Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 162913 times)

kato

• Captain
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #210 on: 16 September 2017, 16:47:41 »
For a little Kemono Friends fix to tide fans over - even if they're technically sponsored stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUMnembozUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_Fgi7vd5I

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #211 on: 16 September 2017, 16:57:09 »
I went super retro-anime watching, watched the original Macross: Do You Remember Love? film....it reminded me why i loved pure non-HG so much.

EDIT: During the film, i was little taken back about one scene. This movie was done in 1984, so it means nothing.  Its just that SDF-1 and Zendradi forces had neograted a truce when they meet up at the alien resident ship that was uncovered on now devastated earth. They announced it, September 11th... :o 

« Last Edit: 16 September 2017, 17:36:06 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #212 on: 16 September 2017, 20:44:19 »
GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS : BATTLOGUE -Episode 2 (Review)

The new episode for the series was released last week on youtube. This episode is bit different from the last one, where you have another pairing of Try characters fighting in a team up match against more powerful AI (we don't see who).  It was nice to see actual players using the Gunpla vs random Gundam characters. However, i have to say, this wasn't as good episode. Action was bit one-side (I'm not saying it wasn't fun to watch), it wasn't as exciting or epic feeling than the first. 

Given this a 10 minute video vs full episode, i can see why the episode was solely focus on action. I do prefer full episode. I guess this saves them money just do fights.   

I wonder if they'll be doing actual full series in the future vs these series of shorts.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 08:05:27 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #213 on: 18 September 2017, 08:10:36 »
Sorry keep rambling on, There looks like there a new interesting action series named blah, reported on ANN.
Called INUYASHIKI LAST HERO, the series about three people who were converted into mechanical/cyborg bodies resembling their old Human selves. Two of them become criminals, one a old man becomes a hero. All of them are doing these things to make them feel alive after aliens reconstructed them.

Sadly, this on a very exclusive network, Amazon Prime Video (I'm not subscribed to it...).  Looks very good from what I've seen of it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #214 on: 19 September 2017, 08:44:07 »
Remember earlier when we were discussing Sony's purchase of Funimation & I suggested Sony was looking to establish Playstation as the global one-stop platform for anime & anime-related content?

Well this looks like one more step in that plan:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-19/ps4-animax-app-gets-exclusive-streaming-programs-soon/.121549

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #215 on: 19 September 2017, 11:25:51 »
Remember earlier when we were discussing Sony's purchase of Funimation & I suggested Sony was looking to establish Playstation as the global one-stop platform for anime & anime-related content?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-19/ps4-animax-app-gets-exclusive-streaming-programs-soon/.121549

Should we be worried about it?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #216 on: 19 September 2017, 11:37:21 »
Not if you own a Playstation. I, for one, welcome our new Sony overlords!  :))

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #217 on: 19 September 2017, 13:15:01 »
I just hope the PS Crunchyroll app keeps working.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #218 on: 19 September 2017, 14:02:11 »
I don't expect any big changes in the near-term. I suspect it'll be a year or two before Sony's master plan all comes together.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #219 on: 19 September 2017, 15:04:39 »
Have a Funimation account, but only have a PS2. I don't wanna be left oooooooouuuuuuuuttttttt!

Oh, and Pocky sticks are yummy.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #220 on: 19 September 2017, 15:27:44 »
Speaking of Playstation, it's that time again! Between this & Gundam VS, I am so glad I own a PS4!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #221 on: 19 September 2017, 16:54:00 »

Thank you so much for that link!   

Never got around to reading the article, but the giant add announcing the release of the Ranma 1/2 OVAs and movies on blu ray was very exciting to see! 
 [rockon]
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #222 on: 19 September 2017, 21:25:28 »
Speaking of Playstation, it's that time again! Between this & Gundam VS, I am so glad I own a PS4!
Awesome.  I know it will never get a NA release, and that makes me sad.   :'(  Sure, could import it, but not being able to understand any of the text would get annoying.  Now, if they had an option to change the text to English, well...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #223 on: 19 September 2017, 22:37:07 »
Awesome.  I know it will never get a NA release, and that makes me sad.   :'(  Sure, could import it, but not being able to understand any of the text would get annoying.  Now, if they had an option to change the text to English, well...
Some games have that. And because of that, certain publishers offer those games for import and refuse to make full localization for foreign ( = North American) markets. Their reasoning is official localization would require censorship of which they refuse. I wonder why they make such claims... Wait, is there actually some truth in that? But what I have seen of certain Japanese games, it is Japanese versions that are censored, and official English translated versions are uncensored!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #224 on: 20 September 2017, 06:05:14 »
I think i worry more is about access.  Not everyone going give up their says XBox or Switch so they can trade off for PS4 or PS(next) so to watch anime exclusively on Animplex app.  The I more worry that certain shows will be inaccessible to anyone but PS or Sony subscribers.
That's not good if you (the anime makers) wants to get your product out to make money when it's limited to certain viewership pool.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #225 on: 20 September 2017, 07:50:29 »
I think i worry more is about access.  Not everyone going give up their says XBox or Switch so they can trade off for PS4 or PS(next) so to watch anime exclusively on Animplex app.  The I more worry that certain shows will be inaccessible to anyone but PS or Sony subscribers.
That's not good if you (the anime makers) wants to get your product out to make money when it's limited to certain viewership pool.

And how is that any different than what Amazon or Netflix is doing?
That just means that if people really want their anime, but not the hassle, they'll go the pirate route.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #226 on: 20 September 2017, 10:52:48 »
I did a 3 month anime binge to mine some plots for my novels.  8)

So far my two favorites are Code Gease and Knights of Sidonia. Excellent robot animes.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #227 on: 20 September 2017, 17:32:51 »
And how is that any different than what Amazon or Netflix is doing?
That just means that if people really want their anime, but not the hassle, they'll go the pirate route.

The big difference is that Amazon and Netflix aren't device specific.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #228 on: 20 September 2017, 17:59:46 »
The big difference is that Amazon and Netflix aren't device specific.
True, but they offer an exclusivity that either through a lot of money (Prime + Anime Strike) or time (usually a full season after the show airs in Japan). Which amounts to the same thing.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #229 on: 20 September 2017, 20:49:00 »
Where?  Every time I go looking for any info on it I'm directed to an article on or a store selling the Japanese release.

I got mine through Right Stuf
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #230 on: 23 September 2017, 23:29:19 »
Oh goodie...
Time to clear stuff off of the DVR again...

Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 Dub is gonna start airing on Toonami 10/07/17.
Maybe I should actually get around to watch the S2 Subbed eps on GundamInfo's Youtube channel.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #231 on: 24 September 2017, 11:33:07 »
Maybe I should actually get around to watch the S2 Subbed eps on GundamInfo's Youtube channel.
Not available in my country. Doesn't matter: I've already seen it on Crunchyroll. Just heads up to those who get the same message on YouTube as I did.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #232 on: 24 September 2017, 15:50:23 »
Not available in my country. Doesn't matter: I've already seen it on Crunchyroll. Just heads up to those who get the same message on YouTube as I did.
Odd...
Then they must region-locking it for NA only then.
weird...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #233 on: 24 September 2017, 16:33:42 »
Something new coming up, but not crazy it's become a Hollywood adaption according to ANN.

It's interesting scifi background.  I've never heard of the series.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #234 on: 24 September 2017, 17:42:54 »
Sooooo, Princess Principal wrapped up in a great way that brought the team together without closing off the opportunity for new stories! Best anime of 2017, in my reckoning! What a blast of a ride! The characters were great, but it's been a while since I've watched an anime with such knock-out writing & on-point art direction! Love it! Love it! Love it! {>{>

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #235 on: 24 September 2017, 18:11:30 »
Sooooo, Princess Principal wrapped up in a great way that brought the team together without closing off the opportunity for new stories! Best anime of 2017, in my reckoning! What a blast of a ride! The characters were great, but it's been a while since I've watched an anime with such knock-out writing & on-point art direction! Love it! Love it! Love it! {>{>
So right now I'm in a place where the internet costs me about $10/gb, and part of the carefully rationed allowance is for Princess Principal....

and now I'm going to go get the final episode. Along with Made in Abyss.

I was kind of hoping that it would be a two-cour series, because of the numbering (the final episodes are Case 22+ after all!) and that the episode which was about their, ah, old classmate would be a cliffhanger for the rest of the season. Alas, was not to be.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #236 on: 24 September 2017, 18:54:50 »
I didn't get to finish Princess Principal :( stupid anime strike...

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #237 on: 25 September 2017, 12:32:55 »
And in 'WTH happened there?' news...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-25/kemono-friends-director-tatsuki-no-longer-working-on-the-anime/.121827

Twitter and various other sites are on fire.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #238 on: 25 September 2017, 13:02:50 »
Rumor is Tatsuki asked for more money & Kadokawa told him to kick rocks. Considering his pedigree is far less established than a lot of the directors Kadokawa works with, & how Japanese corporations in general are highly resistant to bowing to pressure from employees, I'm really not surprised.

Kemono Friends didn't impress me at all, so I may be a poor judge, but I have to wonder how much Tatsuki even had to do with its success. Most of the praise for Kemono Friends seems built on the scenario and memes about the characters, neither of which Tatsuki created. If his directing were red-hot I have to imagine the presentation would have been better from the start, even with the exceedingly low budget they had.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2017, 13:54:51 by MadCapellan »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #239 on: 25 September 2017, 13:25:00 »
He wasnt just the director, he was head writer.
Remember that the entire animation team consisted of about 10-12 people total, not counting voice actors. Those memes are built around stuff he put into the show.

Register