those allow you to take your Archer to a moon/space station and operate?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 18 July 2017, 14:52:05 »

The reason I have most often heard is sensors not calibrated for the differences. Personally I think that is BS though. Since LAMs can use sensors at aerospace ranges with no change in tonnage, it sounds like a software issue, mechs should be able to in general, since they can function in that environment... along with anything else that can operate there.

They way I look at it, for Laser weapons it shouldn't matter, PPCs Ballistic and Missile weapons sensors will have to be adjusted for gravity, atmosphere, etc. Though I get the general Idea that that should just be a simple configuration setting. Not something that requires shop time.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 18 July 2017, 15:11:32 »
They way I look at it, for Laser weapons it shouldn't matter, PPCs Ballistic and Missile weapons sensors will have to be adjusted for gravity, atmosphere, etc. Though I get the general Idea that that should just be a simple configuration setting. Not something that requires shop time.

At worst they might have to have multiple "zero'd" settings for the weapons one for ground combat, one for space combat.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 18 July 2017, 18:37:18 »
To further muddy the waters, what about the jump packs from Tactical Operations p. 292-293? Wouldn't those allow you to take your Archer to a moon/space station and operate?
Well I can not see anything that says they can not be used, though I would say that they have the same conversion on thrust as standard but use their built in supplys rather than what you get with the jump jets (which is 2 per jet + any dedicated fuel storage).

Jump packs can be up to 20 tons but fallow external cargo rules, as such up to 25% of the units standard operating mass -3MP or half walking speed (which ever is less) 26% or more is half walking speed, Max Jump MPs are going to be typically the units walking speed, but can be less.
Assuming a 6 jump pack thats 6 tons in mass on a 55 ton mech, provides 2 thrust points and retains standard fuel amounts (72 in this case) will have 21.6km/s of Delta V.

So if accurate a battlemech can have some decent performance with one.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 18 July 2017, 19:58:13 »
At worst they might have to have multiple "zero'd" settings for the weapons one for ground combat, one for space combat.

I'd agree, but the rules-as-written imply that aerospace targeting systems seamlessly handle transitions from TW ranges while landed, Air-to-air ranges after they take off, and then space ranges when they leave the atmosphere.   I'd think there should be some recalibrations necessary but the rules brush it under the degree of granularity.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 18 July 2017, 22:51:20 »

I'd agree, but the rules-as-written imply that aerospace targeting systems seamlessly handle transitions from TW ranges while landed, Air-to-air ranges after they take off, and then space ranges when they leave the atmosphere.   I'd think there should be some recalibrations necessary but the rules brush it under the degree of granularity.

Yeah, my comment was pointed more at a possible fluff point, possibly adding something like "And then they started recalibrating the sensors to do the same thing aerospace fighters could, since they basically used the minor variations on same cockpit design anyway." I wasn't talking about actually needing in game time to do it, or needing to even state it on the design. It should be factory standard honestly.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #59 on: 19 July 2017, 05:51:08 »
Shouldn't the square area of a mech foot be closer to the hundreds and not ten thousands? A human scaled up to 10 meters would only have a foot size of around 150 square inches for each foot. (ground pressure is determined by the weight being on a single foot only)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #60 on: 19 July 2017, 05:55:58 »
Shouldn't the square area of a mech foot be closer to the hundreds and not ten thousands? A human scaled up to 10 meters would only have a foot size of around 150 square inches for each foot. (ground pressure is determined by the weight being on a single foot only)
That's my understanding as well. If we take a 2 meter tall, 100 kilo human and scale him up by a factor of 10 he will be 20 meters tall and weigh 100 tons, which is about right for an Atlas, the problem is his feet will only be 100 times bigger. Now most 'Mechs have big feet, they might be twice the size of a humans, not the 10 times needed to stop problems.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 19 July 2017, 10:21:48 »
  I don't mean to sound like a broken record but mechs don't have big feet they have proportionally huge feet.  Look, just take the image of the Centurion and take it into an art program and measure it out for yourself.  The eyes don't notice how freakishly large the feet are, in part because several other things are also freakishly out of proportion (very wide hips), just like they don't pick up on the fact that heroic scaled miniatures have hands as big as their torsos.  Just think of a mech as a guy in snow shoes.

As to a giant 20 meter tall man you are forgetting that while due to the square cubed law our giant man may weigh 1,000 times more and have only 100 times the surface area on his feet in order to get bogged down he will need to sink 10 times deeper because he is 10 times taller.  This will take more than 10 times the pressure to achieve because of the mechanics of soil compaction.  It should also be remembered that elephants have 4.5 times our psi are quite capable of navigating soft terrain.  Give your giant slightly bigger feet and he can go anywhere a pachyderm can, in fact, given his huge ground clearance he will have better all terrain abilities than an elephant (he would need super strong muscles and bones of course).

The main issue with wheeled and tracked vehicles getting stuck isn't that they sink (although this can also happen of course) it's that they dig themselves into the ground.  Just think of a wheeled and tracked vehicles as using locomotion via Dremel tool or belt sander and you wouldn't be too far off.  If you are using a Dremel and use a low speed with light pressure it will skip off the surface you are trying to ablate and produce locomotion but if you increase the speed or pressure it will bite and sink into it, also one of the reason why when driving on mud or sand you want to use a low gear and low speed.  This is also why a 500 psi galloping horse can gallop on a sandy beach but a 30 psi car will dig itself into the turf.

Of course elephants can get bogged down, but even at 80+ psi on the walk and 35 psi standing they can navigate over all sorts of terrain that would spell death for a 12-15 psi tank.  For example here are some 35psi Elephants (80 psi+ when walking) in a swamp:
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 11:25:25 by Death by Lasers »

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 19 July 2017, 12:19:14 »
There is a little game I like to play sometimes with threads where the OP asks a question: First, go back and read the original post. Then, jump to the last post and assume it contains the answer to that question. Nine times out of ten the result is pretty funny.

I did it just now, and came up with: should we have more space mechs? Yes, because elephants can walk in a swamp.  ;D

I'm not complaining. Blake knows I have derailed plenty of threads. It's just fun to jump in after a while and see what the collective ADD of the internet has done to a topic. Carry on with the pachyderms ladies and gentlemen!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 19 July 2017, 12:21:19 »
Well, the OP's request was granted before he asked for it.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 19 July 2017, 14:55:11 »
The two main issues with real life mechs being combat viable, is reliability, a mech is going to have a lot of moving parts to maintain, far more than any tank will have. 2nd is surface area, a mech is going to have a lot more area to cover in armor than a typical tank, of equal weight a Tank is going to have thicker armor than the mech.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 19 July 2017, 15:17:00 »
  I just realized the wikipedia ground pressure table is completely wrong, ugh.  An Elephant has a ground pressure of 13 psi standing not 35 as wiki-article states.  Horses still have pretty high ground pressure, about 21 psi for a 1600 pound horse.  So our Centurion has slightly more psi than an elephant but slightly less than a horse.

Absolutely on the same page with surface area though.  The thing would to be very thing skinned.  We may in the future see horse and perhaps even elephant sized walking machines, maybe even something akin "spider tank" tank the Chinese were toying with, but I believe they would be niche items for facing unique terrain challenges not replacements to wheeled or tracked vehicles. 

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 19 July 2017, 15:58:48 »
  I just realized the wikipedia ground pressure table is completely wrong, ugh.  An Elephant has a ground pressure of 13 psi standing not 35 as wiki-article states.  Horses still have pretty high ground pressure, about 21 psi for a 1600 pound horse.  So our Centurion has slightly more psi than an elephant but slightly less than a horse.

Absolutely on the same page with surface area though.  The thing would to be very thing skinned.  We may in the future see horse and perhaps even elephant sized walking machines, maybe even something akin "spider tank" tank the Chinese were toying with, but I believe they would be niche items for facing unique terrain challenges not replacements to wheeled or tracked vehicles. 

Amusingly, that would also go back to Dougram, where certain of their Combat Armors were optimized for certain terrains.

As for the idea of "'Mechs in Spaaaaaaaace!" being superior to aerospace fighters, there are areas where they already are, like being immune to SI thresholding the way ASFs are.  Ton for ton, though, they should never be as efficient in space as a machine expressly designed for space.  The added mass of combining a ground locomotion system and an aerospace one (jump jets, in this case), will always put them at a disadvantage...as they should be.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 19 July 2017, 16:40:40 »
Ton for ton, though, they should never be as efficient in space as a machine expressly designed for space. 

Kind of like how mechs will never be as awesome as a submarine when underwater, even though they can operate there alright with UMUs.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 20 July 2017, 17:53:42 »
Kind of like how mechs will never be as awesome as a submarine when underwater, even though they can operate there alright with UMUs.

They can operate there pretty well without UMUs, although their mobility is less than that of an UrbanMech.  O:-)  I had always looked at Quads as a good basis for deep submergence missions.

As for legs in space, I would like to point out that the Mobile Suit developed by the Zeons had legs to give them a cross-terrain performance option. What do I mean? The Zeon Duchy was out of the giant space colonies that orbited earth.  Those were places where they would have to send in an armor unit to bolster their troops. At the same time, the immediate terrain outside those colonies was hard vacuum with little to no objects to settle on. They had limited resources, so they created something that could maximize the resources they did have in the environments they expected to fight.

And, that's what I'm thinking of for Space Mechs. They can be deployed on land, in the sea (space or water), and still be just as effective in each environment. Legs are better than treads in a lot of ways, because they don't have as many vulnerable moving parts. (Think about it. Real hard. What's the one thing that breaks down on a tank often?)

They can be deployed to help defend their transport in the vacuum or on the ground.  I have more to say on this, but I'm out of time, so I'll come back to it later.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 20 July 2017, 18:16:53 »
Daemion, the moment something can FLY there's no need for a major land movement system like legs. Also in Gundam the gyroscope was somehow LosTech

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 20 July 2017, 18:42:09 »
When you are fighting on the ground, landing and walking around is a lot more stable than flying around and crashing. It's also a lot harder to hold territory with flying units than with something on the ground. Being able to fight on the ground rather than just above the ground definitely has it's uses for a generalist unit. You don't neccessarily need legs to fight on the ground, but I can definitely see some value in a truly all terrain combat unit.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 20 July 2017, 19:14:57 »
In Gundam Mobile Suits use their limbs to assist in turning, Basically moving the limbs to change orientation, technically they don't really need them but they are often also locations for thrusters and weapons, and a handy secondary locomotion for use in colony and on the surface.

Amusingly their typical heights of 18m tall (10x of a man) could indicate that they get a +1 to hit on them due to their size (like with Super heavy mechs that are also in that size range).  :D

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 20 July 2017, 19:19:21 »
We should also keep in mind in Gundam, Aerospace Fighter like vehicles are almost non existent in most incarnations of the show. Mobile Suits filled a pretty big gap in the Gundam universe(s) that simple doesn't exist in Battletech.   

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 21 July 2017, 10:39:48 »
(Think about it. Real hard. What's the one thing that breaks down on a tank often?)

It's always the AC or the radio tuning knob.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 21 July 2017, 11:31:57 »
I was going to say the crew.

Yeah, if the crew is in trouble if it's delivered the Wednesday after Taco Tuesday.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #76 on: 21 July 2017, 12:47:02 »
Daemion, the moment something can FLY there's no need for a major land movement system like legs.

Schlock Mercenary would argue otherwise... :)

My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 21 July 2017, 14:57:50 »
In Gundam Mobile Suits use their limbs to assist in turning, Basically moving the limbs to change orientation, technically they don't really need them but they are often also locations for thrusters and weapons, and a handy secondary locomotion for use in colony and on the surface.

Amusingly their typical heights of 18m tall (10x of a man) could indicate that they get a +1 to hit on them due to their size (like with Super heavy mechs that are also in that size range).  :D

This was what I was going to tackle next.  Limbs are much more than just fancy turrets.  One of the things I figured should have been handled for LAMs, which, sadly wasn't, was the ability to avoid damaging collisions much like any sportsman might on the field. It's so much easier to use your arm, leg, or whatever to kick off or redirect your momentum from a potential impact.  And, you get far more angles to choose from with that extra joint putting your thrusters out beyond your body.

Combine this with the gyroscope, which with the tonnages involved, is much more than a fancy, highly durable inner ear. They have the pilot for that. It generates a stabilizing force much like a bicycle, and in an environment where gravity can't help you move around very well, redirecting forces of momentum can do a much better job.

Gyroscopic Stabilization - It works for planets, it works bikes, it works for Mechs.

Nebfer and others have pointed out the energies involved in BTech weapons, especially if you take the current space ranges in mind. (Let alone the old AT1 space ranges where a PPC could reach out to an appreciable fraction of an AU, and still expect to hit something effectively.)  In the RoboTech RPG, they like to point out how the particle cannons of the Zentradi hit like a wrecking ball and force a piloting check on the target hit if it's a Mecha.  The same should probably hold true for any of the weapons in that game. If a cannon round striking a target doesn't get enough resistance to force a breach (via mass - like with another target tank), then it will almost certainly displace the target because of the impact forces involved.

In BattleTech, a single weapon attack, with only a couple exceptions, does not force such a check on a Mech. Why? When it fires its guns, with only one exception in mind, the Mech doesn't have to check for falling over, and yet I see vids of tanks rocking while firing their own main gun. Artillery has to be in place with braces, and the earth shakes when a howitzer fires.  A Mech can fire something like that while on the move and not get knocked on its but. How? That multi-ton gyro. Which is not built in on other Mecha in other settings.

This potentially can be a justification of applying the rule that a fighter can only engage 'ground units' by attacking them in their hex on the larger scale map. It applies at low altitude. I don't see why it can't at high alt and in vacuum.  The potential defensive measure is there to make them difficult targets.

BattleMechs are already halfway to being much more effective space platforms right there, and all they need is the thrust to move kilometers in a minute and a reapplication of lostech cockpit modules to expand their program capacities back to height of Star League levels.

A Difference In Programming?

So, why don't Mechs have the same range capacities as fighters? Well, in reality, it would make for a boring strategic level game where things die quickly, and alone. I've actually played with mechs using low alt ranges (in map sheets) for the numbers in their weapon's range bars, and once you were on a typical 1x2 map set-up, something that was high damage like the AC/20 became pretty damn impressive. Only having really obstructive terrain made a difference in forcing maneuver. Using indirect fire with LRMs actually became viable, and as long as you could use a mobile spotter that could generate a decent modifier, it could be done. Once medium or long range were no longer an issue, hits happened more often. 

Such a game would have to be played out on a map at low-altitude scale for range to be a significant part again. The turn length would have to be at least 30 seconds to a minute to get any meaningful movement. Moving one or two hexes at a time, making piloting rolls to see if you caught sight of an opponent for a shot of opportunity, has a lot of interesting implications, but something that might not be very exciting just initially thinking about it.  (However, I've played some interesting strategic level games and they weren't boring, so I know it could be done for Mecha combat in general, and maybe for Star League era BattleTech, too.)

So, let's get back to justifying 'knife fight' ranges on the ground while keeping the more realistic BVR duels between space fighters and dropships, shall we?

I was initially a proponent of the 'they don't have the program capacity idea', but it was with a caveate: the destruction of the Succession Wars pushed them to it.  Think about where the design for the Mackie came from.  It's a combat capable Industrial Mech with a bunch of money dumped into making it superior to everything of its day. It probably could do spectrum analysis on target materials and determine at what range it could engage a target effectively.  After all, it would be going into combat against inferior machines put together with techniques less than state-of-the-art.  If that could give it an advantage, like by outranging your opponent, why not have that capacity?

And, with as many colony worlds as there were, and are, each with their own potential home-brew armor and air designs, on-the-spot analysis would be essential. This was obviously something Industrials could do. 

Fast forward a century, and they're having to replace old chip-modules that could handle all that fancy electronic footwork with bulkier chip-sets that can't handle the same memory or data transfer capacity.  Something has to go. By this time, almost everything was using the same armor and defensive maneuver technologies, so fancy things like spectral and magnetic analysis isn't as necessary when everyone's using pretty much the same stuff the same way.

At the time I thought this up, I was under the impression that there was extra space required for keeping the machine upright and controlling all those limbs, compared to a simplified solid aerial frame for an aerospace fighter with thruster ports and flaps.  Not as much programming required to keep a fighter airborne as a Mech upright and mobile, so more room for switching range bands.  (Is this why LAM performance in older rule-sets has slowly led to the abysmal performance in the latest incarnation?) But, I think I may be mistaken in that regard.  You have programing dedicated to movement, and it's equally complicated whether its in the air and in space versus keeping upright on the ground.

The other thing to consider is that emphasis was put into keeping BattleMechs in great shape at the detriment of almost all else.  I can't help wonder if maybe fighter craft would have been lumped into that, or if they're on the same pedestal as Mechs. 

In the end, there really is no justification for keeping Mechs limited to combat in their map hex when on the larger scale maps. And, when you delve into eras of high-tech, whether it's the Star League or any time well after the Renaissance, that justification fails even more.

Rule of Cool

Let's face it, if we really want a space game that will keep people's interest, it has to have Mechs.  That's the big draw for BattleTech, after all.  In-universe, the people in charge had and have a big love for BattleMechs, and over centuries of use.  I find it hard to believe someone hasn't taken the next step to really put them into yet another combat environment.  The biggest offender was the Star League, who had the resources to dedicate to the more specialized conventional forces than anyone else, and yet, they went for the Mech. 

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 21 July 2017, 15:01:50 »
I find it hard to believe someone hasn't taken the next step to really put them into yet another combat environment. 

As noted earlier, someone has.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 21 July 2017, 15:05:59 »
As noted earlier, someone has.

I saw that, and it's not as far as I'm wanting to see it go. They're put into space, but they're still not on the same playing level as space fighters. I think it's time that finally changed.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #80 on: 21 July 2017, 15:15:40 »
Schlock Mercenary would argue otherwise... :)

i actually used that strip to make a point about why, even in Alpha Strike, you'd want to use mech mode for fighting as a LAM... people always forget that height means clearer lines of sight, and that even if your movement mods are high, if half the map is shooting at you, you will get hit often..

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #81 on: 21 July 2017, 15:18:12 »
Very true, which is why I love the IntOps rules for LAMs: They give you an actual motivation to use mech mode, something no prior ruleset has done.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Register